WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

July 4th is on its way, so we wanted to celebrate with a super-patriotic, USA! USA! USA! Americana-themed derby. Give us your best designs that say America, the 3 winning designs will be printed ON AMERICAN APPAREL BLANKS! And what's more, if we receive more than 1776 voters total, all Derby shirts will sell for $10. 

SPECIAL PATRIOTIC PAYMENT STRUCTURE:

• 1st Place – $1776 (duh)
  • 2nd Place – $1492 (Chris C'bus)
  • 3rd Place – Circa $1000 (Vikings establish settlements in what is now L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland, Canada...maybe. But seriously, we'll pay you $1000.)

Some other notes:

• No creme tees
  • The other big change we hinted at last week... is getting pushed back a bit. Sorry, we're still working out the kinks.
  • We'll be reaching out to Honorable Mention worthy designs in this derby to put together a patriotic plus sale on 6/23 (sorry, those won't be on American Apparel).
  • Speaking of Honorable Mentions, you prolly noticed we haven't had those in a bit. Well, that's related to point #2 here. OOOOOH SECRETS SECRETS SECRETS!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Cool. AA shirts woohoo!

So that would be 1776 total votes? Like add up all the votes for all the shirts?

leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

Excited abt this one!!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Big derby change pushed back? Wootbot, you're such a tease.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
thatrobert wrote:Cool. AA shirts woohoo!

So that would be 1776 total votes? Like add up all the votes for all the shirts?

Hoping it's not 1776 unique voters...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Mavyn wrote:Hoping it's not 1776 unique voters...

Maybe it has to be. If I voted for every shirt, that'd be a pretty good chunk of 1776 right there.

Mavyn

thatrobert wrote:Maybe it has to be. If I voted for every shirt, that'd be a pretty good chunk of 1776 right there.

I'm not sure how many unique votes there are for any given derby. I'm guessing it's usually less than 1000. This kind of invites voter fraud.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:Cool. AA shirts woohoo!

That should read voters I believe.

tgentry

Staff

Mavyn wrote:Hoping it's not 1776 unique voters...

The average since Feb is, oddly, 1492. No kidding.

sonofafish

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish

Well, my prediction was wrong. I'm kinda bummed about the honorable mentions, but if i have to keep waiting...

tgentry

Staff

Sorry the big derby change got delayed, guys. We were busting butt to get all of the ducks lined up but there ended up a few more details that had to be cinched up. It's coming...

Mavyn

tgentry wrote:The average since Feb is, oddly, 1492. No kidding.

That's pretty cool. :D I admit I'm surprised, I didn't think there was that level of activity. So, good to see.

amugle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amugle

Sure it's a bummer about the delay, but I'm still pretty excited for this one! I've got a few ideas that I've been putting together all week.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Mavyn wrote:That's pretty cool. :D I admit I'm surprised, I didn't think there was that level of activity. So, good to see.

i don't have any reference for comparison, so i can't tell if this is good or bad. what was the average in 2007? 2010?

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
tgentry wrote:Sorry the big derby change got delayed, guys. We were busting butt to get all of the ducks lined up but there ended up a few more details that had to be cinched up. It's coming...

Will you announce it if it's ready before next derby time?

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got. Can you read the hidden message?

I guess it's more of a word than a message.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got. Can you read the hidden message?

I guess it's more of a word than a message.

That's really sharp man! Has a great iconic look while still being totally wearable.

EDIT- I really dig the olive but can;t help but wonder if it will be better received on another color-

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
oakenspirit wrote:That's really sharp man! Has a great iconic look while still being totally wearable.

EDIT- I really dig the olive but can;t help but wonder if it will be better received on another color-

Thanks! It's the eternal struggle with me. I can't decide. It may even work on black.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I started working on an American Pie design this week. I have some other ideas in the works, but I'd love to hear what people think of this one so far...

amanoxford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amanoxford
ApeLad wrote:Thanks! It's the eternal struggle with me. I can't decide. It may even work on black.

Surely it's gotta be on red, white, or blue! ☺

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Since I have these three days off in a row, I plan to toss at least one design into the ring. hopefully two (though I don't have the second thought out).

I'm really interested in the new ideas for the derby. I can't wait to see what woot has in store!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Still very curious about the big changes! :^) You've laid on a great derby in the meantime though. I'm out of commission and won't be entering but by golly, I'll be votin' and spreading the word.

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

Hammered it out this week. Gotta to get ready to watch the World Cup!

It's very similar to another shirt I designed. But people seemed to like that one so I will try give it another try with this style.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
Enedlhach wrote:Hammered it out this week. Gotta to get ready to watch the World Cup!

It's very similar to another shirt I designed. But people seemed to like that one so I will try give it another try with this style.

The legs look a little weird to me; maybe if you made the wings bigger?

sonofafish

Spiritgreen wrote:Still very curious about the big changes! :^) You've laid on a great derby in the meantime though. I'm out of commission and won't be entering but by golly, I'll be votin' and spreading the word.

same for me, but I'm hoping the Superman to my Clark Kent, Wakho, will have something special for you guys tomorrow. Good luck, everyone!

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos

i'm going on vaccay. i had an idea for a shirt but i don't think i'll have time so i'll be skipping this one.

good luck to all and happy 4th!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit

Super excited about this derby! (and about the DELAYED secret HM update!)

I made two this week-
First I redid (from the ground up) my old American Fantasy Map- I am so much happier with this new version- the last one lost by 3 votes so hopefully this time it will stick! eyes voters... ;)

Also made an AMERICA CREST- Thinking of calling it HOUSE AMERICA-

Any thoughts would be rad!

leslieh01

Which color should I use? Also, feedback about design would be greatly appreciated! Another version I made had a snake skin mask on the snake. I could add that if anyone wants. It kinda messed up the blue of the snake.

It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway haha, this design looks good on white too. Just didn't post it.

leslieh01

I like these ideas. It may just be me but does the eagle's head kinda look like a skin turkey rather than an eagle? I like traditional eagle looks. Might be too busy tho. I DO like the idea of an American coat of arms tho!

oakenspirit wrote:Super excited about this derby! (and about the DELAYED secret HM update!)

I made two this week-
First I redid (from the ground up) my old American Fantasy Map- I am so much happier with this new version- the last one lost by 3 votes so hopefully this time it will stick! eyes voters... ;)

leslieh01

What about just one slice of pie? The plate kinda throws me off for some reason. But I LOVE the idea of the pie having the Flag in it. Cool.

jessisima wrote:I started working on an American Pie design this week. I have some other ideas in the works, but I'd love to hear what people think of this one so far...

leslieh01

I agree. Neat but on another color shirt.

oakenspirit wrote:That's really sharp man! Has a great iconic look while still being totally wearable.

sonofafish

oakenspirit wrote:Super excited about this derby! (and about the DELAYED secret HM update!)

I made two this week-
[snip]
[snip]

both look good! I'd make the eagle's neck a little thicker, though. the head could use a little work too, it kind looks like the skull isn't there behind / to the right of the eye. other than that, looks like you're done!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
jessisima wrote:I started working on an American Pie design this week. I have some other ideas in the works, but I'd love to hear what people think of this one so far...

I'm imagining that I'm in class with other students, talking about a good design...
That's a place where a slice was cut out of the whole, does it mean anything different if you show the slice (with flag), not the pie?
Would it help to have a bit of shadow at the bottom of the pie, or where the slice was removed?
The single blueberries are good, what about a fork or pie spatula?
How realistic or how symbolic should this go?
Now I'm hungry.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
leslieh01 wrote:

Which color should I use? Also, feedback about design would be greatly appreciated! Another version I made had a snake skin mask on the snake. I could add that if anyone wants. It kinda messed up the blue of the snake.

It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway haha, this design looks good on white too. Just didn't post it.

altho the gadsden flag has a proud place in 'merican history, with the recent use of the gadsen flag by the tea party folks and by the shooters in las vegas, it mite be a little bit more controversial than is usually seen in a derby entry.

leslieh01

Here's an eagle on white. Looks way better on the white. Feedback please!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

I made two this week-

Like them both artistically but both need more contrast. One is medium brown with blue lines on a dark brown tee, the other is medium blue on a dark blue tee.
The crest is usually used for royalty, not typically associated with the colonies that broke away.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

leslieh01 wrote:

Here's an eagle on white. Looks way better on the white. Feedback please!

Ooooh!
Love the textured stripes, now I want textured stars, too.

sonofafish

leslieh01 wrote:

I liked it better with the scales on the snake, but I'm glad you fixed the text. I like it best on Baby blue.

as far as the tea party, I didn't mention that earlier because they kind of appropriated that symbol, but they do not own it.

Even so, maybe it'll lose you some votes, but I have to think we have some conservatives here too, no? (please, let's not start a political argument, I'm just giving a fellow artist some feedback, that is all).

leslieh01

How about this one?

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
marceepauff wrote:The legs look a little weird to me; maybe if you made the wings bigger?

I agree... or maybe it doesn't even need the legs?