WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Time again for another march toward t-shirt doom! Discuss this week's life-or-death struggle for sales supremacy as chronicled on the Reckoning page all week long.

Here's how the Reckoning week runs now: every Tuesday at midnight, we retire the previous week's lowest-selling shirts and launch this here discussion thread. Tuesday around noon we'll post the all-new, all-early Reckoning Recon. On Friday, we'll juice demand and prime the pump with a little weekend reminder post. Finally, on the following Monday, the Day of Reckoning post sounds the last call for the Reckoned shirts. All of those posts will be linked below. Monday night (or Tuesday morning), it starts all over again. The Reckoning, she is a hungry beast...

Quality Posts

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake

Some HUGE changes with shirt.woot in the past day ... but first, congratulations to Shoot First, Indubiously, and Much you have to learn in making it into week #4! You're veterans now! Likewise, congrats to DoOomcat for Unstealthiest Ninja 3, which will cross the 10k sales mark in the next day or so.

Legend: (Baseline rank) Shirt Name - baseline sales numbers.
(1) Procrastination University - 7165
(2) Owlgebra - 2963
(3) Shoot First - 4457
(4) Consider Yourself Warned - 7500
(5) After the Party - 2323
(6) Indubiously - 2982
(7) Downtime - 2850
(8) Wishful Thinking - 7349
(9) Unstealthiest Ninja 3 4 - 9989
(10) Forty-Two U - 4037
(11) Headless Horseman - 2453
(12) The One Shirt - 4661
(13) The Cat in the Box - 6224
(14) The Formula For Success - 14475
(15) Nevermore - 51918
(16) Greetings from the Internet - 2252
(17) Brute Squad Science - 2044
(18) Know Your Moons - 5664
(19) The Binge - 62141
(20) Shy Pocket Monster - 1417
(21) Much you have to learn - 2697
(22) Falling Dreams - 1565
(23) Cluevetica - 1274
(24) Kraken Bathtime - 950
(25) It Rose From The Gravy - 948
(26) Battle of the GODS! - 649
(27) Pandora's Box - 470
(91) The Narwhal - 476

(no DSRs, BTW.)

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote

How much do the artists get of each digital print from the archive? Knowing this might change how a person buys from Woot - artist gets a better deal from $15 sales vs. artist gets a great deal from $18 sales?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:How much do the artists get of each digital print from the archive? Knowing this might change how a person buys from Woot - artist gets a better deal from $15 sales vs. artist gets a great deal from $18 sales?

The same as at $15. The price increase is due to higher production costs for DTG.

move along

Narfcake

j5 wrote:The same as at $15. The price increase is due to higher production costs for DTG.

Yep. IIRC, products $13 and higher is a $2 commission each, and $1 for items priced below that unless renegotiated.

AFAIK, the fastest DTG printer is the Anajet Sprint, which clocks in at 1:40 for the printing portion; add in the loading and unloading, and production capacity is about 30 shirts/hour. Compared to their screen press, in which the speed is dependent on how fast someone can load shirts on the platens ... meaning 600 shirts/hour after setup time is not out of line.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Newbie banners gone again... or are they all veterans now?

Narfcake wrote:Compared to their screen press, in which the speed is dependent on how fast someone can load shirts on the platens ...

Sure, but they can go a lot faster if they don't need to center and straighten the shirts.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

j5

Narfcake wrote:AFAIK, the fastest DTG printer is the Anajet Sprint, which clocks in at 1:40 for the printing portion; add in the loading and unloading, and production capacity is about 30 shirts/hour. Compared to their screen press, in which the speed is dependent on how fast someone can load shirts on the platens ... meaning 600 shirts/hour after setup time is not out of line.

Assuming they only have one DTG machine (and one screen press for that matter). At a max of 6000 shirts/day, they probably only need one...and a really long day for shirt-folk.

neuropsychosocial wrote:Sure, but they can go a lot faster if they don't need to center and straighten the shirts.

move along

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Time again for another march toward t-shirt doom! Discuss this week's life-or-death struggle for sales supremacy as chronicled on the Reckoning page all week long.

I think this needs to be revised. Perhaps something like...

"Time again for another march toward fattening the portfolio! Discuss this week's working-or-semi-retirement contest for sales supremacy as chronicled on the Top 20 page all week long."

Oh, and...

"The Top 20, after eating the Reckoning, is pretty much sated now and just lives for turn-over."

:P

dcroe05

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05

OK, I know I was a fringe number-nerd (at best) and really haven't been around all that much since all the changes, but...

Does it bother anyone else that the Top 20 is really the Top 27?

Every time I see that name it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Ginkasa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ginkasa

The loss of The Reckoning puts me in me in a weird position. There've been a few times in the past where there's been a shirt I was maybe interested in, but it was sticking around in The Reckoning, so I could wait. As you might expect, they'd eventually drop off the one week I wasn't paying attention and I'd lose my chance forever to buy.

So, the good news is that I can now buy those shirts and never have to worry about it again.

The bad news is now that they're not going to go away, there's not really any rush to get them purchased, is there?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Ginkasa wrote:The loss of The Reckoning puts me in me in a weird position. There've been a few times in the past where there's been a shirt I was maybe interested in, but it was sticking around in The Reckoning, so I could wait. As you might expect, they'd eventually drop off the one week I wasn't paying attention and I'd lose my chance forever to buy.

So, the good news is that I can now buy those shirts and never have to worry about it again.

The bad news is now that they're not going to go away, there's not really any rush to get them purchased, is there?

depends. How attached are you to screenprinting and saving three bucks?

scrabblefish

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scrabblefish

Is it me or is the "N O O B" missing? I liked knowing where the new designs fell without having to think about it.

Ginkasa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ginkasa
AdderXYU wrote:depends. How attached are you to screenprinting and saving three bucks?

I was referring more to shirts that were otherwise previously unavailable. Obviously I'm already stuck with the price increase in that instance.

I'm also, TBH, not really familiar with shirt printing processes, so I doubt I'd be able to tell between the two styles without a side by side comparison.

wootcrystal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootcrystal

so what happens if one of the previously retired shirts suddenly has -All The People- buying it? Does it get a chance to come back into the race here? I get the Plymoth Rocks getting a chance but the worst seller right now has sold 7 shirts and there have to be old shirts with the re-release that are doing better than that

Narfcake

neuropsychosocial wrote:Sure, but they can go a lot faster if they don't need to center and straighten the shirts.

Now now ...

Our discussion the other day about side seamed vs. not does raise a question about whether that makes it easier to load them on straight, as there's some point of reference.

j5 wrote:Assuming they only have one DTG machine (and one screen press for that matter). At a max of 6000 shirts/day, they probably only need one...and a really long day for shirt-folk.

In the video ...

... there are two presses.

I'm leaning towards that they either went with multiple DTG printers or (at least) one with multiple platens.

j5

Narfcake wrote:In the video ...

... there are two presses.

I'm leaning towards that they either went with multiple DTG printers or (at least) one with multiple platens.

I grant that there were 2 presses at the time that video was recorded.

move along

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Narfcake wrote:I'm leaning towards that they either went with multiple DTG printers or (at least) one with multiple platens.

One printer, two platens.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Narfcake

ThunderThighs wrote:One printer, two platens.

Judging by the demand, a second printer might be something for the bean counters to consider.

neuropsychosocial

Sooo... the Reckoning. Anyone glanced at the Reckoning lately? Oh hey, looks like Binge has not fallen further and the newbie labels are still missing.

dcroe05 wrote:OK, I know I was a fringe number-nerd (at best) and really haven't been around all that much since all the changes, but...

Does it bother anyone else that the Top 20 is really the Top 27?

Every time I see that name it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Every.Single.Time.

Actually, each time that I see "Top 20," I think of So You Think You Can Dance. I'm sure that woot's intention was to advertise for a reality show on Fox, right?

wootcrystal wrote:so what happens if one of the previously retired shirts suddenly has -All The People- buying it? Does it get a chance to come back into the race here? I get the Plymoth Rocks getting a chance but the worst seller right now has sold 7 shirts and there have to be old shirts with the re-release that are doing better than that

No, the "Top 20" has nothing to do with the overall twenty-highest-selling shirts; it's basically the old Reckoning under a new and confusing name.

ThunderThighs wrote:One printer, two platens.

What's a platen? *neuro exercises google-fu* Okay, does this basically mean that Woot's New Toy can print two DTG shirts at once?

Narfcake wrote:Judging by the demand, a second printer might be something for the bean counters to consider.

The bean counters probably fainted when they saw the pace of orders: give the smelling salts a chance to work.

emberdione

quality posts: 3 Private Messages emberdione

Okay, I have NO IDEA when they added the "all designs" that allows you to go back and buy everything...

But, I will say...

CURSE YOU WOOT!

*orders 8 shirts in one sitting*

Narfcake

neuropsychosocial wrote:Okay, does this basically mean that Woot's New Toy can print two DTG shirts at once?

In a way, yes. One starts first, prints the white underbase, then moves onto the next one while it prints the colors.

The bean counters probably fainted when they saw the pace of orders: give the smelling salts a chance to work.

If they did buy a Kornit, they're not celebrating yet. Back in 2007, the shirt press came with an approximate cost of two fully-loaded 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrids. A Kornit Avalanche ... maybe about ten 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrids?

j5

Narfcake wrote:If they did buy a Kornit, they're not celebrating yet. Back in 2007, the shirt press came with an approximate cost of two fully-loaded 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrids. A Kornit Avalanche ... maybe about ten 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrids?

As contrast, the disk storage alone for Woot online operations probably runs on the order of 30 of those Camrys.

move along

neuropsychosocial

Narfcake wrote:If they did buy a Kornit, they're not celebrating yet. Back in 2007, the shirt press came with an approximate cost of two fully-loaded 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrids. A Kornit Avalanche ... maybe about ten 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrids?
j5 wrote:As contrast, the disk storage alone for Woot online operations probably runs on the order of 30 of those Camrys.

In a given year, which product crashes more: EC2, 30 Camrys, or your average DTG unit?

j5

neuropsychosocial wrote:In a given year, which product crashes more: EC2, 30 Camrys, or your average DTG unit?

Given Toyota's recent troubles, I'd say the Camrys.

move along

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote

Narf - the wife and are going to do the annual t-shirt purge. Any interest

Narfcake

grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Narf - the wife and are going to do the annual t-shirt purge. Any interest

Always! It's not "Narf's home for wayward Woot shirts" for nothing, y'know. I'll even admit to adopting some Anvil shirts; they were half-price at Goodwill.

neuropsychosocial

grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Narf - the wife and are going to do the annual t-shirt purge. Any interest

Would it be possible to throw in an extra manual on t-shirt purging?

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Narfcake wrote:Our discussion the other day about side seamed vs. not does raise a question about whether that makes it easier to load them on straight, as there's some point of reference.

The way I do it is by the shoulder seams. You slide the shirt all the down down to the top edge of the platen, grab the corners of the shoulder seams, and pull it back to your mark, i.e. until the collar touches the edge of the platen or something. Side seams can fool you.

ETA - Those Kornits are amazing. Really high quality. I was talking to the Kornit guys at a show, and they said Cafe Press used to run their machines. CP decided it was cheaper to retrofit Epsons, run them into the ground, and toss them in the dumpster, than to buy and maintain Kornits. Thus DTG gets a rotten reputation industry-wide.

Narfcake

orabbit wrote:... CP decided it was cheaper to retrofit Epsons, run them into the ground, and toss them in the dumpster, than to buy and maintain Kornits. Thus DTG gets a rotten reputation industry-wide.

They switched to Belquette Mod1 DTG printers, which I will say has a much quicker ROI. The technology has gotten much better, but there's still room for improvement. None of the DTG printers are truly problem-free yet, and consumable costs are still much higher than traditional screen printing.

Narfcake

It still looks funny to see "top 20" up at the top ...

Legend: Current rank (Baseline rank) Shirt Name - (Additional sales) and total quantity as of this posting . Refer to the beginning of this reckoning for the baseline sales numbers.
1 (1) Procrastination University - (+215) to 7380
2 (2) Owlgebra - (+142) to 3105
3 (3) Shoot First - (+140) to 4597
4 (4) Consider Yourself Warned - (+123) to 7623
5 (5) After the Party - (+80) to 2403
13 (6) Indubiously - (+98) to 3080
7 (8) Wishful Thinking - (+125) to 7474
8 (9) Unstealthiest Ninja 3 4 - (+119) to 10108
9 (7) Downtime - (+80) to 2930
10 (12) The One Shirt - (+110) to 4771
11 (15) Nevermore - (+96) to 52014
12 (10) Forty-Two U - (+72) to 4109
13 (14) The Formula For Success - (+91) to 14566
14 (13) The Cat in the Box - (+88) to 6312
15 (17) Brute Squad Science - (+62) to 2106
16 (19) The Binge - (+91) to 62232
17 (22) Falling Dreams - (+63) to 1628
18 (16) Greetings from the Internet - (+57) to 2309
19 (11) Headless Horseman - (+59) to 2512
20 (18) Know Your Moons - (+66) to 5730
21 (20) Shy Pocket Monster - (+69) to 1486
22 (21) Much you have to learn - (+85) to 2782
23 (23) Cluevetica - (+57) to 1331
24 (24) Kraken Bathtime - (+36) to 986
25 (25) It Rose From The Gravy - (+38) to 986
26 (26) Battle of the GODS! - (+26) to 675
27 (27) Pandora's Box - (+28) to 498
91 (91) The Narwhal - (+44) to 520
92 (92) Turkevolution - (+71) to 1201
93 (93) Fly, You Fools - (+56) to 1018
94 (94) Adventure Clock - (+50) to 1173
95 (95) The Coffees - (+59) to 1827
96 (96) Why Bother - (+20) to 1133

neuropsychosocial

Congratulations to DoOomcat and my favorite little squishy, the Unstealthiest Ninja, on Unstealthiest Ninja 3 reaching 10,000 sales!

Unstealthiest Ninja has 15,209 sales, Unstealthiest Ninja II has 6,777 sales, and Unstealthiest Ninja 3 has 10,108, for a total of 32,094 UnNinjas bumbling around in the wild!

Narfcake

neuropsychosocial wrote:... for a total of 32,094 UnNinjas bumbling around in the wild!

... and counting, since they're all available for sale nowadays.

Though out of that, a dozen of those seem to be bumbling around in my closet ...

dooomcat

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dooomcat
neuropsychosocial wrote:Congratulations to DoOomcat and my favorite little squishy, the Unstealthiest Ninja, on Unstealthiest Ninja 3 reaching 10,000 sales!

Unstealthiest Ninja has 15,209 sales, Unstealthiest Ninja II has 6,777 sales, and Unstealthiest Ninja 3 has 10,108, for a total of 32,094 UnNinjas bumbling around in the wild!

Wow Neuro, that number kind of staggers me a little. Too bad Woot doesn't have some kind of sales tier artist bonus

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Narfcake wrote:They switched to Belquette Mod1 DTG printers, which I will say has a much quicker ROI. The technology has gotten much better, but there's still room for improvement. None of the DTG printers are truly problem-free yet, and consumable costs are still much higher than traditional screen printing.

Boy, you sure know an awful lot about DTG Narf. It appears that the Mod1 uses Epson print heads and guts? The Kornit guys made it sound like Cafe Press was doing the retrofitting themselves, not buying printers based on Epson innards. I guess that's marketing for you.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

I wonder if woot's shift to digital POD (that's print on demand for non-writers ) has anything to do with the lower sales numbers we've been observing here in the former reckoning throughout the year. DSRs were declining, the number of votes in the derbies was dropping (with winners getting less than 400 votes at times, and no one approaching the 1K+ votes of years past), and the enthusiasm of followers seemed to be on the decline.

Now, though, everyone is excited again and it sounds like the POD shirts are selling well. So was this something they had planned all along, or did they look at the sales numbers from the past nine months and decide shirt.woot needed a serious sales boost?

neuropsychosocial

Woot-offs starting on a Monday are unusual and both Narf and I will be out of the office this afternoon and unable to grab opening/closing numbers if there's a shirt sale (although I will grab noon numbers in a minute). I think these are some of the most helpful numbers for the artists because they're paid half-commission on woot-off sale shirts and these numbers are the only indication that they get of how many of their sales were woot-off sales. If anyone happens to see the sale open or close, it would be great if you could grab/post the numbers; the links directly to the discussion pages with the sale numbers are below. Thanks!

1. Stats for Procrastination University
2. Stats for Owlgebra
3. Stats for Shoot First
4. Stats for Consider Yourself Warned
5. Stats for After the Party
6. Stats for Indubiously
7. Stats for Wishful Thinking
8. Stats for Unstealthiest Ninja 3 4
9. Stats for Downtime
10. Stats for The One Shirt
11. Stats for Nevermore
12. Stats for Forty-Two U
13. Stats for The Formula For Success
14. Stats for The Cat in the Box
15. Stats for Brute Squad Science
16. Stats for The Binge
17. Stats for Falling Dreams
18. Stats for Greetings from the Internet
19. Stats for Headless Horseman
20. Stats for Know Your Moons
21. Stats for Shy Pocket Monster
22. Stats for Much you have to learn
23. Stats for Cluevetica
24. Stats for Kraken Bathtime
25. Stats for It Rose From The Gravy
26. Stats for Battle of the GODS!
27. Stats for Pandora's Box
91. Stats for The Narwhal
92. Stats for Turkevolution
93. Stats for Fly, You Fools
94. Stats for Adventure Clock
95. Stats for The Coffees
96. Stats for Why Bother
97. Stats for Civilized Addiction

Donna Battle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Donna Battle

Dammit, I missed (ok, forgot) the 1pm ET woot-off shirt sale!

Was there one, and did the $18 shirts go on sale as well (and if so, what was the price)? Inquiring minds wanna know.

j5

Donna Battle wrote:Dammit, I missed (ok, forgot) the 1pm ET woot-off shirt sale!

Was there one, and did the $18 shirts go on sale as well (and if so, what was the price)? Inquiring minds wanna know.

There was, and they didn't.
Just the top 20(7).

move along

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
j5 wrote:There was, and they didn't.
Just the top 20(7).

Are you sure there was, it doesn't show on the items list on woot proper for the woot-off. I ask too because the numbers don't seem to have moved much and if they did have one this was the weakest woot-off for shirts yet. Odd too since x-mas is so near now.