WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If you were an alien anthropologist studying video game culture through t-shirts, you might deduce that there are only about 10 games in existence. The one about the plumber, the one about taking a caravan to Oregon, and a handful of others.

Where are the odd-ball game designs? How will posterity remember such classics as Ecco the Dolphin, California Games, and Earthbound if we don't make funny t-shirts about them? Oh man, and what about Myst? Somebody please make a Myst design -- it'll make our day. 

Normal copyright rules apply. No text-only shirts. 

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Should ONLY be obscure games...
I think you should list 10-25 games or game series that are NOT allowed.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
benjaminleebates wrote:Should ONLY be obscure games...

Well, I mean, maybe they want more mario shirts. They sell, right?

laughtrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laughtrack

Derby 314 should've been Pie. Just sayin'...

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

You *do* realize that all of the winners this week will be Mario, Zelda or (possibly) one of the Star Wars games, right? If you want designs from oddball games, you'd best ban the 10-25 games that are always represented.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Definitely agree with the "list games banned from the derby" idea.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
lyonscc wrote:You *do* realize that all of the winners this week will be Mario, Zelda or (possibly) one of the Star Wars games, right? If you want designs from oddball games, you'd best ban the 10-25 games that are always represented.

You're right. It'll be a Mario Fest if they don't put out a ban list.

sonofafish

tomspc wrote:You're right. It'll be a Mario Fest if they don't put out a ban list.

as a relatively new derbyer, I don't know: have they ever amended the ban list after the announcement?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Yes. Rules can change. They try really hard not to change them after the derby has started, but it's happened.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
sonofafish wrote:as a relatively new derbyer, I don't know: have they ever amended the ban list after the announcement?

They have updated the rules after posting them in the past and should this time - I've got to agree that if there is to be an Ecco or Myst shirt as a winning design, then there had better be a heavy ban on all things Mario (which includes Donkey Kong and Yoshi), Pac-Man, Zelda and Elder Scrolls.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Maybe we can all stop trying to get my idea rejected... thanks.

Nothing follows.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

I attribute my deep rooted fear of the ocean in large part to Ecco the Dolphin. Nightmare fuel.

I suppose there is a shirt in there somewhere :P

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I wish I could come up with something for Myst, but I have thought long and hard to no avail Sorry woot.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Police, King, Space Quest mashup? Throw in a little LS Larry for good measure.

Another good one was Scorched Earth. Yeah, lookvout! Death's head coming at yer hill.

jontannerhansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jontannerhansen

If there isn't a battle toads shirt.. I will be sorely disappointed.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Oh, man. Ecco the Dolphin. I remember that game fondly.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:Oh, man. Ecco the Dolphin. I remember that game fondly.

That's one of the spookiest games I've played (I was 10), also has really good music:

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

So it has been almost a year since I posted my design in the pre-derby thread but I was wondering what people thought.

I call it One Keen Commander:

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

The Copyright Rule is "Use whatever characters you want, just don't get us sued!"

My favorite part of this theme is the "Oh no, please don't just make shirts with those same games and characters that everyone always buys " followed by no rules to disallow those things. "Oh no, more of the same. $ $ We desperately want some original ideas $ $"

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Nobody EVER parodies the arcade game Kick Man.

I remember playing this when I was growing up thinking "whoever thought of this really bad concept, and had the money to make it into an arcade game regardless?!?"

taternuggets

You know, obscure references are great and all when you want to reach a small target audience. There have been a number of days recently where sales average around 500. If you want to sell 2000 - 3000 shirts, you need to pander to a larger audience.

Nothing follows.

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
taternuggets wrote:You know, obscure references are great and all when you want to reach a small target audience. There have been a number of days recently where sales average around 500. If you want to sell 2000 - 3000 shirts, you need to pander to a larger audience.

I 2nd that !

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

I get you do what sells... I mean who doesn't want to have a hot seller on their hands... but part of me is also like you can only have so many Zelda shirts before you want something like BURGERTIME or JOUST.... wait.... don't take that. *runs off*

Serious though, it would be nice to see some more of the open ended derbies back everyone once and awhile with a ban on the pop. I'm not saying all the time, I get that's how Woot makes it money but I miss some of the oddball and weird shirts I used to get off the site.

Although supposedly one of my fav shirts is also one of the worst selling Woot has had... so move along I guess. LOL!

taternuggets

I totally understand and respect your point. I also like the quirky non run of the mill type shirts. The harsh reality is when you look at what's in the fog every week, and it's mario, zelda and doctor who.... it's hard to not want to be in that position. I have never seen doctor who but I've put a tardis on a t-shirt design because people love that thing. I agree that some derbies should continue to be pop culture free... or even just ban certain overused pop culture...otherwise the reckoning would be 20 similar shirts... I'm probably defending pop culture heavily tonight just because I know I have a mario shirt going up tomorrow... lol.

Nothing follows.

johndm83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johndm83

I had a few ideas for a Myst shirt, but a few hours into it and I can't make them work. On top of that I have to leave in the afternoon to house sit for the weekend, so I need my sleep. Good luck to you all!

chunkcherry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkcherry

Easy joke pop culture can supplement revenues to allow for low selling "creative" designs. That's currently not the case since neither are doing well.
Super Mario RPG away!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I haven't seen so many designs pop up in the first 5 mins of the derby in forever. Or maybe I just stopped paying attention. *shrug*

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bzbozo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzbozo

I don't think there's anything wrong with not restricting the prompt. If Mario wins, its because Mario is good. If Mario is more popular and more likable than some obscure character, so be it. If it allows for more creativity and spins, then it deserves to be used as a design concept. There are a lot of Mario references and poses - the designs should be extremely well done.

That being said, goodness gracious, the flood of submissions is amazing.

rootbeernmetal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rootbeernmetal
benjaminleebates wrote:Should ONLY be obscure games...

I agree. I'm tired of mario/zelda shirts. Not particularly original.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Perhaps this is an attempt to get more artists to submit...and it seems to be working.

Or, a few are submitting a lot more...hard to say. I suspect the first round of rejections will cull a lot that don't seem to have any parody, just 'hey, here is a video game scene'.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

drewniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewniak

Vote! For agony!!!!

My submission:

The game:

The company logo:

drewniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewniak
rootbeernmetal wrote:I agree. I'm tired of mario/zelda shirts. Not particularly original.

I will agree as well. There are a plethora of amazing games out there that get almost no attention.

vote for my entry:
http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/72854/psygnosis

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

Came for the Myst shirt.

Leaving disappointed

8[

EDIt: Scratch that, leave it to the ever awesome ochopika to deliver! http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/72968/strangers-arrival

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

Was out of town till today- hope I'm not too late! ;)

adenralumdan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adenralumdan

I have a myst design all ready to go! I just can't submit it yet, and I have to leave soon.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

a new rule needs to be no mashups!!! there are a lot of designs that is a mashup of movies and video games and the video games are hardly recognizable... some of them i have no idea what game it is suposta be, all i know its a major movie and wouldn't even know it was a video game reference unless someone told me

jinxgt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jinxgt

Based on the shirts in the fog this week, I think I'll take a pass. Already have enough Mario and Zelda shirts.

No love for Sonic. =(

sonofafish

jinxgt wrote:Based on the shirts in the fog this week, I think I'll take a pass. Already have enough Mario and Zelda shirts.

No love for Sonic. =(

I mean, lots of quality entries out there... vote for some! Maybe they won't win, but still, you never know!

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
jinxgt wrote:Based on the shirts in the fog this week, I think I'll take a pass. Already have enough Mario and Zelda shirts.

No love for Sonic. =(

Yeah, I don't get it. Looking at the fog, it's like the top entries are the exact opposite of the derby theme (which specifically calls out Mario and Oregon Trail).

Well I get it ($$$), but you'd think Woot would at least make some sort of effort to address this and keep this derby on point.

sonofafish

thewronggrape wrote:Yeah, I don't get it. Looking at the fog, it's like the top entries are the exact opposite of the derby theme (which specifically calls out Mario and Oregon Trail).

Well I get it ($$$), but you'd think Woot would at least make some sort of effort to address this and keep this derby on point.

This derby is anything but on-point. It's littered with designs that are all over the internet already.