WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Dust off your gold-plated codpieces, sharpen your 7-foot claymores, and oil your physiologically impossible muscles: It's EPIC FANTASY time! 

OK, maybe those of us raised on the works of a certain Mr. Vallejo have a particular idea of what "Epic Fantasy" means, but we want to see your take. Ochopika picked the theme as part of her IRL Derby "winnings," so cast your aspersions and magic missiles in her direction. 

• No Lord of the Rings
  • No crème tees 
  • No Text 

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I could've swear this week was a Double-Take...

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
omarfeliciano wrote:I could've swear this week was a Double-Take...

You and me both.

Nothing follows.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
taternuggets wrote:You and me both.

No way, my friends. No way.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Well, we might see fantasy, but I don't know how anyone pulls off "Epic" fantasy without a crème blank.

Nothing follows.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

omarfeliciano wrote:I could've swear this week was a Double-Take...

It probably would be except for I'M THE BOSS. No break for you!

^.^

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero

Epic fantasy?i think i'll pass on this derby ;)))joking

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Wha, no HM? Post-pwnd?

ochopika

Staff

benjaminleebates wrote:Wha, no HM? Post-pwnd?

I'm sure it'll be next week.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
ochopika wrote:It probably would be except for I'M THE BOSS. No break for you!

^.^

I, for one, welcome our new cat-loving overlord.

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

I picked a fun time to come back. Sweetness.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
cdrewlow wrote:I, for one, welcome our new cat-loving overlord.

I'd like to remind her that as a trusted designer, I can be useful in rounding up others to toil in her overground catnip fields.

nomjy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nomjy

I want to submit for the first time but I'm a little confused. Sorry if this is a total first world problem question but... What's a crème tee?

omarfeliciano

nomjy wrote:I want to submit for the first time but I'm a little confused. Sorry if this is a total first world problem question but... What's a crème tee?

Creme, as in the color. You can use any other shirt blank, except for creme

ochopika

Staff

sonofafish wrote:I'd like to remind her that as a trusted designer, I can be useful in rounding up others to toil in her overground catnip fields.

I'll consider it. If you can provide me with fish, as your name (sort of) implies.

nomjy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nomjy
omarfeliciano wrote:Creme, as in the color. You can use any other shirt blank, except for creme

Thanks! Seems super obvious now. xD

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

For the benefit of other new competitors, 'no text' means nothing from a keyboard. No numbers, no &*%#.

No whining.

Ok, that last isn't really part of the no text rule, but a girl can hope.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

omarfeliciano

Mavyn wrote:For the benefit of other new competitors, 'no text' means nothing from a keyboard. No numbers, no &*%#.

No whining.

Ok, that last isn't really part of the no text rule, but a girl can hope.

I bet we'll still get a design with the One Ring and elvish embossed text...

benjaminleebates

Ironic...
An epic (from the Ancient Greek adjective ἐπικός (epikos), from ἔπος (epos) "word, story, poem"

And yet, no text! hmmm...
*shakes head and walks away*

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy

Dibs on Epic Fantasy Football. Swish!

benjaminleebates

JoysAreJummy wrote:Dibs on Epic Fantasy Football. Swish!

I hope your joking, been done to death, dealer...

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

So we are all cuted out? Right? I mean- epic fantasy and cute isn't going to happen- right?

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
oakenspirit wrote:So we are all cuted out? Right? I mean- epic fantasy and cute isn't going to happen- right?

Sorry cute tends to linger, it's hard to get it out of clothes. =/

ochopika

Staff

benjaminleebates wrote:Ironic...
An epic (from the Ancient Greek adjective ἐπικός (epikos), from ἔπος (epos) "word, story, poem"

Time for me to be a giant nerd. Epic fantasy is a genre within fantasy literature and "epic fantasy art" is crazy, fantastical art based on those kinds of fantasy stories. Most of the art on conceptart.org falls into this style.

benjaminleebates

ochopika wrote:Time for me to be a giant nerd. Epic fantasy is a genre within fantasy literature and "epic fantasy art" is crazy, fantastical art based on those kinds of fantasy stories. Most of the art on conceptart.org falls into this style.

I know, my favorite artist is Frank Frazetta! I just thought of blending the epic poem into the epic fantasy, like building a character with a poem, but then NO TEXT! *drops to knees, screaming to the Gods*

ochopika

Staff

benjaminleebates wrote:I know, my favorite artist is Frank Frazetta! I just thought of blending the epic poem into the epic fantasy, like building a character with a poem, but then NO TEXT! *drops to knees, screaming to the Gods*

Sweet!!!! Well, at least anyone who wasn't sure knows what it is now. :P
Yea, no text. You must paint! (or draw...whatever) I'm sure you can make one with foxes tho.

benjaminleebates

ochopika wrote:Sweet!!!! Well, at least anyone who wasn't sure knows what it is now. :P
Yea, no text. You must paint! (or draw...whatever) I'm sure you can make one with foxes tho.

^LOL... too funny.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

YAAAAAAAAY EPIC FANTASY!

SHARPEN THY INK QUILLS, LORDS AND LADIES AND PREPARE TO BATTLE ON THE ELECTRIC PARCHMENTS!

TO VICTORY OR DEATH!!!

*drains a tankard in anticipation*

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ste7enl

benjaminleebates wrote:Ironic...

It would be ironic if epic wasn't also an adjective that has been in wide use for a very long time. Always makes me chuckle "but, but, but the ancient Greeks said..."

benjaminleebates

ste7enl wrote:It would be ironic if epic wasn't also an adjective that has been in wide use for a very long time. Always makes me chuckle "but, but, but the ancient Greeks said..."

Do you think that the word as an adjective has nothing to do with it as a noun?
Nothing comes from nothing!
Just don't divide by zero.

ste7enl

benjaminleebates wrote:Do you think that the word as an adjective has nothing to do with it as a noun?

When in Rome.
The Grass is always greener.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

rwoodruff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwoodruff
benjaminleebates wrote:Do you think that the word as an adjective has nothing to do with it as a noun?

"Ten percent of nothing is—let me do the math here. Nothing into nothin'. Carry the nothin'..."

benjaminleebates

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...
Unless it's really kawaii, then it could be worth a grand.

sonofafish

ste7enl wrote:It would be ironic if epic wasn't also an adjective that has been in wide use for a very long time. Always makes me chuckle "but, but, but the ancient Greeks said..."

This is kind of a linguistic hotbutton issue. On the one hand you have the living vernacular, and on the other you have scholarly usage. I grudgingly have to side with the vernacular, but really, "epic" predates the Greeks.

drewniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewniak

Is this to include modern epic fantasy? because I found several lists of epic fantasies that have some modern stories on there (including movies and tv shows).

drewniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewniak

Also is the bible considered epic fantasy?

ste7enl

sonofafish wrote:This is kind of a linguistic hotbutton issue. On the one hand you have the living vernacular, and on the other you have scholarly usage. I grudgingly have to side with the vernacular, but really, "epic" predates the Greeks.

One does not preclude the other. A derby to create "an epic" is wholly different than a derby to create something "that is epic." One does not need to take sides on the matter because one use does not diminish the other. I was merely pointing out that it is not ironic unless the derby were the former example and not the latter.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
drewniak wrote:Also is the bible considered epic fantasy?

Woot walks a fine line around anything religious. Anything with JC is going to be rejected. The ark and noah, you might be okay, but know it's a game of chance based on the time of day, tides levels outside Cardiff, and the pocket change of 2 butterflies in Brazil.

ETA: I walk past the Frazetta's Costume shop most days. Yay!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sonofafish

ste7enl wrote:One does not preclude the other. A derby to create "an epic" is wholly different than a derby to create something "that is epic." One does not need to take sides on the matter because one use does not diminish the other. I was merely pointing out that it is not ironic unless the derby were the former example and not the latter.

I suppose the Epic of Gilgamesh is pretty epic in the "that's awesome, dude" sense. But yeah, to my understanding epic in the scholarly sense means a long poem, essentially. That's kind of tough, especially with no text allowed.

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy
benjaminleebates wrote:I hope your joking, been done to death, dealer...

Could you please provide three examples of shirts that have printed on Woot that have used this concept? Only then shall I consider your opinion valid.

Also, based on the countless Doctor Who, TMNT, and cat related shirts that have printed here, the term "done to death" doesn't really exist. Just sayin'