Derby #29: Trompe L'Oeil

Home is Where the Heart Is.

7 colors: 2 reds, 2 blues, black, white, brown

Rejected because: 7 colors: 2 reds, 2 blues, black, white, brown

add a comment

Comments

supermari0ninja


quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermari0ninja
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


Love it except for the color of the shirt :/

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
supermari0ninja wrote:Love it except for the color of the shirt :/


The shirt colour should be perfect for it. I didn't think a dark colour would work as well, nor a colourful one, since I wanted to go for a window-frame feel. Creme sorta just won out.

If printed, this should really look its best on Creme, I'd think. Unless you just don't like creme, in which case I dunno what to tell you. I personally love it as a base.

Thank you for the compliment anyway!

jaleebcaru


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaleebcaru
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


Very clever and pretty classy.

Zorro22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zorro22

Beautiful! Could be on Threadless! Love the illustrative style.

We must not fear daylight just because it almost always illuminates a miserable world. - René Magritte

braverun


quality posts: 1 Private Messages braverun
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


So this is my favorite shirt up so far. I want to buy it, and then wear it.
I really like the execution and colors of this design. Thanks for making something amazing!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


Thanks, guys, for the early love... seriously, I am shocked and half feel you're jerking me around, but am grateful nonetheless. I feel good about this design, and I'm hoping it'll do well.

phreekonature


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


Interesting shirt. Missed it before

Is this more than 6 colors? Looks like 7?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
phreekonature wrote:Interesting shirt. Missed it before

Is this more than 6 colors? Looks like 7?


should be six... the shirt colour itself is the elusive 7th.

I wish I could have used a slate or a sand for the background, I think it would make the items I didn't fill in a lot bolder. Or just having a 7th colour would have been nice.

cookofthesea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cookofthesea
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


I think the color of the shirt is fine...actually, I think it is perfect. I am guessing you are the same person as "cold hearted?" both are great shirts.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10291

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
cookofthesea wrote:I think the color of the shirt is fine...actually, I think it is perfect. I am guessing you are the same person as "cold hearted?" both are great shirts.


Yknow, I thought I did Cold Hearted, too, when I saw it. Good shirt, but I just don't think it fits the theme so much.

I want to do a little work on this to get just a shred more depth out of it in the 60 day interim... spruce up the "moulding" on the window... and really, if it ever sees the light of day, I'm going to seriously look into a more woody shirt color, or an extra print color to give the rug, lamp, dog, buttons, etc, a bit more pop. Preferably an extra color... I love how the Creme works, personally.

Thanks for the love, tho!

tiaerman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


Supper Awesome shirt!!!

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Home is Where the Heart Is.


Two blues? Seriously?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
AdderXYU wrote:Two blues? Seriously?


Ahhh. I see. The second blue is the greyish of the wall. The first, of course, being the rug and the couch. Then there are two reds for the heart, black for outlining, brown for the floor, for the most part, and then, all the other stuff? CREME! Like, the color I put the shirt on.

Eh. Two rejections in 18 derbies isn't bad. I just wish whoever was on reject patrol was paying attention to what they were doing.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte
AdderXYU wrote:Two blues? Seriously?

Okay, I don't see it either.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte
AdderXYU wrote:Ahhh. I see. The second blue is the greyish of the wall. The first, of course, being the rug and the couch. Then there are two reds for the heart, black for outlining, brown for the floor, for the most part, and then, all the other stuff? CREME! Like, the color I put the shirt on.

Eh. Two rejections in 18 derbies isn't bad. I just wish whoever was on reject patrol was paying attention to what they were doing.

Okay, so remember Edgar's completely unfair "pink shirt" rejection? I now think I know why it ws rejected...maybe.

When I pulled it up on my boyfriend's laptop to show him he said it *does* look pink. And so it did on the laptop. Not sure if other shirts did, but it definitely looked pink. Maybe the computer at the time had bad color rendering. Not a good excuse but maybe why it happened. Keep in mind I'm not saying it should've been rejected. Au contraire.

Perhaps this is something similar. Maybe the rejectamatron is working from a different computer than usual for...certain suspected reasons.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bluchez


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bluchez
AdderXYU wrote:Two blues? Seriously?


chair and background. but isn't the white the creme of the shirt?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:Okay, so remember Edgar's completely unfair "pink shirt" rejection? I now think I know why it ws rejected...maybe.

When I pulled it up on my boyfriend's laptop to show him he said it *does* look pink. And so it did on the laptop. Not sure if other shirts did, but it definitely looked pink. Maybe the computer at the time had bad color rendering. Not a good excuse but maybe why it happened. Keep in mind I'm not saying it should've been rejected. Au contraire.

Perhaps this is something similar. Maybe the rejectamatron is working from a different computer than usual for...certain suspected reasons.


They shouldn't be rejecting anything for color issues anyway without looking at the print file, I'd think, unless it was blatant (an 8 color rainbow on a black shirt, lets say). If they wanted to reject for shirt color, that's one thing... faulty, but one thing. It's this "seven colors" business. There ISN'T a seventh colour. They have a file that proves as much.

It's just very frustrating to see this die its death for that reason when we have one shirt which is on an outdated template and will look clinically terrible printed, and another largely similar to two past derby entries, just lounging in the fog.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bluchez wrote:chair and background. but isn't the white the creme of the shirt?


'Tis entirely. I said as much in the thread. They have a file that says as much in their possession.

Though I'd sorta presume the wall to be more Grey than Blue.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte
AdderXYU wrote:They shouldn't be rejecting anything for color issues anyway without looking at the print file, I'd think, unless it was blatant (an 8 color rainbow on a black shirt, lets say). If they wanted to reject for shirt color, that's one thing... faulty, but one thing. It's this "seven colors" business. There ISN'T a seventh colour. They have a file that proves as much.

It's just very frustrating to see this die its death for that reason when we have one shirt which is on an outdated template and will look clinically terrible printed, and another largely similar to two past derby entries, just lounging in the fog.

Don't wubble me, but the clause is at the end of the derby theme. Nothing to be done for it. (But I do agree with you that it shouldn't have been rejected.)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:Don't wubble me, but the clause is at the end of the derby theme. Nothing to be done for it.


I know. But again, have that be the reason:

"Rejected because: Sorry, Adder, you're kinda a jazzhole lately"

I don't expect to be reinstated, and I certainly didn't have a chance of winning with it. I do have an issue with the inconsistency of rejections, this derby especially, as related to the reason mine got the axe. You want my shirt rejected, fine, but if there's an allegation into it, do some research into it first. You HAVE all the evidence you need to find out what colors I used.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte
AdderXYU wrote:"Rejected because: Sorry, Adder, you're kinda a jazzhole lately"

I LOL'd.

For real, it shouldn't have been rejected and can't be reinstated. However, there's nothing we can do now. -_-

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
AdderXYU wrote:Ahhh. I see. The second blue is the greyish of the wall. The first, of course, being the rug and the couch. Then there are two reds for the heart, black for outlining, brown for the floor, for the most part, and then, all the other stuff? CREME! Like, the color I put the shirt on.

Eh. Two rejections in 18 derbies isn't bad. I just wish whoever was on reject patrol was paying attention to what they were doing.

so the white in the rug is creme?

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte
brizz wrote:so the white in the rug is creme?

On my monitor is looks the same as the shirt. Maybe we should compare notes as a group. For me the reds are a bit pixelated for whatever reason. Looks like the cream color in the rug is white to you. Anyone else?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bluchez


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bluchez
brizz wrote:so the white in the rug is creme?


rug looks creme to me. dog looks white?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
brizz wrote:so the white in the rug is creme?


Rug. Dog. Lampshade. Couch buttons. Window frame. All creme.

Fun thing about the vector file is, if you run the object over the "canvas" it's on, the outline of the canvas will show through all these areas, thereby proving that they are blank.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
AdderXYU wrote:Rug. Dog. Lampshade. Couch buttons. Window frame. All creme.

Fun thing about the vector file is, if you run the object over the "canvas" it's on, the outline of the canvas will show through all these areas, thereby proving that they are blank.


the rug looked white on my screen. but frankly, they should have asked. if they had been on top of things they wouldn't need to be unnecessarily rejecting things tonight. i really don't understand what's happened this week at all.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte
brizz wrote:the rug looked white on my screen. but frankly, they should have asked. if they had been on top of things they wouldn't need to be unnecessarily rejecting things tonight. i really don't understand what's happened this week at all.

My guess is we'll be getting an answer in the next couple days. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:My guess is we'll be getting an answer in the next couple days. ^_~


you are so cryptic, it's like you're written in runes in a tomb.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte
AdderXYU wrote:you are so cryptic, it's like you're written in runes in a tomb.

Hey, don't make fun of me.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bfassburg


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bfassburg
brizz wrote:the rug looked white on my screen. but frankly, they should have asked. if they had been on top of things they wouldn't need to be unnecessarily rejecting things tonight. i really don't understand what's happened this week at all.


Not that anyone asked, and not that this is the most accurate way of doing things, but I couldn't save your shirt to my computer to look at the colors so I hit print screen and copied into photoshop. Your rug looks exactly the same color as the shirt according to my color picker. For some reason it picked up a bit of a pinkish hue too (depending on the pixel), but it was on both the rug and the shirt. Your shirt should not have been rejected.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.