Derby #239: The Year You Were Born: Redux!

1977 - Dark Side

We can't run this

Rejected because: We can't run this

add a comment

Comments

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


"1977 - Dark Side"

A mash up of Apple and the Death Star. Since Star Wars came out in theaters and Apple was incorporated in the year 1977...

Edited for more clarity.

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
DianaSprinkle wrote:"1977 - Dark Side"

A mash up of Apple and the Death Star. Since Both Star Wars and Apple came out in the year 1977...


Brilliant, especially in light of Apple's recent human rights violation accusations.

griffington


quality posts: 0 Private Messages griffington
curli76 wrote:Brilliant, especially in light of Apple's recent human rights violation accusations.


Agreed. Topical AND subversive? Count me in.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


um...
pedantic Star Wars
That is the RotJ Death star.
So...

move along

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
j5 wrote:um...
pedantic Star Wars
That is the RotJ Death star.
So...


LOL. Hmm, your right... well, they had to build the first one at some point? =D It's not like the death star wasn't in the first movie.

Um I'm just going to wave my hands and wait and see what woot does. I'm more worried that the Apple part may not pass.

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


Yeah hate to break it to you but not only is the death star the wrong one, Apple came out in 1976 with the Apple 1....

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
tjost wrote:Yeah hate to break it to you but not only is the death star the wrong one, Apple came out in 1976 with the Apple 1....


Cough.

January 3, 1977 – Apple Computer Inc. is incorporated.

June 5, 1977 - The first Apple II series computers go on sale.

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
DianaSprinkle wrote:Cough.

January 3, 1977 – Apple Computer Inc. is incorporated.

June 5, 1977 - The first Apple II series computers go on sale.


Cough cough cough

Founded April 1, 1976 (1976-04-01) (incorporated January 3, 1977 as Apple Computer, Inc.)

And as you say the Apple II series came out in 77 the Apple I series with 4k of ram came out in 76....

dcroe05


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05
DianaSprinkle wrote:"1977 - Dark Side"

A mash up of Apple and the Death Star. Since Both Star Wars and Apple came out in the year 1977...


Do I get 0.0000001% of the credit of the inspiration? If that's too high, I'll take less.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
tjost wrote:Cough cough cough

Founded April 1, 1976 (1976-04-01) (incorporated January 3, 1977 as Apple Computer, Inc.)

And as you say the Apple II series came out in 77 the Apple I series with 4k of ram came out in 76....


=D =D =D

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
DianaSprinkle wrote:=D =D =D


I still like the design it just isn't factually correct on any level

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjost wrote:I still like the design it just isn't factually correct on any level


Little known fact. DianaSprinkle was actually born on the 76/77 cusp.
True story.

move along

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
DianaSprinkle wrote:LOL. Hmm, your right... well, they had to build the first one at some point? =D It's not like the death star wasn't in the first movie.

Um I'm just going to wave my hands and wait and see what woot does. I'm more worried that the Apple part may not pass.


I think it's clear enough that it's a reference to Star Wars in general. If you'd gone with an Ewok, there might be a better argument for rejection.

The first one is under construction at the end of Episode III.

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


*smoker's cough (wait, what?)

Even thought it was the incorporation of Apple and not the foundation that happened in 1977 (which IMHO it's still valid), it's an awesome design specially with the Star Destroyer detail!

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
DianaSprinkle wrote:
Um I'm just going to wave my hands and wait and see what woot does. I'm more worried that the Apple part may not pass.


This would be my concern. They've already rejected one entry with the Apple logo.

Cool shirt regardless.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
j5 wrote:Little known fact. DianaSprinkle was actually born on the 76/77 cusp.
True story.


Well, I was a May baby. So it's likely I was conceived in 1976... =D

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
DianaSprinkle wrote:Well, I was a May baby. So it's likely I was conceived in 1976... =D

Since when has honesty been an acceptable defense?

move along

Dolemite


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite
I can see all the little Woot gremlins furiously researching if they can get away with this.

citizencoyote wrote:This would be my concern. They've already rejected one entry with the Apple logo.

Cool shirt regardless.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


I'd be surprised if this lasts. Apple rigorously and ruthlessly defends it's branding to absurd and inane levels. It will be interesting to see how brave they want to be.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
mrwednesday wrote:I'd be surprised if this lasts. Apple rigorously and ruthlessly defends it's branding to absurd and inane levels. It will be interesting to see how brave they want to be.


Hmm, well woot has had shirts go through a derby and a double take without rejecting them that we're parodies of the apple logo before like this Spiritgreen one. Also that Coexist shirt had a long run on woot.

But yeah I wouldn't really be shocked if this got the axe either.

zoobawa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoobawa
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


I cannot stand shirts with dots, like the stars are in this, on them.

It looks so bad having the dots there and then having the dots just end.

The applestar I don't have a problem with, good job on that, but because of the stars this will be a no for me.

Oh also a no for me because Apple.

ruthjhodsoll


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll
Dude, you people are hard CORE... ;-P


Re: 1977 - Dark Side

jlsinger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlsinger
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


It's too bad this got rejected. I thought it was really good. I love the star destroyer as the stem

chriscarley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chriscarley
Re: 1977 - Dark Side


No, I'm glad this was rejected, considering everything is wrong about it (date & wrong death star) as already discussed in the previous comments.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail