Derby #292: Time Travel
+75

Time Travel Champ

Time Travel Champ
add a comment

Comments

motorwerks


quality posts: 1 Private Messages motorwerks
Re: Time Travel Champ



I like designs that on first glance look like real event shirts, but once you read them they are absolutely ridiculous.

PixelPants


quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Time Travel Champ


2082 was a great year, but not without it's controversies.

dmaz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: Time Travel Champ


I guess when some shirt designers reach a certain level, the rules don't apply to them anymore. Very disappointed Boots. I'd expect this from others, but not from you. Put some design and effort into the shirt for crying out loud. If you take the text out of this there is nothing.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
dmaz wrote:I guess when some shirt designers reach a certain level, the rules don't apply to them anymore. Very disappointed Boots. I'd expect this from others, but not from you. Put some design and effort into the shirt for crying out loud. If you take the text out of this there is nothing.

dmaz! I would never not follow the rules! I'm a stickler for rules (in an almost unhealthy anal way).

The rule this time is just "no text only designs." The text can still be the main part of the design, there just has to be some graphical elements, too (it doesn't have to be complex imagery or anything, just some extra designy stuff). It's different from the "incidental text only" rule, which means if you remove the text you'd still have a solid design.

I think this rule is just in place to keep people from slapping a typeface on a shirt and calling it a day (based on past rejections, it seems pretty clear). There's a lot of "design" that can go into a design that's text-based. Sometimes putting them together is harder than it looks (OdysseyRoc always does a great job with graphic text).

I'm not saying that I've never phoned in a design, but I really did put a lot of effort into this one. It was hard to get the joke to "read" in the best possible way, hard to make the design look graphic even though it's just text, hard to make it look slightly futuristic without looking too cheesy, and stuff... Could this design have been better? I'm sure all of my work could be better, this one included, but not for lack of effort (this time). Oh! I didn't put much effort into this one. It was a nice day, and I really wanted to finish it so I could go to the park. I will admit it. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, though.

I do appreciate you bringing your rule-following hammer down, though! It irks me to no end when I see someone trying to skirt the rules, so carry on (my wayward son?)!


fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
BootsBoots wrote:

There's a lot of "design" that can go into a design that's text-based. Sometimes putting them together is harder than it looks (OdysseyRoc always does a great job with graphic text).


I just want to second this sentiment. It takes me longer to select and design for text than it does to illustrate. I put so much thought into the type used and the best layout for it. Readability and wearability is a huge factor when you design with text. Searching for just the right type sometimes takes much longer than you would think. It may look simplistic, but that's intentional. And I agree, OdysseyRoc is great at text! Boots is ok at it too. ;)







odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
BootsBoots wrote:dmaz! I would never not follow the rules! I'm a stickler for rules (in an almost unhealthy anal way).

The rule this time is just "no text only designs." The text can still be the main part of the design, there just has to be some graphical elements, too (it doesn't have to be complex imagery or anything, just some extra designy stuff). It's different from the "incidental text only" rule, which means if you remove the text you'd still have a solid design.

I think this rule is just in place to keep people from slapping a typeface on a shirt and calling it a day (based on past rejections, it seems pretty clear). There's a lot of "design" that can go into a design that's text-based. Sometimes putting them together is harder than it looks (OdysseyRoc always does a great job with graphic text).

I'm not saying that I've never phoned in a design, but I really did put a lot of effort into this one. It was hard to get the joke to "read" in the best possible way, hard to make the design look graphic even though it's just text, hard to make it look slightly futuristic without looking too cheesy, and stuff... Could this design have been better? I'm sure all of my work could be better, this one included, but not for lack of effort (this time). Oh! I didn't put much effort into this one. It was a nice day, and I really wanted to finish it so I could go to the park. I will admit it. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, though.

I do appreciate you bringing your rule-following hammer down, though! It irks me to no end when I see someone trying to skirt the rules, so carry on (my wayward son?)!


Great post, Jamie! there's a lot more that goes into GOOD graphic design than most people realize.

Also, great work on this design. +1 from me





cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
BootsBoots wrote:There's a lot of "design" that can go into a design that's text-based.


Third-ed.
I'm a sign designer by day, and signs are always text based. To make them interesting and readable is design-based. Slapping a font onto a shirt and calling it design is what the rule "no text only" is meant for.
Nice job boots.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail