Quality Posts

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

collin1000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages collin1000

In for one as soon as I stop singing.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

That song is currently being remixed on my radio. Creeeeepy.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake

The wires of the wastebasket only adds to the can's melancholy, as if it's behind bars for something innocent.

112elmst

quality posts: 5 Private Messages 112elmst

I couldn't possibly wear this shirt, it's just too sad. Poor little guy

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

This design captures that sense of alienation and despair that results from being alone, having one's purpose thwarted through no action of one's own, and being unable to do anything about it. I love the emotion and story captured in a fairly simple narrative frame.

I've had a lot of moments over the past year when I've felt like that can. I identify with its despair. A design that can make a human identify with a soda can is touching upon something fundamental to the human experience, IMHO.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

miyoshinum5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages miyoshinum5

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sang the whole write-up out loud.

yawnmama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yawnmama

Yes I did

yawnmama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yawnmama
yawnmama wrote:Yes I did

Referencing the title, not the singing out loud thing.

CaviMike

quality posts: 6 Private Messages CaviMike

I don't understand why there aren't refund programs everywhere. I let the bottles and cans stack up because I know one of those days I'm gonna be strapped for cash and can't even buy a can of tuna - but wait - I have $10 worth of nickels stacked up in my kitchen!

Bloody genius these refund programs. Get the cans out of landfills and food into my tummy. Get in mah belly!

Personal info is personal.

qhiiyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qhiiyr

I feel like this would be much better in a lighter color.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff

If you look at him long enough, you see him go from a sad, rejected, tossed away little can to someone who is clearly measuring and planning what he needs to do to break out.

He will triumph. He will recycle.

lstaff

BTW, that song is brilliant.

And the shirt fantastic.

memorito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages memorito

Would have preferred a more generic looking can...

www.KillerCoke.org

Yeah... uh... sure.

T.N.S.L.P.P.T.S.O.

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr
miyoshinum5 wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only one who sang the whole write-up out loud.

You're not alone. But what really scared me was that I thought of the song when I saw the title from the woot.com page.

I saw what you did there, shirt.woot. Before you even saw me seeing you doing what you did. (what you did. what you did.)

Make it stop. Please?

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

I almost feel like the message is a little mixed. The can looks so sad, I feel like I need to set him free on a beach or field...

lstaff

xochiluvr wrote:You're not alone. But what really scared me was that I thought of the song when I saw the title from the woot.com page.

I saw what you did there, shirt.woot. Before you even saw me seeing you doing what you did. (what you did. what you did.)

Make it stop. Please?

Yeah, that title kicked it off for me, too.

I sorta want to buy this just so that i can wear it a lot, and then stop.

Then, when it's offered again, I can post that it's just a shirt that I used to wear.

lstaff

Outspoken Majorities for Government, i love how the times are displayed in the daylight savings time glitch!!!!

cpaden

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cpaden

I tried to order twice. Both times I was automatically refunded with no reason :/

chadwsmith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadwsmith
memorito wrote:Would have preferred a more generic looking can...

Without referencing the claims of your website... The can is red. That is the only Coke-like thing about it. Red is a primary color.

Had it been Blue - that would been Pepsi-like, Yellow would have been Mellow-Yellow like... Silver would have been Diet Coke, or Coors.... Green would have been Mtn Dew, or 7up or Sprite... Brown would have been A&W ....

What color, exactly, would have been to your liking?

Maybe you should think of it as being red for Dr. Pepper or Big Red or Bud Weiser or Cheerwine or Mr. Pibb...

Read my blog or, you know, don't. It's up to you.

MurphysLawsuit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MurphysLawsuit

I'd also point out that our protagonist is locked in a spiritual prison. The very aluminum of which she is made is now severed from the great cycle of reincannation. Goodbye friend! Purgarbtory is unjustified, but endure like a can! There will come a day when you again find your purpose, when your biped creators find treasure troves in the trash, when wrought by destiny you find your form traversing the suns

pinothyj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pinothyj

Australia (and New Zealand) represent!

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

i am surprised this design was picked over some of the other great designs... this one was so simple and well to me a bit boring.

kinda wish whoever picked the design to be printed would do a wright up about why they picked the design...not just on this design i mean every weekend

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Spiritgreen

But should we be recycling sentient cans? What if he comes back as a sentient car? Then you're 50/50 between it being Christine or Kitt.

rightturnclyde

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rightturnclyde

I see a little silhouetto of a can. Scaramouch, scaramouch, will you do the Fandango...

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca

ok..i can't believe i am the only one who has to ask this but... what song?

gobanana

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gobanana
wkmtca wrote:ok..i can't believe i am the only one who has to ask this but... what song?

It took me a bit to figure it out too, here it is.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
wkmtca wrote:ok..i can't believe i am the only one who has to ask this but... what song?

gobanana wrote:It took me a bit to figure it out too, here it is.

Alternatively, you could have clicked the word "Now" in the revised lyrics.
Woot is good about referencing the songs they parody.

move along

themdg

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themdg

Great design. Love the frownlyface on the sad can. Catchy singable writeup too, which will now be stuck in my head during my 5 hour drive today, thank you very much. Especially this blasted part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8UVNT4wvIGY#t=96s.

What the devil is he saying there?! If I were a lip reader, my head would asplode. Ack!

Wootlists are silly.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee

The official Gotye video is cool....but check out this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsoRSI7ei4E

May the Crap be with you all!!!

linksdeity

quality posts: 22 Private Messages linksdeity
L3g3ndQ wrote:i am surprised this design was picked over some of the other great designs... this one was so simple and well to me a bit boring.

kinda wish whoever picked the design to be printed would do a wright up about why they picked the design...not just on this design i mean every weekend

Seriously, the derby had a ton of completely awesome designs! And out of all of them, I would rate this as absolutely one of the worst, and yet here it is...

Shirt.Woot! needs more genuinely artistic and well composed shirts to hit print. Until then, enjoy wearing a massive, practically empty wire can on your chest.

ElanorRigby

quality posts: 14 Private Messages ElanorRigby

Love this! I especially love how the can is glowing in the sunlight - it adds some hope, maybe.

Also really dig the write-up. I still love that song, and it's various incarnations.

Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun...

TBKDan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TBKDan

It's bothering me that the shadows aren't cast in the same direction :-(

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

wow!! No sales in 9 hours!! ok who picked this design??

cpaden

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cpaden
L3g3ndQ wrote:wow!! No sales in 9 hours!! ok who picked this design??

I tried to buy it three times... ordered was cancelled and refunded all three times

qwikshot16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwikshot16
miyoshinum5 wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only one who sang the whole write-up out loud.

i did too -- then had to save both the 'song' and the pic of the poor, abandoned little can that looked just like a rejected puppy

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
cpaden wrote:I tried to order twice. Both times I was automatically refunded with no reason :/

cpaden wrote:I tried to buy it three times... ordered was cancelled and refunded all three times

I have a feeling that the switch out from DST screwed up the ordering servers. FIX IT, WOOT!

As for who picked this design - read the writeup; the sponsor of this derby was the guest editor.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cpaden wrote:I tried to buy it three times... ordered was cancelled and refunded all three times

Sorry for the late reply, I've pinged staff to see why there could be a order processing issue.
Thanks for you patience

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

DavidHart

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DavidHart
TBKDan wrote:It's bothering me that the shadows aren't cast in the same direction :-(

Not only that, but the bar shadows are not carried across the can. Granted, it's an artistic cartoon expression, so it doesn't have to be completely realistic. But as a an amateur photographer, the lighting flaws are apparent.