WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Software engineers, script kittens, code goblins, whatever you people call yourselves: now's your chance to wear your code on your sleeves. (Note: we will not be printing on actual sleeves.) Show us your best programming-themed shirt design this week. Just don't hide any rootkits or Trojans in there anywhere. We're trusting you not to destroy all of our shirts.

Use of text is OK, including text-only designs.

Glow-in-the-dark ink is permitted, under these rules:

• GITD ink counts as one of your six colors.
  • GITD ink should be represented with the approved Glow colors (hex code #fdfaea for day image, #d0fcd0 for night)
  • Glow in the dark ink MUST be placed over white ink, making white ink one of your required colors. GITD can cover all or some of the white ink. GITD should not be placed over any other color.
  • You must show both a "day" and "night" version of your design in your large comp image.
  • Your thumbnail image can show the day version, night version, or both, but should not be animated.
  • No halftones
  • We reserve the right to reject if we think the design will not give the desired effect or is otherwise unprintable.
  • Check out Tricky Treats, Ghosties, or A Lot of This Going Around for examples.

Cranberry shirts are back!

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets

Yay cranberry!

Does the no halftones only apply if you use GITD ink or for all entries?

Nothing follows.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Apparently the shirt folks were happy with the results of the glow in the dark derby... :P

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjschaeffer wrote:Apparently the shirt folks were happy with the results of the glow in the dark derby... :P

And OdRoc's time code shirt, I imagine.

move along

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Really? GITD permitted? It's been successful...yes...but...maybe wait for the now half glowing reckoning to be renewed a little bit? XDXDXD

Cool theme :D tough it's gonna be hard...I'm a complete ignorant on programming XD

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

taternuggets wrote:Yay cranberry!

Does the no halftones only apply if you use GITD ink or for all entries?

Yes, the halftone rule only applies if you're using GITD ink. Otherwise, it's a pretty wide open derby.

Also you can make a "code" shirt like Odysseyroc did, or something like Code of Arms, or whatever you can think of. Sky's the limit as long as we can see some sort of link to programming.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

wirdou wrote:Really? GITD permitted? It's been successful...yes...but...maybe wait for the now half glowing reckoning to be renewed a little bit? XDXDXD

Cool theme :D tough it's gonna be hard...I'm a complete ignorant on programming XD

I was a little wary about allowing GITD so soon after the glow derby, but we felt this derby theme actually lends itself to GITD. I wouldn't expect every derby to have it.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

Well... I'm stumped. I haven't done programing in 4 years. does hacking count?

I can think of a few designs for hacking. :/

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

Is the no-halftones for GITD ONLY for the GITD ink or all ink colors? Walmazan's pinata design in the last one had black halftones, and got an HM, so that was a little confusing.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

I guess we're "soft wear engineers"

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
We're trusting you not to destroy all of our shirts.

And how is that an issue?

I wholeheartedly expect at least a few Code Monkey designs out of this derby...

coconutman1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coconutman1

I've made it so far... Don't know if it make sense, or if it is just funny. 101010 is 42 in binary

[/URL]

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

What do you think?

pennyflip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennyflip
coconutman1 wrote:I've made it so far... Don't know if it make sense, or if it is just funny. 101010 is 42 in binary

[/URL]

It's clever, I think it would get lots of votes.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Hey guys,

I have this idea and I want to know

1. Is the reference clear?

2. If the code makes sense, or if it needs to me modified and how?

Thanks for your feedback

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
omarfeliciano wrote:Hey guys,

I have this idea and I want to know

1. Is the reference clear?

2. If the code makes sense, or if it needs to me modified and how?

Thanks for your feedback

I posted a similar idea to my fb page earlier. Mine was the Matrix as a MUD. great minds think alike.

omarfeliciano

odysseyroc wrote:I posted a similar idea to my fb page earlier. Mine was the Matrix as a MUD. great minds think alike.

O_o I did't see your post until now (just "liked" your page). I hope it's ok with you if I keep working on this idea.

I have zero experience in coding or programming, so I really don't know what I am doing. lol

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
omarfeliciano wrote:O_o I did't see your post until now (just "liked" your page). I hope it's ok with you if I keep working on this idea.

I have cero experience in coding or programming, so I really don't know what I am doing. lol

I don't have a problem with it. I stole the idea from Kevlar, anyway.

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart

Just finished my entry for tomorrow!

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Hmmm. This topic might be too intelligent for me.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
Radscoolian wrote:Hmmm. This topic might be too intelligent for me.

Nah, there's plenty of room for dumb. Y2K bug anyone?

omarfeliciano

odysseyroc wrote:I don't have a problem with it. I stole the idea from Kevlar, anyway.

lol, well... I don't feel so guilty now

omarfeliciano

A friend of a friend helped me write the code the way it "should" be written, so here is what I am planning to submit tomorrow. Hope you like it!

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
brockart wrote:Just finished my entry for tomorrow!

Can't use the power symbol. Old ruling out of derby #3.

amugle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amugle

Hey everyone,
I want you to tell me what you think about my design. This is only my 4th design.
Day:

Night:

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
amugle wrote:Hey everyone,
I want you to tell me what you think about my design. This is only my 4th design.
Day:

Night:

1) Some proofreading will be needed. to prideful = too prideful; despiration = desperation.
2) Personally I don't feel the hidden "blue screen of death" message works, nor the seemingly random GITD phrases from the full message.
3) I have to squint a bit to see the relation to programming. I get the satire, but it's for an error message of a major operating system, not for code which will likely ever be seen outside Redmond, WA.

thehookshot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thehookshot

It's a little lite on the code, but trying to have some fun with it. Thoughts?

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
brockart wrote:Just finished my entry for tomorrow!

I literally LOL'd.

brockart

Narfcake wrote:Can't use the power symbol. Old ruling out of derby #3.

That Stinks.... well back to the drawing board....

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
Narfcake wrote:Can't use the power symbol. Old ruling out of derby #3.

brockart wrote:That Stinks.... well back to the drawing board....

I'm not so sure that's still the case. I noticed it slip by in a derby not too long ago and a brief google search is telling me it can be used. Now, you may want to find a different source than wikipedia but you can find the symbol widely used these days. Even NYC prints it on free condoms.

More examples.

Woot might still outlaw it though... worth asking though.

Nothing follows.

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
taternuggets wrote:I'm not so sure that's still the case. I noticed it slip by in a derby not too long ago and a brief google search is telling me it can be used. Now, you may want to find a different source than wikipedia but you can find the symbol widely used these days. Even NYC prints it on free condoms.

More examples.

If they allow it, maybe they should print jr88ps69's Derby #3 derby winner, so he/she can have his/her moment of fame and post-first-day $2/shirt...

brockart

taternuggets wrote:I'm not so sure that's still the case. I noticed it slip by in a derby not too long ago and a brief google search is telling me it can be used. Now, you may want to find a different source than wikipedia but you can find the symbol widely used these days. Even NYC prints it on free condoms.

More examples.

Wikkimedia Commons list the symbol as public domain.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IEC5009_Standby_Symbol.svg

I've also found the symbol on various Zazzle and Spreadshirt designs.

So, I might be okay!

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
omarfeliciano wrote:some stuff

I get that you're trying to throw references in there, but declaring a variable just to return it is odd (i.e. this could be more properly "codey").

Edit: OH GOD AND UNBALANCED BRACKETS WHAT IS GOING ON THE INDENTATION AHHHHHH (see look I really am a programmer ._.)

midstarrynight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midstarrynight
omarfeliciano wrote:A friend of a friend helped me write the code the way it "should" be written, so here is what I am planning to submit tomorrow. Hope you like it!

I like it though I think it would be cleaner/nicer without the pills. I think they distract slightly.

haydenmuhl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haydenmuhl

I don't have time to put together an image at the moment, but I want to claim my idea. What do you guys think of this?

Ceci n'est pas une |

That last thing is the "pipe" character. I need to find out what it's called in French to see if the pun works or not.

Edit: Woo hoo!

According to the French Wikipedia, it's a 'vertical bar' in French. They do use 'pipe' as a borrowed word, but we know how the French can be about foreign words :-P

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barre_verticale

j5

haydenmuhl wrote:I don't have time to put together an image at the moment, but I want to claim my idea. What do you guys think of this?

Ceci n'est pas une |

That last thing is the "pipe" character. I need to find out what it's called in French to see if the pun works or not.

Edit: Woo hoo!

According to the French Wikipedia, it's a 'vertical bar' in French. They do use 'pipe' as a borrowed word, but we know how the French can be about foreign words :-P

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barre_verticale

It's called "bar" in the US, also. If you want to do this, you illustrate the "|", then the French "this is not a pipe" or maybe ">" with "This is not a pipe"

move along

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:It's called "bar" in the US, also. If you want to do this, you illustrate the "|", then the French "this is not a pipe" or maybe ">" with "This is not a pipe"

i think you should do it, just to crush his hopes and dreams.

j5

no1 wrote:i think you should do it, just to crush his hopes and dreams.

I would if my hopes and dreams hadn't already been crushed beforehand.

move along

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:I would if my hopes and dreams hadn't already been crushed beforehand.

MISERY LOVES COMPANY

j5

no1 wrote:i think you should do it, just to crush his hopes and dreams.

Econoline Crush.

Re: not a pipe

Where there any rejections this time around?

move along