WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're looking for designs that celebrate boldness and bravery. Maybe it's a character facing his or her greatest fears, a slogan that champions the courage to follow your dreams, or a tee with such visual gusto that only a truly bold designer would DARE submit it to the Derby.

Your chutzpah pays off with special derby prizes:

1st Place: $1000 + Wacom CINTIQ Wacom Cintiq 13HD Interactive Pen Display and Spectrum 20: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
2nd Place: $1000 + Wacom CINTIQ Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch Medium Tablet and Spectrum 20: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
3rd Place: $1000 + Spectrum 20: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art

Plus ten random Derby voters will get something crappy!

Rules: No creme tees

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

This is the big one! I'm sure the competition will be fierce. I'm busily drawing but I have a couple ready to go.

My attempt at the most efficient red shirt joke:

And this take on the famous photo of the defiant guy stopping tanks in Tiananmen Square (it's the 25th anniversary next month):

Woot artists, to battle! :^)

::goes back to the drawing board::

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I am working on this idea. Not sure which design is better... Tips welcome.

benjaminleebates

Spiritgreen wrote:This is the big one! I'm sure the competition will be fierce. I'm busily drawing but I have a couple ready to go.

And this take on the famous photo of the defiant guy stopping tanks in Tiananmen Square (it's the 25th anniversary next month):

Didn't you do the cat tank in another derby? Or do I have crazy deja vu?

Spiritgreen

benjaminleebates wrote:Didn't you do the cat tank in another derby? Or do I have crazy deja vu?

Top fortune cookie! Fewer colors FTW.

I posted a rough sketch of the cat/mouse idea in a pre-derby thread a while ago but didn't finish & enter it.

benjaminleebates

Spiritgreen wrote:Top fortune cookie! Fewer colors FTW.

I posted a rough sketch of the cat/mouse idea in a pre-derby thread a while ago but didn't finish & enter it.

Thanks for the tip! Okay that makes sense! I thought I had seen that b4! Like your style.

benjaminleebates

Just one more little tweak.
I think this is what I am going with unless I get a brilliant tip, or an epiphany...

I may add a distressed pattern, but I am not sure...

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

Of ancient jewels and dungeon adventurers.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
Spiritgreen wrote:This is the big one! I'm sure the competition will be fierce. I'm busily drawing but I have a couple ready to go.

You already know I'm voting on the Mouse but that Trek one is too perfect- :D

oakenspirit

benjaminleebates wrote:Just one more little tweak.
I think this is what I am going with unless I get a brilliant tip, or an epiphany...

I may add a distressed pattern, but I am not sure...

If his headband is the FORTUNE, I wonder if having a piece of the message could add to the fun- Like BORN TO ... or some such thing...

Really cool man-

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:

Of ancient jewels and dungeon adventurers.

That's really slick man- I am having a hard time telling what the thing coming out of the ruppee is in the top right- but I love the rough look and concept!

benjaminleebates

Exactyl! I thought the same, I may need to work with that tonight. When I first tried it, I used some type. It stood out like a sore thumb. Maybe if I had hand drawn it, it would relate better...

"Born to" is good. Should I make it relate to soldier? to fortune? to rambo? to cookie? hmm.

oakenspirit

benjaminleebates wrote:Exactyl! I thought the same, I may need to work with that tonight. When I first tried it, I used some type. It stood out like a sore thumb. Maybe if I had hand drawn it, it would relate better...

"Born to" is good. Should I make it relate to soldier? to fortune? to rambo? to cookie? hmm.

BAKED TO DIE! ;)

ste7enl

oakenspirit wrote:That's really slick man- I am having a hard time telling what the thing coming out of the ruppee is in the top right- but I love the rough look and concept!

What thing coming out in the top right?

oakenspirit

Here's one I worked up-

Can't decide if I prefer the retroy muted grey look or the contrasty navy- also- should I add hints of stars in the background?

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:What thing coming out in the top right?

Its likely not a thing- Just kind of looks like a spike or sword coming out of the ruppee- I am seeing it more as a crack now, but the squarish hole gives it more depth- ...and yeah- top right was super vague- sorry

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
oakenspirit wrote:Here's one I worked up-

Can't decide if I prefer the retroy muted grey look or the contrasty navy- also- should I add hints of stars in the background?

That's really nice, OS. I prefer the navy - yes, with some stars. Also, you may try to redo his hitch-hand, it looks a little off. Too big? Twisted too much? Nice work.

PS Love the fortune cookie.

Votes appreciated.

benjaminleebates

oakenspirit wrote:BAKED TO DIE! ;)

NOICE! Crunchiest Nightmare?

ajw567

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajw567

Here is my design, less about bravery, more based on bold colors/ high contrast graphical elements.(The concept was also about standing out from the crowd and being unique/bold)
I still cant decide on the shirt color: light yellow, or white.
let me know what you think.

chunkcherry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkcherry

I claim this one:

oakenspirit

marceepauff wrote:That's really nice, OS. I prefer the navy - yes, with some stars. Also, you may try to redo his hitch-hand, it looks a little off. Too big? Twisted too much? Nice work.

PS Love the fortune cookie.

duly noted- ;) tweaking now-

benjaminleebates

Okay, so here is my latest. I will play with the fortune tonight.
Whatha think? Distressed a YES or NO?

ste7enl

oakenspirit wrote:Its likely not a thing- Just kind of looks like a spike or sword coming out of the ruppee- I am seeing it more as a crack now, but the squarish hole gives it more depth- ...and yeah- top right was super vague- sorry

Ah, I see. I suppose I could fill in some bits there.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
benjaminleebates wrote:Okay, so here is my latest. I will play with the fortune tonight.
Whatha think? Distressed a YES or NO?

Ben, I personally like it without the distressing. Looks great!

Votes appreciated.

benjaminleebates

marceepauff wrote:Ben, I personally like it without the distressing. Looks great!

THANKS! One of my coworkers also felt the same way. I am removing that and then planning to play with fortune phrases...
But, I'll need to keep it simple. I don't want to create a focal point that freezes the rest of the design...

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
ajw567 wrote:Here is my design, less about bravery, more based on bold colors/ high contrast graphical elements.(The concept was also about standing out from the crowd and being unique/bold)
I still cant decide on the shirt color: light yellow, or white.
let me know what you think.

I dig the yellow!

ajw567

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajw567
anemality wrote:I dig the yellow!

Thanks, I was leaning that way and just got indecisive I think.

oakenspirit

marceepauff wrote:Ben, I personally like it without the distressing. Looks great!

agreed

oakenspirit

anemality wrote:I dig the yellow!

agreed- looks sharp ace-

swimmernq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmernq

Been a while since I've submitted but here is what I've got:
Shoot the Moon by swimmernq, on Flickr

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

Here's mine. There's nothing particularly original about a cat and a fish, but I was kind of inspired by Moby ...Richard... (thanks, censors!) for the composition and gave myself a nice hand cramp in the process of coloring it. You have to be willing to brave the storm to land the big one. :B

oakenspirit

anemality wrote:Here's mine. There's nothing particularly original about a cat and a fish, but I was kind of inspired by Moby ...Richard... (thanks, censors!) for the composition and gave myself a nice hand cramp in the process of coloring it. You have to be willing to brave the storm to land the big one. :B

I'm sorry about the cramp but I'm glad it happened- Just lovely!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 24 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

I just want to say sorry in advance to everyone and to 'blame me'. :P I really love the Foxy Five, and I came up with a fun idea for the quintet.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

EchoSeven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EchoSeven

Re: "Plus ten random Derby voters will get something crappy!"

Do my odds of winning increase if I vote for every design? I hope not... don't want to overwork my mouse finger.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

I have at least two shirts but I'm struggling on the second one's color so here's the fun one me and my friend Mike came up with. BEE BOLD!

This is the one that I like on 6 different colors.

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

I did a little Shakespeare reference this week. I think this is good as I can get this design. Tried to get the concept right all week.

Spiritgreen

Rich pickings already guys. :D This is going to be an awesome derby. (I look forward to being crushed like a bug)

I'm plugging away at my most complicated idea. Not sure if it'll come together but I'm burning the midnight oil trying.

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach
DianaSprinkle wrote:I have at least two shirts but I'm struggling on the second one's color so here's the fun one me and my friend Mike came up with. BEE BOLD!

This is the one that I like on 6 different colors.

So simple. I like it.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

How does one work on a shirt design all week? I thought the them was announced on Thursdays at noon? Did something change?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
cherylfrancis wrote:How does one work on a shirt design all week? I thought the them was announced on Thursdays at noon? Did something change?

sometimes, esp. weeks when a double-take derby takes place, the great and powerful wizards of woot deign to announce the theme for the following derby a week early. in this case, the theme was announced in the first post of the double take derby thread.