lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
lyonscc wrote:Is this too subtle?

I can tell that its referring to Firefly/Serenity, and the wish that they would do a second season, but whether someone on the street would get whats going on without knowing the derby theme... ? Not so sure on that...

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

Is this a Firefly reference or a N_A_Z_I reference? Because I do believe they're Browncoats in Mr. Whedon's universe.

Also, I personally quite dislike that font. It's overdone IMO unless I'm totally missing the reference all around.

ETA: Argh filters! I wasn't being ignorant but quite the opposite! And I now realize maybe you substituted "shirt" for "coat" on purpose cuz it *is* on a shirt after all, but the Brownshirts were a N*a*z*i thing.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
thewronggrape wrote:Is this a Firefly reference or a N_A_Z_I reference? Because I do believe they're Browncoats in Mr. Whedon's universe.

Also, I personally quite dislike that font. It's overdone IMO unless I'm totally missing the reference all around.

ETA: Argh filters! I wasn't being ignorant but quite the opposite! And I now realize maybe you substituted "shirt" for "coat" on purpose cuz it *is* on a shirt after all, but the Brownshirts were a N*a*z*i thing.

Well total crap - I thought one thing and typed the other.

Probably best to get that right, huh?

lyonscc

lilsquiggle wrote:I can tell that its referring to Firefly/Serenity, and the wish that they would do a second season, but whether someone on the street would get whats going on without knowing the derby theme... ? Not so sure on that...

I've got a number of friends/family members who still spit when they say the word "Fox", because of the Firefly cancellation. They were my inspiration, because I know they'd be in for 7 apiece, so that they could wear one every day of the week.

Here's the one without my brainfart:

lyonscc

thewronggrape wrote:

I'm not a big Papyrus font fan either, but I was going for the Serenity reference.

I did have a ship integrated into the design, as well, but then figured that would be rejectionator bait. I also wanted to use the Chinese characters for the word "serenity", as well, but figured that would get the rejectionator treatment, as well.

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu

I'm sure everyone is tired of seeing Harry Potter stuff now, but I've wanted to do something like this for a while and this seems like the perfect time Any Thoughts?

Oh to be a Gryffindor...

lyonscc

Is it better with or without the black border?

thewronggrape

lyonscc wrote:I'm not a big Papyrus font fan either, but I was going for the Serenity reference.

Totally forgot about the SERENITY logo in Papyrus! More used to the "firefly" typeface.

Your brainfarts are contagious!

lyonscc

One more design I'm working on, and then to bed:

tedschopf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tedschopf

On the subject of firefly, it was brown coat *cough*

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
lyonscc wrote:Is it better with or without the black border?

I'd like it better if there was some way to make the reference clear without the word "Browncoat" at all.

Also, not that this is a necessary component the way the description is written, but did you have a first two wishes in mind?

Nekkochan

Nekkochan wrote:I'd like it better if there was some way to make the reference clear without the word "Browncoat" at all.

Also, not that this is a necessary component the way the description is written, but did you have a first two wishes in mind?

That is, if I'm interpreting correctly that the wish is for there simply to be a Season Two, and hence a reason for the shirt's existence. With the word "Browncoat" in there, maybe the wish is to be an official browncoat actually appearing in season two, or something.

lyonscc

Nekkochan wrote:That is, if I'm interpreting correctly that the wish is for there simply to be a Season Two, and hence a reason for the shirt's existence. With the word "Browncoat" in there, maybe the wish is to be an official browncoat actually appearing in season two, or something.

That is it, exactly. :-)

To expand: I have a friend in the movie business, and on a number of the sets he's worked, the crew and extras often have identifying shirts. He's got several that have a pre-publicity logo (not the final one) and "CREW" or "TECH" on them.

loulousq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq

A Man's Wish

high res here: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9444/amanswisheshighres.png

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but... Papyrus? Really?

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Are we keeping the new derby rules for this one? I didn't notice a guest editor or anything... did I miss something?

lilsquiggle

paaiyan wrote:I don't mean to sound like a jerk but... Papyrus? Really?

The Serenity film logo uses Papyrus. Makes perfect sense to reference it and use the same font.

EDIT: In actual fact, looking at it now, it does not use papyrus, but it is a very similar style font.

lyonscc

lilsquiggle wrote:

The Serenity film logo uses Papyrus. Makes perfect sense to reference it and use the same font.

EDIT: In actual fact, looking at it now, it does not use papyrus, but it is a very similar style font.

It's funny - there's quite a bit of the same reaction I had when I realized I'd need to use the Papyrus font. After lots and lots of Googling, even the professional guys seem to think Serenity started with the Papyrus font, and just tweaked it in a few places.

What got me started down this path (I've watched the series once on Netflix, though I did watch the movie in the theater - because my aforementioned friends were in a state of euphoria and demanded I accompany them) was the obsessive devotion I have seen in fans of the series, and the thoughts of what their "Third Wish" would be.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
ochopika wrote:Are we keeping the new derby rules for this one? I didn't notice a guest editor or anything... did I miss something?

Maybe that's part of their plan...I don't think they announced spiritgreen until the derby started last week, either.

gopherjen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gopherjen
loulousq wrote:A Man's Wish

I like this

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

Get rid of or change the girls outline. . . As it stands you will likely be rejected.

lilsquiggle

So I've spent the day doing this... and as it stands, can't say Im particularly happy with it. I hate stuff that looks good in my head and I can never translate to awesomeness. Not really sure what to do to strengthen the image either. I know it needs a background, Im thinking maybe Ill put some trees or something in...

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Think you're going to lose a lot of votes by targeting just men.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

speedlazer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages speedlazer

Maybe it's just the amount of sleep I've been getting, but... Anyone else see room for a legitimate Dragon Ball reference in this derby?

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
speedlazer wrote:Maybe it's just the amount of sleep I've been getting, but... Anyone else see room for a legitimate Dragon Ball reference in this derby?

Yeah! :D

Mavyn

lilsquiggle wrote:So I've spent the day doing this... and as it stands, can't say Im particularly happy with it. I hate stuff that looks good in my head and I can never translate to awesomeness. Not really sure what to do to strengthen the image either. I know it needs a background, Im thinking maybe Ill put some trees or something in...

I can't draw, so...yeah, I get that. I like this. I'd make the collar a smidge bigger, so it stand out more, and put a genie in the back ground, looking down at his lamp that is half squished in a dino-sized foot print.

Maybe not on cranberry either. Would make the dino pop more...or drop his stripes.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
speedlazer wrote:Maybe it's just the amount of sleep I've been getting, but... Anyone else see room for a legitimate Dragon Ball reference in this derby?

Anime references don't usually fare well with woot voters from what I've seen, unless the "anime" in question is pokemon, or the design features chibi animals...

lilsquiggle

Mavyn wrote:I can't draw, so...yeah, I get that. I like this. I'd make the collar a smidge bigger, so it stand out more, and put a genie in the back ground, looking down at his lamp that is half squished in a dino-sized foot print.

Maybe not on cranberry either. Would make the dino pop more...or drop his stripes.

Thanks for the thoughts, I shall have another go in a while when Im less frustrated XD

Nekkochan

lyonscc wrote:That is it, exactly. :-)

To expand: I have a friend in the movie business, and on a number of the sets he's worked, the crew and extras often have identifying shirts. He's got several that have a pre-publicity logo (not the final one) and "CREW" or "TECH" on them.

Ah! I would probably have gotten that if I were more familiar with the movie business. Carry on!

thewronggrape

shikausstan wrote:Get rid of or change the girls outline. . . As it stands you will likely be rejected.

I agree. You could replace it with lip stick kiss marks.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

A couple suggestions, you should get rid of the nipple as that'll probably get you rejected, maybe add a little bikini string tie on her back or something too and lose the nudity. The point is still made, man wants hot chick.

I also think the lamp he's holding should be a little bigger or clearer or something.

I like the idea of making the genie stick out, but what's that red stuff on his face? Maybe make the whole genie himself red, that'll really highlight him.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Did we mention Drakxxx is this week's guest editor? Because he totally is.

Mavyn

Yay Drakxxx! :D

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tgentry wrote:Did we mention Drakxxx is this week's guest editor? Because he totally is.

//scrambles to create some hellspawn demon creature 3rd wish design.

move along

erikarain3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erikarain3
lyonscc wrote:I've got a number of friends/family members who still spit when they say the word "Fox", because of the Firefly cancellation. They were my inspiration, because I know they'd be in for 7 apiece, so that they could wear one every day of the week.

please submit? Outdoor Mulch For Gardening i miss firefly *CRYS**

Here's the one without my brainfart:

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

Is it just me, or are a lot of the early entries just random "what I'd wish for" things, if that? Some of them don't even seem to reference wishes at all, and just portray "cool things" or clever word play (a la the literal genie referenced in SkekTek's link earlier). Either woot is going to play *very* loose with the derby theme, or I foresee a ton of rejections for off topic.

That said, there are a handful of clever designs that at least hint at a third wish. Hope to see more.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
citizencoyote wrote:Is it just me, or are a lot of the early entries just random "what I'd wish for" things, if that? Some of them don't even seem to reference wishes at all, and just portray "cool things" or clever word play (a la the literal genie referenced in SkekTek's link earlier). Either woot is going to play *very* loose with the derby theme, or I foresee a ton of rejections for off topic.

That said, there are a handful of clever designs that at least hint at a third wish. Hope to see more.

I don't think the theme is intended to show 2 fails and a success, it is intended to elicit what your ultimate wish would be knowing that it's valid and not a trick.
Let the games begin.

move along

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
tgentry wrote:Did we mention Drakxxx is this week's guest editor? Because he totally is.

Pro Tip: Drakxxx loves long walks, sunsets, and Zamfir (master of the pan flue).

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
citizencoyote wrote:Is it just me, or are a lot of the early entries just random "what I'd wish for" things, if that? Some of them don't even seem to reference wishes at all, and just portray "cool things" or clever word play (a la the literal genie referenced in SkekTek's link earlier). Either woot is going to play *very* loose with the derby theme, or I foresee a ton of rejections for off topic.

This. I'm not seeing much in most of the designs that would in any way denote them as a third/final/ultimate wish. This week seems to be pretty much "artist's choice free-for-all" from what I can tell.

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee

Yeah i don't see the theme in the vast majority of the designs this week.

But i guess if the theme was enforced we would be left with about 5 designs of the ones that have been submitted so far.