aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
nicebleed wrote:How about this one guys! A smaller moon! What you think?

Definitely better, though perhaps if the moon was moved up and to the right just a little bit since things still seem a bit squished together. Sorry to be so picky! The design is so wonderful.

amroyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo
noxandpy wrote:Here's one of the entries Nox and I are working on. Still some work to be done, but we're liking where it's going.

I want this so bad I can't put it into words. I haven't even seen the finished product and I still want it.

ccazabon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon
nicebleed wrote:How about this one guys! A smaller moon! What you think?

I like it, the only thing that pops out to me, is that the stern of the boat is where the shadow is cast, but it is also really bright as if a light is shining directly on it. in fact it's the only really bright spot on the boat

edit: quoted the wrong thing b4.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I think we're going to see some really nice ones come out of this derby.

amroyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo
ccazabon wrote:I like it, the only thing that pops out to me, is that the stern of the boat is where the shadow is cast, but it is also really bright as if a light is shining directly on it. in fact it's the only really bright spot on the boat

edit: quoted the wrong thing b4.

That's all I can see now.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tgentry wrote:I think we're going to see some really nice ones come out of this derby.

Yeah, if only they would win.

move along

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

"Sometimes I forget other people exist" or other suitable (short) titles!

chaoswerecat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaoswerecat
nicebleed wrote:Hope you like this one!

dont listen to the others: I love the big moon!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
midgerock wrote:thanks for the feedback.
this should look better.

Indeed it does. Definitely got my vote.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Wow! So much awesomeness! I don't think I even stand a chance..or am going to try this derby. Who knows...maybe inspiration will strike yet. But, there are already so many awesome ideas. Oh well.

supermegatopia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermegatopia

When you gotta go, you gotta go!

Gotta Go

nicebleed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicebleed

thanks everyone for the suggestions! I really do appreciate them all! good luck to all the entries! ;)

kickmekate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kickmekate

How long does this last? Or do they usually last, rather.

twiztidrogue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twiztidrogue

I can't wait to see a Sword Of Truth one! Or I'm willing to work with someone on a design! I can't make one but I have ideas!!!

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
kickmekate wrote:How long does this last? Or do they usually last, rather.

Derby Schedule

Thursday at noon: Derby theme is announced
following Friday at noon: Derby opens for submissions and voting
following Wednesday at noon: submissions close
following Thursday at noon: voting closes, winner announced
following Friday at 12:00:01 AM: winning design for sale on Shirt.Woot

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

UST

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UST

Seems I am the only one thrown by the lack of punctuation in the instructions. Am I weird? I read it, "No text, only designs," but apparently 'twas meant, "No text-only designs."

Not that I'm designing. Just puzzled that everyone else sorted that out but me.

Information gladly given but safety requires avoiding unnecessary conversation.

colinlepper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages colinlepper

so i noticed when you submit a derby entry it doesnt ask you to email the print-ready file to derby@woot.com anymore? Anyone know if the process has changed?

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
colinlepper wrote:so i noticed when you submit a derby entry it doesnt ask you to email the print-ready file to derby@woot.com anymore? Anyone know if the process has changed?

Colin, I was wondering the same thing. Can staff clarify?

loulousq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq

I'm a 1st time poster and can't figure out how to half tone! Any one have any tips? I have looked up tutorials but am still clueless...

joneyalone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joneyalone

can I be the first to say I NEED someone to design a plot-in-a-single-scene shirt for catch-22 or slaughterhouse 5? maybe with a helpful "you are here" notation? pretty please? :-D

thecitizenziro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecitizenziro

i dunno guys... seems like the theme wasn't really necessary. I know I'm new and all but i've never tried art contests before and it just seems like the theme got shelved.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers at all.

ladybugb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb
thecitizenziro wrote:i dunno guys... seems like the theme wasn't really necessary. I know I'm new and all but i've never tried art contests before and it just seems like the theme got shelved.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers at all.

I agree actually. I understand there's usually SOME deviation from the theme, but this derby is o.O on the adherence to theme level.

As an avid reader who DOES frequently get lost in books, I was excited about the theme...but somehow this derby turned into "illustrate scenes from specific books" or "illustrate something remotely reading related" instead of focusing on the ACT of getting lost in a book.

There are a couple of great entries on theme, but they seem to be muscled out by the ones that are much further from the intended theme.

bounty42

UST wrote:Seems I am the only one thrown by the lack of punctuation in the instructions. Am I weird? I read it, "No text, only designs," but apparently 'twas meant, "No text-only designs."

Not that I'm designing. Just puzzled that everyone else sorted that out but me.

No text only designs. You must have a graphical element.

Looks pretty obvious to me, but then, I tend not to need to assume, commas that aren't there.

EDIT: Looks like they laid off the Rejectionator.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
orabbit wrote:Colin, I was wondering the same thing. Can staff clarify?

Yes, print ready files are still to be sent to derby@woot.com. Granted I'm not staff, but I figured I'd help out anyway

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
bounty42 wrote:Looks pretty obvious to me, but then, I tend not to need to assume, commas that aren't there.

EDIT: Looks like they laid off the Rejectionator.

Looks like they had to rehire him or her, as they've suddenly axed two of the fogged entries (among others).

orabbit

tjschaeffer wrote:Looks like they had to rehire him or her, as they've suddenly axed two of the fogged entries (among others).

Yeah, those were probably going to print too.

j5

tjschaeffer wrote:Looks like they had to rehire him or her, as they've suddenly axed two of the fogged entries (among others).

Not enough, IMO, but then again, outside of sending a message/gentle correction (e.g. off topic) no chance to print == no bother. That's my theory anyway. Rejectionators have day jobs, you know.

move along

ladybugb

j5 wrote:Not enough, IMO, but then again, outside of sending a message/gentle correction (e.g. off topic) no chance to print == no bother. That's my theory anyway. Rejectionators have day jobs, you know.

Sometimes I wonder what's worse - no rejectionating at all, or inconsistent rejecting. Mario's out, but Bowser/dismembered Mario is okay? Reject SOME off topics, but even close to all of them (including highly voted ones)? I'm...confused...which is not usual around here... :P

colinlepper

ladybugb wrote:Sometimes I wonder what's worse - no rejectionating at all, or inconsistent rejecting. Mario's out, but Bowser/dismembered Mario is okay? Reject SOME off topics, but even close to all of them (including highly voted ones)? I'm...confused...which is not usual around here... :P

Got to say it feels pretty unfair to find out a designs rejected halfway through the derby... now even if I revised it it's kinda too little too late, makes me sad.

ladybugb

colinlepper wrote:Got to say it feels pretty unfair to find out a designs rejected halfway through the derby... now even if I revised it it's kinda too little too late, makes me sad.

I don't blame you - that's been up since Friday - there's no reason it should have waited until Tuesday to be rejected (if they had planned to reject, I mean.) I'm actually shocked that it WAS rejected. It's not like we haven't seen our fair share of Mario entries around here in the past.

colinlepper

ladybugb wrote:I don't blame you - that's been up since Friday - there's no reason it should have waited until Tuesday to be rejected (if they had planned to reject, I mean.) I'm actually shocked that it WAS rejected. It's not like we haven't seen our fair share of Mario entries around here in the past.

Ya I figure its probably the M though most designs tend to avoid that now that I think of it. It would have been so easy to change if I knew this friday too! arg! arg I say!

j5

ladybugb wrote:Sometimes I wonder what's worse - no rejectionating at all, or inconsistent rejecting. Mario's out, but Bowser/dismembered Mario is okay? Reject SOME off topics, but even close to all of them (including highly voted ones)? I'm...confused...which is not usual around here... :P

Like colinlepper said, it was probably the "M" that got him. Trademark and all that.

colinlepper wrote:Got to say it feels pretty unfair to find out a designs rejected halfway through the derby... now even if I revised it it's kinda too little too late, makes me sad.

Yes, there is a small window of time late on Friday where they do rejections, after which review goes to the next week at an indeterminate time. Quite unfair.

move along

orabbit

Yeah that's a raw deal. Maybe they were in tense legal negotiations until the moment before rejection. Woot was valiantly battling "The Man" and finally could fight no longer, being forced to drop Baby Mario before he had a chance to grow up.

Or not.

scrabblefish

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scrabblefish

I'm thinking the Rejectionator had himself a long weekend and was making up some lost time. He sure was busy today!

bounty42

We need DOWN voting, or community rejection, or SOMETHING! Things like this should be happening with 20 hours of submission.

girlgipsie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages girlgipsie

How do i get permission to use some of these images for my library? There are a few that i would like to make a poster of for the kids area.

This derby is perfect timing for our annual summer reading program.

MrDarcyLover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrDarcyLover
ntkeppler wrote:Would love to see a Jasper Fforde reference!

dude, yes. i was so hoping for someone to mention Jasper Fforde. sadly, i did not see any such entries...