0%
87%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

beecroft

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beecroft

Is anyone else annoyed at the apparently random placement?

acekoolus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acekoolus
beecroft wrote:Is anyone else annoyed at the apparently random placement?

They are placed in the order they became states.

srm8ib4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages srm8ib4
beecroft wrote:Is anyone else annoyed at the apparently random placement?

it's not random, it's based on the order of when they were founded.

nonetheless i'm still annoyed.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

Congratulations on the print! Love that it's on navy and the detail of the dates.

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10

Clever! That weird order made me look twice! And then I was all like - oh, it;'s the order of joining! So my brain went all cognitive dissonance and stuff.

dpr14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dpr14

Took me ages to find IL. Weird font.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

They wouldn't have fit together in their geographical placements. Might still want to have included AK and HI separately, as the Lanthanide and Actinide series are.

steveb944

quality posts: 10 Private Messages steveb944

This brings to mind the good old "50 Nifty United States". Now I can't get it out of my head.

BTW, awesome design. This surely can't be worn in K-12 American History classes.

allnsmithee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages allnsmithee

Thank you everyone!

In case you didn't read the Derby thread, I originally tried to make this fit geographically, but there were way too many states in the east and too few in the west to work that way.

As a bit of a history nut, though, I loved the idea of putting them in order of discovery, which is why included the date of entry into the union as part of their vital information.

Thank you again!

dacrete

quality posts: 123 Private Messages dacrete

I like how you added all the dates as well. ;)

midman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midman

FAIL! This could have been one hell of a cool shirt but whoever missed the boat on placement needs to be slapped! Could have been stellar! REDO!

midman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midman
midman wrote:FAIL! This could have been one hell of a cool shirt but whoever missed the boat on placement needs to be slapped! Could have been stellar! REDO!

Oh and I get the order that they are in, clever but... Ok, I'll shut up.

lordbowen

quality posts: 252 Private Messages lordbowen

Connect the dots/elements, anyone?

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

Well, California is on the real periodic table. Californium but it's Cf not Ca. This design is quite amusing. I like the use of dates in place of atomic weight.

spidergirl42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spidergirl42

This shirt is awesome and makes no sense at the same time.

The states are in order of being added to the country, yes!

but the way they are organized lends people to think they are superimposed over their location in the country, which is untrue.

You need some better grouping and periodicity for the arrangement, but still a fun idea!

YES!

darkmagician1184

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darkmagician1184
allnsmithee wrote:Thank you everyone!

In case you didn't read the Derby thread, I originally tried to make this fit geographically, but there were way too many states in the east and too few in the west to work that way.

As a bit of a history nut, though, I loved the idea of putting them in order of discovery, which is why included the date of entry into the union as part of their vital information.

Thank you again!

this would've worked better as just a periodic table spoof then, using the map as a format tool actually ruins it, sadly

sharktopus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharktopus

Some Wooters are just never satisfied. Very clever work, Mr Smithee.

Still... Alaska and Hawaii as actinides and lanthanides would have put this over the top.

aquatsr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aquatsr
darkmagician1184 wrote:this would've worked better as just a periodic table spoof then, using the map as a format tool actually ruins it, sadly

Not really. The fact that one has to do a double-take and think to 'get' the shirt is what makes it great. It's totally not what you'd expect.

I may have to pick this one up...

mick66

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mick66
spidergirl42 wrote:

but the way they are organized lends people to think they are superimposed over their location in the country, which is untrue.

You'd have to be completely uneducated to think that.

pimpdoubt

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pimpdoubt

Allnsmithee I know they wouldn't fit wll geographically, but maybe by size (as it is on the periodic table by atomic weight?) The way it is I just couldn't buy it :C

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig
dpr14 wrote:Took me ages to find IL.

Really?
I've been trying to escape IL for the last 52 yrs.
Now this shirt shows northeast IL in what I've always suspected...an empty void.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Cool idea, very wearable. Well done. :^)

Jonas4321

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Jonas4321
mick66 wrote:You'd have to be completely uneducated to think that.

Wow, snob much or just trolling?

I am not a fan of this shirt, sadly. I understand the need to be clever to quickly get the design, but I would not enjoy wearing this personally. A+ for effort and for pushing boundaries though.

No Advertisement Here
That's why I haven't made thousands of posts...

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 93 Private Messages Thirdbase9

West Virginia appears to be the closest to the correct geographical position, followed by Nevada.

I don't know.

amyys

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amyys

Ohio is now on the West Coast! Whoo Hoo!! But wait..why is it still only 32 degrees outside?

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

I bet this shirt sells less than yesterday's shirt. Come on woot, you basically sold 3 identical shirts. If I bought Friday's shirt, I wouldn't buy the Sat or Sun shirt because they're too similar.

There were some very cool individual state shirts and other designs that would have probably sold better...IMO

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

I like puzzles. I like America.

I'm thinking of buying this T-shirt so I can flex my muscles as people stare at the puzzle trying to solve it.

hardrockinmofo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hardrockinmofo

No "Colorado Puffs" shirt? I call shenanigans!!

truemarsheyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truemarsheyes

I think you have to be a little smarter than average and capable of understanding and enjoying/processing more than one thing at a time to get it. Don't listen to the complaints. It is great. Each time you understand one piece another question opens up.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
hardrockinmofo wrote:No "Colorado Puffs" shirt? I call shenanigans!!

Agree!

kanedag1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kanedag1

I guess my biggest problem is that the real periodic table is arranged by atomic number, not when the elements were discovered. Ordering the states by area or population it would be better in order to match the reasoning of the actual chart.
Cool idea, and I like the shirt, but being more of a scientist than a history guy ruins it for me anyway.

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
kanedag1 wrote:I guess my biggest problem is that the real periodic table is arranged by atomic number, not when the elements were discovered. Ordering the states by area or population it would be better in order to match the reasoning of the actual chart.
Cool idea, and I like the shirt, but being more of a scientist than a history guy ruins it for me anyway.

I'm not sure this is a huge problem. What would be really cool is if this periodic shirt were used to predict which parts of the world are still to be incorporated into the United States, in exactly the way that the PT predicted elements that hadn't even been discovered yet... Where's Puerto Rico? Guam? Mexico? Canada? Europe? China? the Moon?

Or are we done?

hXcpunkchick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hXcpunkchick

This shirt makes this US History teacher's heart very happy. I lovelovelove the dates entered where the atomic mass would be.

sboardr22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sboardr22

Darn, the ONE problem that kills this design is that the format of the date should have been YYYY.MM.DD

On the periodic table, as the atomic number increases, atomic weight also increases.

Putting the date in the aforementioned way would make it hold true for this design.

bindsocket

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bindsocket
Thirdbase9 wrote:West Virginia appears to be the closest to the correct geographical position, followed by Nevada.

And as a West Virginian it took me quite a while to notice that the rest of them are not where they're supposed to be.

Gherald

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gherald

I don't think it would have been hard to keep something like this exact same shape and put the states in approximate relative geographic order to each other.

Would've been much better IMO

rickreyes01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickreyes01

This is a cool shirt, but I'd really love a poster.

grosas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grosas

This shirt is just plain stupid. So, the states are ordered by data of inclusion into the union. Is the artist under the impression this is how the Periodic Table of Elements works? It also doesn't work from a geographic perspective! This could have been such a cool shirt if a little more thought was put into it.

allnsmithee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages allnsmithee
Gherald wrote:I don't think it would have been hard to keep something like this exact same shape and put the states in approximate relative geographic order to each other.

FTR, this didn't work at all because the bunching of states in New England and the East Coast end up forcing all of the midwest states into the Rocky Mountains.

grosas wrote:This shirt is just plain stupid. So, the states are ordered by data of inclusion into the union. Is the artist under the impression this is how the Periodic Table of Elements works? It also doesn't work from a geographic perspective! This could have been such a cool shirt if a little more thought was put into it.

I have a Chemistry minor, and I understand how a periodic table works. Unfortunately, there is nothing similar to "Atomic Number" to order states by. I looked at ordering them alphabetically (which was too simple and not all that geeky). I looked at trying to place them geographically, but that doesn't work at all. I thought of doing it by population, but that is constantly changing.

I also tried creating an Lanthanide Series and Actinide Series, but that also looked a little squirrely (though I toyed with using it for US territories).

So yes, quite a bit of thought was put into the design, and where I landed fit the best, IMO, aesthetically and from a geek's perspective.

Sorry you didn't like it.