Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

If you're anything like us, you always wanted a gorilla for your birthday. Now that Shirt.Woot's turning 2, we're getting the next best thing: Ape Lad. As in Adam "Ape Lad" Koford, the illustrator/instigator behind the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats, 700 Hoboes, and Conan vs. Bear. For reasons known only to himself, he's agreed to curate a week of daily Shirt.Woot tees, from Monday, July 20 through Thursday, July 23.

For the first of these four shirts, Koford recruited a designer very close to his heart: himself. But the others aren't too shabby, either. There's Mark Frauenfelder, founder of Boingboing.net and editor-in-chief of MAKE Magazine. There's R. Stevens, creator of the hugely popular and influential webcomic Diesel Sweeties. And there's Mitch "Spacesick" Ansara, the Ohio designer/cartoonist/illustrator known for his imaginary book covers and his newly invented Nintendo-style video game.

What's more, Koford will also choose the Honorable Mentions for Derby #104: Tattoo. That Derby will be open for entries from Friday, July 17 to Wednesday, July 22; voting closes on Thursday, July 23. Start sketching now, apparel-design hopefuls. You gotta bring your A game if you wanna wow the Ape Lad.

Thanks, Adam, Mark, Mitch, and, uh, R.! And thanks to everybody who has helped keep the site going for two years now, whether by buying shirts, submitting designs, voting in the Derby, or complaining incessantly in the forums like an emotionally disturbed infant. And keep your eyes peeled for announcements of other 2nd anniversary revelry. (In other words, yes, there will be a party.)

UPDATE: If you missed a shirt on its first day, worry not: you can get it at the links below.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Sounds like it could be awesome. Looking forward to it.

(also thanks for listening to our incessant complaining....er reading....er......er?)

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady

Tattoo ey?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Peppers(' husband?) should enter. And Jamie Toon is a tattoo guy as well, right?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Great artists, can't wait to see what they come up with.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

While I think a "tattoo" derby will be incredibly hard to come up with anything good for (tattoo + shirt = lamer than a tee-tux), I do like the idea of guest curators.

My one issue, though, is that they should really be guest-curating the derby. Dailies aren't perfect, but the derby is what needs to be freshened up and changed and improved. THAT is what could benefit from this idea. Which is not to say Apelad will do a bad job curating, but is to say I'd be 100 times more interested to see a guest curator pick derby prints. Because for once, it wouldn't be predictable pablum.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I'm all for curators!!! and I can't wait to see what Spacesick comes up with (god that makes me so damn happy XD ). Adam's done an awesome job with his choices and 'local' work. It's a refreshing change from the normal stuff we see flowing through on dailies.

Adder, give them time. Maybe that's on the horizon? I personally hope that's the case and we end up with curators for the derbies. But I'll certainly take what we can get at the moment.

And tattoos... holy hell. PLEASE make sure people aren't stealing from tattoo sites all over the net!! I foresee a bunch of pilfered designs. I hope I'm dead wrong about that, though.

AdderXYU

JadenKale wrote:I'm all for curators!!! and I can't wait to see what Spacesick comes up with (god that makes me so damn happy XD ).

Adam's done an awesome job with his choices and 'local' work. It's a refreshing change from the normal stuff we see flowing through on dailies.

And tattoos... holy hell. PLEASE make sure people aren't stealing from tattoo sites all over the net!! I foresee a bunch of pilfered designs. I hope I'm dead wrong about that, though.

i can list about ten names without thinking twice where you'd best believe they'll be stealing. The hard part: thinking of ANY names who both WOULD enter such a bad theme, and WOULDN'T pilfer from a tattoo artist's portfolio

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

JadenKale wrote:

Yeah this theme has me nervous for many reasons, that being one. Another that people will put up any design and say it could be a tattoo and is therefore on topic. This one will be...interesting.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

I dunno how I feel about the tattoo theme. I feel like its no theme (anything you can draw can be tattooed on your body right?). Also, shirt fight just had THEIR theme as tattoo last week.

Really cool about the guest curator though!

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

It's actually kinda cool because I had great ideas for Shirtfight's tattoo contest that I never got around to.

Also Spacesick is awesome and I can't wait to see what he supplies Woot with.

JadenKale

truffleshuffle wrote:I dunno how I feel about the tattoo theme. I feel like its no theme (anything you can draw can be tattooed on your body right?). Also, shirt fight just had THEIR theme as tattoo last week.

Really cool about the guest curator though!

Yeah, that bugs me a little about the shirtfight theme being just last week and now we see it here. Especially since those will have no hold time on them. I bet we'll see many of those at woot this week. So, on the one hand, great to see new artists compete, on the other, I'm not interested in seeing designs that were originally made for full shirt prints or oversized prints to be shrunken down for woot's limitations.

And I definitely agree with Travis' and Truffle's concerns that anything will be drawn and noted that "well, you can be inked with anything, so it's all fair game".

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic

Can we also get a promise that no Axe samples will be included with the tees from this extra special week? That would be swell.

JadenKale

SpastasticNomadic wrote:Can we also get a promise that no Axe samples will be included with the tees from this extra special week? That would be swell.

good luck on that XP

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
JadenKale wrote:

And I definitely agree with Travis' and Truffle's concerns that anything will be drawn and noted that "well, you can be inked with anything, so it's all fair game".

I'm fully expecting a surplus of "gothic angel wings" tattoo designs, printed on the back of the shirt, no doubt.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

Tattoo huh? Can I do a little short dude in a white suit pointing at a plane?

JadenKale

binkdrop wrote:I'm fully expecting a surplus of "gothic angel wings" tattoo designs, printed on the back of the shirt, no doubt.

::snickers:: I want to do a tramp stamp just to be a prick.

striker138 wrote:Tattoo huh? Can I do a little short dude in a white suit pointing at a plane?

ROFLMAO

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
JadenKale wrote:::snickers:: I want to do a tramp stamp just to be a prick.

If text is allowed, you could do the word tramp in a stamp style. Just get straight to the meat and potatoes of the matter.

JadenKale

striker138 wrote:If text is allowed, you could do the word tramp in a stamp style. Just get straight to the meat and potatoes of the matter.

Just for the sake of this derby, to make it MARGINALLY better, NO TEXT.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
striker138 wrote:Tattoo huh? Can I do a little short dude in a white suit pointing at a plane?

"Boss shirt, Boss"

krstak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krstak

cool beans, problem is deciding on what idea......

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I fully agree with Jaden, Adder, and TGentry about the theme... as usual.

This derby is going to be miserable. Guest curator? I'm for it!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

These guys are all first class- can't wait to see their designs!

BTW, could someone at woot give us a preview as to yea or nay on the text for the tattoo derby?

xtinaftw

quality posts: 21 Private Messages xtinaftw

/closes her eyes and looks into the future...

Creme Shirts and White Shirts...
White on Black...
Butterflies and Panthers and Dolphins and Barbed Wire and Roses...

I can't wait! And I think I just got an idea that is none of the above.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

Wow, somehow I totally missed this yesterday.

Great idea about having a guest editor week, but about the Derby...I'm not quite grasping what's cool about the idea of a tattoo on a shirt. I also share the concerns already mentioned about the fact that anything can be a tattoo. It seems like they should define a particular tattoo style or something. I mean, sure when you think of tattoos you usually think of tribal art or skulls or something, but I knew a guy once who had Bert and Ernie needled into his leg.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

I'm just doing what I would want as a tattoo.

I'm about a quarter of the way down, and that's after working like 4 hours last night. :p

Update: What I've got so far...

raebee

quality posts: 21 Private Messages raebee
SpastasticNomadic wrote:Can we also get a promise that no Axe samples will be included with the tees from this extra special week? That would be swell.

Hopefully regular Woot! got rid of all those in their plot to annoy the world sale of 50,000 woot-off lights. Then again hopefully not cause I ordered one.

Where do you find a Roomba? At the Innba!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Oh, great. That's all the shirt world needs is more badly done Ed Hardy style rips.

Or some other dreck pulled from a tattoo site.

Yuck.

Hopefully there are at least some restrictions that are enforced.

On a side note, though, despite my animosity toward this derby theme I welcome the curator for next week and other associated artists! That's exciting.

kriscad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kriscad
Icemank91 wrote:I'm just doing what I would want as a tattoo.

I'm about a quarter of the way down, and that's after working like 4 hours last night. :p

Update: What I've got so far...

if i saw this tattoo on you, i would kill you with my pet unicorn

haha

amcatanzaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amcatanzaro

I was just thinking a derby of penguins would be a great idea.
I guess not.

I wasn't going to stay up. Drat! Foiled again!

Travel in style! Travel in a Woot shirt!

crashspeeder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crashspeeder

In response to the shirt.woot newsletter:
The cake is a lie...
or in the spirit of shirt.woot: The cake is a liar

woot-checker: http://woot.dswebhost.net - New item sound, picture, AJAX, mobile compatible
or check out the Text-only version - same features, no picture
or maybe you want a software app (DSWoot 1.0) to keep track of the woot-off.
List of woot!-off checkers

jpawmsu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jpawmsu

Hey Monday is my birthday

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles

Worst

Week

Of

Shirts

Ever.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91
JustJiggles wrote:Worst

Week

Of

Shirts

Ever.

Quality post.

AdderXYU

JustJiggles wrote:Worst

Week

Of

Shirts

Ever.

This is not REMOTELY that low quality.

AdderXYU

Or:

Or:

And that's just if you're being literal. There are plenty of other weeks of dailies only with two to three absolute clunkers, (Bacon Bits week, anyone? How quick we forget) and a good handful which contained at least one shirt I'd wear, but six absolute horrible picks.

This week isn't great, and today's shirt is loathsome, but this week is far from the worst.

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles

This all depends when the week officially starts I guess. If we are counting Monday thru Sunday, then this one is shaping up to be pretty high up there.