bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
aerc712 wrote:I honestly don't know what the rules are, but it seems to test copyright.

In beat sampling you're allowed no more than 10 seconds of the original before it becomes a Derivitive work. Text though, I'm not sure.

Quick search lists it as "recognizable" so I might suggest something like "Her Milkshake brings all the boys"

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
j5 wrote:Actually, they were formulaic ideas delivered with full sardonic intent, and accepted by Omar as such.
Also, ISWYDT

Eh, reading through things again, I missed the sarcasm. Oops. The different characters used in the examples make it clear.

I'm a big fan of the creativity that some of the artists display here.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
aerc712 wrote:I honestly don't know what the rules are, but it seems to test copyright.

for you, because it sounds like someone put your kitten in the dryer, I will not sub it.

and before you jump back to defend yourself, its a joke because your posts seem tightly wound. Relax and have fun. ;)

However, this seems promising...

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
bounty42 wrote:Accepting the Above definition of Pop, we have:

118,257 sales from 11 Pop designs
105,600 sales from 16 Other designs
- 11,810 sales from 4 Cat designs
- 24,164 sales from 4 Kawaii designs
- 5,736 sales from 4 Artistic
- 49,301 sales from 1 Literary Design
- 11,505 sales from 2 'Gamer' designs
- 3,084 from 1 'Juvinile' design

I feel bad including such Disparate data points. I recalculated based on all Sales AFTER the reboot.

TOTAL: 70,729 sales - 28? new designs
POP : 27,287 sales - 7 new designs
OTHER: 43,442 sales - 21 new designs
-Cats: 12,205 sales - 4 new designs
-Kawaii: 12,642 sales - 6 new designs
-Artistic: 9,947 sales - 7 new designs
-Literary: 584 sales - 0 new designs
-'Gamer': 3,084 sales - 2 new designs
-Other: 4,521 sales - 2 new designs
-Turbunguin: 459 sales - 0 new designs

CARP! forgot to include this weeks shirts. Need to go, get them later.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

aerc712

midgerock wrote:for you, because it sounds like someone put your kitten in the dryer, I will not sub it.

and before you jump back to defend yourself, its a joke because your posts seem tightly wound. Relax and have fun. ;)

My post was only meant to raise a very real concern for your design. Many designs have been rejected because of copyright concerns and I honestly just wanted to mention that in case the lyrics would have disqualified your design.

As for the "tightly wound" comment - I misread a post and missed the sarcastic tone in it, that happens all the time. The comments about original, new designs - I love when artists take the time to work on creative designs in response to the derby prompts. I am always impressed by the creativity and skill that some artists here show. To go with that, I sometimes, and I'm sure the same goes for others here, get disappointed when things don't necessarily meet expectations.

Again, my comments were not meant as a slight or anything. If you took it that way I am sorry, but I sincerely was concerned about copyright issues.

thebaldwinboy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thebaldwinboy
orabbit wrote:Do you guys think this is on topic?

I would wear the cribbity crap outta this!

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC

I haven't done a derby in a long time. But, I think it's time to jump back into the swing of things! Here's my entry this week.

aerc712

DJTweekNYC wrote:I haven't done a derby in a long time. But, I think it's time to jump back into the swing of things! Here's my entry this week.

I like it! The graphic seems to really capture the derby's theme.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
DJTweekNYC wrote:I haven't done a derby in a long time. But, I think it's time to jump back into the swing of things! Here's my entry this week.

!!!
So clever!

varnerj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages varnerj

Love the Geode!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

As a musician, this was the first thing to come to mind:

inspektordogge

quality posts: 4 Private Messages inspektordogge

Hah, good one! But I think the perspective on the inside could be improved. It looks a little off.

zaydabarros

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros
orabbit wrote:Do you guys think this is on topic?

I absolutely love it. Huge Wes Anderson fan here.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Inner Beauty, Shirt.Woot style:

smatzke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smatzke
jbb04 wrote:

Does this make sense? Is it funny?

This literally made me LOL. I think it looks great! However, I wouldn't wear it I would buy it as a poster or something else, but not on a t-shirt. sorry! Just being honest.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
aerc712 wrote:How much of a song can you quote, word for word, before you run into copyright issues?

There is actually a 30 second rule for playing the music without paying for it... Since it isn't the direct meaning of the song it is a parody and thats kosher...

smatzke

zaydabarros wrote:I absolutely love it. Huge Wes Anderson fan here.

LOL. I had to look up who Wes Anderson was. When I saw the shirt I just thought of the book Fanstastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl. I did see the movie, but was rather disappointed in it.

ldokiernan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ldokiernan

So I was thinking of sort of "Creativity of each individual" sort of thing, but I'm having trouble finding a good way of composing them together. I was thinking I might add a fourth, or maybe I should just improve them and have only one on a shirt? thanks for any advice.

smatzke

Can we add "No Mario" rule too? I would like to see a derby with no Mario and no Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I love Mario and Star Wars, but I am kinda getting tired of them in a derby.

k? Thanks. Bye.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

here's the finished design...

aerc712

ldokiernan wrote:

So I was thinking of sort of "Creativity of each individual" sort of thing, but I'm having trouble finding a good way of composing them together. I was thinking I might add a fourth, or maybe I should just improve them and have only one on a shirt? thanks for any advice.

Just an idea in case you add a fourth - I don't know if this was the intent, but the colors and shapes made me think of earth, air, fire, and water, so perhaps if it continued along those lines it would be pretty good. Each person is drawn to one more than the other and it could be an interesting way to approach the theme.

orabbit

midgerock wrote:here's the finished design...

You know, I was hoping for some zombies. Looks good!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I've been working on this idea and I'd love any feedback. Its sort of literal.... sort of ridiculous. Thanks!

wilsonml

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wilsonml
jbb04 wrote:

Does this make sense? Is it funny?

I like it, makes perfect sense.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux
ldokiernan wrote:

You could add the third cleft, Alto Cleft, which some of us would concluded to be alto cleft because Violas are awesome!

Alto is the cleft between treble and bass, with middle-c as the center line. In an orchestra, violas are the only instrument to regularly use alto cleft. Trombones can use alto due to the fact some follow that alto matches the range of the trombone better, but others feel that no one other than violist know alto cleft.
That is what was taught to me when I last took a class in music theory. The class was taught by the school's band instructor many years before most of you were born.

tanadora

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanadora
ldokiernan wrote:

Hmmm. As it is, it reminds me of the three golden goddesses that formed the Triforce. :P

I'd vote adding in a fourth because it is way too easy to assume the current design is supposed to represent something since blue/red(orange)/green are pretty default colors. Purple is always a nice addition! :D

beso0282

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beso0282

They should also add...

NO MARIO...

NO CATS...

Just saying.

Everything is art.

beso0282

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beso0282
jessisima wrote:
I've been working on this idea and I'd love any feedback. Its sort of literal.... sort of ridiculous. Thanks!

I'd think about removing the text. I'm pretty sure everyone gets the reference and if not....well...

Everything is art.

orabbit

beso0282 wrote:I'd think about removing the text. I'm pretty sure everyone gets the reference and if not....well...

I kind of love the text. It's nicely done.

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

I like it.quote postid="5061751" user="jbb04"]

Does this make sense? Is it funny?[/quote]

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

I really like this shirt with all three on it. I wish it were not black because I am sick of looking at my hsuband wearing black tees all the time. But there may not be a better color for this design.

ldokiernan wrote:

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
midgerock wrote:here's the finished design...

The Man With Two Brains Part II? :P

jessisima

beso0282 wrote:I'd think about removing the text. I'm pretty sure everyone gets the reference and if not....well...

Hmmmmm... yeah I have tried it with and without text. Its not really for clarification as much as decoration. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be messing with it some more.

jessisima

orabbit wrote:I kind of love the text. It's nicely done.

Thanks. Yeah, I worked for a while on the text, and while I'm not sure if it is working perfectly yet, I think it adds a nice decorative element. Well... we'll see...

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
inspektordogge wrote:Hah, good one! But I think the perspective on the inside could be improved. It looks a little off.

I took some advice from master colorist Odysseyroc and changed the dark purple on the inside to something much less saturated. I find it fixes some of the perspective issues on the inside. You'll see when I post my entry. Good eye!

carenfortuna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carenfortuna
midgerock wrote:for you, because it sounds like someone put your kitten in the dryer, I will not sub it.

However, this seems promising...

Awesome!

carenfortuna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carenfortuna
jessisima wrote:

I like it. Bold colors, good design, appropriately cynical.

orabbit

What's going on with no votes or comments?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Hey guys, we're aware of the current voting issue. Most likely they're being recorded, but aren't being refreshed. We've got our guys on it!

svelbjorn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages svelbjorn

It would be interesting to see the results of a blind ballot. Not knowing who is in the lead until the winner is announced. It would force people to actually look at every design and judge on the merit of the individual design rather than how many votes it already has...

I'll get to it.