noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Py here! I have to admit to having the giggles over this week's entry.

Second entry this week is in response to the call for ramen! :P

razzcarabear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages razzcarabear

I'm with this guy..

bounty42 wrote:Actually over the last 5 Derbies the top 9 have included:
Art 15
Cat 5
Buterfly 5
Star Wars 4
Kawaii 4
LotR 3
Tree 2
Robot 2
Mice 2
Who 2
Ship 2
Slogan 2
Mario 2
Shot Gun 1
Zombies 1
Penguin 1
Pinup 1
Shark 1
AnthroFood 1
Fairy Tale 1
Python 1
Dino 1
Bird 1
Ironman 1

So what we need to limit is either Artistic Prints, or complaints over the content of Derbies.

dcroe05

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05
lyonscc wrote:Ok - so after reading the comments and getting some input from family & friends, I'm down to three choices.

Brown has the most positive feedback, and creme & cranberry are a tie, though historically creme sells poorly on Woot...

I was unsure until you added the choice for brown. But it's slightly unfair because with the brown you added color for the sunset which helps it pop.

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
midgerock wrote:Old design sittin around which is one of my personal faves because I love cheese. What do you guys think?

make it a delicious cheesecake instead and I will totally buy that. -w-

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

So, I know that cream is not a favorite around here, so what do people think of this image on silver?

nickolis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickolis
lyonscc wrote:Ok - so after reading the comments and getting some input from family & friends, I'm down to three choices.

Brown has the most positive feedback, and creme & cranberry are a tie, though historically creme sells poorly on Woot...

Myself, I love the colorful logo included on the brown.

Breaker1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Breaker1

Working on a concept my girlfriend came up with (and drew). Hoping to hear back any constructive comments others might have

meltedpopsicles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meltedpopsicles

I'm really new to the t-shirt derby rules. Help!

First question, 6 spot colors.
I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between: spot colors, shades and halftones. I have used solid colors and added white and black to them, but I'm not sure if that is considered a shade or a new color. Do I have too many colors and how do I create half tones through illustrator besides using dot shapes?
If anyone can help me with these questions It would be grateful. Once again I apologize, I am a polliwog! :D

loulousq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq

i have problems with the halftones and am still learning how to use em...

mubarama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mubarama

I really like the brown, and I will totally buy this shirt. The Donner Party just came up in a conversation yesterday. NOT kidding!!

lyonscc wrote:How about Brown?

loulousq

nickolis wrote:Myself, I love the colorful logo included on the brown.

i like the cranberry and the hardly different shades you used there. it seems to flow better and work as a whole

loulousq

meltedpopsicles wrote:I'm really new to the t-shirt derby rules. Help!

I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between: spot colors, shades and halftones. I have used solid colors and added white and black to them, but I'm not sure if that is considered a shade or a new color. Do I have too many colors and how do I create half tones through illustrator besides using dot shapes?
If anyone can help me with these questions It would be grateful. Once again I apologize, I am a polliwog! :D

i think that's all of the spot colors. i'm new myself but yours seems to have lots more colors. i think that's how it works...

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
jessisima wrote:

So, I know that cream is not a favorite around here, so what do people think of this image on silver?

Creme is fine - it's summer!

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Breaker1 wrote:Working on a concept my girlfriend came up with (and drew). Hoping to hear back any constructive comments others might have

No celebrity likenesses

741wife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 741wife

This was my first idea, which was better than my second, and became my third idea. I used sketchbook to do it, though, so I'm not sure if I can actually enter it. Does anybody know if sketchbook is an acceptable program?

Phillip King

granilithe

quality posts: 9 Private Messages granilithe

I'm of no help but just saying I love this design and hope you get the colors sorted. /Penguin addiction must buy all the penguins

thevikingartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist

My understanding is that spot colors are the colors being printed. so Imagine each one as an ink and you only have six inks to make your drawing.
you can have more colors but only as gradients of those colors and those gradients will be composed of dots of your six colors.

I believe it said if you use illustrator you can leave the gradients and they'll take care of halftones and such for you. But if you use another program you need to do it yourself.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong this will be my first derby as well.

thevikingartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist

After Jessisima beat me to dragons eating knights, and deciding that drawing cute faces on potatoes was not turning out how I imagined it, I decided to try a mouse and the moon made of cheese. Not sure if it's quite on topic since the mouse isn't eating the cheese moon happily but I figured I'd post it and see what people thought.

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin
granilithe wrote:I'm of no help but just saying I love this design and hope you get the colors sorted. /Penguin addiction must buy all the penguins

Switch food to ramen and you've got yourself a buyer. Either way, I'll still buy this.

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin
noxandpy wrote:Py here! I have to admit to having the giggles over this week's entry.

Yay ramen!

meltedpopsicles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meltedpopsicles

wow, thanks for all the help everyone. I'm going to limit my color pallet and work with the gradients I have. I'll figure out the half tone part hopefully on the way. Hopefully I'll be able to enter mine in once I get on lunch break :D

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

To answer the first question, shades are technically counted as new spot colors. So if you lighten or darken one of your spot colors by adding white or black, that makes it a new spot color. Halftones can eliminate the shading problem by creating the illusion of shading. You can lighten a color by overlaying a white haltone and darken by overlaying a black halftone. There are a number of tutorials available here in the forums (one by tgentry and one by ramyb) that help to explain how halftones work. I'm not too familiar with how illustrator handles them, but I imagine it's not too different from photoshop.

