Derby #22: Other Words of the Year
+52

Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle

Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle
add a comment

Comments

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle


Second one in a more abstract style for Conundrum

Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camels - Inheritance Riddle

The 17 camels mathematical conundrum can be found in hundreds of recreational mathematics books, such as those of E. Fourrey (1949) and G. Boucheny (1939). (courtesy of Wikipedia.) Some call it the 1000 year old mathematical conundrum. The conundrum: A dying father wants his 17 camels to be divided amongst his 3 sons. The eldest is to receive 1/2, the middle-son 1/3 and the youngest 1/9. How should this be done without splitting camels?

My design shows 17 collaged camel heads on an contemporary, abstract layout. The bars below the camel heads depict the proportion of camels to be divided among the 3 sons. The longest bar is for the eldest son who is required to get 1/2 of the camels. The middle son is represented by the second-longest bar. This son is required to receive 1/3 of the camels. And, lastly the youngest son is to receive 1/9 of the camels.

Thank you for your votes!

Jenyfer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jenyfer

Quickly mate two camels and there u go!

Nice design! Is there actually an answer to this?



DeMandaTension


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeMandaTension
Re: Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle


Are all of the camels fully grown adults?

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle


In case you are interested in reading the solution to the 17 camel conundrum, click here. Other versions exist, but this one works well!

Thanks again for your votes!

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Jenyfer wrote:Quickly mate two camels and there u go!

Nice design! Is there actually an answer to this?


Now there's an idea!! I posted a link to a possible solution. If you missed it, here is one solution to the conundrum.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
DeMandaTension wrote:Are all of the camels fully grown adults?


Yes. All the camels in the conundrum are fully grown and you must divide them according to the dying father's wishes.

classclown


quality posts: 0 Private Messages classclown
Re: Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle


just figure the common denominator.....18, and go from there.....but it is a nice design

wooterer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
Re: Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle


Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense without the accompanying text

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
wooterer wrote:Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense without the accompanying text


Sans text, it's a cool camel design. I voted for it for that reason. A shirt that explained the 17 camel conundrum in depth would be a stupid shirt. Which this isn't

jbedwar1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
AdderXYU wrote:Sans text, it's a cool camel design. I voted for it for that reason. A shirt that explained the 17 camel conundrum in depth would be a stupid shirt. Which this isn't


i agree.... it's kinda like the made up holiday shirts. Some of them would have been cool shirts if they didn't have the text. but because of the theme it was required almost. Glad they said no text this time. Would have sucked for all of these shirts to say their "word".

JohnQ118


quality posts: 2 Private Messages JohnQ118
wooterer wrote:Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense without the accompanying text

It doesn't need to make any sense. IT's A SHIRT.
And mating two camels would produce an extra camel. 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/9 doesn't EQUAL 1/1 ... it equals 17/18.

wOOt! 1st woot:20-AUG’05 |

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
classclown wrote:just figure the common denominator.....18, and go from there.....but it is a nice design

Thanks! Glad you like it. Now to find that 18th camel....

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
wooterer wrote:Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense without the accompanying text


I think that's the fun of the design. If you are familiar with the 17 camel conundrum and the proportions to each son, the picture describes it well. It's a common math riddle in many puzzle books and recreational math books. But, I agree...if you haven' heard of the puzzle, then you would need to explain the tshirt. But, that's part of the fun of wearing the design. You don't want everyone to understand.... you just want them to ponder a bit.

edit: Thanks Adder and JohnQ! (Good point on the mating of camels!)

wooterer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
klswoot wrote:I think that's the fun of the design. If you are familiar with the 17 camel conundrum and the proportions to each son, the picture describes it well. It's a common math riddle in many puzzle books and recreational math books. But, I agree...if you haven' heard of the puzzle, then you would need to explain the tshirt. But, that's part of the fun of wearing the design. You don't want everyone to understand.... you just want them to ponder a bit.

edit: Thanks Adder and JohnQ!


In this case I'm going to do "black square" t-shirt and submit it to all derbies, just need come up with some clever text why this black square is related to the theme of the derby...

jbedwar1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
wooterer wrote:In this case I'm going to do "black square" t-shirt and submit it to all derbies, just need come up with some clever text why this black square is related to the theme of the derby...


Feel free to try that.... But the trick is to get people to vote for it. And of course to avoid getting rejected.

wooterer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
jbedwar1 wrote:Feel free to try that.... But the trick is to get people to vote for it. And of course to avoid getting rejected.


Done!

THIS T-SHIRT IS ART (T-Shirt Hypocrite)

xhopefallx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xhopefallx
Re: Mathematical Conundrum 17 Camel Inheritance Riddle


Great design, terrible shirt color.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
xhopefallx wrote:Great design, terrible shirt color.


I was hesitant to use the cream color, but it was really the only woot color that gave me the sand/desert effect that I was going for with the camels. Since the camel conundrum is an *ancient* mathematical riddle, I wanted to choose the colors for the design and the shirt to give a rustic, aged look. Maybe woot's brown would have worked as well.

But, thanks for the comments on the design. Glad you like it!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.