3%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

If books are murder, they're enjoyable, well-loved, easy-to-read-in-the-tub, wonderful murder...

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Vanstorm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Vanstorm

Was tempted to buy this one, but the little disclaimer about ebooks pretty much kills it for me. I think it would be much funnier without that. Just my humble opinion.

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10

o_O Are you serious??? Is that supposed to be ironic? Is it a parody reflection on the realities of competition that sometimes creates underhanded campaigns designed to discredit opponents? Oh I got it. Hahaha good point but a bit too subtle.

madcow19

quality posts: 10 Private Messages madcow19
Vanstorm wrote:Was tempted to buy this one, but the little disclaimer about ebooks pretty much kills it for me. I think it would be much funnier without that. Just my humble opinion.

Ditto

jkmahan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jkmahan

What's up with paypal being disabled?

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

And here I thought that it was about how books basically murder my productivity. 'Cause that's what happens when I get into a good book, just kills my productivity.

E-books are murder too. Just think of all the sand and ore we had to kill to mine the silicon and other minerals needed to make the electronic chips and components. And all the oil byproducts we killed to make the plastic casing.

(and before anyone comes at me with the obvious, yes, I know the difference in "life" between trees and sand and such.)

spikedknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spikedknight

Unsure why that "happy little tree" makes me think of my pal Bob Ross.....

profile V 2.0

lonelypond

quality posts: 422 Private Messages lonelypond

Another reason to love shirtwoot!, the sense of humor that can warp more things than wood ; )

L4m3r

quality posts: 11 Private Messages L4m3r

Reminds me of that hilarious (and rather violent) old game Postal 2... I feel like the shirt should be yellow.

"SAVE A TREE, BURN A BOOK!"

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jkmahan wrote:What's up with paypal being disabled?

Sorry. It stinks but you will have to use an alternate payment method for a bit while we iron out some issues. Sorry for the inconvenience.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SmartBugger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SmartBugger

What happened to the American Apparel option?

wootpapa

quality posts: 18 Private Messages wootpapa
neuropsychosocial wrote:If books are murder, they're enjoyable, well-loved, easy-to-read-in-the-tub, wonderful murder...

And books aren't hazardous electronic waste. There's something ironic about suggesting e-readers are good for the environment. It might be true if people kept an e-reader for life, instead of upgrading every few years.

buckylarue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buckylarue

If you don't believe books are murder, I refer you to the Silence In The Library & Forest Of The Dead episodes of Doctor Who. [Frankly, I thought this was going to be marketed as another Doctor Who shirt....]

JeffQ

quality posts: 6 Private Messages JeffQ
safyrejet wrote:E-books are murder too. Just think of all the sand and ore we had to kill to mine the silicon and other minerals needed to make the electronic chips and components. And all the oil byproducts we killed to make the plastic casing

You have a point, but right now, I've got 200+ unique ebooks (with quite a few copied to both of my e-reading devices), and they don't use any more physical materials than what came with the devices. Compare that to several hundred pounds of dead trees. (And if/when I replace these devices, it won't have anything to do with cramming more ebooks on them, so there's no additional waste.)

msnetters

quality posts: 2 Private Messages msnetters

Trees are a renewable resource. Most of the things that go into making an e-reader are not. Companies that make paper typically plant more trees than they cut down. Paper books smell better too

andypop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages andypop

I really want this shirt, but no American Apparel option??

Every non-AA Woot! shirt I've purchased goes unworn because the fit is terrible. The neck openings are huge and the sleeves are too short. I keep thinking the next one will be better, but they never are.

inkfairy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkfairy
wootpapa wrote:And books aren't hazardous electronic waste. There's something ironic about suggesting e-readers are good for the environment. It might be true if people kept an e-reader for life, instead of upgrading every few years.

True story! I mean, all the fossil fuels, petroleum, electricity it takes to produce and distribute e-readers, and then the electricity to use it, then updating.
But my thought was that if something were to happen to the internet or to electricity, a worldwide hack or a disaster of some sort, everything would be lost. We'd literally have nothing because our entire world is simply 10101010011001001000101011

inkfairy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkfairy
JeffQ wrote:You have a point, but right now, I've got 200+ unique ebooks (with quite a few copied to both of my e-reading devices), and they don't use any more physical materials than what came with the devices. Compare that to several hundred pounds of dead trees. (And if/when I replace these devices, it won't have anything to do with cramming more ebooks on them, so there's no additional waste.)

