2%
3%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh

I was going to argue on behalf of Science, but then I looked at the examples on the shirt and saw Pluto.

I miss Pluto

taurine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages taurine

Reminds me of Thanks Obama.

And yeah, with Pluto, my brain freaks out every time I watch a Discovery Channel documentary about space that says "8" planets.

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

For the record, we still have two more years until 2015 when Back to the Future predicted we would have flying cars.

Science still has a chance to pull this one out and call victory.

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond

Still holding out hope for a robot butler (for better on the fly jetpack refueling), but a kevlar51 shirt version might do as a temporary morale boost. No flying cars though, that one hurts. George Jetson seems like such a stand up guy.

lichme

quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

Why can't Science disprove stuff that isn't cool, like The Kardashians Career?

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
taurine wrote:Reminds me of Thanks Obama.

And the fact is, every time science falls short of developing a new technology, it's because the funding to make it happen was taken away by government, either by the administration or Congress. There's money to send them all over the world on junkets, but science budgets are cut to the bone at every turn.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 92 Private Messages Thirdbase9

That shirt is in error in the state of Illinois. By an act of the Illinois Legislature, Pluto is still a planet.

I don't know.

hippie19

quality posts: 22 Private Messages hippie19

yeah, science so far. wait for future science.

wafflet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wafflet

i know this is using sarcasm but when i see the shirt i only think of the people who legitimately Touché away! about science 'ruining' things by advancing our knowledge.

Every thing on that shirt i'm very glad we disproved and there are very good reasons that they were

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin
Thirdbase9 wrote:That shirt is in error in the state of Illinois. By an act of the Illinois Legislature, Pluto is still a planet.

Still a planet here in New Mexico too, where Clyde Tombaugh was a Professor of Astronomy at NMSU.

smithpad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smithpad

I think Lightspeed and Teleportation are stretches. The jury's still out on those two...they might still be possible. Let's put man-made Global Warming in there instead. Consensus on correlation is not enough.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

Why do you have to be such a buzz kill, science?

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

thburbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thburbs

Can't believe they left off the hoverboard.

SilentLegend

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SilentLegend

Supposedly "teleportation" is still possible in the future. A molecular copy of you would be constructed at the destination, but it wouldn't really be you, as it wouldn't be the exact same molecules.

So when you are broken down to be "teleported" you would be pretty much getting murdered, allowing for a clone to assume your identity.

Thanks science.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
taurine wrote:Reminds me of Thanks Obama.

I just wasted a half hour browsing through that subreddit. Thanks, Obama.

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

Normally I'd rush to the defense of science because science is awesome, but yeah, Pluto. Stupid science. Bah! My universe still has 9 planets.

I think my science ruined Star Wars for my bro, I told him about ion beams and what they really are. I'm a sci-fi kill joy. ;P Killing sci-fi with science, yep. All in a day's work.

And there is certainly progress made towards teleportation and tractor beams (as long as you don't expect it to work like in the Star Trek movies)! And remember, just because we don't have robot butlers now doesn't mean we won't ever.

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

Science will ultimately lead to the singularity in human evolution..
We will sell our bodies to become digital beings.
The only question is who is, and how to control the matrix of human consciousness.
And to the person that wiped out my entire family with an EMP:
I'm gonna feed you cherries while your alive and send The Pac Man after you!
Your soul will forever be quarantened within the bowls of the yellow puck!
And yet, second chances in life will be as easy as "please enter 50C to continue."

tonytheeuroazn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tonytheeuroazn

Never give up on robot butlers. There is ALWAYS hope for robot butlers.

cobaltie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cobaltie

I rather expected something else at the bottom of this shirt.

"Thanks, Science."

"Thience."

Soapie0

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Soapie0

I love this shirt! I love Pluto! And I love all your comments! Hooray for the states keeping poor Pluto. My universe, too, will always have 9 planets. And I will totally own a robot butler someday.

Misty Walker

fireshadowed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fireshadowed
wafflet wrote:i know this is using sarcasm but when i see the shirt i only think of the people who legitimately Touché away! about science 'ruining' things by advancing our knowledge.

Every thing on that shirt i'm very glad we disproved and there are very good reasons that they were

I agree. I was also thinking about someone who once made the argument that "scientists" used to think the T-Rex was a big scary predator, but now "they" think it might have been a scavenger ... so why bother believing "them" about anything ever.

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

I don't know. Science is somewhat in a tunnelvision when it comes to nonstandard thinking unless the scientist is an evil genious. Just because something is disproved by conventional science doesn't mean it is impossible.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

Soapie0

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Soapie0

I have to bring up the embarrassing issue of shrinkage. I know, I'm sorry. So, do these shirts shrink? I'd like to stay curvy looking in a woman's shirt and not boxy looking. If the shirt shrinks a little, I'll order the larger size hoping boxy will shrink down to curvy.

Misty Walker

mlvanbie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlvanbie

This is a copy of the T-shirt/poster that goes with this Kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weiner/science-ruining-everything-since-1543-an-smbc-coll

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
thburbs wrote:Can't believe they left off the hoverboard.

What, you don't have one?

axemurderer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages axemurderer
smithpad wrote:I think Lightspeed and Teleportation are stretches. The jury's still out on those two...they might still be possible. Let's put man-made Global Warming in there instead. Consensus on correlation is not enough.

lolwut?

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
SilentLegend wrote:Supposedly "teleportation" is still possible in the future. A molecular copy of you would be constructed at the destination, but it wouldn't really be you, as it wouldn't be the exact same molecules.

So when you are broken down to be "teleported" you would be pretty much getting murdered, allowing for a clone to assume your identity.

Thanks science.

Every second you lose some molecules and gain others. Does that mean I can never be prosecuted for a crime? "Your honor, the accused man you see before you is a changed man. Only fifty percent of his molecules were present at the scene of the crime."

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

This is great! So clever, and perfectly executed. Well done.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
Soapie0 wrote:I have to bring up the embarrassing issue of shrinkage. I know, I'm sorry. So, do these shirts shrink? I'd like to stay curvy looking in a woman's shirt and not boxy looking. If the shirt shrinks a little, I'll order the larger size hoping boxy will shrink down to curvy.

I thought only men worried about shrinkage.

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

Thanks a lot all! I had a ton of really valuable input on this from a bunch of very smart people--so a big thanks to them too!!

And I'll have a robot butler if I have to invent it myself.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Great Scott! Haven't any of you seen the Animatrix? Robot butlers lead to human extinction!

davidwot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidwot

That's alright about the robot butler. I'd rather have a robot maid anyway (maybe in a short French maid's uniform) ;3)

stickfight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stickfight

Woah this shirt is too hasty - we're still working on robot butlers. For example, here's a $400,000 robot that can can make sandwiches and even fold towels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy5g33S0Gzo (just give it a while).

sirjonsnow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirjonsnow

Seems science also failed to teach people the difference between the solar system and the universe ;)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

The dearth of "offended party" vitriol surprises and concerns me.
This is a science shirt people!
Torches and pitchforks, what?

move along

surfphoto

quality posts: 5 Private Messages surfphoto

Ha, way to rip off SMBC.

granthamkk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages granthamkk

I live in a part of TX that his highly republican and conservative. Therefore they would probably not get the humor and think that I have turned and taken their side. I guess the next day I could wear my Darwin shirt while walking my dog, Darwin. (but I think science disproved some of his theories too -the actual Darwin, not my dog Darwin- ...thanks science!)

timetravelerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timetravelerd

It says time travel on it, must buy it so they don't send back future self for termination. Oh, I've said too much...

jjkenobi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jjkenobi

C'mon really though, how much do you think you can deduce from a really old fossil of a bone? It's all guessing on what they looked like and how they acted or what they ate. Some of it is an educated guess but until someone sees a T-Rex hunting in the wild (Jurassic Park style) we'll never know.