It seems that as you currently have it there are too many colors to get past the rejectionator.

tjschaeffer

loulousq wrote:i have problems with the halftones and am still learning how to use em...

A few helpful tips:

-When adding shadows (or anything in the foreground), line halftones tend to work better than round halftones.

-Your halftones seem to be applied at 90 degrees. This creates a very grid-like appearance. Try adjusting the angle. The standard for screen printing seems to be 67.5 degrees and 22.5 degrees.

-The halftones seem rather large. Are you outputting at a lower dpi? You want to set it anywhere between 20 and 30 dpi so that the halftones look more like a solid color than like actual dots. I still struggle with halftones, so there might be something else going on there that I'm not seeing.

Good luck

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

I kind of liked the cranberry (the blood idea) until I saw what you did with the brown. IT looks great. I think you have a winner here.

mubarama wrote:I really like the brown, and I will totally buy this shirt. The Donner Party just came up in a conversation yesterday. NOT kidding!!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
orabbit wrote:No celebrity likenesses

Yeah, just google "shirt woot no celebrity likeness" it's Ka-Razy what gets rejected for celebrity likeness.

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle

Could I have some feedback please? Never entered a derby before, but this subject really prompted some ideas in my brain. So I had a little sketch session in my sketch book. Would something like this interest anyone? Is there any point me continuing the design? And which is your favourite?

sem277

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sem277

I love the third one.

lilsquiggle wrote:Could I have some feedback please? Never entered a derby before, but this subject really prompted some ideas in my brain. So I had a little sketch session in my sketch book. Would something like this interest anyone? Is there any point me continuing the design? And which is your favourite?

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Hi, it's always fun to see new artists at woot!

Here are a couple of videos from two experienced Woot artists explaining how to use halftones. Hope they are helpful.

Odysseyroc's

Walmazan's

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

I know this was answered a few times already but some were confusing.

You are allowed 6 ink colors and that is it (Including black and white).
No gradients are allowed unless they are shown as halftoned in the derby. By halftoning you can make the effect of fading by using just one of your 6 colors and using smaller and smaller dots/lines.

To give you more color options use the color of your shirt as part of your design.

Finally if you zoom in and look at the pixels your pixels have to be blank or one of your 6 ink colors. If a pixel is not one of your 6 ink colors or is faded between two ink colors they cannot print your shirt.

mom2kate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mom2kate

I personally really like the cranberry!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
noxandpy wrote:Py here! I have to admit to having the giggles over this week's entry.

Love 'em both!

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
lyonscc wrote:

Brown looks like a professional packaging. I'd expect to see that on a modern box of meat snacks.

Creme gives the old time feel, the muted colors make you pay a bit more attention to the message faster. YOu always get there, but you get there faster on Creme.

Cranberry has the something, but looking at the 3 like this, I think it's my lease favorite.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
lilsquiggle wrote:Could I have some feedback please? Never entered a derby before, but this subject really prompted some ideas in my brain. So I had a little sketch session in my sketch book. Would something like this interest anyone? Is there any point me continuing the design? And which is your favourite?

Yeap, The third one is cutter!

shikausstan

How about this one? Any comments? There is a reference here, not sure how many will get it...

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

The Key is to understand how Woot Prints your design.

They are going to make a 6 Layer PSD (or equivalent) where each Layer has 1, and only 1, color. They will then burn that image onto a screen. This will create "holes" where your color was. Then they will get some ink/paint that matches the color of that layer, pour it onto the screen, and press down. The color will pass through the screen and stick to the shirt.

This is why you only get 6 colors (that's all the space the machine has).

This is why you don't get shades (you can't burn this hole whiter or blacker than that one).

This is why you can't have gradients (you can't burn a percentage of the screen, either it's burnt, or it isn't).

This is why you need to watch half-tone size(dots get to small, they don't burn, dots get to close, they burn together into 1 giant dot).

If you build a 6 layer document, with 1 color on each layer, you will have a perfect idea of how your printed shirt will look.

For illustrator they are occasionally willing to help convert Gradient to Halftone, as the Vector graphics of Illustrator don't do halftone, but there's an export converter by Adobe that does 90% of the work for you.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
sem277 wrote:I love the third one.

omarfeliciano wrote:Yeap, The third one is cutter!

Interesting, thats probably my least favourite XD I've had one vote elsewhere from a friend for number 1 and my fav is stuck somewhere between 1 and 2. Argh. Decisions. *Waits patiently for more opinions* :P

shikausstan

lilsquiggle wrote:Interesting, thats probably my least favourite XD I've had one vote elsewhere from a friend for number 1 and my fav is stuck somewhere between 1 and 2. Argh. Decisions. *Waits patiently for more opinions* :P

I believe the third is the option for you!

tippypaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tippypaws

[quote postid="5067521" user="lyonscc"]I love Trail Mix/Party Mix (making some right now, in fact).

I can't decide whether to go with Creme, Navy or Cranberry, tho.

Thoughts?

Brown or Navy with lighter ink on the design.

tjschaeffer

lilsquiggle wrote:Interesting, thats probably my least favourite XD I've had one vote elsewhere from a friend for number 1 and my fav is stuck somewhere between 1 and 2. Argh. Decisions. *Waits patiently for more opinions* :P

I like the first one the most.

tjschaeffer

midgerock wrote:Old design sittin around which is one of my personal faves because I love cheese. What do you guys think?

Not to be a stickler, but shouldn't it say "Le fromage" (or is it la? I can't remember genders)? Mmmm....cheese....