Melkoret

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Melkoret
Re: Cthulhu BBQ

Why is this above certain other, more great designs? :\

Its way too simple for my tastes

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

DragonCMNDR wrote:No one in the real world is going to know the title of the shirt... unless you run around telling them and pointing at it.

So aren't the history lessons a little over-the-top? Yes, It's a Korean/Japanese/Chinese/Asian style dragon. Yes, it's Japanese Kanji on the apron. While we're at it, lets make that a German Bratwurst just for the sake of it... And he's referencing Mongolia, and he's selling to primarily Americans!!!111oneoneone
Now his shirt is somewhat multicultural. wow.

Thank you for trying to teach the world a lesson based on a witty shirt title and design, but really. I just want to wear the damn thing.

I think one could potentially argue that it's off-topic in a way because of the titling. But also, considering the designer put so much care into the design, I'd have appreciated at least a minor amount of accuracy. There are people who care about education. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

stanbone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanbone
Re: Some Assembly Required

This is a simple diagram for those that are unfamiliar with the great American backyard ritual.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

dankstick wrote:

I'm gonna guess the used of a traced LoLcat, but I don't know for sure. Also, to me the grill marks aren't particularly noticeable. But again, I'm guessing. :-/

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

catgrok wrote:This is FANTASTIC -- the best shirt here! I love the design and the concept -- it's so clever!!!

Commenting on your own design with an alternate account? Blah.

Needs to have a shirt in there somewhere so we know the placement.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
fleamarketadict wrote:A bit of trivia about the book:
It was written to win a bet that he couldn't write a book using 50 words or less and it be a success.

Really? That's pretty neat.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Melkoret wrote:Why is this above certain other, more great designs? :\

Its way too simple for my tastes

Feel free to name those other great designs, I won't judge your taste like you've judged mine faceless person of the interweb.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
freeshirtsyay wrote:Bee Bee Cue :-)

no no..... not BEE BEE CUE... BAR BEE CUE (note the word 'drunk'). I had been goofing around with with a piece like this, but it definitely was more cohesive. I stopped halfway because I remembered woot looks down on alcoholic themes as a general rule.

camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor

VVTF keep voting, this shirt is awesome.

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel
AdderXYU wrote:I don't think this comment could be more wrong if it tried. *snip*

It is a beaver surrounded by BBQ gadgetry and he is cooking a log, so I assume he is basting with BBQ sauce. I don't think people have confused the red sauce to be actual blood...its just that the bright red color triggers an a pretty common association with blood. The sauce is a dripping liquid substance, if it were black it might look like tar and if it were blue it might look like water. Brownish-red would probably be more traditional for BBQ sauce.

I voted for you because I really admire your work on this illustration...I love the retro cartoon style illustration. It is really quite spectacular!

spanishmel

Irrelevant wrote:it's kind of trippy. good luck with it

Its really quite cute! Nice work.

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
superspryte wrote:I'm gonna guess the used of a traced LoLcat, but I don't know for sure. Also, to me the grill marks aren't particularly noticeable. But again, I'm guessing. :-/

Thanks for the guess... I'm so saddened by this. I don't think it was using the lolcat for drawing reference, tracing or what have-you, it was noted as off-topic... yeah, idk. =[ On a brighter note my randoms came today and I got a Yay Brocolli shirt =]

spanishmel

I love this illustration and I love the song! This made me smile and I would definitely wear it. Of course it has my vote.

...one eyed, one horn, flyin purple eater...hmm hmmm hmmm

LILgeeSams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LILgeeSams

Oops. Sorry bro. I meant q4myJC. lol.

LILgeeSams wrote:Did I inspire, QformyJC? Cuz I drew some sample angry eyes for you.... I veiwed the original design being sketched! By the way...GMV! And knives job, ThreeMpress.

itsbeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsbeth
Re: Brutal Hot Dogs

I like the execution here much better than in 'Oh, Burned' (not to mention the addition of the hilarious sadistic hot dogs XD) but alas, it's way too similar.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: This one is done

I love the style and detail of the fire and the colors of the whole piece, but I wish there was more detail on the monsters.

Also, the placement isn't great for the ladies, if you know what I mean. My lady is always quick to remind me of that aspect on my own designs.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
striker138 wrote:I do draw the key parts, but don't have the ability to scan them in. So I usually end up using the brush/pencil tool to recreate what I had drawn. I have a tablet that gives a much more realistic hand drawn feel, but I don't use it much. Maybe I should.

You really should. I don't have a graphics tablet myself, so hand draw and hand ink, scan it in and then add color. Illustrator is tough to use (I can't use it very well) especially if you don't have anything to work off of. If you have a digital camera, you can draw it out with pencil the old fashioned way, take a picture of your drawing, and then "trace" it in illustrator.
It is really important to draw it out first, because if you don't your illustration will end up generic and computery.

That being said, keep working at it! Dude, Illustrator is tough, and competing on woot is tough. You're going against people from all around the world, and it is real easy to get discouraged. But if you like doing it, keep trying. It will definitely make you a better artist.

savagelizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages savagelizard
Re: Three Little Roasts [resub]

This one rocks! Why do people always vote for stupid Kazaam (1996) and shirts I would actually buy fall by the way side. Argh!

alfbo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
Re: OMGWTFLOLBBQ

Love it! GMV!

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

alfbo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
tgentry wrote:That's not the first time I've been told that.

Thanks for making me smile with that response!

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

Kat4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kat4
itsbeth wrote:I like the execution here much better than in 'Oh, Burned' (not to mention the addition of the hilarious sadistic hot dogs XD) but alas, it's way too similar.

Agree. Too bad. I did not buy "Oh, Burned" because it sold out (not willing to pay the $15 for it). I would have bought this design and paid the $15 if need be. Sorry Fable! Let me know if it prints elsewhere!

jaytori129

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaytori129

That's Awesome!

WOOTTACULAR!

wychlea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wychlea
Re: OMGWTFLOLBBQ

WANT.

xtinaftw

quality posts: 21 Private Messages xtinaftw
Re: War of the Worlds

Just a few more votes would bump me up into the top 50... *hint hint!* :D

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Brutal Hot Dogs

Oh hoho, "Oh Burned!" LAWLS. So clever! =D

No worries guys, I'll submit it elsewhere, like most of my better shirt work.

Let's DANCE!

Athaeryn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Athaeryn
Re: Extra Toasted

This is just a bit too busy for me. Maybe better with not so much background stuff going on?

p00n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p00n
alfbo wrote:Love it! GMV!

Wants now!! Think it would be more awesome if there was something omgwtflol worthy on the BBQ like a my little pony and a horny remover.

amscray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amscray
Re: brains... it's what's for dinner

i would love this if it wasn't on white!

Athaeryn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Athaeryn
Re: Dragon Flames

Very cool idea, and GMV.

One point to ponder though. The design looks like a dragon sitting on coals. Maybe if you were to define the bottom edge of the dragon less (no outline) in the right places, it would look more like the dragon IS the flame.

digihelix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digihelix

What is the gray stuff?

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: I wanna be where the people are...

This shirt deserves to have lots more votes!

Jae87

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Jae87
Re: Free Samples!

Don't think that counts as Incidental Text...

Clever shirt though

--Jae
Birthday Crap - 7/12/09, Random Crap - 1/28/10, Adventure Crap - 4/1/10, Birthday Crap - 7/12/10, Brick of Carbonite - 12/6/11, Santa's Sack of Crap - 12/25/11

haverstrawman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haverstrawman
haverstrawman wrote:

No...No...and No

Xenora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora
Re: Some BBQ

0_o Wait! Is the goose holding some of that pork roast salt they always sell on Woot!?

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

Jae87

Re: BBQing- Why they call us the great apes.

Looks like a creepy bigfoot, lol

--Jae
Birthday Crap - 7/12/09, Random Crap - 1/28/10, Adventure Crap - 4/1/10, Birthday Crap - 7/12/10, Brick of Carbonite - 12/6/11, Santa's Sack of Crap - 12/25/11

Jae87

Re: Pork Chagrin - Slow Burn

You did a really good job all around on this pic. Color, shading, expression. Very good job

--Jae

cabbit56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbit56
Re: Tomato's Nightmare

i like this~ makes me think of a grill overlord~ I think the angle (tomato looking up) is what make this special~

Jae87

digihelix wrote:What is the gray stuff?

I think it's smoke

--Jae

Jae87

Re: Let's All Go to the BBQ

That drumstick is scaring me quite a bit o.o;

--Jae

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp