WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do people ever stop you and ask you about your Shirt.Woot shirts?
  • 58.1% - Yeah! (Stories in the comments please!) 712
  • 41.9% - Nope. Never. 513
1225 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

Not that I recall, though I did see quite a few at a convention I went to a few years ago.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

The one that I get the most comments on is the "Eating Healthy" one. The leap year one with all the mathy stuff on it gets a ton of weird looks though too.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

waterresistant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waterresistant

I've gotten compliments before, but the best was when I had someone ask me if my shirt was from a real race. I was wearing "Think of the Children."

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/think-of-the-children

darkknight1992

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkknight1992

I was stopped by TSA agents leaving home and coming home from vacation last year so they could look at shirts. Unstealthiest ninga 2 and vegan vegetarian meatatarian.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Compliments on one or two...and my son has had some comments on his little versions. SCIENCE!

ardubu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ardubu

Yeah, Thanks A lot Science!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

jrs1980

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jrs1980

The ones that come to mind now are the pilot on a flight back from New Orleans and John Mulaney.

On my tablet so forgive me if links are borked.

I was wearing Zombie Vampire Robots from Spaaaace, and the pilots were watching everyone board the plane. The pilot read it aloud and wanted to know how such a monster could be defeated. I'd thought about that earlier in the day and replied, "a flaming stake. With a magnet on the other end."

For John Mulaney, (former SNL writer, hopeful NBC pilot star) I saw him do a stand-up show in mid-March, and I was sitting second row and wearing my Filthy Hippies tee. He stops mid-show and says to me, "filthy hippies?" "Live in concert, just about everywhere," I reply. He asks if it's a real band, and I'm like, "it's a...joke t-shirt?" "Oh, I get it. It could be a real band, though." I pluck up my courage and reply, "not if they don't want to get sued!"

We talked for another five minutes, right in the middle of his show. Thanks, shirt.woot!

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

crazykidtexan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazykidtexan

Nerds. They are every where.

enough of this...

I want it all...

qwerty82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwerty82

I bought Ding Dong The Witch is Dead for my mother and people stop her constantly so they can try to figure it out.

When I wear my The Cat in the Box most people don't get it which kinda makes me sad! They either assume it's just a straight Cat in the Hat shirt or they just look at me funny while they try to pronounce "Shrodinger".

And just tonight my friend remarked about how jealous he is about my F5 Refreshes you shirt.

onawhitehorse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onawhitehorse

I get comments on my Woot! shirts all the time. I work at a mini-mart, so I have a pretty high traffic of folks coming through and many are geeky enough to get what's happening before them.
Falling Dreams always gets a few comments, whether people know the story or just like the art, whereas Finger Lickin' Deathwish gets all the right geeks going by the time we're done with checkout.

While walking around a grocery store, someone once offered to buy Minor Modifications, a shirt I got in a grab bag, off my back for twenty bucks.

Woot! shirts always pay off in the long run for me, especially as a chick who enjoys a good method of imparting my nerdy nature to the world.
I would've stopped buying 'em a long time ago if they didn't inspire a conversation or two.

monkey06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkey06

Triple Word Score and Wheels on the Bus get comments every time.

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte

I have received a few comments.

M.C. Escher: Space Planner for Hire seems to baffle people.

A barista at Starbucks held up the line quite a bit to check out (front and back) and comment on The Cheese is a Liederkranz. I told him all about shirt.woot, but unfortunately that was before you could order the whole back collection.

THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR MANHANDSHA'S BADGE

ben732

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ben732

This one definitely gets the most attention & laughs Donut-Panic.

And Which Way to Bacon Town comes in a close second!

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

At the Red Bull Air Race a couple years ago, a guy stopped and said nice shirt (Cookie Monster after a Binge). He pointed at his shirt, the crow looking one and then walked away.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I don't go outside.

move along

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

I get comments on most of them I wear. At my kid's taekwondo school, the owner always looks forward to days when I go because he enjyos my shirt.woot collection. Here are the most commented of my collection:

*These two get comments absolutely everywhere Console Wars and World 1-1 Building.
*I love this one and I get a bunch of "I don't get it"s and for every 5 of those, I get 1 person that also loves the As You Wish (Princess Bride Coat of Arms) shirt.
*404 Heart Not Found is pretty popular with my web developing friends.
*If I Only Had a Brain and Sudden Death generally gets comments and laughs.
*Generally people my age (mid 30s) and older like and comment on Finding Technicolor
*Always getting comments and a personal favorite The Best Thing Since
*People seem to love the resemblance to Bender on Robo Hobo. We'll see if it continues now that Futurama is canceled (again).
*And come winter time I always get lots of compliments on Snowman

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

I get tons of comments on http://shirt.woot.com/offers/donut-panic!

I have been replying "I got it from shirt.woot.com. They only sell the shirts for a small period of time but they always have great designs. But I don't buy shirts from them because they change to these *%&(*<&)%(*<&$%*(<&&>P*(&<>P*(&<^&*Y")(*&&*>P(*<>&*(&<# shirts that fit like crap. So you won't get this awesome American Apparel shirt, you will get some crappy Central American generic t-shirt."

Or something very similar. I do mention that I NO LONGER BUY SHIRTS due to lack of AA blanks EVERY TIME!

tippypaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tippypaws
darkknight1992 wrote:I was stopped by TSA agents leaving home and coming home from vacation last year so they could look at shirts. Unstealthiest ninga 2 and vegan vegetarian meatatarian.

I wore the Meatatarian one to a city-wide barbecue contest and got a lot of compliments on it.

tippypaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tippypaws
qwerty82 wrote:I bought Ding Dong The Witch is Dead for my mother and people stop her constantly so they can try to figure it out.

I have this one and not one single person has been able to figure it out yet. They'll say "Ho Ho elf?" one even said "Ho Ho the witch is dead." I thought it was pretty obvious what it was, but I guess not.

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

Constantly stopped whenever I wear the 42 one, http://shirt.woot.com/offers/thanks-for-all-the-fish

Someone offered to buy Mr. Spork at ComicCon, http://shirt.woot.com/offers/mr-spork

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

I get comments on my woot shirts all the time. The ones that get the most comments (or most memorable ones):

Acquired Taste: biggest hit with strangers, and last year in a Halloween shop I had a small crowd asking me about it.

Another Sleepless Day: for some reason I tend to wear this one whenever I go to our local water gardening nursery. The employees know me by that shirt.

You Have to Try This Guys:
Woman 1: Oh, what a cute shirt! What's it mean?
Woman 2: Wait, what's coming out of... is that meat?
Woman 1: Oh. My. Well, that's certainly... something.
(Both women then averted their eyes and pointedly started talking to someone else. Heh.)

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I get a lot of, "I don' get it." responses followed by, "That's stoopit" when I explain it.

(In case you haven't noticed a lot of dumb people think anything they don't understand is stupid.)

mentalEill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mentalEill

I wore my Duck Hunt shirt to a comic convention one year. I was in a merch booth buying a shirt and one of the workers asked me about my shirt. He then said he knew I didn't get it there because none of their shirts were that cool.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake

Not as often as I would figure, even though I'm wearing one most days. Then again, I don't go out too often, so I suppose that's a good reason too.

As a category, the naughty-vs.-nice seems to get the most comments. Fablefire's meat bunnies and Ramy's squirrel come to mind.

(Side note: 880 votes for second? 1,444 votes for first? *sigh* Those were the days ...)

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Alas, I only ever get comments on two of my dozens of shirts. They're awesome ones, though. One is rglee's "Squeeze" (it's total artist bait at comicons), and the other is "Disapproving Narwhal" (though, last summer, a hardcore stereotype of a hipster was admiring it and I got pretty self-conscious and questioning about my fashion and life choices for a while after but then whateva whateva I do what I want).

The other few times I've ever received comments on a t-shirt, it's been while I was wearing one of my few non-woot tees (that originally debuted in a woot derby). If I'm wearing Randyotter's "(m)anteater," then I'm getting comments on it. Once, because of the shirt, I regaled a whole crowd of passengers around me in the O'hare airport immigration line on the meaning behind the art and then an explanation and short history of memes. It was the least terrible slog through immigration ever!

magnoliasouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages magnoliasouth

I've gotten a number of "where did you get that shirt?!" compliments.

The two that gets the most is the bazinga (formula for success) and the cookie monster (the binge).

Everyone wants those. EVERYONE.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.

prorer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prorer

"Exercise, some motivation required" is a favorite at the gym.

gwendyw

quality posts: 8 Private Messages gwendyw

"The Last Cupcake" got me a free designer cupcake once, and I frequently get comments on "Acquired Taste," "The Formula for Success," and "The Raven."

My 12 year old nephew, due to my evil influence, has had a wardrobe made up almost entirely of Woot offerings for quite some time. Picking him up from school one day, I discovered he is "that one kid who wears all the funny t-shirts and cool hoodies." I was asked by 5 parents and a couple of teachers where I got his shirts.

Thanks, Shirt.woot, for making my nerdy nephew a little bit cool.

elthewolfesq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elthewolfesq

People ask about my shirts all the time, but especially the Resist shirt.

penguinator66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penguinator66

One time while I was wearing my Villainous Victorian Velociraptor shirt, someone stopped, looked at it and said "what?"

crazedyote

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazedyote
darkknight1992 wrote:I was stopped by TSA agents leaving home and coming home from vacation last year so they could look at shirts. Unstealthiest ninga 2 and vegan vegetarian meatatarian.

If it was Little Rock, AR it may have been me.

I see more woot shirts at my airport than I thought I would.

lclement4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lclement4

About 99% of woot shirts are too stupid or ugly to wear.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

lclement4 wrote:About 99% of woot shirts are too stupid or ugly to wear.

spongebrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spongebrain

The one I get the most comments on is I'm A Humanatarian. I am a Cub and Boy Scout leader and the kids love to see what t-shirt I have on under my uniform shirt.

The worst reaction was when I wore Fin to work during Health And Safety day. Some people just don't get it...

Life goes on...and on...and on...

qwerty82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwerty82
tippypaws wrote:I have this one and not one single person has been able to figure it out yet. They'll say "Ho Ho elf?" one even said "Ho Ho the witch is dead." I thought it was pretty obvious what it was, but I guess not.

Totally! They always guess Ho Ho! We say, "it's not a Ho Ho. It's a ...???" And pretty much no one ever gets it!

I remember I laughed hysterically just seeing the thumbnail from the regular Woot! page! It's a great shirt.

wolfdyke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfdyke
qwerty82 wrote:Totally! They always guess Ho Ho! We say, "it's not a Ho Ho. It's a ...???" And pretty much no one ever gets it!

I remember I laughed hysterically just seeing the thumbnail from the regular Woot! page! It's a great shirt.

When I was pictured wearing that shirt on my Facebook page, a follower admitted that she had to Google it before she realized what it meant...

ToeKneeAre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ToeKneeAre

Yes, many people stop me for Questionable Table of Elements. They think it's the real table...and then scratch their heads as they wonder or laugh. I'll admit, I had to "Encarta it" (look up) "tldr" after about two years of owning the shirt. I never noticed it, nor did I get it.

norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca

Most recently while we were at the grocery store, my boyfriend was sporting his 1-up shirt and one of the clerks called out, "I love your shirt! Where'd you get it?"

Another time, at the gym, I was wearing Trust Me and another member's kids did double takes and stood there gawking at my shirt saying "Hey dad... look, ninja turtles!"

The Raven was recognized immediately when we were in line at this year's Emerald City ComicCon in Seattle and prompted a lengthy discussion of shirt wooting in an even lengthier line to get into the con.

And finally, my dear, sweet Mug Shot hoodie (which takes a very close second to pandemonium in order of my favorites) got an "I don't get it" from a friend at work, but my mom adores it... so therefore it is awesome.

The end.

norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca
gwendyw wrote:
My 12 year old nephew, due to my evil influence, has had a wardrobe made up almost entirely of Woot offerings for quite some time. Picking him up from school one day, I discovered he is "that one kid who wears all the funny t-shirts and cool hoodies." I was asked by 5 parents and a couple of teachers where I got his shirts.

Thanks, Shirt.woot, for making my nerdy nephew a little bit cool.

Since everyone around me seems to reproducing these days, I totally intend to be the "awesome auntie" and totally outfit all the kids with shirt woot stuff.

...if only they printed on onesies...