Derby #275: I Recycle
+275

Green

add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Green


saved

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Re: Green

Okay, I have to ask, and this is as good a place as any: when artists put swirly things down one side of a shirt, why is it always the left side? What has the right side done to banish the swirly?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

fuacka


quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
neuropsychosocial wrote:Okay, I have to ask, and this is as good a place as any: when artists put swirly things down one side of a shirt, why is it always the left side? What has the right side done to banish the swirly?


Has to do with the side of the brain that controls swirly things...


neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
mrwednesday wrote:It is on the right side.

No, it's on the left side of the shirt. Right side from the perspective of the viewer, left side from the perspective of the shirt.

I asked Narfcake this a while back, and he said he couldn't recall a shirt with a design element solely on the right side of the shirt. As I flip through old shirts, I observe that off-center designs are much more likely to be placed solely on the left side of the shirt, or (I'm not quite sure how to explain this) have their major design element on the left side and curve towards the right. I've never studied graphic design, although I've spent quite a few years studying how the brain processes visual images (well, mostly what happens when that process is interrupted), and I was curious about how visual art conceptualizes sidedness (or side dominance). As anyone who has googled Ramy knows, he's done some vision research, and I thought that he might have an interesting perspective on the tendency of graphic design to prefer right-sidedness-from-the-perspective-of-the-viewer because of the confluence of his academic background and artistic work.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

wottwin


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin
neuropsychosocial wrote:Okay, I have to ask, and this is as good a place as any: when artists put swirly things down one side of a shirt, why is it always the left side? What has the right side done to banish the swirly?


I believe it has something to do with how the eye naturally reads from left to right (at least in this country). If the swirlies were on the other side your eye would stop once it hit the swirlies, rather than continuing down and going back to were it started. Keeps your eye traveling in a circular path and looking at the design.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
neuropsychosocial wrote:No, it's on the left side of the shirt. Right side from the perspective of the viewer, left side from the perspective of the shirt.

I asked Narfcake this a while back, and he said he couldn't recall a shirt with a design element solely on the right side of the shirt. As I flip through old shirts, I observe that off-center designs are much more likely to be placed solely on the left side of the shirt, or (I'm not quite sure how to explain this) have their major design element on the left side and curve towards the right. I've never studied graphic design, although I've spent quite a few years studying how the brain processes visual images (well, mostly what happens when that process is interrupted), and I was curious about how visual art conceptualizes sidedness (or side dominance). As anyone who has googled Ramy knows, he's done some vision research, and I thought that he might have an interesting perspective on the tendency of graphic design to prefer right-sidedness-from-the-perspective-of-the-viewer because of the confluence of his academic background and artistic work.


Midge's "eats, shoots, and leaves" is a right sided graphic.





neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
odysseyroc wrote:Midge's "eats, shoots, and leaves" is a right sided graphic.

Oooh, great memory, odysseyroc! Thanks for reminding of Midge's design; it's an awesome design, very powerful and compelling image on its own, with an excellent joke behind it. I'm embarrassed that I forgot about it. (In my defense, two days after the design printed, someone tried to kill me with a gun. There's a lot that I don't recall from May and June of last year, and I was pretty skittish around guns, even images of guns, for a long time. It's a great design and I'm glad to be reminded of it now that I can appreciate it without being short-circuited by unpleasant memories.)

I get a difference emotional feeling from Midge's design than I do from left-sided images, and I find it interesting that an image based off a word pun is placed off-center-right, which results in it being processed by visual cortexes that show an advantage to language-based visual processing. Very, very interesting...

Thank you again, Odyssey!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
wottwin wrote:I believe it has something to do with how the eye naturally reads from left to right (at least in this country). If the swirlies were on the other side your eye would stop once it hit the swirlies, rather than continuing down and going back to were it started. Keeps your eye traveling in a circular path and looking at the design.


But for the people looking at it the design is on the right.

wottwin


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin
blanked wrote:But for the people looking at it the design is on the right.


True, but most shirts are designed for the lookers, not the wearer. Otherwise all designs would print upside-down for the wearer to enjoy.

linksdeity


quality posts: 22 Private Messages linksdeity
Re: Green

Wow, big bright chunky colors, faux scientific graphics, and a bunch of pointless swirly thingies.
It's definitely a Ramyb.
It's definitely more of the same.
And I'll definitely pass...




KieraCu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KieraCu
neuropsychosocial wrote:No, it's on the left side of the shirt. Right side from the perspective of the viewer, left side from the perspective of the shirt.

I asked Narfcake this a while back, and he said he couldn't recall a shirt with a design element solely on the right side of the shirt. As I flip through old shirts, I observe that off-center designs are much more likely to be placed solely on the left side of the shirt, or (I'm not quite sure how to explain this) have their major design element on the left side and curve towards the right. I've never studied graphic design, although I've spent quite a few years studying how the brain processes visual images (well, mostly what happens when that process is interrupted), and I was curious about how visual art conceptualizes sidedness (or side dominance). As anyone who has googled Ramy knows, he's done some vision research, and I thought that he might have an interesting perspective on the tendency of graphic design to prefer right-sidedness-from-the-perspective-of-the-viewer because of the confluence of his academic background and artistic work.

Maybe in a predominantly right-handed society, ornamentation goes to the left to not interfere with important right hand activity? (tools & weapons & work) Even though it's a picture on a shirt & we don't all carry tools or weapons most of the time, the tradition or expectation persists, "it just looks right" on the left side.

FWIW, I'm left handed & this conversation made me realize how often I've admired those left side only designs but I never buy them

bigblued


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigblued
Re: Green


Maybe it's just me, maybe it says more about how I perceive things than I should publicly admit. But now that I've seen it, I am having a hard time un-seeing it.

The shading on the arrows, especially on the arrow, um, head, combined with the how the tail of the arrow is positioned off of the, um, base...would that pass the PG-13 test?

Or am I the only one who sees it?

Other than that, stunning design!

haidoni


quality posts: 0 Private Messages haidoni
bigblued wrote:Maybe it's just me, maybe it says more about how I perceive things than I should publicly admit. But now that I've seen it, I am having a hard time un-seeing it.

The shading on the arrows, especially on the arrow, um, head, combined with the how the tail of the arrow is positioned off of the, um, base...would that pass the PG-13 test?

Or am I the only one who sees it?

Other than that, stunning design!


Even after having you explain the visual association, i still don't "see" it when i look at this. No offense to anyone, but if you're anatomy is shaped like that, perhaps you should consider seeing a doctor... or something.

No. I don't think it looks phalic at all.

bigblued


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigblued
haidoni wrote:Even after having you explain the visual association, i still don't "see" it when i look at this. No offense to anyone, but if you're anatomy is shaped like that, perhaps you should consider seeing a doctor... or something.

No. I don't think it looks phalic at all.


Ok, probably just me then

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
First thing that I thought too! We're not alone!

bigblued wrote:Maybe it's just me, maybe it says more about how I perceive things than I should publicly admit. But now that I've seen it, I am having a hard time un-seeing it.

The shading on the arrows, especially on the arrow, um, head, combined with the how the tail of the arrow is positioned off of the, um, base...would that pass the PG-13 test?

Or am I the only one who sees it?

Other than that, stunning design!

that was fun while it lasted!

bigblued


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigblued
bpr2 wrote:First thing that I thought too! We're not alone!


Thank goodness I'm no the only one! Or maybe we are both just strange.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bigblued wrote:Thank goodness I'm no the only one! Or maybe we are both just strange.


I see it, too. And it's so bad. The shirt, the image, the whole bad thing is just bad.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bigblued


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigblued
kylemittskus wrote:I see it, too. And it's so bad. The shirt, the image, the whole bad thing is just bad.


I actually like the overall design, I find it very eye catching. And as a designer, I envy anyone who can make something look so freeform and organic. It's a shame about the arrows though.

amroyo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo
bigblued wrote:Thank goodness I'm no the only one! Or maybe we are both just strange.


No, it is the 2nd thing I thought while looking at the thumbnail. First this was "This is Ramyb".

I don't understand, other than the addition of the suggestive arrows, what about this is says "I recycle".

jvcline


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvcline
Re: Green


This is a very striking design.

I saw the phallii in less than a second.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail