j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cherylfrancis wrote:Can you save or export from GIMP? Stupid question I know, but it's easy to open up in photoshop and create channels. I would be willing to help if I can.


That was a joke.
Pantalones?
pants?

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

kevlar51


quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

"Pop Culture" is hard to define, and I think Woot is appropriately trying to avoid using the term here. Somewhere along the way in the t-shirt world, "pop culture" became synonymous with "existing intellectual property," which isn't really the correct approach. I'd consider cats, bacon, zombies and ninjas to be current pop culture, but all are permitted under a "no pop culture" derby. Meanwhile, a Deuce Bigelow shirt would get the pop culture boot because it's not an original creation, even though (as Travis pointed out), I'm the only person who cares about the movie.


cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
j5 wrote:That was a joke.
Pantalones?
pants?



My offer to help was a joke too. I have more important things to do. I have some gold fillings to yank.


cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
kevlar51 wrote:"Pop Culture" is hard to define, and I think Woot is appropriately trying to avoid using the term here. Somewhere along the way in the t-shirt world, "pop culture" became synonymous with "existing intellectual property," which isn't really the correct approach. I'd consider cats, bacon, zombies and ninjas to be current pop culture, but all are permitted under a "no pop culture" derby. Meanwhile, a Deuce Bigelow shirt would get the pop culture boot because it's not an original creation, even though (as Travis pointed out), I'm the only person who cares about the movie.



But zombies are real!!


tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Has anyone looked here for the shakeup?

clickety

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar

Just FYI, the "change" we hinted at is posted here.

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
omarfeliciano wrote:

So, basically what you are saying is that we can be creative? ;)



It's more like we're ASKING if you can be creative. :P

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
tjschaeffer wrote:Has anyone looked here for the shakeup?

clickety



Yes and to paraphrase Mr. Horse from Ren & Stimpy: Yes Sir, I like it!

nathanwpyle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Okay here's an idea with no pop culture

AU-RRRR we found it

or some appropriate title

rasabi


quality posts: 27 Private Messages rasabi
nathanwpyle wrote:Okay here's an idea with no pop culture

AU-RRRR we found it

or some appropriate title



I like it. I have an urge to complicate it... either have a pirate finding it or maybe work a pirate ship into the background (not sure how you'd do that with your perspective though...). Your simpler version probably works better though.

nathanwpyle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
rasabi wrote:I like it. I have an urge to complicate it... either have a pirate finding it or maybe work a pirate ship into the background (not sure how you'd do that with your perspective though...). Your simpler version probably works better though.




Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about adding a pirate, my only hesitation was that it might obscure the shape of the Periodic Table

bradalee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
nathanwpyle wrote:Okay here's an idea with no pop culture

AU-RRRR we found it

or some appropriate title



Ugh, i'm halfway through a similar idea right now! Curses

I do like yours though :D

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates

So, here's an idea. Save pop culture junk for the dailies only...
Limit pop culture in the derby so that the more creative designs actually get a chance.

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
llandar wrote:Just FYI, the "change" we hinted at is posted here.



WaHOOOOOOO!!! I LOVE it!! Thank you, thank you WOOT!


mapinto


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mapinto

My idea has someone smoking a cigarette. Is that rejectionator bait, or is that allowed?

nathanwpyle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
bradalee wrote:Ugh, i'm halfway through a similar idea right now! Curses

I do like yours though :D



This happens a lot! you should finish and submit your design because FREEDOM

bradalee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
nathanwpyle wrote:This happens a lot! you should finish and submit your design because FREEDOM



Haha, i might do! Depends how it turns out. I have a few idea's and with the new voting system i don't have to rush to finish them all tonight.

cdrewlow


quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
benjaminleebates wrote:So, here's an idea. Save pop culture junk for the dailies only...
Limit pop culture in the derby so that the more creative designs actually get a chance.



Ah, but where do you draw the line? For this derby one could do a Willy Wonka golden ticket or a James Bond Goldfinger design. These topics aren't beaten to death here, but could still be argued as pop culture.

nathanwpyle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
bradalee wrote:Haha, i might do! Depends how it turns out. I have a few idea's and with the new voting system i don't have to rush to finish them all tonight.



