Derby #235: Dubious Honors

Here's to a long career, cadet!

No celebrity likeness

Rejected because: No celebrity likeness

add a comment

Comments

ghostglide


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghostglide

It's funny, but what's the dubious honor?

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 162 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
ghostglide wrote:It's funny, but what's the dubious honor?


Red shirt, star trek, running joke.

sgrimes87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgrimes87

Great shirt, but the lower case "L" in "class" is really bothering me =P

ghostglide


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghostglide
DianaSprinkle wrote:Red shirt, star trek, running joke.


I understand the joke. But the red shirt isn't a dubious honor, or any kind of award or title.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
ghostglide wrote:I understand the joke. But the red shirt isn't a dubious honor, or any kind of award or title.


The way it's being used here seems like a sort of diploma or promotion, either of which can definitely be considered an honor I would think.

specsmachine


quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

That guy really resembles a younger Chris Pine. Don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's a nice touch.

jclough59


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jclough59
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


I tried to enter a drawing of a celebrity once and was told it wasn't allowed. And it was a really bad drawing too. I doubt anyone would have recognized Arthur Fonzerelli from my lousy artwork. This is obviously Chris Pine. Oh well. Lotsa luck, dude.

gallifreyk9


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gallifreyk9

Star Fleet considers it an honor for anyone to graduate. The fact that he is receiving the uniform is a dubious honor. I want this shirt. Maybe It's just someone who looks like Chris Pine?

I hope you win!
G

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


the look on his face is priceless! definitely an "Oh SH--!" moment!

panpear


quality posts: 3 Private Messages panpear
sgrimes87 wrote:Great shirt, but the lower case "L" in "class" is really bothering me =P


It wasn't bothering me until you pointed it out. D:

But this is a really funny idea! I almost laughed out loud until I remembered I was at work and should probably keep a little more quiet.

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


The shirt template looks like heather, but the blow-up is on silver or something similar. They don't do heather anymore - that template could get this rejected.

khallion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages khallion
It's intended to be on a silver shirt...I am not sure why that shirt in the corner looks heather, I thought I had it on silver in the template.
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:The shirt template looks like heather, but the blow-up is on silver or something similar. They don't do heather anymore - that template could get this rejected.

lilgreymouse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilgreymouse
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


At the risk of sounding like a HUGE nerd, the red shirt thing only works with the original series... You have a Next Generation uniform there, so the joke is kind of lost. Captain Picard wore a red uniform, and he didn't die. ;)

I'm trying hard not to mention that the date in the background is almost 100 years after Starfleet would even issue TNG style uniforms, but then I'd REALLY start coming off as a basement dwelling freak.

All that being said, it's a funny and well drawn shirt, but it would be way better if it had a original series red shirt!

zoobawa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoobawa
lilgreymouse wrote:At the risk of sounding like a HUGE nerd, the red shirt thing only works with the original series... You have a Next Generation uniform there, so the joke is kind of lost. Captain Picard wore a red uniform, and he didn't die. ;)


False, in the JJ Abrams movie the only person who wore a Red Shirt (that went to a planet) was the British Engineer Dude who decided to not open his parachute until it was too late and he died. (an obvious nod to TOS)

amroyo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo
lilgreymouse wrote:At the risk of sounding like a HUGE nerd, the red shirt thing only works with the original series... You have a Next Generation uniform there, so the joke is kind of lost. Captain Picard wore a red uniform, and he didn't die. ;)


Actually, it is the cadet uniform used in the 2009 movie (see below). Since the 2009 movie takes place in an alternate TOS timeline the joke stands.



Edited:
Unless you mean the "red shirt" is the wrong uniform because it has the wrong Starfleet emblem, then you may be right. I'd be more concerned that the use of the Starfleet emblem, which doesn't look generic enough, might not pass copyright.

Shame because I love the shirt.

cpresti


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpresti
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


Oh My Gookie! it stinks of nerd in here! :D Love the shirt though, I hope it does well!

Check out my Food design please!

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


All the nerd and trekker comments aside, can you actually see yourself wearing this? I don't argue the illo is nice and joke is fun if you're in. But the comp is blocky and, from what I see on the shirt given (heather or no) it's small. This just doesn't float my boat. Or, starship. Frickin' nice line skilz tho.

lilgreymouse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilgreymouse
amroyo wrote:Actually, it is the cadet uniform used in the 2009 movie (see below). Since the 2009 movie takes place in an alternate TOS timeline the joke stands.



Edited:
Unless you mean the "red shirt" is the wrong uniform because it has the wrong Starfleet emblem, then you may be right. I'd be more concerned that the use of the Starfleet emblem, which doesn't look generic enough, might not pass copyright.

Shame because I love the shirt.


I didn't mean the cadet's uniform. The shirt being handed to the cadet is a TNG style red uniform. And if it's the new alternate timeline, it's even worse cause the TNG shirt wouldn't even exist yet!

Dolemite


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite
I love this because it reminds me of a propaganda recruitment poster.

lilgreymouse wrote:I didn't mean the cadet's uniform. The shirt being handed to the cadet is a TNG style red uniform. And if it's the new alternate timeline, it's even worse cause the TNG shirt wouldn't even exist yet!

perdita00


quality posts: 0 Private Messages perdita00
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


This will be my second Woot purchase if it wins!!!

kwade2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwade2
Dolemite wrote:I love this because it reminds me of a propaganda recruitment poster.


Yes! I like this shirt

dfunk29


quality posts: 54 Private Messages dfunk29
cpresti wrote:Oh My Gookie! it stinks of nerd in here! :D Love the shirt though, I hope it does well!


I agree! But I'm loving all of the debate about the alternate universe, because I totally agree, TGN wouldn't exist at all yet. Loving all the comments!


bongosolo


quality posts: 11 Private Messages bongosolo
sgrimes87 wrote:Great shirt, but the lower case "L" in "class" is really bothering me =P


Wish you hadn't pointed it out! Definitely GMV anyway and I will hope there's a chance for this to get fixed before the print!

speedlazer


quality posts: 2 Private Messages speedlazer
Re: Here's to a long career, cadet!


This was the best design in the derby, and I frankly see no resemblance between the guy on the shirt and Chris Pine. They're reaching.

officeink


quality posts: 3 Private Messages officeink
speedlazer wrote:This was the best design in the derby, and I frankly see no resemblance between the guy on the shirt and Chris Pine. They're reaching.


Agreed! Why all the rejections of pop-culture referenced designs?

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
speedlazer wrote:This was the best design in the derby, and I frankly see no resemblance between the guy on the shirt and Chris Pine. They're reaching.


Really?
have you looked at the pics in the thread?

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

khallion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages khallion
Thanks. I appreciate that. I was pretty disappointed. I am kind of new to Woot, thuis was my second entry ever.
I used that reference photo for the cadet uniform, but I was not at all trying to make it look like Pine, I wanted it to look like a random guy. Guess I was looking at the photo too much and subconsciously did it? Bummer.

speedlazer wrote:This was the best design in the derby, and I frankly see no resemblance between the guy on the shirt and Chris Pine. They're reaching.

ellegee


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee
khallion wrote:Thanks. I appreciate that. I was pretty disappointed. I am kind of new to Woot, thuis was my second entry ever.
I used that reference photo for the cadet uniform, but I was not at all trying to make it look like Pine, I wanted it to look like a random guy. Guess I was looking at the photo too much and subconsciously did it? Bummer.


I hope you can maybe tweak the guy to lessen the resemblance and resubmit this as a daily shirt. I love it!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail