3%
3%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

I absolutely love this shirt. There is a nerd in all of us, and you should be able to relate to at least one of them on this shirt.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

lonelypond

quality posts: 459 Private Messages lonelypond

Nice but lacks edgy alt cool computer hacker of the FEMALE sort aka Claudia of Warehouse 13...

Like Poe? Of course you do, you're here ; ) Try my new mystery novel:

massha10

quality posts: 68 Private Messages massha10

What kind am I? Why, I am the Brain of course, just trying to take over the world!

massha10

lonelypond wrote:Nice but lacks edgy alt cool computer hacker of the FEMALE sort aka Claudia of Warehouse 13...

Yeah but a alt cool comp hacker is not a scientist...

beecroft

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beecroft

All men huh?
That's a little depressing.

kmbkmb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmbkmb
beecroft wrote:All men huh?
That's a little depressing.

Looking for the +1 button... looking... Must be off with the female science types.

lonelypond

quality posts: 459 Private Messages lonelypond
massha10 wrote:Yeah but a alt cool comp hacker is not a scientist...

didn't realize that job description included 'not a scientist ; )'

although to be fair Claudia isn't ... or maybe according to my New Oxford American she is: "a person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences.'

Like Poe? Of course you do, you're here ; ) Try my new mystery novel:

Allegro100

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Allegro100

If they had included at least one woman (Dana Scully? Helen Magnus? Beverly Crusher? Jane Foster? Temperance Brennan? Samantha Carter? Abby Sciuto? Allison Blake? Jadzia Dax?) I'd be all over this.

Alas.

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

What are you talking about, wouldn't it be fun...I am a scientist and it is fun. Sorta. Mostly. Heck yeah it's fun. I got to break glass on purpose today.

OK off that tangent. I'm an evil apprentice (grad student) working towards billionare genius. We can mix and match on this thing right?

1) The best people in your field would review every report, presentation, and project you created. Yep.
2) Your best work would not be recognized for years or decades after it was accomplished. Yep
3) None of your family or friends would be able to understand what, exactly, you do. Yes yes yeah oh heck yeah yes and yes.
4) If you made a mistake somewhere in your work, you might alter the course of human history. yeah don't remind me.
4) Your office would be filled with (lab) rats. yep.

I'm female. I say so what if all the characters depicted here are male. Pretend the figures are female (Women can have short hair cuts too, but probably not the beard). Or here's an idea: get over it and move on. I don't need a pretend sciency character matching my gender on a TV show/movie to know how awesome I am or give me a guide role model to emulate.

pumpkinsgrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pumpkinsgrin

Okay, who's the Dark Villain?

Socially Inept = Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Evil Apprentice = Billy / Dr. Horrible
Mad Inventor = Dr. Emmett Brown
Temperamental = Dr. Bruce Banner
Logic Obsessed = Mr. Spock
Dark Villain = ???
Neurotic Nerd = Professor Frink
Playboy Billionaire = Tony Stark / Ironman

Allegro100

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Allegro100
pumpkinsgrin wrote:Okay, who's the Dark Villain?

Dark Villain = ???

Walter White.

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

Dark Villain = ???

Reminds me of the character from Breaking Bad, but I don't know that show so I could be wrong.

pumpkinsgrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pumpkinsgrin
Allegro100 wrote:Walter White.

Ah, cool. Yeah, I'm probably one of the last people in the modern world to have not watched that. ><

Thanks.

lordbowen

quality posts: 305 Private Messages lordbowen

The mystery scientist in the middle is Sam Carter. The military haircut gives it away. Ok, everybody happy? There IS a female in the group.

theimmc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages theimmc
pumpkinsgrin wrote:Ah, cool. Yeah, I'm probably one of the last people in the modern world to have not watched that. ><

Me neither. But I typed "dark villain scientist goatee glasses hat" and amusingly I got his photo among the results on the first page. The one without a hat though.

DealMeIn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DealMeIn

Dark Villain = Professor Moriarty

michelleduran82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michelleduran82

But Dr. Horrible wasn't an apprentice! He was a villain trying to get into the ELOE. If he was an apprentice, he'd need an evil mentor. Other than that, nice shirt!

manhandsha

quality posts: 40 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Dr. Horrible is one of my faves!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

morachi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages morachi
Allegro100 wrote:If they had included at least one woman (Dana Scully? Helen Magnus? Beverly Crusher? Jane Foster? Temperance Brennan? Samantha Carter? Abby Sciuto? Allison Blake? Jadzia Dax?) I'd be all over this.

Alas.

Objectively, none of those really fit the bill of recognizable stereotypes. I'm all for equality and fairness but not to the extent of trying to squeeze someone in just to satisfy a quota.

wandernat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wandernat
morachi wrote:Objectively, none of those really fit the bill of recognizable stereotypes. I'm all for equality and fairness but not to the extent of trying to squeeze someone in just to satisfy a quota.

Talk about stereotypical.

mrknobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrknobs

Well, I'm an actual scientist and I can tell you that it's NOT the best minds that review your work, it's generally graduate students assigned to do so by their professors. The only time said professors actually read your so-called peer reviewed papers is when your findings are in some way threatening to THEIR work or profitability of some patent they hold. And even then they only read your conclusions and disparage them severely without even understanding your analysis.

Not that this job has made me cynical or anything!

nursenellie427

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nursenellie427

My son would love this. He is 3rd generation nerd. But, he is a boys 14/16 and I am not sure whether to go with the men's small or medium?

sarger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarger

Where is Batman? :D

krittikae

quality posts: 25 Private Messages krittikae

Next on Woot.TV, the most intelligent episode of The Brady Bunch, ever!

aquatsr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aquatsr
mrknobs wrote:Well, I'm an actual scientist and I can tell you that it's NOT the best minds that review your work, it's generally graduate students assigned to do so by their professors. The only time said professors actually read your so-called peer reviewed papers is when your findings are in some way threatening to THEIR work or profitability of some patent they hold. And even then they only read your conclusions and disparage them severely without even understanding your analysis.

+1 just for this. So true :|

cptgone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone

haha, great stuff, wirdou - but why did you label the Successful Entrepreneur a villain ;)

and i have to agree your selection is biased. why are there no cats on the wall?

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca
nursenellie427 wrote:My son would love this. He is 3rd generation nerd. But, he is a boys 14/16 and I am not sure whether to go with the men's small or medium?

i would go with at least a mens small and probably a medium would be better..especially if he plans to grow any in one of those mad growth spurts they have. my 5' 100 pd'er is graduating to a mens medium soon..

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain
lonelypond wrote:Nice but lacks edgy alt cool computer hacker of the FEMALE sort aka Claudia of Warehouse 13...
massha10 wrote:Yeah but a alt cool comp hacker is not a scientist...

You're both missing the completely obvious (and hawt) brilliant Abby Sciuto from NCIS. Full scientist cred. Also hawt.

I think I'll buy the shirt and put her picture over the '?'

acraigl

quality posts: 61 Private Messages acraigl

Love the shirt, but not the size of the graphic... too big for me. A 75% scale would have been just right.

Similarly, I found the 'Ironing Man' logo (http://shirt.woot.com/offers/ironing-man), which I liked too much to pass up, to be too large as well -- far larger than the 'actual' ironman one.

x2

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

^_____^ Thanks all who voted!:D I know there are so many pop-culture scientist that could be included, but in this case I chose my favorite and those I thought could be funnier ;)

Thanks again!:D

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

Dark Villain = ???

I thought the mad scientist was Doc Brown from Back to the Future.

caffeine_dude

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caffeine_dude
morachi wrote:Objectively, none of those really fit the bill of recognizable stereotypes. I'm all for equality and fairness but not to the extent of trying to squeeze someone in just to satisfy a quota.

I agree and would like to add, in TV and movies woman is a stereotype, which is too bad.

That said what about Abby the Goth Scientist?

Awesome shirt.

Please don't delete this post, I am trying, honest!

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365
acraigl wrote:Love the shirt, but not the size of the graphic... too big for me. A 75% scale would have been just right.

Similarly, I found the 'Ironing Man' logo (http://shirt.woot.com/offers/ironing-man), which I liked too much to pass up, to be too large as well -- far larger than the 'actual' ironman one.

Y'know I had one in my cart ready to buy and I saw this. Looked at the shirt again and realized that I agree. The graphic is just too large although I love the shirt. Maybe next time. Thanks!

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
hasopt wrote:I thought the mad scientist was Doc Brown from Back to the Future.

Dr. Emmett Brown = Doc Brown

theco2

quality posts: 89 Private Messages theco2

The Breaking Bad reference was one of the first things I noticed.

kathaclysm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathaclysm

My first thought as well. I work in a tech field, and am often the only woman in meetings surrounded by men; women and girls aren't made to feel it is "normal" to pursue science and tech fields. Just a few female roll models can make a world of difference.

Where is Sally Ride or Marie Curie? Though this shirt is all scientists from TV shows, so this is more of a reflection of TV culture. Maybe an Eleanor Arroway or Ellen Ripley or Chell.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Dr. Horrible = three episode musical, prominent pop culture icon.

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker = on TV since 1976, no love.

bwrites

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bwrites

I would've liked a girl on there, NGL. Bones would've been fun too, or Abby from NCIS. I guess those aren't geeky enough.

EDIT: Ripley would've been great too.

massha10

mrknobs wrote:Well, I'm an actual scientist and I can tell you that it's NOT the best minds that review your work, it's generally graduate students assigned to do so by their professors. The only time said professors actually read your so-called peer reviewed papers is when your findings are in some way threatening to THEIR work or profitability of some patent they hold. And even then they only read your conclusions and disparage them severely without even understanding your analysis.

Oh NO total nonsense. I review all the papers I am asked to review myself and would not even think of delegating that. It is our professional responsibility to review papers.While indeed on occasion, some of the reviews of my own work seem like the reviewer had no clue - most of the time, they have a point. if they do not understand what you are saying you did not put it clearly enough.
I was never asked to review manuscripts instead of profs as a grad student either - only as myself, the conference goer.
If profs at your school do that, they are being grossly unethical and need oustin'.