Derby #225: Australia
+455

Australian Army Knife

Australian Army Knife
add a comment

Comments

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Australian Army Knife


glad it has a bottle beer opener!

captainassassin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainassassin
Re: Australian Army Knife


I'm pretty sure this is a "Crocodile Dundee" reference, which falls under pop-culture.

But let's sit back and see if the rejection fairy pays you a visit...

joelongbow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelongbow
Re: Australian Army Knife


Niiiice I have a few friends that would buy one of these...the shirt and the knife

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
captainassassin wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a "Crocodile Dundee" reference, which falls under pop-culture.

But let's sit back and see if the rejection fairy pays you a visit...


Yeah, I'd have to agree. It's nearly as overt as the other "knife" shirt that was rejected earlier, but it's still relying on the same source. I'd be surprised to not see this one rejected.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

axphw1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
captainassassin wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a "Crocodile Dundee" reference, which falls under pop-culture.

But let's sit back and see if the rejection fairy pays you a visit...


disagree- an individual who hadn't seen that movie could appreciate this

ianweller


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianweller
axphw1 wrote:disagree- an individual who hadn't seen that movie could appreciate this


Such as myself. What the heck is "Crocodile Dundee" and blah blah blah blah blah

cmcdeac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmcdeac
captainassassin wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a "Crocodile Dundee" reference, which falls under pop-culture.


I was wondering the same thing...but I really like this design.

grayehound


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound
captainassassin wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a "Crocodile Dundee" reference, which falls under pop-culture.

But let's sit back and see if the rejection fairy pays you a visit...




Wow, I had to go back to see what that reference was about and now that I've found that seen on YouTube I see that there could be a concern. It's close, I admit. I'm just glad I added in the bottle opener because that's the two things I was thinking about about the Aussies I know...tough blokes and never without a beer in hand.

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
axphw1 wrote:disagree- an individual who hadn't seen that movie could appreciate this


I disagree. If you haven't seen the movie, why is the fact that it's a bigger knife funny? That's a pretty crucial step in the logic for this shirt to be humorous. Without that experience or at least knowledge of it, it really fails to be funny or make sense.

I haven't SEEN the movie, but I'm aware of the reference, so I understand it.

Although I wouldn't exactly fault the rejectionator for passing over this.

jgolando


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgolando
Re: Australian Army Knife



I've never seen the movie, and I thought it was hilarious. And I'm female. Not that that's pertinent.

D3lusional


quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
jgolando wrote:I've never seen the movie, and I thought it was hilarious. And I'm female. Not that that's pertinent.


What about it exactly did you find hilarious?

llamassassin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages llamassassin
Re: Australian Army Knife


Ok, this is pretty brilliant. Made me laugh.

nikk3r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikk3r
D3lusional wrote:What about it exactly did you find hilarious?

I'm not the one you're asking, but I'm in the same boat. I don't know the reference, and I think it's hilarious.

I find it funny because: it suggests that Australians are badass, and furthermore, I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing you would need to survive in the wild out there.

That's my interpretation, anyways.. "No pop culture references" is a really vague requirement, and I don't feel that the heart behind this design is violating the purpose of the rule.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Australian Army Knife


Funny stuff. The Australian Flag detail is a nice touch. +1

Yoshifan823


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yoshifan823
HeartlineTwist wrote:I disagree. If you haven't seen the movie, why is the fact that it's a bigger knife funny? That's a pretty crucial step in the logic for this shirt to be humorous. Without that experience or at least knowledge of it, it really fails to be funny or make sense.

I haven't SEEN the movie, but I'm aware of the reference, so I understand it.

Although I wouldn't exactly fault the rejectionator for passing over this.


I dunno, when I think Austrailia, after I think of all the cute fuzzy things, I think of all of the things that are 10 times bigger there: snakes, spiders, fish, etc. Bigger things that want you dead, bigger knife. Those Swiss guys are really wussy.

psycon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages psycon

...

Jaypaulo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jaypaulo

I didn't know the reference and think this is pretty funny. Great work!

greenmrt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenmrt
Re: Australian Army Knife


Hilarious! Will definitely buy!

jewelwing


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Re: Australian Army Knife


I totally got the reference, even tho I was really young when that movie came out. Excellent way to portray it!

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
nikk3r wrote:I find it funny because: it suggests that Australians are badass, and furthermore, I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing you would need to survive in the wild out there.

I too am in the same boat, never seen the movie, and this is exactly what I thought of when I saw the shirt. It just seems to say "SWISS army knives just don't cut it in the down under."

But I also understand the pop-culture rule too, and while it can be vague, it is there for a reason.

I really like the placement and color choices, by the way, very appealing. Though the beer bottle opener I would have made just a slight bit larger in proportion to the handle of the knife.

tjparson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjparson
Re: Australian Army Knife


Although this is a pop culture reference it also hold quite a bit of humor in the character of those living in the outback. I enjoy the fact that there are only two things on the knife: the bottle opener (for beer of course) and the knife! And as much as I love this shirt, I feel as though it's lacking something in the background.

KaylaJ


quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
tjparson wrote:Although this is a pop culture reference it also hold quite a bit of humor in the character of those living in the outback. I enjoy the fact that there are only two things on the knife: the bottle opener (for beer of course) and the knife! And as much as I love this shirt, I feel as though it's lacking something in the background.


I agree. Would have been interesting if they added some background of leaves like one was going through the brush.

Bulnes


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bulnes
Re: Australian Army Knife


Now THAT'S a knife!!

Love it

Woots: twelve
Shirts: fifty five...wow.. I gotta get another hobby

kerrdog8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerrdog8

It's in between a Fosters reference and a Crocodile Dundee reference, but I think it toes the acceptable line perfectly.

grayehound


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound
KaylaJ wrote:I agree. Would have been interesting if they added some background of leaves like one was going through the brush.


Oooooooooooo....where are you people when I have an hour to do these things and needed an idea for a background?? That would have been perfect! Oh well, maybe next time.

jenihana


quality posts: 3 Private Messages jenihana

If this were to print, I'd definitely have to mention it to my Australian knife/stick fighting grand master. He'd appreciate it.

Flashkill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flashkill
Just because you see a design as being based off a movie doesn't make it pop culture now. It may have been pop culture in the 80's and part of the 90's but that doesn't make it pop culture today. I work with youth and college students and I can't say any of them have ever referenced Crocodile Dundee or Paul Hogan. Most of them probably know nothing about it. I am pretty sure the no pop culture is Representative of current pop culture, to say no pop culture from any period of time would be like telling Hollywood you can only make original movies. Though that would be great to keep things original we draw from what we know which influences what we do.

captainassassin wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a "Crocodile Dundee" reference, which falls under pop-culture.

But let's sit back and see if the rejection fairy pays you a visit...

geneotype


quality posts: 0 Private Messages geneotype
I think what the judges have to do (and apparently did) is ask "Does the design stand on its own when divorced from any pop reference?" If the answer is no, then the design is rejected. There may or may not be a pop ref in my design, but if you don't know the ref the concept is still crystal clear.

What is likely the result of subconscious memory of something from that movie is the shape of the knife. It just seemed so perfectly Aussie for some reason.



Flashkill wrote:Just because you see a design as being based off a movie doesn't make it pop culture now. It may have been pop culture in the 80's and part of the 90's but that doesn't make it pop culture today. I work with youth and college students and I can't say any of them have ever referenced Crocodile Dundee or Paul Hogan. Most of them probably know nothing about it. I am pretty sure the no pop culture is Representative of current pop culture, to say no pop culture from any period of time would be like telling Hollywood you can only make original movies. Though that would be great to keep things original we draw from what we know which influences what we do.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Australian Army Knife


I don't really think this stands alone outside of the Crocodile Dundee reference.

However, the most interesting thing to me would be if this prints, how large will it be and how low will it sit. I can fully see this looking like a giant knife erection.

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
grayehound wrote:Oooooooooooo....where are you people when I have an hour to do these things and needed an idea for a background?? That would have been perfect! Oh well, maybe next time.

Best place to find 'em is in the pre-derby threads

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
mrwednesday wrote:I can fully see this looking like a giant knife erection.


just like a bedbug!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

uhcougar1982


quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhcougar1982
Re: Australian Army Knife


This is a knife! I wanted a crocodile Dundee shirt so i hope this one wins.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
bluetuba wrote:just like a bedbug!


It pleases me greatly that people know about traumatic insemination!

missmelis


quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
mrwednesday wrote:It pleases me greatly that people know about traumatic insemination!


Have you ever read/heard a sentence and thought, "I bet no one has ever said that before in the history of written/spoken language"?

... Yeah, I'm having one of those moments right now.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Rhonwyn22


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Rhonwyn22
Re: Australian Army Knife


I have a 16 year old and he knows who Crocadile Dundee is. He loves this design. I hope it wins!

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
mrwednesday wrote:It pleases me greatly that people know about traumatic insemination!


I learned it from Isabella Rosselini.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

leostaley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leostaley
Re: Australian Army Knife


How do i vote for this?

leostaley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leostaley
Re: Australian Army Knife


Yeah, I'd really like to vote for this! this is an AUSTRALIAN army knife- screw swiss army! I love it, how it's just got a huge knife and a bottle opener! LOL. I'd buy this in a heartbeat for my mate (lol) from austrailia.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail