Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
gossamerica wrote:Under the optimistic assumption that anybody will still be checking this forum, here they are, Mr. and Mrs. Gossamerica's pumpkin.woot! 2010. I had these designed last year but never got around to carving them. (I have one other shirt that I selected last year, but haven't converted to a pumpkin design yet, but that will have to wait another year.)

Without further ado:

Candy Corn Cannibalism by goldfishinapicklejar

This shirt still cracks me up (even though I hate candy corn)! Sadly, most people couldn't figure out that my little guys were candy corn (needed a third color, probably should have left the top solid with an outline), but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Those eyes were murder!

Panda Polo by duneboo

Okay, this isn't really a Halloween design, but I thought it was hilarious and needed to be pumpkinized. Most casual viewers could figure out the panda, but few caught the polo. That's what I get for choosing obscure subject matter, I guess.

If you enjoyed those, take a look at my photo album to see all of our pumpkins. New designs this year include How to Train Your Dragon, Magical Trevor 4, and a tribute to Scouting. And you can see everything else I've done over the years.

I already have a slew of ideas for next year -- but after all of that peeling, I'm hoping to come up with more designs that just require cutting! Enjoy!

zohmygoodness your pumpkins are crazy good. o_o *is jealous* I love love LOVE the Train Your Dragon ones! Especially the Monstrous Nightmare. And your spiderman! And Zero! And and and and... *nerdgasm* xD

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Draug

Hey peeps!

It's soon that time again when I go a little crazy for pumpkins! Granted, the crop is supposed to be worse this year than last given Mother Nature's recent bad moods, but here are a few designs from the past year (since Hallowoot 2010) that I'm thinking about doing for fun. None of these are guaranteed. I won't be making any profit off of them either--all of that goes to the artists. :D

Nyctophobia. I'd love to recreate the glow of the bulb.

Modern Elephants. Playing with the open spaces in the elephants will be fun.

The Tea Shirt. A pretty, simple design which is good because I usually try to conserve pumpkins by carving more than one design on them.

New, from Entropy Records. If I do this one, it will probably be shaved. Might be a neat design, or it could turn into a mess lol We'll see.

Fresh Cake. Can. Not. Resist. I think I'll alternate shading and rind with the cupcake and cupcake cup but I'll carve out the sprinkles so they GLOW. lol

Be sure to add your own pumpkins as they come along! (woot inspired or not). Let's keep this thread fresh-ish for October before it sinks into the forum oblivion for another year. xD

I think I'll go dust off my pumpkin carving tools now. Ciao!

Draug

Okay photobucket is kinda being a jerkface with me right now so you'll have to click the links, sorry. ): Or you could go to my DA page to view these and others (link below).

Alright, first two of four shirt.woot inspired designs are done!

(Due to time restrictions and other things, I won't be doing New, from Entropy Records. )

First up is Nyctophobia. The filament almost lasted! It broke when I was cleaning the pumpkin. ):

Nyctophobia unlit

Nyctophobia lit

Next, on the same pumpkin, we have The Tea Shirt. The shaving came out a little uneven, but I'm happy with it. :D

The Tea Shirt unlit

The Tea Shirt lit

I hope you enjoy them! You can check out these and more at My DeviantArt page. I'll be posting more as the month goes along. ^_^

gossamerica

quality posts: 19 Private Messages gossamerica

Draug, your Nyctophobia pumpkin was awesome! The original design was so great, and you captured it really well. Bravo! (Maybe you could have replaced the broken filament with some wire, you know, for "authenticity"?)

I thought that the "Tee Shirt" design was pretty meh, but you did a great job, and I'm impressed with the fine detail. Holy crap, that's a lot of peeling!

I prepared patterns from two shirt.woot designs -- but didn't get to carve them (sigh). But I did recreate a couple of old favorites in foam pumpkins to immortalize them. I'll try to get photos up soon, hopefully tomorrow.

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

What kind of tools are you guys using to do the shaving? I've been trying to get a good sheen with my peeler, but it doesn't really work.

bluejester

I ran out of time to really do a woot shirt design, so I just went with "In the style of."

The one on the left with the little pumpkin on top is in the style of Spiritgreen's Haunted Housework, the one on the far right side is done Walmazan style. The middle one is one that my wife did up.

I did up an Oogie Boogie design for a contest at work, but don't have pics of it yet.

gossamerica

bluejester wrote:What kind of tools are you guys using to do the shaving? I've been trying to get a good sheen with my peeler, but it doesn't really work.

First, I'll use an exacto knife to outline where I'm peeling. Then I use some cheap clay-sculpting tools I got at a craft store.
Most of the time, I use a V-shaped wedge for the initial peel, and then one with a thinner blade (with a rounded tip) to increase the depth. I'm told that there's a loop-shaped tool that's really good, but I don't have one.

My peeled areas generally aren't as massive as on Draug's (Tee Shirt) or megsck's (Nosferatu). On the previous page of comments, they mentioned running a little water over it after peeling, then drying gently.

gossamerica

After last Halloween, we got a bunch of foam pumpkins on clearance, so that was most of our carving this year. For some reason, the large foam pumpkins got quickly designated for immortalizing some older designs, so the two new shirt.woot patterns I came up with didn't get carved this year. Maybe next year...

Carving in foam is quite a different experience. It's much faster when you don't have to empty out the pumpkin guts, and it's nice to be able to leave the pattern on during carving (it won't get soaked with pumpkin guts). The dremel makes things so fast, especially on the peeling! Yeah, powder gets everywhere, and you can't use candles (I need to design a light system for next year), but you get a permanent display for future years.

I did learn one big lesson, though: I didn't "peel" far enough in my carving, and they weren't bright enough. I was way too scared of going all the way through. I'll have to touch them up later. The photos you'll see had to have the contrast cranked way up to get them to show well. But overall, it was great.

When we carve real pumpkins, we usually carve 2-3 sides per pumpkin. Planning ahead for future display of large numbers of foam pumpkins, we decided only to carve one side of each. That also meant that we didn't have one design showing through the other. But it meant we did fewer designs than we could have. Fortunately, two of the foam pumpkins were re-creations of former carvings. Click any picture to see larger:

Grim Optimism by ramyb

The squirrel looks much better than last time (very large pumpkin, enlarged the squirrel, and just peeled instead of cutting).

Pumpkin and Ghost by Shigwarm

Also better than last time, with more detail. Though now that I've looked at the shirt design again, I see more fine detail I could have added...

Though most of the foam pumpkins ("funkins") were recreations of old designs, there were a few odd-shaped funkins that required new designs. We also had a few small pumpkins and a watermelon from our garden that we carved. Take a look at my photo album to see all of our photos from this year and previous years. Enjoy!

Now to go out looking for foam pumpkins on clearance.... Look forward to new shirt.woot-inspired pumpkins next year.

gossamerica

Hmmm, will anybody actually notice this...?

As promised last year, I have two new shirt.woot designs, now permanently etched into foam pumpkins ... plus an unplanned, extra, "wet" design.

Haunted Scarecrow by patrickspen

The first time I saw this shirt, I thought it would make an awesome pumpkin. I screwed up on the face (have to figure out how to patch a foam pumpkin), but otherwise, I think it turned out pretty well.

Nuclear Winter by Ste7en

Awhile ago, I had the idea of doing a mushroom cloud. Then I saw this shirt, and decided that it could easily fit the Halloween theme (instead of the snow theme). The only problem is that the design is too wide for a really good photo ;-)

Fresh Cake by walmazan

My wife told me I was in charge of the baby's pumpkin this year (since I didn't get myself a real pumpkin). Hmmm, what to do?

We call her "Baby Cakes", and she really loves getting her diaper changed (saying "naked baby" in a silly voice always gets a big smile). So this shirt came to mind. To be honest, I never really cared much for the design (naked cupcake? I don't get it), but it made a great pumpkin.

As always, I invited you to take a look at my photo album to see all of our pumpkin designs through the years. I haven't uploaded all of this year's new pictures yet (it's late, and I at least wanted to get these ones up to share, in case anybody would notice), but I'll try to get them up soon.

EDIT: All of my photos are now up. I also changed the links and thumbnails in this post to better photos.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gossamerica wrote:Hmmm, will anybody actually notice this...?

As promised last year, I have two new shirt.woot designs, now permanently etched into foam pumpkins ... plus an unplanned, extra, "wet" design.

Haunted Scarecrow by patrickspen

The first time I saw this shirt, I thought it would make an awesome pumpkin. I screwed up on the face (have to figure out how to patch a foam pumpkin), but otherwise, I think it turned out pretty well.

Nuclear Winter by Ste7en

Awhile ago, I had the idea of doing a mushroom cloud. Then I saw this shirt, and decided that it could easily fit the Halloween theme (instead of the snow theme). The only problem is that the design is too wide for a really good photo ;-)

Fresh Cake by walmazan

My wife told me I was in charge of the baby's pumpkin this year (since I didn't get myself a real pumpkin). Hmmm, what to do?

We call her "Baby Cakes", and she really loves getting her diaper changed (saying "naked baby" in a silly voice always gets a big smile). So this shirt came to mind. To be honest, I never really cared much for the design (naked cupcake? I don't get it), but it made a great pumpkin.

As always, I invited you to take a look at my photo album to see all of our pumpkin designs through the years. I haven't uploaded all of this year's new pictures yet (it's late, and I at least wanted to get these ones up to share, in case anybody would notice), but I'll try to get them up soon.

Those are awesome! I passed this on to the shirt staff as well. Thanks for checking back in!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gossamerica wrote:Hmmm, will anybody actually notice this...?
[snip]

holy crap. those are fantastic, gossamerica!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

bluejester

Is there a woot carving contest going on at all? I swear I saw one not too long ago, but I can't find the thread. That, or I am mixing this up with something else. Either way, I have a very woot-ish pumpkin on the way tonight....

bluejester

Okay, I tried my best to copy the creepiest woot thing I know

gossamerica

bluejester wrote:Okay, I tried my best to copy the creepiest woot thing I know

Man, that's the scariest thing I've seen all night! Great 'kin, bluejester!

bluejester

gossamerica wrote:Man, that's the scariest thing I've seen all night! Great 'kin, bluejester!

You think that's creepy, I had to use this:

as a reference as I was carving. Gives me the heebie jeebies...

gossamerica

Anybody else carving pumpkins this year? Or am I the only one who still find great pumpkin inspiration on these shirts?

Carry On, Carrion by paxdomino

Hmmm, a bit hard to interpret, perhaps?

Take a look at this year's new pumpkins and my photo album for the older designs (including the other woot shirt designs shown elsewhere in this thread).

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
gossamerica wrote:... Carry On, Carrion by paxdomino

Hmmm, a bit hard to interpret, perhaps? ...

Not at all. Indeed, the meta of it all makes it even cooler!

Take a look at this year's new pumpkins and my photo album for the older designs (including the other woot shirt designs shown elsewhere in this thread).

Just requoting this because it needs to be seen more.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

The pumpkin isn't wooty, but the shirt is. :-D

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

bluejester wrote:Okay, I tried my best to copy the creepiest woot thing I know

Sooo gooooooood! I love this.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

gossamerica

bluetuba wrote:The pumpkin isn't wooty, but the shirt is. :-D

I love the mask, but don't think I'd love wearing it! Probably heavy and very messy!

bluetuba

gossamerica wrote:I love the mask, but don't think I'd love wearing it! Probably heavy and very messy!

I hollowed it out pretty well to fit my fat head inside, but I have long hair and got plenty of pumpkin guts and seeds in it still.

I also got a cold immediately afterwards, so pumpkin-head at your own risk!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

gossamerica

Sorry, no woot shirt pumpkins from me this year. Anybody else?

bluetuba

I carved a pumpkin and stuck it on my head again this year. Also wearing a woot shirt again.