WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're looking for designs that mess with perspective. Maybe they bend it, maybe they foreshorten it, maybe they Escher it, or they DESTROY IT ENTIRELY! Or maybe you just wanna make a design that's like a first-person video game. We don't care, as long as the perspective is funk-ay to the max.

• No creme tees
  • No Doctor Who

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

Fun! This will be difficult.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

A priori

move along

sonofafish

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish
Enedlhach wrote:Fun! This will be difficult.

Difficult. This will be fun!

swimmernq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmernq

hmm... not feeling too inspired on this one. I'm expecting fablefire to win with foxes playing hide and seek on Escher style stairs

leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

I have several ideas. Which I can actually pull off and which ones are actually appealing to tshirt wearers is the challenge to figure out!

Enedlhach

Is there a rule against using half-toned textures? I only ask because they are pictures, but it seems like artists sometimes make use of them.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

Will I be rejected if I do one representing a different outlook (perspective) on something? This is not necessarily the art school version of perspective.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cherylfrancis wrote:Will I be rejected if I do one representing a different outlook (perspective) on something? This is not necessarily the art school version of perspective.

We're looking more for the art school perspective on this one. Otherwise we'll get a bunch of oddball characters who are "different" and that's not really what we're shooting for on this one.

cherylfrancis

tgentry wrote:We're looking more for the art school perspective on this one. Otherwise we'll get a bunch of oddball characters who are "different" and that's not really what we're shooting for on this one.

Alrighty! Thank you.

leslieh01

Not sure that worked. If it did, what do you think?

It didn't work? Go here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152394076247225&set=a.330931277224.146675.634247224&type=1&theater

Enedlhach

After laboring for hours trying to get something artistic to work and failing, I came up with this. I think it fits the theme!

sonofafish

Enedlhach wrote:After laboring for hours trying to get something artistic to work and failing, I came up with this. I think it fits the theme!

they'll reject that, i guarantee it. remove the M from his hat and your chances are much better of not being rejected. Nicely drawn, btw.

Enedlhach

sonofafish wrote:they'll reject that, i guarantee it. remove the M from his hat and your chances are much better of not being rejected. Nicely drawn, btw.

I think it is a clear enough parody though. But probably a good call on the m, I was already debating whether to put it in.

leslieh01

Let's try this again. Whadaya think?

sonofafish

Enedlhach wrote:I think it is a clear enough parody though. But probably a good call on the m, I was already debating whether to put it in.

Well, do what you will, but I've seen people sub with the M, get rejected, resub without it and that one sticks. Just saying this isn't a guess, it's based on stuff I've seen.

[MOD EDIT] I liked the pic, but that 's' word, can't have it here. Sorry.

sonofafish

sonofafish wrote:Well, do what you will, but I've seen people sub with the M, get rejected, resub without it and that one sticks. Just saying this isn't a guess, it's based on stuff I've seen.

[MOD EDIT] I liked the pic, but that 's' word, can't have it here. Sorry.

No worries, I got lost in the moment!

manhandsha

quality posts: 31 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

sonofafish wrote:No worries, I got lost in the moment!

It's all good. Like I said, I enjoyed it.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

cherylfrancis

sonofafish wrote:they'll reject that, i guarantee it. remove the M from his hat and your chances are much better of not being rejected. Nicely drawn, btw.

umm...I asked earlier in the thread whether or not this approach would get rejected. I was told they REALLY are looking for perspective drawings. Yikes! I don't know.

cherylfrancis

cherylfrancis wrote:umm...I asked earlier in the thread whether or not this approach would get rejected. I was told they REALLY are looking for perspective drawings. Yikes! I don't know.

Think I replied to the wrong comment. This is maddening!!

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
cherylfrancis wrote:Think I replied to the wrong comment. This is maddening!!

the rejectiontor is hard to
Forsee. They almost always will reject Mario with the m on the hat. And you also have to wonder if it will get rejected for not being on topic. It might come down to their definition of perspective.

Enedlhach

toby8915 wrote:the rejectiontor is hard to
Forsee. They almost always will reject Mario with the m on the hat. And you also have to wonder if it will get rejected for not being on topic. It might come down to their definition of perspective.

The joke in my design I think is on topic because it is references a change from 2d to 3d. This enables Mario to go around the pipes that he previously had to jump over. If the joke isn't clear, than it probably could get labeled off-topic. Either way I enjoyed making it.

Heck, Walmazan got away with a Star Wars reference the other week when there was a rule against it.

jakewashere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakewashere

Can't wait to make perspective my beyatch.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

I've been saving this for the right derby. Do you guys think this fits the theme? I'm worried about getting lost in the flood of pop culture, but I haven't seen a 'no pop-culture' rule in a while. Any one remember the last time?

oakenspirit

quality posts: 71 Private Messages oakenspirit
orabbit wrote:I've been saving this for the right derby. Do you guys think this fits the theme? I'm worried about getting lost in the flood of pop culture, but I haven't seen a 'no pop-culture' rule in a while. Any one remember the last time?

Dude- that is phenomenal- and you have wild perspective with the turtles getting infinitely smaller- SO, yeah, it fits the theme, and that's without mentioning the other interpretations of perspective that could apply.

...still want a teapot floating in it but that is likely just me-

Sub it so I can buy it-

kellabell9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellabell9

Hi Wooters.... i have 2 versions of a design I'm working on. Which do you prefer? I'd love your opinion. Stomach or Heart?

orabbit

kellabell9 wrote:Hi Wooters.... i have 2 versions of a design I'm working on. Which do you prefer? I'd love your opinion. Stomach or Heart?

I would like the second one with a splash of color like the red in the first one. But either way you go, you should consider breaking up the edges so it's not so boxy. Just remove a bunch of puzzle pieces to give it a nice flow.

/2 cents

orabbit

oakenspirit wrote:Dude- that is phenomenal- and you have wild perspective with the turtles getting infinitely smaller- SO, yeah, it fits the theme, and that's without mentioning the other interpretations of perspective that could apply.

...still want a teapot floating in it but that is likely just me-

Sub it so I can buy it-

Thanks man, I guess I'll give it a go. It's a collab with Cu3ik.

leslieh01

kellabell9 wrote:Hi Wooters.... i have 2 versions of a design I'm working on. Which do you prefer? I'd love your opinion. Stomach or Heart?

I agree with Orabbit on the coloring of the second one and the edges. But I like the heart better. IMHO.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

I don't see the stomach.
The whole does need a splash of red, so I like the first... or the second if you redden it like the first.
I also wondered if you wanted to draw puzzle marks and remove some puzzle pieces from one of the children...because they are part of the puzzle, too... for a different perspective inside a perspective? Does that make sense?

ajw567

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajw567

My weekly skill practice.... I mean submission. Just imagine a strange universe where President/ vampire hunter Lincoln did not have small wooden logs named after him. Perhaps, even imagine these so called Lincoln logs do not exist...Duh duh duh. In this distorted reality along comes a simple man, an artist, named M.C. Escher. Although this man has ben blessed with somewhat charming facial hair, he struggles throughout life, until, one day he stumbles across an idea; an idea for a children's toy oh so perplexing... without further ado ESCHER LOGS....

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

Enedlhach wrote:The joke in my design I think is on topic because it is references a change from 2d to 3d. This enables Mario to go around the pipes that he previously had to jump over. If the joke isn't clear, than it probably could get labeled off-topic. Either way I enjoyed making it.

Heck, Walmazan got away with a Star Wars reference the other week when there was a rule against it.

I wondered about the blue and red glasses, and then realized he was doing 3D... is he looking at 3D and seeing it as 2D or am I just too tired to figure it out?
I don't know the Mario franchise and the pipes. (Am I the only artist here who doesn't know that?)

kellabell9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellabell9
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:I don't see the stomach.
The whole does need a splash of red, so I like the first... or the second if you redden it like the first.
I also wondered if you wanted to draw puzzle marks and remove some puzzle pieces from one of the children...because they are part of the puzzle, too... for a different perspective inside a perspective? Does that make sense?

*BOOM* Mind blown

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

orabbit wrote:I've been saving this for the right derby. Do you guys think this fits the theme? I'm worried about getting lost in the flood of pop culture, but I haven't seen a 'no pop-culture' rule in a while. Any one remember the last time?

This is about the idea that the world is flat and is balanced on the back of a giant tortoise... and what holds that up? Why, another tortoise, of course!
That's a reference to mythology. (See "Turtles all the way down" in Wikipedia.) But I don't see that as pop culture.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

ajw567 wrote:My weekly skill practice.... I mean submission. Just imagine a strange universe where President/ vampire hunter Lincoln did not have small wooden logs named after him. Perhaps, even imagine these so called Lincoln logs do not exist...Duh duh duh. In this distorted reality along comes a simple man, an artist, named M.C. Escher. Although this man has ben blessed with somewhat charming facial hair, he struggles throughout life, until, one day he stumbles across an idea; an idea for a children's toy oh so perplexing... without further ado ESCHER LOGS....

I'm not seeing the Escher effect in the logs. Maybe the illustration is too small? It would be larger in the finished shirt, but it needs to be more obvious on a small computer screen.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

leslieh01 wrote:Let's try this again. Whadaya think?

A good start, clearly Escher... I just think something could be done with the dogs... except for showing one behind the twisted thingy, the dogs don't change in any engaging way.
Don't suppose you could make them gradually turn inside out without being grotesque?

leslieh01

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:A good start, clearly Escher... I just think something could be done with the dogs... except for showing one behind the twisted thingy, the dogs don't change in any engaging way.
Don't suppose you could make them gradually turn inside out without being grotesque?

Haha. I'm not sure I can do that yet. But here is another attempt. I have it on black and cranberry shirts too. What do you think?!

orabbit

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:This is about the idea that the world is flat and is balanced on the back of a giant tortoise... and what holds that up? Why, another tortoise, of course!
That's a reference to mythology. (See "Turtles all the way down" in Wikipedia.) But I don't see that as pop culture.

I meant that sometimes it's hard to rise above the waves of pop-culture, and that this design might get pushed down the rankings by Zelda/Star Wars/Heisenberg/TMNT.

tbolt86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tbolt86

Thoughts/Comments?

It is inspired by Escher's "Another World"...