Derby #286: Escher-esque
+194

Platonic Love

Platonic Love
add a comment

Comments

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Platonic Love


D'oh indeed. The name is a play on the Platonic Solids, if you didn't catch it.

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Platonic Love


nothing to see here...

flattopfrank


quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
orabbit wrote:nothing to see here...


I was hoping I would catch you before you did the resub. I wanted to suggest that you place some hieroglyphics on the dice instead of the text. Great job !!!

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
flattopfrank wrote:I was hoping I would catch you before you did the resub. I wanted to suggest that you place some hieroglyphics on the dice instead of the text. Great job !!!


I believe that's still considered text. Escher was known to draw unadorned dodecahedrons and such, so it still works for me, although the D&D angle is less obvious.

flattopfrank


quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
orabbit wrote:I believe that's still considered text. Escher was known to draw unadorned dodecahedrons and such, so it still works for me, although the D&D angle is less obvious.


I can dig it.

Merseine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Merseine
Re: Platonic Love


I'm really glad you got your resub in during the early part of the derby - it would have sucked to not have a chance because of a late submission due to the rejectionator on your prior entry. Well done! Love the colors too.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Platonic Love


Glad to see this resubbed! GMV



tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Re: Platonic Love


Still a winner in my opinion

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
orabbit wrote:I believe that's still considered text. Escher was known to draw unadorned dodecahedrons and such, so it still works for me, although the D&D angle is less obvious.

Would this work better as a Daily? I feel like it's an amazing representation of Escher's work - and really well-done - and will probably do very, very well in the Derby... but would it sell better in the long-run with a more obvious D&D angle? Of course, that would involve being picked as a Daily...

On the plus side, if it prints out of the Derby, the chances that reddit will vectorize it are lower than if it had the text.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
neuropsychosocial wrote:Would this work better as a Daily? I feel like it's an amazing representation of Escher's work - and really well-done - and will probably do very, very well in the Derby... but would it sell better in the long-run with a more obvious D&D angle? Of course, that would involve being picked as a Daily...

On the plus side, if it prints out of the Derby, the chances that reddit will vectorize it are lower than if it had the text.


That's a lot of ifs. I'll stay the course and see what happens. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Thanks for the support!

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Platonic Love


As a gamer for the past 30+ years, I absolutely love the design. Too bad you had to ditch the text, but I'd like one either way.

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
lyonscc wrote:As a gamer for the past 30+ years, I absolutely love the design. Too bad you had to ditch the text, but I'd like one either way.


Thanks, Mr. Lyons. I've made my peace with the loss of the numbers. I like polyhedra as much as I like D&D, so it's all the same to me.

bellavore


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellavore
Re: Platonic Love


This shirt blows my mind!

And I have to say that I think it's a simpler, cleaner look without the numbers. I think anyone familiar with dice-based games will still make the connection, but now anyone can appreciate (and buy!) it.

expo01


quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: Platonic Love


So nice!

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
bellavore wrote:This shirt blows my mind!

And I have to say that I think it's a simpler, cleaner look without the numbers. I think anyone familiar with dice-based games will still make the connection, but now anyone can appreciate (and buy!) it.


You know, looking back at the version with numbers, I have to agree. Serendipity, I suppose.

And thanks, Expo!

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Platonic Love


I have already begun laying down the groundwork on convincing my wife why I need ANOTHER shirt... This better print.


More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail