Derby #221: Maps Redux!

Not in Kansas anymore

No maps of fictional worlds you didn't create.

Rejected because: No maps of fictional worlds you didn't create.

add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


Decided this was a good opportunity to bring this one back It got about six minutes to compete the first time around, but I redrew it and cleaned up the execution- hope you enjoy the outcome

skirochester


quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


I do really like this design... makes me laugh. I remember it from before.

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
ramyb wrote:Decided this was a good opportunity to bring this one back It got about six minutes to compete the first time around, but I redrew it and cleaned up the execution- hope you enjoy the outcome


If something is rejected you're allowed to resub it for another derby?

Also, that thing was up for way more than 6 minutes.

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


Nice, but I feel like it should say, "You Aren't Here."

jboshaw


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


Wyoming's abbreviation is WY, not WI.

jboshaw


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
jboshaw wrote:Wyoming's abbreviation is WY, not WI.


hahaha ignore meeee... I was looking at Wisconsin. sorry!

micisaninja


quality posts: 0 Private Messages micisaninja
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


Toto kind of looks like a cat. And I do like the idea of it saying "You aren't here." Overall, GMV!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
curli76 wrote:If something is rejected you're allowed to resub it for another derby?

Also, that thing was up for way more than 6 minutes.


of course you are. the rules might be different, woot might have decided they shouldn't have rejected it, lots of reasons. it's revised, too, so you are certainly allowed to revise something and resub it.

bluejester


quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


I know that the rules say no maps of worlds that you didn't create, and I know that you (Ramyb) have clearly marked Missouri on the map.

However, that being said, underneath Dorothy and Toto you have clearly laid out the yellow brick road from OZ. I'm not tryin to be a jerk here, but this skates way too close to the line for me.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here. I actually think this is one of the cleaner designs you've submitted. Also, I got a chuckle out of the GPS car in the water design you did. But, I honestly feel like this design should be pulled or rejected.

gamingguru05


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gamingguru05
bluejester wrote:I know that the rules say no maps of worlds that you didn't create, and I know that you (Ramyb) have clearly marked Missouri on the map.

However, that being said, underneath Dorothy and Toto you have clearly laid out the yellow brick road from OZ. I'm not tryin to be a jerk here, but this skates way too close to the line for me.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here. I actually think this is one of the cleaner designs you've submitted. Also, I got a chuckle out of the GPS car in the water design you did. But, I honestly feel like this design should be pulled or rejected.


Woot regular prints shirts with much less parody. As you pointed out the map is clearly not of a mythical place. I don't see the problem.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
bluejester wrote:I know that the rules say no maps of worlds that you didn't create, and I know that you (Ramyb) have clearly marked Missouri on the map.

However, that being said, underneath Dorothy and Toto you have clearly laid out the yellow brick road from OZ. I'm not tryin to be a jerk here, but this skates way too close to the line for me.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here. I actually think this is one of the cleaner designs you've submitted. Also, I got a chuckle out of the GPS car in the water design you did. But, I honestly feel like this design should be pulled or rejected.


The rules state no maps of fictional worlds you didn't create- the map here is of the United States, which I sincerely hope is not a fictional world ;) The rest of the design is there to create context, but I don't think this is skating any lines.

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
ramyb wrote:The rules state no maps of fictional worlds you didn't create- the map here is of the United States, which I sincerely hope is not a fictional world ;) The rest of the design is there to create context, but I don't think this is skating any lines.


Gotta agree with R. here. . . the background is of a fictional world, but they're looking at a map of the U.S. I'm not totally sure what message he's going for here, (is she stuck in Oz, or is she stuck in Missouri?), but I think he's working within the rules.

If it was a GPS of the Yellow Brick Road, that'd be different. That'd be against the rules (although I think it'd be pretty cool).

Narfcake


quality posts: 280 Private Messages Narfcake
curli76 wrote:If it was a GPS of the Yellow Brick Road, that'd be different. That'd be against the rules (although I think it'd be pretty cool).


Yellow Brick Road does exist in real life, so even that could be within the rules.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Narfcake wrote:Yellow Brick Road does exist in real life, so even that could be within the rules.


For the record, I believe there is also one in Missouri

palookaboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy
bluejester wrote:However, that being said, underneath Dorothy and Toto you have clearly laid out the yellow brick road from OZ. I'm not tryin to be a jerk here, but this skates way too close to the line for me.


Nah, that's being a bit picky. I not a Ramy guy, but I don't see a problem with the road any more than I think the girl is a "celebrity likeness" of Judy Garland.

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
bluejester wrote:I know that the rules say no maps of worlds that you didn't create, and I know that you (Ramyb) have clearly marked Missouri on the map.

However, that being said, underneath Dorothy and Toto you have clearly laid out the yellow brick road from OZ. I'm not tryin to be a jerk here, but this skates way too close to the line for me.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here. I actually think this is one of the cleaner designs you've submitted. Also, I got a chuckle out of the GPS car in the water design you did. But, I honestly feel like this design should be pulled or rejected.


If nothing else, I'm just amused by the "I'm not trying to be/sound like a jerk here" in two consecutive sentences.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


Is this serious? The US is not a fictional world I didn't create

TonyGreyfox


quality posts: 3 Private Messages TonyGreyfox
ramyb wrote:Is this serious? The US is not a fictional world I didn't create


I *knew* that place south of me was fake the minute I stepped into it. No way can any real country be that crazy.

I think we're going to need an explanation on this one. Otherwise, I call shenanigans.

bottlehed


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bottlehed
ramyb wrote:Is this serious? The US is not a fictional world I didn't create


I guess in this derby woot wants no reference to anything in pop culture.

joemail11


quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
bottlehed wrote:I guess in this derby woot wants no reference to anything in pop culture.


It appears that way, given the other rejections under "no maps of fictional worlds." If they were a little tighter with the rules, this could have been avoided. Instead, were stuck with some nebulous rejectionating.

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
joemail11 wrote:It appears that way, given the other rejections under "no maps of fictional worlds." If they were a little tighter with the rules, this could have been avoided. Instead, were stuck with some nebulous rejectionating.


Huh. Well, at least they're being relatively consistent. Though, as you duly noted, this could have been easily avoided if Woot had been clearer in the rules.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


This rejection is bogus and forced the artist to create a new design that is not as good.
Fie on ye, rejectionator.

move along

stingray69


quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


The irony of this rejection is staggering.

bluejester


quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:If nothing else, I'm just amused by the "I'm not trying to be/sound like a jerk here" in two consecutive sentences.


That's because we have snakes that visit on Wednesdays around here and I don't want to be lumped in with them simply because I get a little vocal about thinking a design should be rejected.

mgarns


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mgarns
j5 wrote:This rejection is bogus and forced the artist to create a new design that is not as good.
Fie on ye, rejectionator.


totally agree with you the both designs fit in their criteria but the old on is much better

mightyrain


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


I'm calling foul on this rejection. The United States of America, while it sometimes seems like a fictional land, is a real place. If you reject this design based on it being a "map of a fictional place", then you also have to reject another 30 designs.

The road is not part of the map! Thus it shouldn't get him das boot!

palookaboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy

Yeah, I don't get the rejection either. But I guess in the interest of balance, there are plenty of Ramy shirts that should have been rejected for rule violations that weren't...

ArdillaCiega


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega
Re: Not in Kansas anymore

"Rejected because: No maps of fictional worlds you didn't create."

Clearly not the case. There's only one map in the design and it is of an actual place. Trust me, I live there.

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

audentio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages audentio
Re: Not in Kansas anymore


Who the BLOODY LOOK BEHIND YOU! is rejecting all these designs?? He needs to be fired immediately. What imbecile thinks the US is fictional?

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
ramyb wrote:The US is not a fictional world I didn't create


This sentence has been making my head hurt for several days. I really wish woot had chosen different wording for their rule. lol

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
yankeebird wrote:This sentence has been making my head hurt for several days. I really wish woot had chosen different wording for their rule. lol


Double negative FTW!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail