Derby #263: England

Rule 42

Rejected because: We can't print this

add a comment

Comments

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Rule 42


I predict a red slash and the statement "We can't run this" in the future of this design.

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:I predict a red slash and the statement "We can't run this" in the future of this design.


Why do you say that? What should I change?

lyonscc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
Wizrd23 wrote:Why do you say that? What should I change?


There are several grounds they may reject it on - it looks like there are gradients in the comic figure, but you've not shown any halftones to indicate this. Also, the comic figure, itself, is taken directly from the cover of the American versions of the Hitchhiker's Guide books, and is likely under copyright (especially, since you can't really argue the use of the figure, itself, is parody).

Woot has gotten much more strict in making sure that they don't violate any intellectual property rules, and I would guess grahamcrac is making his/her predication based upon this.

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
lyonscc wrote:There are several grounds they may reject it on - it looks like there are gradients in the comic figure, but you've not shown any halftones to indicate this. Also, the comic figure, itself, is taken directly from the cover of the American versions of the Hitchhiker's Guide books, and is likely under copyright (especially, since you can't really argue the use of the figure, itself, is parody).

Woot has gotten much more strict in making sure that they don't violate any intellectual property rules, and I would guess grahamcrac is making his/her predication based upon this.


Ok valid points. This is the first design I have every submitted, so I'm not 100% up to speed on finer details. I'll see if I can fix gradients and replace with half-tones.

As far as the character goes, its not taking directly from the cover art. Its a redrawn interpretation. Kinda hard to parody a ball with arms much more than that. I avoided the hitchhiker thumb because its definitely copywritten.

Oh well, we will see what happens.

lyonscc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
Wizrd23 wrote:Ok valid points. This is the first design I have every submitted, so I'm not 100% up to speed on finer details. I'll see if I can fix gradients and replace with half-tones.

As far as the character goes, its not taking directly from the cover art. Its a redrawn interpretation. Kinda hard to parody a ball with arms much more than that. I avoided the hitchhiker thumb because its definitely copywritten.

Oh well, we will see what happens.


Good luck! If you look at my submission history, I've learned all sorts of ways submissions can be rejected. It's frustrating as all get-out, but you eventually (kind of) get the hang of it.

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Wizrd23 wrote:As far as the character goes, its not taking directly from the cover art. Its a redrawn interpretation. Kinda hard to parody a ball with arms much more than that. I avoided the hitchhiker thumb because its definitely copywritten.

Oh well, we will see what happens.


Doesn't matter if it's redrawn, it's still the planet. Not saying this will definitely get rejected, but I think grahamcrackercoyote (no relation ) is right. But hey, stranger things have happened and woot's the final word.

For what it's worth, I think it's a funny shirt.

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
citizencoyote wrote:Doesn't matter if it's redrawn, it's still the planet. Not saying this will definitely get rejected, but I think grahamcrackercoyote (no relation ) is right. But hey, stranger things have happened and woot's the final word.

For what it's worth, I think it's a funny shirt.


It is a funny shirt, BUT with what is probably a copyrighted character. I'm not sure how you'd fix it - the green planet character is kinda hard to parody without having it look exactly like it As others have said above, stranger things have happened. We'll know Monday.

ste7enl


quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
Wizrd23 wrote:Ok valid points. This is the first design I have every submitted, so I'm not 100% up to speed on finer details. I'll see if I can fix gradients and replace with half-tones.

As far as the character goes, its not taking directly from the cover art. Its a redrawn interpretation. Kinda hard to parody a ball with arms much more than that. I avoided the hitchhiker thumb because its definitely copywritten.

Oh well, we will see what happens.


Redrawn interpretations require interpretation. Best of luck in your future submissions.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Rule 42


Yes, sorry to poke holes in your first design but there's also the problem that very similar shirts exist. (it's always important to google an idea before you draw it).

The first sub is always the hardest though. Welcome to the derby. :^)

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:It is a funny shirt, BUT with what is probably a copyrighted character. I'm not sure how you'd fix it - the green planet character is kinda hard to parody without having it look exactly like it As others have said above, stranger things have happened. We'll know Monday.


for what its worth, I'll just say I'm a huge H2G2 fan. I researched the artwork, and as best I can tell there is no existing copyright on the character. It was created as part of the box art for Infocom back in 1984. The company went defunct in 1989. Activision desolved the infocom brand in 2002. the rights to the hitchhiker's guide for a game were transferred back to Adams. After his passing, the estate allowed the BBC to make a java version of the game on their website for the 20th and subsequently 25th anniversarys.

Aside from that trail, there is no definitive copyright or copyright holder. At best, the box art is part of the game copyright with the estate of Adams.

My representation is different than the box art. If memory serves, there are only 2 official variations of this character, 1 covering his "eyes" on the front of the box, and 1 of him revealing no eyes on the back, but with different facial gesture and hand placement.

I just hope Woot agrees. Personally I think Mr. Adams would have found this satire 'properly appropriate in being inappropriate'. Just sayin! I'm just glad people like my first submission!

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
Wizrd23 wrote:for what its worth, I'll just say I'm a huge H2G2 fan. I researched the artwork, and as best I can tell there is no existing copyright on the character. It was created as part of the box art for Infocom back in 1984. The company went defunct in 1989. Activision desolved the infocom brand in 2002. the rights to the hitchhiker's guide for a game were transferred back to Adams. After his passing, the estate allowed the BBC to make a java version of the game on their website for the 20th and subsequently 25th anniversarys.

Aside from that trail, there is no definitive copyright or copyright holder. At best, the box art is part of the game copyright with the estate of Adams.

My representation is different than the box art. If memory serves, there are only 2 official variations of this character, 1 covering his "eyes" on the front of the box, and 1 of him revealing no eyes on the back, but with different facial gesture and hand placement.

I just hope Woot agrees. Personally I think Mr. Adams would have found this satire 'properly appropriate in being inappropriate'. Just sayin! I'm just glad people like my first submission!


And to Spiritgreen's point about googling the shirt first.. I probably should have. But after googling it I will say, (A) at least 1 other major online retailer has a riff on the topic, and (B) their shirt looks much more like another submission and not mine.

Either way, I have my fingers crossed. I don't expect this to make it past the weekend, but here's to hoping right?

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
Wizrd23 wrote:And to Spiritgreen's point about googling the shirt first.. I probably should have. But after googling it I will say, (A) at least 1 other major online retailer has a riff on the topic, and (B) their shirt looks much more like another submission and not mine.

Either way, I have my fingers crossed. I don't expect this to make it past the weekend, but here's to hoping right?


SpiritGreen - I guess that means I don't get your vote for 3rd place? lol.

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
Wizrd23 wrote:SpiritGreen - I guess that means I don't get your vote for 3rd place? lol.


I think I have figured out a way to fix this design, improve it, and keep it from having all the rejection prone issues... v2 hopefully ready tonight or early tomorrow AM! I hope people with re-vote for the update assuming I get rejected.

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
Wizrd23 wrote:I think I have figured out a way to fix this design, improve it, and keep it from having all the rejection prone issues... v2 hopefully ready tonight or early tomorrow AM! I hope people with re-vote for the update assuming I get rejected.


Rule 42 version 2 is up! If you liked the first one, thanks! I hope you will vote for the revised, copyright friendly v2!

rocketjohn


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rocketjohn
Re: Rule 42


Adams: "I HATE the little green blob and have spent years locked in arguments
with my publishers with me trying to get rid of the obscene little thing.
I've finally secured its demise with the new Ballantine editons of the
soft cover backlist."

Wizrd23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizrd23
rocketjohn wrote:Adams: "I HATE the little green blob and have spent years locked in arguments
with my publishers with me trying to get rid of the obscene little thing.
I've finally secured its demise with the new Ballantine editons of the
soft cover backlist."


Ahh! A bit of H2G2 trivia I never knew!. Well Mr. Adams might have hated it, but I love the Cosmic Cutie :-) Its part of my childhood.

Did a bit more research, and it is true that Adams had it dropped after its initial run! So the artwork is now sorta fan fiction and pop culture. The original illustrator, Peter Cross, created him for the US book printings. Searching Peter Cross, I found 1 interview and a bio. He doesn't even list it as an accomplishment.

I quite like the logo. Thanks for the info rocketjohn!

Jack31081


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081
Re: Rule 42


Apologies if I'm wrong but it looks to me like the figure on this shirt is a pull from the image on this wired.com article: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/05/dont-panic-its-towel-day/.

There are other versions of this character out there in the same pose, but it really looks like your "rendition" is identical to this particular image, down to the posing of the hands, the highlights on the tongue and the gradients on the palms.

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Jack31081 wrote:Apologies if I'm wrong but it looks to me like the figure on this shirt is a pull from the image on this wired.com article: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/05/dont-panic-its-towel-day/.

There are other versions of this character out there in the same pose, but it really looks like your "rendition" is identical to this particular image, down to the posing of the hands, the highlights on the tongue and the gradients on the palms.


True, this looks identical with a crown like this pasted to his head

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
lyonscc wrote:Good luck! If you look at my submission history, I've learned all sorts of ways submissions can be rejected. It's frustrating as all get-out, but you eventually (kind of) get the hang of it.

Yeah, it can be hard to figure out what all the unwritten rules are. There's a really good discussion of quite a few of them here, it's well worth your time to check it out - http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963

Keep submitting

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail