WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Love it, hate it, or both at once, television will not be denied. TV has cast its long shadow over all of us for decades - now let it cast its shadow on a t-shirt.

• No text only shirts.
  • Shirts must be on Black, Brown, Navy, Baby Blue, or Silver this week.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Most popular derby topics this coming week:

1. Dr. Who
2. Star Trek
3. Big Bang Theory

Now it's time to go work on my Who/Trek/Big Bang Theory mashup...

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos
tjschaeffer wrote:Most popular derby topics this coming week:

1. Dr. Who
2. Star Trek
3. Big Bang Theory

maybe add animal hoarders to the list.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

No text only... About time this rule came back.

We're running out of colors... yikes.

Nothing follows.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

No text only shirts.
Shirts must be on Black, Brown, Navy, Baby Blue, or Silver this week

THANK YOU!
Words only is too easy.
though i wish silver and brown were banned. I get so upset when a shirt i love is on those colors because then i can't buy it.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
taternuggets wrote:No text only... About time this rule came back.

Doesn't change much really. Just means you have to draw a little decoration along with your slogan. I didn't always like the NO TEXT rule because sometimes a + or a $ would have really helped, but lately text is pretty prominent. Can't wait to see what AWESOME CONCEPTS will fill the fog.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
CrescentDebris wrote:Doesn't change much really. Just means you have to draw a little decoration along with your slogan. I didn't always like the NO TEXT rule because sometimes a + or a $ would have really helped, but lately text is pretty prominent. Can't wait to see what AWESOME CONCEPTS will fill the fog.

I liked the "incidental text only" rule we often had. That just allowed things that would naturally have some text on them and that the design isn't dependent on.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjschaeffer wrote:Most popular derby topics this coming week:

1. Dr. Who
2. Star Trek
3. Big Bang Theory

DocWho
GoT
BBT

move along

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

CrescentDebris wrote:...lately text is pretty prominent.

This. Of course I like a good design with text, but I feel like text is becoming more prominent than non-text designs. This is Lollypop Guild for me because I'm terrible at making witty one-liners. It's great for other artists for whom text is their forte, but it would be nice to have a no text derby once in awhile again.

j5

ochopika wrote:This. Of course I like a good design with text, but I feel like text is becoming more prominent than non-text designs.

The new Woot demographic digs pretty hard on some text centric designs. Run what sells.

move along

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

j5 wrote:The new Woot demographic digs pretty hard on some text centric designs. Run what sells.

Yea, true that. As long as they try to maintain a variety... which they always have I suppose.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
j5 wrote:The new Woot demographic digs pretty hard on some text centric designs. Run what sells.

I kinda liked it better when we used to have artists/designers around here, not copy writers...

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
ochopika wrote:Yea, true that. As long as they try to maintain a variety... which they always have I suppose.

I definitely feel that Woot has aimed to NOT be like some of the other shirt sites, which almost exclusively runs pop-culture based designs. Balance the higher sales of one for the other, and all is well ... usually.

I am pondering if the limitation of shirt colors is a sign of a change in the near future, inventory balancing, or just logistic issues again.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
taternuggets wrote:No text only... About time this rule came back.

We're running out of colors... yikes.

Why? Upset at yourself for your last submission?

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
ste7enl wrote:Why? Upset at yourself for your last submission?

lol... yeah, I'm totally upset with myself.

Nothing follows.

lokklyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn

I'm really excited to represent some of my favorite shows!

I refuse to draw a tardis. I guess it's a matter of principal at this point.

dre182

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dre182

ok people

dre182

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dre182
Narfcake wrote:I definitely feel that Woot has aimed to NOT be like some of the other shirt sites, which almost exclusively runs pop-culture based designs. Balance the higher sales of one for the other, and all is well ... usually.

I am pondering if the limitation of shirt colors is a sign of a change in the near future, inventory balancing, or just logistic issues again.

r u kidding me...this is the biggest pop culture reference site on the web....cats! Big Bang Theory! Mario! and on and on and on.. your comment was not very well thought out.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
dre182 wrote:r u kidding me...this is the biggest pop culture reference site on the web....cats! Big Bang Theory! Mario! and on and on and on.. your comment was not very well thought out.

Have you seen teefury? Literally every day it's pop culture. Woot used to be different, but now that margain is much thinner.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Actually trying not to be a lump this week, so this is what I'm working on for the derby.

Consummmmeeee...

Here's the final version in the derby. =D

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos
dre182 wrote:r u kidding me...this is the biggest pop culture reference site on the web....cats! Big Bang Theory! Mario! and on and on and on.. your comment was not very well thought out.

I would almost agree with you except the range of pop references on woot are pretty much limited to what you've listed leaving out pretty much most of current pop culture.

j5

1. Cats, in and of themselves, are not pop culture.
2. Your perception is skewed. Please provide a statistical analysis proving your assertion.
3. See #1.

move along

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Spiritgreen wrote:I liked the "incidental text only" rule we often had. That just allowed things that would naturally have some text on them and that the design isn't dependent on.

Agreed. There's many a derby where I feel for the designers who pour their effort into an amazing image only to see text heavy designs pick up all the votes. It's like they are submitting under a different set of rules.

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart

Here's what I've got cooking for this Derby:
It's called "Taking A Break"

I want to have an actual story on the books pages. Anybody got any ideas?

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
DianaSprinkle wrote:Actually trying not to be a lump this week, so this is what I'm working on for the derby.

Consummmmeeee...

Cool! makes me think of Rabbids.

oakenspirit

brockart wrote:Here's what I've got cooking for this Derby:

American Gods?

Cool idea. I like the look.

oakenspirit

Here's one I'm working on... QR code leads to random page on TVTROPES.ORG

Is that going to get insta rejected?

OR

Is this dumb?

dee4077

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dee4077

Game of Thrones or some other book that's been made into a tv series or tv movie. It would be ironical. Nice design, by the way.

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin

If I can request, can someone do one for Castle? Handcuffs, coffee mugs, cherries, apples (all nuances in the show)

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
oakenspirit wrote:Here's one I'm working on... QR code leads to random page on TVTROPES.ORG

OR

Is this dumb?

I like it!

DianaSprinkle

Ah this is really cute. I like the TV design. And wooters seem to like shirts about reading. =D

oakenspirit

kevlar51 wrote:I like it!

Hey, thanks kev.
Tried a different style on this one- wanted simple and clean since some of my designs go into crazy town...

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 92 Private Messages Thirdbase9

The bio of Philo T. Farnsworth, what else would a TV be reading?

I don't know.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

I wonder how many anthropomorphized televisions we'll see?
Here's mine:

teevee by Ape Lad, on Flickr

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
bluetuba wrote:Have you seen teefury? Literally every day it's pop culture. Woot used to be different, but now that margain is much thinner.

TeeFury, Shirt Punch, RipT ... all three are predominantly pop-culture.

A quick glance at the last 20 Woot shirts - I count 12 that are not pop-culture based. IMHO, that's still being reasonably balanced.

DianaSprinkle

WOW, I finished my shirt the night before the derby opens. That's some kind of weird freak occurrence.

I went with a really different color palette this time just to change things up a bit. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's designs tomorrow. =D

DianaSprinkle

oakenspirit wrote:Here's one I'm working on... QR code leads to random page on TVTROPES.ORG

OR

Is this dumb?

Overall I really like the clean simple style and the shape of the TV, but the green feels a little out of place like it's fighting the colors on the rest of the shirt.

It will probably be fine but you might try dimming the green color slightly and see how that looks. Maybe try some other muted colors. Right now I'm getting an earth day feeling and I'm not sure your going for that.

DianaSprinkle

ApeLad wrote:I wonder how many anthropomorphized televisions we'll see?
Here's mine:

teevee by Ape Lad, on Flickr

LOL I think there will be quite a few personified TVs as the theme write up is just a teeny bit vague. This is really cute and happy!

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone

The Brave Little Toaster

oakenspirit

DianaSprinkle wrote:Overall I really like the clean simple style and the shape of the TV, but the green feels a little out of place like it's fighting the colors on the rest of the shirt.

It will probably be fine but you might try dimming the green color slightly and see how that looks. Maybe try some other muted colors. Right now I'm getting an earth day feeling and I'm not sure your going for that.

Thanks for taking the time to input and for the suggestion.

I originally had the static in greys but felt it seemed too lifeless... Once I went green, I struggled with getting the right contrast between the greens for my phone to actually scan the qr image. I like the look of it, as it seemed (to me at least) to play off of the old greenish retro feel AND a more high tech look-

I do see what you are saying though.

I'll see how it sits with me before the deadline-

anyone else get a similar vibe from the green? Is it too much?