Yeah! That's good news, ay? Nice to be encouraged to take ones time

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Hey!!! I was really disappointed when this design was rejected... Do you think it's the right time to try again?¿? With the proper changes, obviously, so there are not copyright problems

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
cdrewlow wrote:Ah, but where do you draw the line? For this derby one could do a Willy Wonka golden ticket or a James Bond Goldfinger design. These topics aren't beaten to death here, but could still be argued as pop culture.


Right, kinda arbitrary, but then the rule was a bit vague with the beating of the dead horse comment. Perhaps if 3 hitchhikers guide referenced shirt were printed in the last week, that would then apply. I think anything can become rejection bait...

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
rasabi wrote:"or any other horses that have been beaten well past their deaths."

I believe this means Secretariat-themed shirts are right out.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

I haven't entered a derby in forever. I do have an idea this week though so I might try it. It involves pimping out a Goldfinch. Stay tuned.

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
neuropsychosocial wrote:I believe this means Secretariat-themed shirts are right out.



hahaha! I was trying to think of a dead horse.


Mavyn


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
wirdou wrote:Hey!!! I was really disappointed when this design was rejected... Do you think it's the right time to try again?¿? With the proper changes, obviously, so there are not copyright problems



I'd call that kicking Mr Ed.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

nathanwpyle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Hey I think you were right, Rasabi - this helps convey the concept better

mdillard9


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mdillard9

This is the first derby I've been excited about in a while!

Thinaeariel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thinaeariel

Hopefully no one will object to some Tolkien themed designs! I don't think the theme has been used enough. Hobbit is coming out, how about a nice Smaug with his treasure?
I have no creative juices. I rely on you all :-D

aerc712


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
nathanwpyle wrote:Hey I think you were right, Rasabi - this helps convey the concept better



The original design was good, but now it's great. The glee on his face jumped out when I saw it. I love how the design is simple yet detailed at the same time (hope that makes sense!).

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
Thinaeariel wrote:Hopefully no one will object to some Tolkien themed designs! I don't think the theme has been used enough. Hobbit is coming out, how about a nice Smaug with his treasure?
I have no creative juices. I rely on you all :-D



Funny. I'm working on a dragon with his hoarde - not so much tolkein themed but D&D themed.

nathanwpyle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
aerc712 wrote:The original design was good, but now it's great. The glee on his face jumped out when I saw it. I love how the design is simple yet detailed at the same time (hope that makes sense!).



Thanks for the kind words! And yes, I was going for just that. One thing I think I'm learning is that something has to dominate in the design and other things have to fade, so I'm trying to strike the right balance there...

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Good derby (and cool changes in the other thread).

Idea:

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

My idea (open to anyone):
Goldilocks as a hipster with her own upscale porridge cafe. Instead of Venti, Tall, etc. porridge comes in Too Hot, Too Cold, Just right (maybe you come up with some ridiculous French/Italian names for the choices, like Starbucks). Bear claws also on the menu. Maybe the cafe is populated by hipster versions of other fairy tale characters.

paaiyan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
nathanwpyle wrote:Hey I think you were right, Rasabi - this helps convey the concept better




Do waaant!

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
wirdou wrote:Hey!!! I was really disappointed when this design was rejected... Do you think it's the right time to try again?¿? With the proper changes, obviously, so there are not copyright problems



I love this design of yours. I'm not 100% clear on woot's rules regarding past rejected entries, but I think it would be safe if you cleaned up the copyright issues. Definitely a vote from me if you can submit it!

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

Also, Patrick's Choose Wisely would have been awesome with the gold ink. I wonder if woot's choosing of it to print earlier this week was coincidence or not.

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Something just occurred to me. Is gold the theme, or is a design that uses metallic gold ink the theme? In other words, will I get rejected if my design isn't about gold in some way, but just features metallic gold ink?

autsey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
orabbit wrote:Something just occurred to me. Is gold the theme, or is a design that uses metallic gold ink the theme? In other words, will I get rejected if my design isn't about gold in some way, but just features metallic gold ink?



I say featuring the ink.

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
nathanwpyle wrote:Hey I think you were right, Rasabi - this helps convey the concept better



What color shirt is that Nathan?

okac


quality posts: 1 Private Messages okac
orabbit wrote:Something just occurred to me. Is gold the theme, or is a design that uses metallic gold ink the theme? In other words, will I get rejected if my design isn't about gold in some way, but just features metallic gold ink?


I re-read it and I would also say the gold ink is the feature also