bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Monster Candy

I am really digging the impressive line work on the trees! I love your work, Marzipan! I wish we could see more of it each week, and up closer to the top to boot. I love your style and you always have such original ideas. Good luck and +1 here!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
AdderXYU wrote:Really?

Teefury makes woot look like the Louvre. There is no site on the internet that defecates on other people's intellectual property rights like Teefury does. Woot sucks, but at least they will potentially pull a design if it's clearly a traced photo, or reject the occasional non-parody reference.

QFT. Olechka comes to mind...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Pineappleosaurus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pineappleosaurus

I absolutely LOVE this shirt! GMV

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Beautiful artwork! Does the child ever get returned to his friends? I must know!

mopete27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mopete27
melsterchaos wrote:How is this off topic? It's a Halloween costume!
How can one not notice that?

There are more shirts still available that are way more off-topic than this.

I'm guessing they didn't watch "legends of the hidden temple" when they were younger

vodkafrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vodkafrog
Re: Now you see me! Now you don't!

Thanks for the comments and critiques everyone! It's very helpful, as I'm still new to this.

@Blanked- Thank you! I worked very hard on this. Tbt, even if i had wanted to, I have no idea how to use gradients or halftones --; I hope you're not too dissapointed. :P

@Paigeg- Acutally, it should work just fine.
I printed it out just in case and it seems to work for me :3 Thank You!

@tgentry- Your probably right. I actually tried to draw a regular ghosts, but they either ended up looking like a pacman ghost, or a ghost from mario.
Artistic p.o.v. has always been a constant battle for me. I started doing derbies with the intention of learning how to be more conscientious of the viewers preception. I will definately work harder in the future! Thank You!

@Sasham62- I'm sorry I gave you a headache!
I can totally see an angry seapup, now that you mention it. I will definately work harder in the future! Thank You for taking the time to comment even though it was hard to look at, I really appreciat it.

@ccazabon- I beginning to think that if i had used lines that were all the same width, it would have been easier to see. But it could also be because of the differences in our screens. Thank You for your imput.

@ paigeg x2- Lol, your right, it was indeed my buttafuocoed attempt at trying to make it look like a ghost was flying off the shirt ^_^; I'll definately work harder! Thanks again!

@sTyLeS- It worked when i printed it, though it might turn out a little differently concerning since it would print white-on-navy insted of navy-on-white like my printer. In theory, it should actually be easier to see on the shirt than on paper because bleed would be opposite and the colors opaque. The only thing that worries me is the not knowing the true colors of the ink. Since I don't own a physical pantone swatch set I can only hope that the color calibrations on my monitor and and printer are close to what i seek to achieve. Thank You for your intrest!

Tl;dr -Thanks to everyone for looking and for the feedback!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Hunter's Moon

These are seriously great colors.

The cool, dark blue-gray of the tree in particular is a clever counterpoint to the hot colors of the hunter's moon.

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Re: Candycorn Monster

Adorable, Truffle! You do cute quite well I usually think your monsters are cute, but this little fluff face is exceptionally adorable. Nicely done, and it looks great on the orange! Good luck!

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
mopete27 wrote:I'm guessing they didn't watch "legends of the hidden temple" when they were younger

Based on the timeframe mentioned on IMDB, I'm guessing that show was still years in the future when most of us were younger.

vodkafrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vodkafrog
rabbitjr wrote:I liked the just the dog on the broomstick. But I found it funnier when I saw the cat in the pumpkin. Then I "got it". Before, I just thought it was an unconventional witch. I didn't need explanation with your design and I like it as is. Sure, it could use a little more polishing, but so could most of the designs on here.

I'll try to make sure to refine my pieces a little more before I ink them in the future, both in concept and in drawing. Even though in retrospect, the execution could have been much better, I'm really happy you got the joke :D Thank you for commenting!

randovar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randovar
melsterchaos wrote:I don't know if it's the fact that it's anatomically a bit off, or that it looks like the nipple looks like it's oozing, but I just can't see many people wanting to wear it.
The highlighting also seems a wee bit off.

I do like how you exposed under the flesh, but I wish you made it more of the focal point.

I think this shirt is perfect for that everyday zombie... not just for halloween

salamimagic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages salamimagic

ya chump! its dic! hahahah nice shirt! i'm game

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Monster Squad Version 3

Blows me away that this isn't getting the votes it deserves. Sigh.

bassanimation

sTyLeS wrote:Bass, I must say that you're probably one of the more original artists here. Nobody can claim that you stole ideas or styles from anybody else...it's all from your own (obviously very weird) brain.
Good job on this.

LOL, if you only knew how weird my mind actually is... I have to tame it down here ^^;.

I have a lot of outside influences but I do try to make my art my own. Even if I'm thinking of something that I love (like anime or retro toons) I try to weasel my own flavor in somehow. We are all influenced by things we love, but the trick is to try and wrangle the parts you love into something that's your own. It's tough as all get out sometimes, and it often works against me ^^;

Thanks again for the support guys! Even though this won't make it here, I had sooo much fun with it. It was totally worth making :D.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

Oh my. The olive green is perfect for this. Love your line work, it's amazing, Marz. Thanks so much for posting such a big close up too. Damn, this makes me want to see it in a children's storybook. GMV.

P.S. This also makes me a little sad we still haven't had the chance to collaborate

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Zombolantern

sweet design! the colors are wild and trippy!
+5

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
sTyLeS wrote:Of course there's controversy...it's shirt.woot!
That's how you know you're loved.

*snort*
THIS. ;)

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Canned or Fresh

Oh! After reading the description, I get it now! At first I thought that the real jackolantern was angry and evil and was going to be turned into canned pumpkin with horns... The eyes on the can are lined up with the label just enough to look like horns and it confused me.

The colors on this are real pleasant, very fall/halloween-like. Nice halftones in the eyes & mouth, too!

be10der2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
mjc613 wrote:George? Not Theodore? Or Muggles?

Definitely not a quality post if you have no idea what cartoon Bass was parodying!
Bugs Bunny and the Abominable Snowman.
"I'm gonna hug you and love you and squeeze you and call you George" which in itself is a parody of the Novel "Of Mice and Men".
I love this little wild thing from where ever he is
Maybe that film would have done better in the theaters if they had artists like you on staff?
I'm just saying....I LIKE IT!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
salamimagic wrote:ya chump! its dic! hahahah nice shirt! i'm game

Haha! Dic, your username is too funny. Good one! I can't help but feel like I have inspired that name.

You down? You going to start partaking in these fun contests? If so, give me a call if you need any help, or maybe just come over this Thursday for the next derby's theme... I don't recommend trying to do one this week since it will most likely be too late, and it will probably be a waste of time.

Sadly, I won't be a cards tonight, so give me a call.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

Incredible! The is no way one could go unnoticed wearing this. Great line work and very powerful colors. Colors do seem a bit awkward, but it works too well!

bassanimation

be10der2me wrote:
Bugs Bunny and the Abominable Snowman.
"I'm gonna hug you and love you and squeeze you and call you George" which in itself is a parody of the Novel "Of Mice and Men".

YES! Ok good good, there is someone who knows what I was barbling about :D. I love those old toons.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

really great design, love the colors. +1 =)

astanine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astanine

This is art made from a base (basically a digital paper doll). Basically, she took it into MS Paint and colored over it.

NSFW-ish: Base used

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: A Pumpkin Thriller

I'm concerned about the glowing in the background - is it a gradient?

kingwoot2008

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingwoot2008
Re: Monster Squad Version 3

Favorite shirt in the derby.
Well done!

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

tjost wrote:It's cool man I don't think your carrying a grudge or anything. Here's the question I asked Joel after Spiritgreen had subbed his atom bomb cereal with a lot of text.

Hi Joel,

Question - Can I resub my count shirt from last year if I revise it a bit but keep the numbers since they are actual characters and not text that is saying something? Others in this derby are using far more text. Please let me know. Thanks

-------
His response-

..."the short answer is 'yes' you can submit to the derby without fear of rejection."

-------

There was other stuff said but it's not pertanent to the issue at hand. Again if they decide to nix it that's fine. But I asked specifically, I didn't weasel anything or try to imply that I asked him one thing, got a response and then tried to twist that response into looking like an approval for something else.

Okay, let me weigh in on the incidental text rule everyone's up in arms over. The rule, along with our usual "no text" rule, is implemented to challenge designers to rely on illustration than simple puns, wordplay, or jokes that requires a literal punch line to decipher.

That said, we allow incidental text for some Derbies because it can be useful or even necessary. I won't deny the use of text here, but I don't think it uses text as a crutch to avoid having to illustrate. If it had a caption saying something like "A Parody of Seasame Street's: The Count" or something similar, I'd agree the text is superfluous; in this case the joke is visual and not with footnotes, captions, or punchlines.

I know that's subjective, but that's how these things go. Until we have a robot that will coldly and emotionlessly calculate the legitimacy of shirt designs, it will still be real people doing their best to interpret the rules. I think our decision to present those finding to you all rather than simply stamping rejected on the entry is helpful. Do you think it would be better with no insight given?

The short answer is we give a set of rules each and every week for artists to follow. Dancing along the edge of those rules invites rejection for reasons you may not understand or even like. My recommendation; don't spend a lot of time and energy on a design that skirts the rules if you can't stand to see it get rejected. If you can stand it, the pay off may be huge.

