Derby #282: Sleeeeeeeep
+289

Moonlight Sonata

Moonlight Sonata
add a comment

Comments

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Moonlight Sonata

I had started working on this one months ago, and submitted an early attempt that was way too dark and without enough pop and color. I feel much much better now that I've had time to finish it (tho it was a rush to get done before the midnight Hobbit showing)

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
lyonscc wrote:I had started working on this one months ago, and submitted an early attempt that was way too dark and without enough pop and color. I feel much much better now that I've had time to finish it (tho it was a rush to get done before the midnight Hobbit showing)


I was going to say this looks familiar. I agree it does look better.

dixielynn81


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dixielynn81

Cello there!

knobody


quality posts: 0 Private Messages knobody
Re: Moonlight Sonata


based on this image: http://media.techeblog.com/images/violin_illusion.jpg ?

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
knobody wrote:based on this image: http://media.techeblog.com/images/violin_illusion.jpg ?


There are several places in the US and in Iceland where I've seen this, or similar, illusions. I think the picture you linked to is in the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington.

This particular image I modeled from scratch in a 3D rendering program (DAZ Bryce, which I've used for about 12 years now (DAZ is the third company to own Bryce, I believe)), and then worked backward to transfer that into Adobe Illustrator.

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Moonlight Sonata


Here's a test-render I ran to use as a reference (to get the reflections and placement right)



I don't know if you were suggesting that I used the image you linked to, but I just wanted to show that I did not. As you can see, the shape and placement is all in my model, not a separate image. (Also - if your image is of the place I think it is, the foreground land is not an island, but a peninsula, that keeps getting higher as you move to the left.)

knobody


quality posts: 0 Private Messages knobody
lyonscc wrote:Here's a test-render I ran to use as a reference (to get the reflections and placement right)



I don't know if you were suggesting that I used the image you linked to, but I just wanted to show that I did not. As you can see, the shape and placement is all in my model, not a separate image. (Also - if your image is of the place I think it is, the foreground land is not an island, but a peninsula, that keeps getting higher as you move to the left.)


i was only wondering if you had used it as inspiration. it's pretty obvious that you didn't just copy it. interesting that it might be a real place. i had always assumed it was a photoshop.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.