WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Thesis: The works of classic literature provide a rich cultural backbone from which graphic shirt designers can draw inspiration. 

Body Paragraph: From the story of Gilgamesh to the modern stylings of Ernest Hemingway et al, literature has been important. This is because literature helps people think about stuff they wouldn't otherwise think about. Indeed, without literature where would we be? 

Conclusion: Designers at Shirt.Woot should make jokes about Hamlet and Don Quixote and stuff this week because we all know the references and it will be funny and stuff. 

• Reference one or more works from the Top 100 list on Project Gutenburg (excluding the Kama Sutra and the Bible)
  • No modern pop culture references
  • No text-only designs

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Is Twilight considered classic literature...?

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

I was going to predict a bunch of LOTR entries, but it's not on the list (yeah!). Glad we'll see something else as classic literature.

Someone please do The Call of the Wild. Thanks!

07/11/14

sombrillo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sombrillo
caramelarrow wrote:I was going to predict a bunch of LOTR entries, but it's not on the list (yeah!). Glad we'll see something else as classic literature.

Wish Radscoolian could submit this one again: http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/53790/london-and-his-dogs?utm_campaign=Commission+Junction+-+10956019&utm_source=Commission+Junction+Publisher+-+6340762&utm_medium=affiliate+-+home.woot

bzbozo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzbozo

How does one reference The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes without referencing BBC's Sherlock?

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Missed opportunity.... woot should have mandated the Kama Sutra plus one other reference of our choice from the list.

Nothing follows.

sjaynedesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign

I'm excited for this one.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Now a serious question. Does the "No modern pop culture references" rule includes things like zombies, ninjas, police booths, etc?

Mattador315

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mattador315
omarfeliciano wrote:Now a serious question. Does the "No modern pop culture references" rule includes things like zombies, ninjas, police booths, etc?

I think they mean like TV shows and such…sooo yeah police booths would prolly be a bad idea

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
omarfeliciano wrote:Now a serious question. Does the "No modern pop culture references" rule includes things like zombies, ninjas, police booths, etc?

Travis posts this in the emoji thread, so at least poice boxes are out...

tgentry wrote:Psstt...

Want a sneak peek at the next derby?...

Derby #330: Classic Literature

Must reference one or more books from the Top 100 list of Project Gutenburg, excluding the Kama Sutra or The Bible.

No modern pop culture references (No Doctor Who, Mario, 50 Shades of Grey, etc.)

No text only designs

sjaynedesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign
caramelarrow wrote:I was going to predict a bunch of LOTR entries, but it's not on the list (yeah!). Glad we'll see something else as classic literature.

Ooh, I might take you up on that.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

I'm not an English lit major so I don't recognize all of the titles on this list. I'm curious to see what the artists can do with some of these:
28 The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman [on a yellow shirt no doubt]
38 Democracy and Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Education by John Dewey [do your homework]
43 Sunzi bing fa. English by active 6th century B.C. Sunzi [who/what??]
46 Nautical Charts by G. R. Putnam [see the sea]
50 The Postal System of the United States and the New York General Post Office by Thomas C. Jefferies [stamp it out]
77 A Concise Dictionary of Middle English by A. L. Mayhew and Walter W. Skeat [a Þ in my side]

And
96 The Romance of Lust by Anonymous [pixelated for PG-13 rule]

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Oh man, I can't wait to do something with Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus!

That one has zombies in it, right?

briancurtis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briancurtis
zekecatz wrote:I'm not an English lit major so I don't recognize all of the titles on this list. I'm curious to see what the artists can do with some of these:
28 The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman [on a yellow shirt no doubt]
38 Democracy and Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Education by John Dewey [do your homework]
43 Sunzi bing fa. English by active 6th century B.C. Sunzi [who/what??]
46 Nautical Charts by G. R. Putnam [see the sea]
50 The Postal System of the United States and the New York General Post Office by Thomas C. Jefferies [stamp it out]
77 A Concise Dictionary of Middle English by A. L. Mayhew and Walter W. Skeat [a Þ in my side]

And
96 The Romance of Lust by Anonymous [pixelated for PG-13 rule]

I'm sure you've heard of 43 Sunzi bing fa. English by active 6th century B.C. Sunzi by it's normal name: Art of War.

Jussslic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jussslic

This list is a bit limiting, isn't it? A million entries for Mark Twain, but no Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Orwell, Faulkner...

Are we strictly limited to the Gutenberg list?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
Jussslic wrote:This list is a bit limiting, isn't it? A million entries for Mark Twain, but no Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Orwell, Faulkner...

The Gutenberg list is public domain, the authors you listed are generally still copyrighted. I guessing that's why they said use the list.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 119 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Jussslic wrote:This list is a bit limiting, isn't it? A million entries for Mark Twain, but no Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Orwell, Faulkner...

Yep, I think the main reason for this is because they're all, fo' sho', in the public domain (and the most "well known" of the bunch).

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
bzbozo wrote:How does one reference The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes without referencing BBC's Sherlock?

The same way 30 bazillion people did before that show came out.

Jussslic

cdrewlow wrote:The Gutenberg list is public domain, the authors you listed are generally still copyrighted. I guessing that's why they said use the list.

Ahh yeah, didn't even think about that. Just seemed weird that they mentioned Hemingway in the prompt, but that he isn't actually allowed.

Not to mention, copyrighted stuff gets referenced here pretty much every week--if it's done cleverly (i.e. "The Binge" & "Baking Bread" in the top 20) it falls under fair use.

But yeah, I get why they used the Gutenberg list. Thanks for responding agingdragq!

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
briancurtis wrote:I'm sure you've heard of 43 Sunzi bing fa. English by active 6th century B.C. Sunzi by it's normal name: Art of War.

Thank you for the translation; I have heard of Art of War.

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

omarfeliciano wrote:Is Twilight considered classic literature...?

HA HAHAHAHA! You're a funny guy.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ste7enl

jungle book by StevenLefcourt, on Flickr

If you recognize the elephant (I doubt you will) it's from an unprinted design of mine

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Here are my guesses for the top 3 books represented by the next derby:
1- Beowulf
2- Moby halfback [word replacerator still working!]
3- Steam, it's generation and use

Okay, I'm taking a flyer on #3, but steamPUNK is pretty tempting.

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
zekecatz wrote:77 A Concise Dictionary of Middle English by A. L. Mayhew and Walter W. Skeat [a Þ in my side]

Hey, that's funny. You don't see many thorn jokes anymore...

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Feh, I have a mash-up literature idea and I'm procrastinating all over the place.

I'm mostly posting to shame myself.

Do the shirt, Diana. =/

ste7enl

Jungle Book by StevenLefcourt, on Flickr

made a bunch of little changes to tighten up the entire design and add a bit more detail

alohawoot1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alohawoot1

I'm happy to see that Project Gutenberg is given as the source for literature titles for this week's Derby. PG is near and dear to my heart.

I've been volunteering for Distributed Proofreaders for a while now (10 years this February)--and you can too!

Jussslic

Hey guys, here's what I've got for The Odyssey.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
ste7enl wrote:

made a bunch of little changes to tighten up the entire design and add a bit more detail

Ooooo, this is grrreat!

07/11/14

tadkins88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tadkins88

This is what i got any suggestions?

gregorschmid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregorschmid
tadkins88 wrote:This is what i got any suggestions?

[img]

black shirt color?

robbrewer13yahoocom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbrewer13yahoocom

Just happy to see "Encyclopedia of Needlework" place 24 above the bible.... : )

calbers76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calbers76
ste7enl wrote:

Looks awesome! Especially the tiger clawing its way out!

ste7enl

calbers76 wrote:Looks awesome! Especially the tiger clawing its way out!

Thanks!

ste7enl

caramelarrow wrote:Ooooo, this is grrreat!

I appreciate that, Tony. I've always been a big fan of your cereal. ;)

kpkelley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpkelley

I have a feeling that Fablefire will do one of Aesop's Fables involving foxes. My bet is on The Fox and the Grapes.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Wooo, I finished my design.

Didn't end up making it a mash-up it's pretty much straight Alice in Wonderland.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Thirdbase9

What no shirts with Mowgli working in a meat packing plant?

I don't know.

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

I think there are some really good designs this week.

And it's a pleasure to take a break from the onslaught of pop culture...

d0gb0ne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d0gb0ne

Any next derby sneak peaks? :p