What about the electricity it takes to run the thing? That doesn't come out of thin air, you know.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

But books are your livelihood, man. Think what you're saying!

Great shirt.

lamautomatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lamautomatic

I would have bought 3 of these shirts if they still had the AMERICAN APPAREL version =/

capsfanbryce

quality posts: 4 Private Messages capsfanbryce

Cute shirt, but I'm partial to my "Books, no electricity required." Woot tee.

Vicarz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Vicarz

Shared with my ex, a library sciences graduate student in Baltimore. I think it's time the world knew her horrible, horrible truth. Run, run for your lives!

Though I'm not convinced the alarm will be readily recognized in powder blue...

battra92

quality posts: 4 Private Messages battra92

As someone who finds e-readers and their like to be nothing but soul-less clones of real books I can appreciate the humor of it.

Of course, there's plenty of other items we can make paper from including sugarcane (bagasse) bamboo, textile waste (e.g. cotton) etc.

BadgerAPEX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BadgerAPEX

I thought about getting this for my daughter who loves to read physical books (hates the e-book readers). Then I thought about her wearing a shirt that had the word "Murder" on it at school.

I think I'll pass.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues? The writers of Woot are either extremely well read or they saw the obscure 1993 adaptation. Either way, that's just crazy.

Seriously, if you don't know what that book is, read the Wikipedia page.

drewdad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewdad

...literate, literate murder.

anhonet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anhonet
SmartBugger wrote:What happened to the American Apparel option?

I'd buy this one if the AA option was still around.

polidiotic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polidiotic
msnetters wrote:Trees are a renewable resource. Most of the things that go into making an e-reader are not. Companies that make paper typically plant more trees than they cut down. Paper books smell better too

Ding ding ding!!! ;]

brendanmwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brendanmwoot
anhonet wrote:I'd buy this one if the AA option was still around.

Ditto, Anvil fit just isn't quite right for me; especially after I inevitably shrink them in the dryer.

exillinimj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exillinimj

Anvil shirts are murder.

andypop wrote:I really want this shirt, but no American Apparel option??

Every non-AA Woot! shirt I've purchased goes unworn because the fit is terrible. The neck openings are huge and the sleeves are too short. I keep thinking the next one will be better, but they never are.

iamwiz82

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iamwiz82
Vanstorm wrote:Was tempted to buy this one, but the little disclaimer about ebooks pretty much kills it for me. I think it would be much funnier without that. Just my humble opinion.

Same here

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA

If you also believe that books are murder, you should consider joining the Society To End Vegetation Exploitation. (It's not spam, I promise.)

http://steve.svpocketpc.com/vegexploit.html

tinachaffee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tinachaffee

While we are on the subject of murder, could we please murder a few extra cotton plants, or plastic bottles, or whatever this shirt is made out of and carry it (and ALL of the others) in sizes up to 5x?

lcarscad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lcarscad

I'm a librarian and going to a conference in ~3 weeks. I'm trying to convince myself that trolling the exhibits with this shirt on would be fun.

dmbarber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmbarber
lcarscad wrote:I'm a librarian and going to a conference in ~3 weeks. I'm trying to convince myself that trolling the exhibits with this shirt on would be fun.

haha! I am working on my MLIS degree and I am wondering if I am brave enough to wear this to class.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

I always knew there was something Sinister about those Goosebumps books...

007gorilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 007gorilla

Are you CRAZY!!! Books are Super GREEN.
The more books there are the more trees they plant. Just like corn it is a renewable crop. TEE SHIRTS ARE MURDER!!
How about all that slugs and chemical waste being dumped into the central american rivers making your tee shirts.
Manufactured In: Honduras/Nicaragua
Not to mention the child labor making them.
A BOOK is the greenest product on earth!!

sliderhouserules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sliderhouserules

Same for me as well. I called my wife over to the computer to look at it (she's a high school science teacher, and so is geeky enough to appreciate this humor), and she immediately noticed and said the same thing.

Also, I've never ordered a shirt from woot, so the people talking about this not having the American Apparel option would have made me leery by itself.

DavidHart

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DavidHart
inkfairy wrote:What about the electricity it takes to run the thing? That doesn't come out of thin air, you know.

There is nothing preventing people from recharging their eBook reader using a solar panel.

So, yes, the electricity can come out of thin air... er, sunlight actually...