Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
tjost wrote:Oh! Mr. Goodbar! I'm slow on the uptake, I just realized this drawing is me getting stabbed Awesome!! That's hilarious, maybe I'll color it up and use it for my backgound Thanks rads ;)

That's the most positive response the subject of an effigial murder has ever given me. They usually just press charges.
Use it however you see fit.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
sonofafish wrote:that's your prerogative, but I think this site works best when we vote for designs, not artists. Honestly, I wish subs could be anonymous.

It was tried, and didn't work. Too many artists share their work on other media or have instantly recognizable styles.

I vote for shirts I'd buy. There are some artists I will never support; there are no artists I will always support.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sonofafish

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sonofafish
Mavyn wrote:It was tried, and didn't work. Too many artists share their work on other media or have instantly recognizable styles.

I vote for shirts I'd buy. There are some artists I will never support; there are no artists I will always support.

I mean, how hard did they try? you can ban personal identification in the comps.
Now, having a recognizable style is a different, because you can't make a rule to stop that, and more importantly it's great if your aesthetic is clear and consistent; the point is people are voting for your style at that point because it rocks, and not for you because you're a swell guy.

Anyway, I know it's wishful thinking, but as long as I'm at it, it'd be interesting if the "id' want one" button was actually a pre-order system if that shirt wins, thus also allowing people who have never bought to vote. That'd shake things up!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
sonofafish wrote:I mean, how hard did they try? you can ban personal identification in the comps.
Now, having a recognizable style is a different, because you can't make a rule to stop that, and more importantly it's great if your aesthetic is clear and consistent; the point is people are voting for your style at that point because it rocks, and not for you because you're a swell guy.

Anyway, I know it's wishful thinking, but as long as I'm at it, it'd be interesting if the "id' want one" button was actually a pre-order system if that shirt wins, thus also allowing people who have never bought to vote. That'd shake things up!

How would woot stop people from posting their work on Facebook?

And going to a pre-order system would result in even LOWER voter turnout. That would really suck.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sonofafish

Mavyn wrote:How would woot stop people from posting their work on Facebook?

And going to a pre-order system would result in even LOWER voter turnout. That would really suck.

Point being a lot of voters are not doing as you (or I) do, namely voting for things they do want to buy.

But I'm not convinced per-ordering would be a bad thing. It would mean drastic change, certainly. But when you sales figures are declining, isn't drastic change the thing you want?

fablefire

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fablefire
Caddywompus wrote:The shadowy piranha plant figures was a nice touch in the background. Very woot, good luck.

Thanks much! :D

msj11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msj11
Re: Tatooine Trail

Mos Eisley is the proper spelling

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
sonofafish wrote:Point being a lot of voters are not doing as you (or I) do, namely voting for things they do want to buy.

But I'm not convinced per-ordering would be a bad thing. It would mean drastic change, certainly. But when you sales figures are declining, isn't drastic change the thing you want?

I think the community needs to do a better job helping new artists. I think people should vote on the designs they like and not the artist. And I think a lot of good artists have left because everyone votes on the same hand-full of artists to win week after week so they know they will never have a chance here. I would suggest that Woot choose the winners but lately their editor's pick has been the poorest selling shirt of the weekend.

You have to ask yourself why are the votes declining and why are the sales declining? Because the Derby is the same old designs, same old artists week after week. Some originality would help. Why would I buy some obscure Mario-style shirt from Woot when I can go to Walmart and buy 10 different Mario shirts with the actual "M" and "Mario" on it? Bottomline, this place needs new blood, a breath of fresh air.

sonofafish

tomspc wrote:I think the community needs to do a better job helping new artists. I think people should vote on the designs they like and not the artist. And I think a lot of good artists have left because everyone votes on the same hand-full of artists to win week after week so they know they will never have a chance here. I would suggest that Woot choose the winners but lately their editor's pick has been the poorest selling shirt of the weekend.

You have to ask yourself why are the votes declining and why are the sales declining? Because the Derby is the same old designs, same old artists week after week. Some originality would help. Why would I buy some obscure Mario-style shirt from Woot when I can go to Walmart and buy 10 different Mario shirts with the actual "M" and "Mario" on it? Bottomline, this place needs new blood, a breath of fresh air.

As much as I agree with the sentiment, and as much as I'd love to be that new blood, I don't think it's the community's job. Theirs is to vote as they will, nothing more. It's woot staff's job to make sure it stays fun, fresh, and profitable.

Part of the problem, if you'll bear with the conclusions of a new derbier, is that they're delegating too much responsibility to the customers. To paraphrase Steve Jobs, it's not the customers' job to know what they want. Yet by serving 3/7 shirts per week as voted in by a public who may or may not buy the very designs they voted for, that responsibility is being shunted of to them. Woot does this at their peril, and I'm afraid they may be aware, but simply don't have any better ideas.

jluffner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jluffner
Re: My Evil Neighbor

I agree. This deserves way more votes.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Twin Snakes

Fantastic!

eehad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eehad
Re: 9-UP

that's an awesome idea!
more votes!!

eehad

sooo true..

eehad

Re: Real Life Achievement

great idea! we need more IRL achievements (with sound effects!)

beribimba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beribimba
tjost wrote:So you either stole this or if you did create it you already sold it elsewhere. Please read the rules.

https://www.riptapparel.com/graveyard/mega-iron-man/

Seriously, if it was sold for 24 hours a year ago, Woot won't sell it? I honestly didn't know that. But no, I didn't steal it; I sold it on Ript.

felixity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages felixity
Re: Certified Pre-Owned Pirate Ships

I'm so sad this didn't place. I really wanted this one.

felixity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages felixity
tomspc wrote:I think the community needs to do a better job helping new artists. I think people should vote on the designs they like and not the artist. And I think a lot of good artists have left because everyone votes on the same hand-full of artists to win week after week so they know they will never have a chance here. I would suggest that Woot choose the winners but lately their editor's pick has been the poorest selling shirt of the weekend.

So true. I actually used to participate a few years ago and decided to come back and try again. Back then, there were only 3 people who ever won consistently--and by such a landslide due to their personal fanbase there was really no point at all for anyone else to submit. Looks to me like THOSE particular people are gone... but I guess I'll find out who the new ones are. Sadly, contests where it's an open vote will always go in favor of those with the most fans, and not necessarily the 'best design'. Coming back, I'm actually pretty surprised at the low count of votes for even the winners--back when, even the top 10 would get a good solid ~150 each. Is woot dying?

Well, whatever the case is, I'll be here to contribute new work when the theme strikes me. But I couldn't agree more with this post.

ncowick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncowick
eehad wrote:that's an awesome idea!
more votes!!

Thanks! I appreciate it

thegambler311

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thegambler311

Artists used to be a lot more talkative. But as time rolled on, their comments (no matter how nice) became fodder for attacks against them.

Reminds me of the Indie music scene. Everyone roots for you and cheers you on and loves that you're a participant, but once you find success, you're reviled and all those same people turn against you.

albertoarni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages albertoarni
felixity wrote:So true. I actually used to participate a few years ago and decided to come back and try again. Back then, there were only 3 people who ever won consistently--and by such a landslide due to their personal fanbase there was really no point at all for anyone else to submit. Looks to me like THOSE particular people are gone... but I guess I'll find out who the new ones are. Sadly, contests where it's an open vote will always go in favor of those with the most fans, and not necessarily the 'best design'. Coming back, I'm actually pretty surprised at the low count of votes for even the winners--back when, even the top 10 would get a good solid ~150 each. Is woot dying?

Well, whatever the case is, I'll be here to contribute new work when the theme strikes me. But I couldn't agree more with this post.

You got a great gallery on DA felix. Liked it :D

therainbowlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therainbowlady

Trinda M Berlin

therainbowlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therainbowlady
This is seriously the best shirt i've come across on this site- best concept Epic Pocket Monsters

Trinda M Berlin

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Head Start

Thanks a lot for all the support on this everyone!

rootofcheese

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootofcheese
sonofafish wrote:Very cute idea. What software did you use to make it?

Thank you. I actually came up with this critter a while ago and wrote about it here: http://rootofcheese.com/tag/pikaboo/

I used GIMP for the main design, and found myself using a Pixelmator trial to make the shirt comp. You could say that I'm between apps right now...

dacrete

quality posts: 87 Private Messages dacrete

So when do they say which design won?

nvm

CVBrennan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVBrennan
Re: Mushroom Eater

LMAO

DoctorHoliday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DoctorHoliday
Re: Incoming!

This is great! Props for staying away from lime-lit games and going with a classic. Maybe one day shirt-woot voters will have a more refined taste as they once did.

littlebear89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlebear89
Re: Doctor Warrior

I want one.

tomspc

tjost wrote:So you either stole this or if you did create it you already sold it elsewhere. Please read the rules.

https://www.riptapparel.com/graveyard/mega-iron-man/

When I used the word "stolen" about a design, oh how I was attacked. I see no one defending these artists that you have accused. It just goes to show that there are favorites in here that get a pass when they clearly break the rules. I was told that it was "a strong word", "serious accusation", "tattle and move on", etc etc etc. Where are you people now who couldn't wait to blast me for calling out one of your beloved artists? Do these artists not deserve your support? Exactly what I always thought, they're not worthy. Thanks community for being the upstanding people I always thought you were. SMH

tomspc

felixity wrote:So true. I actually used to participate a few years ago and decided to come back and try again. Back then, there were only 3 people who ever won consistently--and by such a landslide due to their personal fanbase there was really no point at all for anyone else to submit. Looks to me like THOSE particular people are gone... but I guess I'll find out who the new ones are. Sadly, contests where it's an open vote will always go in favor of those with the most fans, and not necessarily the 'best design'. Coming back, I'm actually pretty surprised at the low count of votes for even the winners--back when, even the top 10 would get a good solid ~150 each. Is woot dying?

This weeks winning shirt had a 170 votes, probably the lowest I remember. Wake up Woot, the writing is on the wall.

captainobrienbeard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainobrienbeard
ochopika wrote:Thank you so much and thanks as well, threeattic!

Your shirt design was beautiful. I wish you would have won, this is the first shirt I would buy on Woot since last November. If this ever gets printed I'll definitely buy one.

captainobrienbeard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainobrienbeard
Re: (L)inked

Excellent design, personally I'd change the placement to the lower left corner of the shirt though.

supertorsoboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supertorsoboy
captainobrienbeard wrote:Your shirt design was beautiful. I wish you would have won, this is the first shirt I would buy on Woot since last November. If this ever gets printed I'll definitely buy one.

Seriously, how can we get this shirt??

imrealsleepy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imrealsleepy
Re: 99 problems konami code

what?! how did this one not win!? bummer...

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie
Re: Megaman Solid

i like

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
supertorsoboy wrote:Seriously, how can we get this shirt??

Vote for it in the next Double Take Derby. It just got an honorable mention.

alynsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alynsen

admiralsnackbar7797

quality posts: 0 Private Messages admiralsnackbar7797

I want this shirt so badly. Please?

MEMANIA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MEMANIA

How did this... what? NO! Man...

thejenandonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejenandonly
captainobrienbeard wrote:Your shirt design was beautiful. I wish you would have won, this is the first shirt I would buy on Woot since last November. If this ever gets printed I'll definitely buy one.

I second that! I haven't bought a Woot! shirt in a long time, and who ever does Myst designs? Awesome choice and beautiful work!