Lastly, it's a shame my correspondence with Tjost might be viewed as nepotistic. I try to respond to any artist asking direct questions since that's part of what I like about my job, but I can understand why, in the Derbies, it might be interpreted as such. Moving forward, it's likely best to leave those responses in the hands of the week's Rejectorator.

bonerbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonerbob
Re: CADdy Corn II - 3D

If you're going to try to make it look 3D, at least make it the correct proportions.

I don't think I've ever seen a candy corn that looked that skinny.

bassanimation

Re: monster cut out

Man, this is so cool, I do not understand why it's not moving up faster. Sad face> :{

megsck

joelterrific wrote:I try to respond to any artist asking direct questions since that's part of what I like about my job, but I can understand why, in the Derbies, it might be interpreted as such. Moving forward, it's likely best to leave those responses in the hands of the week's Rejectorator.

Hi Joel, i have a quick kinda unrealated question. do you have an email at woot specifically for you that we can ask you these questions or do we just ask them through the write us link?

and thanks for taking the time to help us out! =)

w00zle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w00zle
Re: Exploding Pumpkin

I really like this.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
joelterrific wrote:Dancing along the edge of those rules invites rejection for reasons you may not understand or even like. My recommendation; don't spend a lot of time and energy on a design that skirts the rules if you can't stand to see it get rejected. If you can stand it, the pay off may be huge.

While I personally appreciate that there was any time put into responding, and can understand your perspective (if not agree, given the wording... perhaps there can be a better way to state this in the future which better elucidates your purpose with the rule?) I have to take exception to this paragraph. I, and everyone who pays attention, knows damn well this doesn't happen. People skirt basic rules all the time. Rules like THE THEME. And when do they get rejected? Hardly ever. I can understand why occasionally it is a matter of opinion, but in those cases, like here, we should SEE your opinion, and not just "I don't think this breaks a rule."

But that doesn't change the fact that the average rule-skirting design, and indeed many full-on rulebreakers, will not run any rejection risk. It's good to have a human on hand for actual debatable issues, but when things are simply breaking rules, and nothing happens, that robot sounds incredibly nice.

megsck

bassanimation wrote:Man, this is so cool, I do not understand why it's not moving up faster. Sad face> :{

i know =( i think its because david (im gonna call him david cause i dont want to say stupididiot all the time haha) are definitely more kid friendly than most of the designs this week and for halloween i think more people are looking for the scary and freaky instead. which is a shame cause this is fantastic, he always does such great designs and i think they are always very unique and refreshing. he doesnt do a lot of self promotion either, i have to do it all for him =) so here i go, VOTE FOR THIS SHIRT! ;)

EDIT: and btw bass i have tons of friends who i've shown your monsterskettie (sp?) including my mom, and they all absolutely love it and want me to let them know the minute its for sale somewhere =) so let me know!

dreamwootseeker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dreamwootseeker

Thank you god!!! Yessssss you answered my prayers!!! I just CANNOT go on without another killer bunny tee! Phew, just in time too!

Ramy, you are the BEST. May you flood woot with killer bunnies in every other derby.

NOT. x-(

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Narwhal and Horse Trick-or-Treat

Sorry I didn't comment sooner. Great job as per usual

Mbenji

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mbenji
Re: The Tag Along

Way too similar to imposter... and not as good.

Take my money

beedubbleyu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beedubbleyu

Thanks, guys!

bassanimation

megsck wrote:i know =( i think its because david (im gonna call him david cause i dont want to say stupididiot all the time haha) are definitely more kid friendly than most of the designs this week and for halloween i think more people are looking for the scary and freaky instead. which is a shame cause this is fantastic, he always does such great designs and i think they are always very unique and refreshing. he doesnt do a lot of self promotion either, i have to do it all for him =) so here i go, VOTE FOR THIS SHIRT! ;)

EDIT: and btw bass i have tons of friends who i've shown your monsterskettie (sp?) including my mom, and they all absolutely love it and want me to let them know the minute its for sale somewhere =) so let me know!

Yeah, I think being more kid-friendly is what's derailing me lately too, haha. I don't mind it though, as I myself love stuff like that. I just think this design is genius, along with all of David's other work.

I think you, him, Omni and myself are inspired by a lot of great old animation work. Sadly it can be a hard sell to the general audience as a lot of people think of it as 'kiddy'. No harshness there, it's just kind of the general stance I hear from people who aren't as into animation as I am. Derp derp! -flips on Cartoon Network-

I don't know if I have anywhere for Monsterskettie to print as a shirt, but I will be making limited edition screen print posters of him soon :D Im so glad people remember him!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

I'm pretty 50/50 on the design itself, but the colors are stunning, and the overall package is far too good to succeed at woot. Hopefully we'll see more in this vein from you.

azumareiji

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azumareiji
Re: Hunter's Moon

Fantastic. It catches a definite mood in the picture, the colors are great together. I as well wish it was a little larger on the shirt, but otterific none the less