Derby #264: Your Third and Final Wish
+179

The wish

add a comment

Comments

walmazan


quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: The wish


Yay! It works!

3 colors on Navy

kellhong


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellhong
Re: The wish

Outdoor Mulch For Gardening, that's flippin' hilarious!

kellhong


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellhong
Re: The wish

Outdoor Mulch For Gardening, that's flippin' hilarious!

lloyd2002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
Re: The wish


Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the appeal in any of these style designs. I'd never buy a shirt like this.

thewronggrape


quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
lloyd2002 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the appeal in any of these style designs. I'd never buy a shirt like this.


Walmazan is one of the most printed artists here with lots of fans (myself included with several of his shirts).

So although it's probably not just you, methinks you're in the minority :-)

kellhong


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellhong
thewronggrape wrote:Walmazan is one of the most printed artists here with lots of fans (myself included with several of his shirts).

So although it's probably not just you, methinks you're in the minority :-)

Yep, agreed! <3 his designs. Own many.

lloyd2002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
thewronggrape wrote:Walmazan is one of the most printed artists here with lots of fans (myself included with several of his shirts).

So although it's probably not just you, methinks you're in the minority :-)

I understand that, but I also think you've identified the reason Woot changed the structure of the derby.

I realize a lot of this artist's designs have printed. However, when I go back and look at the sales figures (first day, and overall) for his prints, the meta of reflexively voting for favorite artists, rather than judging designs on the merits of whether or not they would sell well to a wider public is, frankly, bad for business.

I had never noticed this until I was showing the derby to my wife one week, and she asked "why the heck was that one (not mentioning which one) a winner?" I explained the meta to her, but then went to the shirt.what page and sorted by final placing ("I wouldn't buy any of these," was her comment - and she's a professional graphic artist), and then to the Reckoning page a couple weeks later to see the final figures.

So, while I understand the sentiment of "I love [insert artist's name]'s designs, and will vote for every one of them, regardless of whether they look like kindergarten scrawls", I also wonder why it took Woot so long to change their voting model.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
lloyd2002 wrote:I understand that, but I also think you've identified the reason Woot changed the structure of the derby.

I realize a lot of this artist's designs have printed. However, when I go back and look at the sales figures (first day, and overall) for his prints, the meta of reflexively voting for favorite artists, rather than judging designs on the merits of whether or not they would sell well to a wider public is, frankly, bad for business.

I had never noticed this until I was showing the derby to my wife one week, and she asked "why the heck was that one (not mentioning which one) a winner?" I explained the meta to her, but then went to the shirt.what page and sorted by final placing ("I wouldn't buy any of these," was her comment - and she's a professional graphic artist), and then to the Reckoning page a couple weeks later to see the final figures.

So, while I understand the sentiment of "I love [insert artist's name]'s designs, and will vote for every one of them, regardless of whether they look like kindergarten scrawls", I also wonder why it took Woot so long to change their voting model.

Considering the highest selling artist here, I think your argument is invalid.

move along

FretlessM


quality posts: 0 Private Messages FretlessM
Re: The wish


This is so great! I love it!

expo01


quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: The wish


lol , great wish Wences!!

MrsBones


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBones
Re: The wish


I have learned to identify Walmazan's designs from the thumbnails by how much they look like the Newbury Comics logo

(no disrespect meant, just an observation.)

If I'm to keep buying shirts, I need MXS! Please add my size!

arienb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arienb
Re: The wish


Reminds me a little of Calvin, it strikes me as the grin he'd have if he had a geine.

As a teacher - sad! ;) Dragons are cool though.

bifaerie79


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bifaerie79
Re: The wish


Looks like a Bart Simpson dream! HA!

gopherjen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gopherjen
Re: The wish


I think this design is fantastic, no matter who the artist is!

mopeloss


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mopeloss
lloyd2002 wrote:I understand that, but I also think you've identified the reason Woot changed the structure of the derby.

I realize a lot of this artist's designs have printed. However, when I go back and look at the sales figures (first day, and overall) for his prints, the meta of reflexively voting for favorite artists, rather than judging designs on the merits of whether or not they would sell well to a wider public is, frankly, bad for business.

I had never noticed this until I was showing the derby to my wife one week, and she asked "why the heck was that one (not mentioning which one) a winner?" I explained the meta to her, but then went to the shirt.what page and sorted by final placing ("I wouldn't buy any of these," was her comment - and she's a professional graphic artist), and then to the Reckoning page a couple weeks later to see the final figures.

So, while I understand the sentiment of "I love [insert artist's name]'s designs, and will vote for every one of them, regardless of whether they look like kindergarten scrawls", I also wonder why it took Woot so long to change their voting model.


I think the derby voting is supposed to be defined only by shirts you would buy, not by "shirts a wider public would buy". (Not saying that people actually buy the shirts they vote for.)

I think woot was right to change the derby model, but to be honest I disagree with 95% of woot editors picks (or dailies for that matter).

melfox86


quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86
Re: The wish


But... I like school

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail