Derby #226: Math in Nature
+305

Bird Range

Bird Range
add a comment

Comments

schroddie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroddie
Re: Bird Range

Angry biiiiiird!! Love love!

spacecadet08


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacecadet08
Re: Bird Range


Umm .... check your units? I think your distance just got dimensionless ...

jupilberry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
spacecadet08 wrote:Umm .... check your units? I think your distance just got dimensionless ...


Then it probably also explains why I am pretty bad at the game.

jeff84401


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeff84401

Beware of artists trying to correct your math.... Your equation is fine, units check.

But, FWIW, you'd still suck at this game because your equation--while fine--is written in terms of V, and not in terms of mm stretched (or how far back you pull the sling to generate a given velocity for a given sized projectile). Work on that and you have something, my friend....

Anyway, great shirt. GMV.

clcaruthers


quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers
jeff84401 wrote:Beware of artists trying to correct your math.... Your equation is fine, units check.

But, FWIW, you'd still suck at this game because your equation--while fine--is written in terms of V, and not in terms of mm stretched (or how far back you pull the sling to generate a given velocity for a given sized projectile). Work on that and you have something, my friend....

Anyway, great shirt. GMV.


when you go into displacement and force, you begin to start treating the rubber band as a spring with a given spring constant K. Then you go thru the whole F=-Kdx, a rubber bands K value can not be treated as a true spring for this application, blah, blah, blah. Its def easier to approach it with a given velocity and angle to determine distance traveled. Way easier to approach the angle at know release points with know velocities

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

crapface


quality posts: 3 Private Messages crapface
Re: Bird Range


The only problem with this, is that it assumes you're aiming at a pig at the same height as the launch point.

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
Re: Bird Range


I had a similar concept but couldn't find the time to do it, so I'm glad that someone did it justice. GMV +1

xepherys


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xepherys
clcaruthers wrote:when you go into displacement and force, you begin to start treating the rubber band as a spring with a given spring constant K. Then you go thru the whole F=-Kdx, a rubber bands K value can not be treated as a true spring for this application, blah, blah, blah. Its def easier to approach it with a given velocity and angle to determine distance traveled. Way easier to approach the angle at know release points with know velocities


This is the nerdiest discussion I've ever seen on woot. +1

lisonallie


quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
xepherys wrote:This is the nerdiest discussion I've ever seen on woot. +1


it's pretty hilarious xD

jnrice


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnrice
crapface wrote:The only problem with this, is that it assumes you're aiming at a pig at the same height as the launch point.


good point. I instantly thought about the "k" issue, but didn't catch the elevation part. GMV

jupilberry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
Re: Bird Range


There is no way my bird brain can do it. But, can anybody out there come up with the formula that accounts for all the variables?

stacvand


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stacvand
jupilberry wrote:There is no way my bird brain can do it. But, can anybody out there come up with the formula that accounts for all the variables?


Pray!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail