WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

A Derby design is worth a thousand words (or, like, 1,125 words in the case of text-as-art design Nevermore). The tablet stylus is mightier than the Vorpal Sword. We could go on and on with these tired old tropes and adages, but the point is: text-as-art is super fantastic and we want to see your best. So warm up your kerning machine and show us what you've got. (Did you notice that this paragraph is in the shape of a box-like item??)

• No super-duper-tiny font sizes 
  • No copyrighted text 

ALSO! DON'T STOP READING! We're running a Bag Derby this week to pick the next batch of our shipping bags. It's another chance to score a cool grand and place yourself in the hallowed halls of Shirt.Woot fame. Check it out! 

sjaynedesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign

Cool idea! I'm definitely in.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Anything goes? Would something like my Drink Coffee shirt be acceptable, or does the text have to form a picture?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
orabbit wrote:Anything goes? Would something like my Drink Coffee shirt be acceptable, or does the text have to form a picture?

Go check out the link in the description to see what was done in the past...
Text as art is referring to text creating a piece of art, not text for the sake of text.
Your drink coffee, would be closer to logo, signage or communicative art, not text art, where the text is secondary to the image that it is incorporated within.
Staff, please correct me if I am off base...

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

I subbed this as a daily, four days before Vorpal Sword was printed (GMTA). Glad I held onto it and have been too busy to shop it around elsewhere!

I still need to settle on a color/palette, though, as I like several:

Thoughts?

(Also, I've spell-checked it three times, and made sure the nonsense words (like "Wabe") are 'correctly' spelled.)

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
lyonscc wrote:I subbed this as a daily, four days before Vorpal Sword was printed (GMTA). Glad I held onto it and have been too busy to shop it around elsewhere!

Thoughts?

(Also, I've spell-checked it three times, and made sure the nonsense words (like "Wabe") are 'correctly' spelled.)

I mean, they just did that vorpal sword using the same text.

lyonscc

sonofafish wrote:I mean, they just did that vorpal sword using the same text.

I realize this (it's the poem "Jabberwocky"), but the powers that be hinted I might want to hang on to the design for a near-future derby. I assume this is the one they were thinking of.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

[quote postid="5554393" user="lyonscc"]I subbed this as a daily, four days before Vorpal Sword was printed (GMTA). Glad I held onto it and have been too busy to shop it around elsewhere!

Thoughts?

I like the design colors on the brown shirt, but how does that palette look on the cranberry shirt? I'd rather wear cranberry, blue (even navy) or silver than the brown, slate/asphalt or black colors.
p.s. LOVE the dragon!

sonofafish

lyonscc wrote:I realize this (it's the poem "Jabberwocky"), but the powers that be hinted I might want to hang on to the design for a near-future derby. I assume this is the one they were thinking of.

Yes, I'm familiar with the poem. My point was that the recency of this printing may hurt your ability to get votes. If I had bought the Vorpal Sword shirt, I don't think I'd want another shirt with the same poem, unless I was a huge Lewis Carroll fan.

The design itself is good, but I think some of it is extremely difficult to read. It does look good, though.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Here's a cool idea... a Tar (wait for it) dis... no parody, no concept, just a Tardis

ChuckleNorris

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris

Oh, you're doing that too? I guess I'll have to just do a crow.

sonofafish

With pop culture being fair game, I wanna start a Tardis betting pool. Here are the rules:

1) You can't do a Tardis yourself.
2) Guess how many tardises will be subbed, to be counted on Monday at noon CST.
3) whoever is closest to the correct number gets a vote on their sub(s) from all other betting participants.
4) It's kind of on the honor system, and also kind of a joke, so you know, everyone be cool, this is for fun.

I'm guessing there will be 4, count 'em 4 tardises by monday.

mapinto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mapinto
sonofafish wrote:With pop culture being fair game, I wanna start a Tardis betting pool. Here are the rules:

1) You can't do a Tardis yourself.
2) Guess how many tardises will be subbed, to be counted on Monday at noon CST.
3) whoever is closest to the correct number gets a vote on their sub(s) from all other betting participants.
4) It's kind of on the honor system, and also kind of a joke, so you know, everyone be cool, this is for fun.

I'm guessing there will be 4, count 'em 4 tardises by monday.

My guess is 3!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
mapinto wrote:My guess is 3!

My guess is six, three will be mine, jk!

orabbit

Ok, I say 2. I think we'll have some duplicate guesses though...

tessderpervilles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tessderpervilles
mapinto wrote:My guess is 3!

*sigh*

wendy98765

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wendy98765

Can the next shirt derby be about time? Clocks, watches, etc...

EDIT: Sigh, no Tardises (Tardii?) though.

sonofafish

orabbit wrote:Ok, I say 2. I think we'll have some duplicate guesses though...

ok then,

5) if multiple people guess the correct number or the closest number, all of them get votes from all other betting participants, including each other.

6) If someone guesses 0 and is correct, I'll do a happy dance.

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
lyonscc wrote:I subbed this as a daily, four days before Vorpal Sword was printed (GMTA). Glad I held onto it and have been too busy to shop it around elsewhere!

Thoughts?

I really don't think it matters a bit whether the source poem has been printed recently. When I vote for a design, I don't check the catalogue for recent prints. Neither do most voters.

As far as the colors are concerned, I like the right hand three--especially the greens on slate and the fall colors on black.

...just my two cents.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

Question: Does it have to be a font, or can we do hand drawn type?

EwingKlipspringer

jessisima wrote:Question: Does it have to be a font, or can we do hand drawn type?

It can be hand drawn--absolutely!

EwingKlipspringer

So my big question is how much of the text has to be art?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Ewing', I believe all the art has to be made from text.

wakho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wakho
sonofafish wrote:ok then,

5) if multiple people guess the correct number or the closest number, all of them get votes from all other betting participants, including each other.

6) If someone guesses 0 and is correct, I'll do a happy dance.

I'll take 0 and would like my payment in youtube form ;)

millymarchese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages millymarchese
wakho wrote:I'll take 0 and would like my payment in youtube form ;)

Lol, I second that!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
EwingKlipspringer wrote:So my big question is how much of the text has to be art?

I am planning on submitting this, but I'm hoping that it doesn't get rejected for having too much text that is not artwork.

Thoughts, anyone, on this issue--or the design?

The Noose Bomb is my new nightmare death...

oakenspirit

Thoughts?

This is pretty cool and looks sharp but I can never get behind the Jabberwock simply being a dragon- I feel your pain on the timing thing though- has happened to me more than once...

oakenspirit

Re:Tardis

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Oh, these derbies are always fun.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

I haven't participated in a few weeks. This and the bonus derby might get me back in, though.

lyonscc

blk909 wrote:

I like the design colors on the brown shirt, but how does that palette look on the cranberry shirt? I'd rather wear cranberry, blue (even navy) or silver than the brown, slate/asphalt or black colors.
p.s. LOVE the dragon!

Thanks!

Here it is on Cranberry - this palette I like, but it tends to only look good on brown, cranberry, or (sometimes) black.

My favorite is probably the gradients one on black, though I also like the asphalt and this one that you suggested...

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

Wow - Love the cranberry, er, cranbury. Whatever, love it. You have it ready, don't be late submitting it! Thanks.

lyonscc wrote:Thanks!

Here it is on Cranberry - this palette I like, but it tends to only look good on brown, cranberry, or (sometimes) black.

My favorite is probably the gradients one on black, though I also like the asphalt and this one that you suggested...

jessisima

I came across this quote by Nikola Tesla and thought it would make a very awkward shirt:

“I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life.”
-Nikola Tesla

I decided to go with hand written text, and even though it is all very weird I hope someone might like it. Comments welcome.

orabbit

jessisima wrote:

I came across this quote by Nikola Tesla and thought it would make a very awkward shirt:

“I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life.”
-Nikola Tesla

I decided to go with hand written text, and even though it is all very weird I hope someone might like it. Comments welcome.

*stands up awkwardly*
I too loved a pigeon.
*runs away crying*

mega16bits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mega16bits

Small clarification question, please: "text" constitutes real words and onomatopoeia, correct?

"We're controlling the monsters from here!"
"REMOTE CONTROL?"

Current derby entry:

orabbit

I've got Sherlock on the brain. Which one should I go with? I probably shouldn't show how crummy my rough sketches are, but who cares?

Text on the magnifying glass is "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

rasabi

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rasabi

@orabbit: I'd definitely go with the magnifying lens. I think I've seen that quote used in a similar fashion, but I don't think it was on a lens...

@Jessisima: I was amused in a tragic sort of way. The only thing I would tweak is the apostrophe... seems a little cramped maybe?

lonelypond

quality posts: 462 Private Messages lonelypond

re: Jabberwocky bought Vorpal Sword version, would still vote for/buy different version...like the brown + cranberry

re: Tardis 8

may have to look into doing something with "The Hunting Of The Snark" since mood: Carroll doesn't seem a bad thing.

Merry Christmas shirtwoot!

jessisima

rasabi wrote:@orabbit: I'd definitely go with the magnifying lens. I think I've seen that quote used in a similar fashion, but I don't think it was on a lens...

@Jessisima: I was amused in a tragic sort of way. The only thing I would tweak is the apostrophe... seems a little cramped maybe?

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. There are a few changes I think I'm going to make after looking at it longer, and I appreciate your input. I think "amused in a tragic sort of way" is a perfect description of how I feel about it as well.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 26 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

If Fox in Socks http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/Fox-In-Socks.txt is not copyrighted (I did just succeed in googling it so... no?) then I would like to put out a bounty on that. (If you make a design and it wins, contact me, throw me a bone. :3)

I'm throwing this good idea into the wilds because Fable's gonna be busy this weekend, plus it's too soon for another fox shirt from her.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -