WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Vincent Van Gogh (born 1853) was a Dutch impressionist painter who struggled with commercial success until he tapped into the lucrative "college dorm room poster" market. This week we're asking for designed inspired by the great artist -- whether parodies of his works or anything done in his style. You can't go wrong if you throw some sunflowers in there. 

No Doctor Who, Cats, or Video Games. No cutting off your own ears. 

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 7 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I'm getting a vague case of deja vu...
Any ideas of what derby might inspire this?

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi
No Doctor Who, Cats, or Video Games. No cutting off your own ears.

DON"T TELL ME WAT 2 DO

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Thank you for this theme! I can't wait to get home to start working on my idea!

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

smart catch on the "no doctor who" rule this week...the Doctor Who Van Gogh episode is fantastic

oakenspirit

quality posts: 84 Private Messages oakenspirit

Brace yourself for the inevitable THAT'S NO MOON starry night...

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
oakenspirit wrote:Brace yourself for the inevitable THAT'S NO MOON starry night...

Or the 18 billion starry night designs...

sonofafish

tjschaeffer wrote:Or the 18 billion starry night designs...

like so:

Caddywompus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Caddywompus

You should had just ran a "Starry Night" derby.

ste7enl

Guys, Guys, Guise! I'm gonna do something CRAZY! I'm going to make something...wait for it....original.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
sonofafish wrote:like so:

Exerctly.

Although maybe with a theme like this we might not get dozens of designs already being sold elsewhere.

ste7enl

whoops

benjaminleebates

ste7enl wrote:Guys, Guys, Guise! I'm gonna do something CRAZY! I'm going to make something...wait for it....original.

Cool! You'll be in great company with all the rest of us that don't get printed!!!

caspertheghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caspertheghost

Since the rules say no video games, are anime, comics, and films okay?

caspertheghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caspertheghost

Design IS NOT mine and I just found it on Google. Pretty witty.

ste7enl

benjaminleebates wrote:Cool! You'll be in great company with all the rest of us that don't get printed!!!

I mean, you can't always think that way. My last derby win was an original piece. It can happen, in fact it does more often than people realize- even if it's not the majority these days.

benjaminleebates

ste7enl wrote:I mean, you can't always think that way. My last derby win was an original piece. It can happen, in fact it does more often than people realize- even if it's not the majority these days.

Yeah, you are right, just being snarky...
What gives the impression of missing originality is the FOG. Even though the winners end up being the unique entries, the FOG is often populated with the mindless garbage.

ste7enl

benjaminleebates wrote:Yeah, you are right, just being snarky...
What gives the impression of missing originality is the FOG. Even though the winners end up being the unique entries, the FOG is often populated with the mindless garbage.

I can often agree with that.

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
ste7enl wrote:I mean, you can't always think that way. My last derby win was an original piece. It can happen, in fact it does more often than people realize- even if it's not the majority these days.

No... no, it doesn't. Not trying to be negative, just honest.

ste7enl

deboraho wrote:No... no, it doesn't. Not trying to be negative, just honest.

So then how did I win with an original piece? Explain.

ste7enl

anyway, all you negative nancies, I did this for the comp

Title: Scarecrogh

oakenspirit

Would a tiger be considered a "cat" as far as the rules go?

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote: anyway, all you negative nancies, I did this for the comp

Pretty rad man- love the harvesty look... man, that time is coming isn't it.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

Really really nice. Also, half of my 18 prints here have been original with no pop culture refs so yes original ideas do print, I agree with you.

tjost

tjost wrote:Really really nice. Also, half of my 18 prints here have been original with no pop culture refs so yes original ideas do print, I agree with you.

Also I finally got my black Woot square last night so everyone has to agree with me because as it says I'm now better then everyone else

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

This is really lovely.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

While this isn't in the style of Van Gogh, here is the concept I came up with for this week. I'm still working on it, but does it read ok so far?

tjost

jessisima wrote:
While this isn't in the style of Van Gogh, here is the concept I came up with for this week. I'm still working on it, but does it read ok so far?

Yup, though you may want to check, it seems like I've seen something similar to that before.

tjost

Also what shirt color is this because it doesn't look like any Woot offers. Really important to check that so it doesn't get rejected.

ste7enl

tjost wrote:Also I finally got my black Woot square last night so everyone has to agree with me because as it says I'm now better then everyone else

I mean, I think you could probably claim to be better than all of us for a while. Also, thanks for the feedback

ste7enl

tjost wrote:Also what shirt color is this because it doesn't look like any Woot offers. Really important to check that so it doesn't get rejected.

It's their red shirt, it's on the artist page.

ste7enl

jessisima wrote:This is really lovely.

Thank you

tjost

ste7enl wrote:It's their red shirt, it's on the artist page.

My next question then is does it look red on your screen because on mine it looks burnt orange red (mines calibrated too). When doing red shirts I color sample off the red shirt in the AI file and it gives a much redder tone then what yours looks like. Just wondering.

sonofafish

Been working on this for a good bit of the night, still needs more work, but what do you guys think so far? Hoping it doesn't get banned, given that it's not a processed photo or a trace. Anyway, feedback appreciated!

tjost

sonofafish wrote:Been working on this for a good bit of the night, still needs more work, but what do you guys think so far? Hoping it doesn't get banned, given that it's not a processed photo or a trace. Anyway, feedback appreciated!

I'm not getting the ref but if it's a celeb likeness it will get banned photo or not.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got.

Vincent Van Fro by Ape Lad, on Flickr

oakenspirit

This is mine so far... any thoughts?

ste7enl

tjost wrote:My next question then is does it look red on your screen because on mine it looks burnt orange red (mines calibrated too). When doing red shirts I color sample off the red shirt in the AI file and it gives a much redder tone then what yours looks like. Just wondering.

I color sampled the available swatch that's the same in their template file. Maybe it's the save for web option, but it looks exactly like their red shirt (in real life) on my screen, no orange

oakenspirit

sonofafish wrote:Been working on this for a good bit of the night, still needs more work, but what do you guys think so far? Hoping it doesn't get banned, given that it's not a processed photo or a trace. Anyway, feedback appreciated!

You are likely fine, as I don't know if woot counts authors as celebrities... I did this one ages ago (don't laugh it was my second derby) and it wasn't rejected. Like the tentacle brushstrokes.

oakenspirit

ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got.

Vincent Van Fro by Ape Lad, on Flickr

This is rad- though I can't stop ALSO seeing Conan O'brien. heh!