itoaseik wrote:Just go back to teefury then. Some people think mashing up Dr. Who with every other possible pop culture reference is effing stupid, and fortunately Woot has not yet resorted to that (too much). Woot also actually allows discussion of other sites.
Sometimes I wonder if the Doctor Who mashup market would ever get saturated. So far, it seems the answer is no.
(disclaimer - owns a few some Doctor Who inspired shirts from here).
As for discussing other sites - TF used to be more lenient until a bunch of customers couldn't figure out that the sidebar art was actually available at the artist's own site which was linked to at the very top of the page, so instead of a real discussion, there was a bunch of folks clamoring "I will buy ____ on a shirt now!!1!" and a similar number of followups pointing them to the said site.
Now repeat that 100 times.
edit: Yes, shirt.woot's slowing sales are caused in part by increased competition from copycat sites. Duh.
I wonder how Threadless' sales are doing, seeing how as far as I can tell, they've been Woot's target from the beginning.
Many of the newer sites cater to pop-culture mashups, which limits my appeal. It doesn't help that some sites use blanks that are of even lower quality than the Anvil shirts used here.
In all honesty, there are a multitude of reasons for the drop in sales and participation.
- The debut day price increase from $10 to $12.
- The change in blanks.
- Quality control issues.
- Woot's #1 volume artist, whose designs have sold over 300,000 shirts here in the past 4+ years, ventured out on his own.
- The site redesign last year.
- Opening the back catalog, which is absolutely great for the artists, but removed the sense of urgency (aka impulse) to buy right away.
- Folks just plain burned out.
- The multitude of buying options, spreading thin the time that folks would've spent at shirt.woot otherwise.
- The overall drop in site traffic due to a combination of the above.
Woot can't address every item, but some are still within their control.
No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS!
Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.
Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support