WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What non-shirt product would you like us to sell more of?
  • 18% - Duffels 164
  • 17.6% - Posters 160
  • 31.8% - Hats 289
  • 23.7% - Mugs 215
  • 8.9% - Other (comments) 81
909 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

lonelypond


quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond

Wouldn't mind a woot monkey hat. To clarify: my mental picture is baseball hat with wootish monkey rather than monkey hat with ears, but you may have other ideas ; )

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

stickers. been way too long since I've gotten my lisa frank onnnnn.

jnelson203


quality posts: 4 Private Messages jnelson203

Socks, the fox stole all mine.

fmfbrestel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages fmfbrestel

Onesies! Bibs! Baby clothes! I want to buy "The Binge" printed on baby clothes. I will buy it for my kids, and then i will buy more to gift.

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
goldenthorn wrote:stickers. been way too long since I've gotten my lisa frank onnnnn.



Given the backstory of how what's-her-face bought a sticker to glean its design and how there have been cases of other artists having their art reproduced on shirts via the same method, I can't imagine stickers being an option.

On a more serious note to shirt.woot's decision makers - do something about the core product before diversifying to more non-shirt products. The drop in sales didn't happen overnight, and it's going to take much longer than a month to try and regain that.

wolfchik


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfchik

all of the above..

ceagee


quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

Leak frogs, glow sticks, etc....

Or did you mean specifically in shirt.woot?



goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Narfcake wrote:Given the backstory of how what's-her-face bought a sticker to glean its design and how there have been cases of other artists having their art reproduced on shirts via the same method, I can't imagine stickers being an option.



fmfbrestel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages fmfbrestel

Seriously with the onesies and/or bibs. You've got at least 5 designs on the current top 20 that I would buy in baby form. (but Rex only works as a bib, IMHO) Heck, I would even get Trees are murder on a onesie. Ironic social commentary on my baby? Yes, Please!

astroliner


quality posts: 1 Private Messages astroliner

I voted hats, 'cause I'd love a hat. But! Not like, baseball caps. Other kinds of hats. You can be creative.

sweetkimy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sweetkimy

How about magnets?!? I love lots of the shirts, but I don't often wear t-shirts. I could stick the magnets all over my fridge and my locker at work!!!

gibizugbe


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gibizugbe

Toys!!!

ardubu


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

Tattoos! Do it yourself!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

berblaine


quality posts: 2 Private Messages berblaine

your children how much for the little girl.

charliecarroll


quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
Narfcake wrote:.....On a more serious note to shirt.woot's decision makers - do something about the core product before diversifying to more non-shirt products. The drop in sales didn't happen overnight, and it's going to take much longer than a month to try and regain that.



No offence Woot but frankly your designs are pretty l-a-m-e and that most likely is the reason for your slowing sales. Just check out a half dozen or so competitors in this type product and view what they offer. They are making sales and the designs they are selling are not what Woot is offering. Of course you can say well, we are different and you are. Your sales are falling off. I like Woot and wish you well but in all the years I have been checking out shirt woot, I have purchased just two.

mdkopper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

What non-shirt product would you like us to sell more of?



Nothing!

sunnyx0r


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sunnyx0r

Totes. I really want to get my hands on a "Makin' Bread" tote to put groceries in.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
berblaine wrote:how much for the little girl. How much for the women?


TIFTFY

move along

jhomes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhomes

Music - CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, Vinyl, Hi-Rez Downloads... all at great Woot Prices!

aethera21


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aethera21
mdkopper wrote:What non-shirt product would you like us to sell more of?



Nothing!



Seconded. Enough products already. Watches? Stop it.

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
charliecarroll wrote:No offence Woot but frankly your designs are pretty l-a-m-e and that most likely is the reason for your slowing sales. Just check out a half dozen or so competitors in this type product and view what they offer. They are making sales and the designs they are selling are not what Woot is offering. Of course you can say well, we are different and you are. Your sales are falling off. I like Woot and wish you well but in all the years I have been checking out shirt woot, I have purchased just two.



Just go back to teefury then. Some people think mashing up Dr. Who with every other possible pop culture reference is effing stupid, and fortunately Woot has not yet resorted to that (too much). Woot also actually allows discussion of other sites.

edit: Yes, shirt.woot's slowing sales are caused in part by increased competition from copycat sites. Duh.

cabbygirl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cabbygirl
sunnyx0r wrote:Totes. I really want to get my hands on a "Makin' Bread" tote to put groceries in.



Word!

thumperchick


quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick
lonelypond wrote:Wouldn't mind a woot monkey hat. To clarify: my mental picture is baseball hat with wootish monkey rather than monkey hat with ears, but you may have other ideas ; )



I thought you meant a hat for my woot monkeys.

uberlaria4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages uberlaria4

Aprons!

thumperchick


quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick
Narfcake wrote:On a more serious note to shirt.woot's decision makers - do something about the core product before diversifying to more non-shirt products. The drop in sales didn't happen overnight, and it's going to take much longer than a month to try and regain that.



^^^This^^^

Annetta0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Annetta0

Please consider adding aprons and other screen print items. Thank you so much!

quabaq


quality posts: 4 Private Messages quabaq

More tote bags please!

kayakgirl418


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kayakgirl418

I second the aprons. I have an unhealthy obsession.

djp519


quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519

My first thought is to sell better quality shirts.

My second thought is, I saw a guy wearing a copycat shirt this weekend, the eggs and bacon as a skull and crossbones, but not *quite* the same as the Woot.

My third thought is, 3X options for the hoodies and longsleeve T's.

kutiel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

Aprons. I wish more of these shirts where on Aprons.

atherea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages atherea

You guys don't sell enough styles of shirt. I'd love it if more designs were printed on tank-tops. I don't wear t-shirts unless I'm going to bed, but I wear tanks religiously.

dbuggr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dbuggr

I'd love to have the option to buy a poster print of any design in the "all designs" section. I would love love love that and I would buy lots of posters.

RomeoJN


quality posts: 2 Private Messages RomeoJN

Hunting, firearms, bows, etc.

Or just go on and make a full survival.woot!

rosita74


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosita74

Pet stuff!!!

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

Ehhhh. Print on Demand hats are kind of Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!. That's sort of like trying to do print on demand sneakers.

I voted for Duffel Bags, but honestly, Posters is probably one of the more requested things. Essentially "oversized prints".

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

jettavdwrvr


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jettavdwrvr
fmfbrestel wrote:Onesies! Bibs! Baby clothes! I want to buy "The Binge" printed on baby clothes. I will buy it for my kids, and then i will buy more to gift.



THIS! You win!

jettavdwrvr


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jettavdwrvr
sunnyx0r wrote:Totes. I really want to get my hands on a "Makin' Bread" tote to put groceries in.



Yes! Bigger totes, too. How about big beach sized bags and even beach towels?

hwalsh10284


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

pirate goods

eye patches
wooden legs
hooks
cannons
grog
scurvy treatments
cutlass' (oldsmobile is ok)
jibs
pieces of eight
parrots
crutches
pipes
booty
doubloons
rum
big boots
loot
ale
muskets
powder
ball & shot
jolly roger flags with skull & cross bones
planks
gold
ballast
sheets (no the other kind)
spars
Cat o'nine tails
grub
sails
Spyglass
swag
shovels & picks
chests
belaying pins
marlinespikes
musketoons & blunderbuss'
puffy shirts and baggy pants

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
itoaseik wrote:Just go back to teefury then. Some people think mashing up Dr. Who with every other possible pop culture reference is effing stupid, and fortunately Woot has not yet resorted to that (too much). Woot also actually allows discussion of other sites.


Sometimes I wonder if the Doctor Who mashup market would ever get saturated. So far, it seems the answer is no.

(disclaimer - owns a few some Doctor Who inspired shirts from here).

As for discussing other sites - TF used to be more lenient until a bunch of customers couldn't figure out that the sidebar art was actually available at the artist's own site which was linked to at the very top of the page, so instead of a real discussion, there was a bunch of folks clamoring "I will buy ____ on a shirt now!!1!" and a similar number of followups pointing them to the said site.

Now repeat that 100 times.

edit: Yes, shirt.woot's slowing sales are caused in part by increased competition from copycat sites. Duh.


I wonder how Threadless' sales are doing, seeing how as far as I can tell, they've been Woot's target from the beginning.

Many of the newer sites cater to pop-culture mashups, which limits my appeal. It doesn't help that some sites use blanks that are of even lower quality than the Anvil shirts used here.

In all honesty, there are a multitude of reasons for the drop in sales and participation.

- The debut day price increase from $10 to $12.
- The change in blanks.
- Quality control issues.
- Woot's #1 volume artist, whose designs have sold over 300,000 shirts here in the past 4+ years, ventured out on his own.
- The site redesign last year.
- Opening the back catalog, which is absolutely great for the artists, but removed the sense of urgency (aka impulse) to buy right away.
- Folks just plain burned out.
- The multitude of buying options, spreading thin the time that folks would've spent at shirt.woot otherwise.
- The overall drop in site traffic due to a combination of the above.

Woot can't address every item, but some are still within their control.