Derby #287: The '90s
+85

Operaria Patronum

Operaria Patronum
add a comment

Comments

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Operaria Patronum


Please note that "Patronum" is Latin for "Protector", and not a made up word from a fictional world.

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Operaria Patronum


Oh - and my 90's references:

1) Office Space (1999)
2) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (pub. 1999)

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
lyonscc wrote:Oh - and my 90's references:

1) Office Space (1999)
2) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (pub. 1999)


You keep choosing things from '99 that are very much iconic of the next decade, not the 90's.

Harry Potter and Spongebob are not 90's culture. That's like saying Nine Inch Nails is a famous 80's band because "Pretty Hate Machine" was released in 1989.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
bluetuba wrote:You keep choosing things from '99 that are very much iconic of the next decade, not the 90's.

Harry Potter and Spongebob are not 90's culture. That's like saying Nine Inch Nails is a famous 80's band because "Pretty Hate Machine" was released in 1989.


I worked nights during much of the 90's, so it all blurs together for me.

I *did* see Office Space at the theater, though. Twice. (And I was going for a riff on Office Space and the red Swingline stapler (though I made sure not to model a real brand of stapler, to avoid IP issues).

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
bluetuba wrote:That's like saying Nine Inch Nails is a famous 80's band because "Pretty Hate Machine" was released in 1989.


This.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
lyonscc wrote:I worked nights during much of the 90's, so it all blurs together for me.

I *did* see Office Space at the theater, though. Twice. (And I was going for a riff on Office Space and the red Swingline stapler (though I made sure not to model a real brand of stapler, to avoid IP issues).


You working nights and your blurry memory doesn't change the fact that this is not a 90s reference. Neither is your other design.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
kylemittskus wrote:You working nights and your blurry memory doesn't change the fact that this is not a 90s reference. Neither is your other design.


Sorry, but it seems like if it happened in the 90's it can be legitimately called "90's". Just because something was most popular in a particular decade doesn't mean that if it was popular in another decade it can't be from both.

Is U2 and 80's band, a 90's band, or a 00's band? I'd say all three. In the case of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (or Sorcerer's Stone in the US), it was at the top of the fiction best seller's list for much of 1999, so it was part of 90's culture, even if only at the tail end.

Fretting over whether something was more popular later seems like splitting some pretty fine hairs for a set of rules so wide open to interpretation.

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Re: Operaria Patronum


Great work lyoncc !! Actually followed the rules and your work is in the fog.... be proud ! GMV +1 !!

deadmansbell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deadmansbell
Re: Operaria Patronum


While I like the design, and I do get the reference just by looking at it, I feel like the stapler isn't iconic unless it's a red stapler

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail