aksthomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aksthomp

Hmmm... could I resubmit my design from last week this time? It's a Minotar and Gnoll cage fighting???

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456
Icy13 wrote:I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the appeal of riffs or mashups of pop culture you should find yourself a new t-shirt site.

Or, preferably, a new planet, solar system, galaxy, blah blah blah.

I don't care how cute your interpretation of the bounty hunter puppy is, I needed Boba Fetch in my life. Run your custom car into as many unique little snowflake phone booths as you like, you will never make me think that I didn't need It came out of nowhere.

The problem is that people often stick to the same 5-6 games/series. I'm pretty sure there is more to popular culture than Zelda, Mario, Star Wars, Star Treck, Doctor Who and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

Well, I think it's done. I changed the whole color scheme. It's closer to he creeper colors, but is anyone turned of by the greenness of it all?

Also, does anyone have a sense of whether this would do better on TeeFury or Woot?

oakenspirit

quality posts: 71 Private Messages oakenspirit
orabbit wrote:Well, I think it's done. I changed the whole color scheme. It's closer to he creeper colors, but is anyone turned of by the greenness of it all?

Also, does anyone have a sense of whether this would do better on TeeFury or Woot?

Wow man! This is way better. There was something charming about the olive but I like it much more in this form.

I FEEEEL like teefury may be a better fit but thats partly based on things I have turned in as dailies that were rejected from Woot that were 'alternate versions of logos' ... Could also be my designs weren't up to snuff though...
Great work though... I love how 3d you made it!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
aksthomp wrote:Hmmm... could I resubmit my design from last week this time? It's a Minotar and Gnoll cage fighting???

You have to make some kind of change, to distinguish it as a new original piece of work. Look at making some line or color changes, for instance.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got:

tomorrow's derby entry by Ape Lad, on Flickr

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Here's mine.

And now some sleep.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Radscoolian wrote:Here's mine.

And now some sleep.

Reminds me of Spens:

move along

j5

orabbit wrote:Well, I think it's done. I changed the whole color scheme. It's closer to he creeper colors, but is anyone turned of by the greenness of it all?

http://i.imgur.com/ktD1Al.png

Looks good.
Submit here first.
If rejected, try TeeFury.
After that, hit the rest of the shirting sites and see what flies. Many of them print designs non-exclusively. (I've seen one design float from shirt site to shirt site with no modifications)

move along

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
Radscoolian wrote:Here's mine.

And now some sleep.

Gorgeous! Great job!

tonycenteno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tonycenteno

Hey guys, I need your opinion: D

I am preparing for the derby this design but I have doubts respect to copyright. I've searched some pictures of the cookie monster and I'm trying to make different shape of the face and so on, so here's the thing. With the current form of the face, you believe that I will have problems and the design will be rejected?

Thanks!

orabbit

Rough sketch. Funny or meh? Title is "A Beautiful Day". Flames will be involved.

j5

orabbit wrote:Rough sketch. Funny or meh? Title is "A Beautiful Day". Flames will be involved.

http://i.imgur.com/jy45bl.png

It's not "woot friendly"

move along

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz

This is the best derby topic ever!
I bet there will be plenty of awesome designs

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
j5 wrote:Reminds me of Spens:

yeah... I was worried about that.
I was trying to make decisions that would push it away from Patrick's shirt, but it converged in the end.

And it's already been established that I'm a thief.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Radscoolian wrote:yeah... I was worried about that.
I was trying to make decisions that would push it away from Patrick's shirt, but it converged in the end.

Thats okay the art styles are different. And Patrick's looks more like it came from Gundam Wing or something...

j5

Radscoolian wrote:yeah... I was worried about that.

Hey, as long as you manage expectations.
I think you'll be fine with this one. It is different enough.

move along

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
j5 wrote:Reminds me of Spens:

Which looks like any robot cartoon (see Gaiking or Grendizer) from the 80's

j5

toby8915 wrote:Which looks like any robot cartoon (see Gaiking or Grendizer) from the 80's

How about some Ambassador Magma?

move along

amroyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo
sunaness wrote:Robots! ROBOTS!!!

I'm looking at you, rglee and ockopika! ROBOOOOOTS!

Ahem, you forgot Kevlar51. I haven't looked at the entries yet but there better be a Kevlar robot!

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
lyonscc wrote:I just realized I need to move it up further on the shirt...

I don't know how hard it would be to print - I've run the halftones for it, and it looks pretty good... The palette (and the linear gradients between them) make the halftone conversion pretty easy...

A while back, Patrick's Pens did a great shirt, Nobody Left to Play With (I think it was called). I loved the way he did fire on that shirt, and I sat and studied it for a long time, before figuring out how to do something similar in Illustrator...

Where things get muddy in halftone conversions is when folks try to use intricate details with three or four colors on top of each other. When you use gradient-based fire, most all places you can get to where you are just blending two colors and not 3+ colors...

I hope it prints, good luck !!

tangolite132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangolite132

This whole 'no Zelda' thing urghs me.

"Riddle me this, riddle me that: who's afraid of the big black bat?"

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tangolite132 wrote:This whole 'no Zelda' thing urghs me.

why? if you have a really good idear that involves zelda in a non-copyrite-infringing way, drawer it up, wait a bit and submit as a daily.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

WHERE IS MY DRAKXXX? Where???

*holds his breath and thrashes around*

orabbit

Here's a work in progress. Is the joke obvious? I still struggle with how to present a joke. Meh? LOL? Yawn? All of the above?

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
bluetuba wrote:... plus this would eliminate cute kitten in pumpkin designs...
?

instead we get cute dead eyed kittens with tentacles behind one of them... just as bad if you ask me!!

i had big hopes for this derby but lookin at what is in the fog makes me very sad!!! i really wish woot would make a new page for kids shirts so we could get this cute crap out of the derby.

Icy13 wrote:I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the appeal of riffs or mashups of pop culture you should find yourself a new t-shirt site.

Or, preferably, a new planet, solar system, galaxy, blah blah blah.

I don't care how cute your interpretation of the bounty hunter puppy is, I needed Boba Fetch in my life. Run your custom car into as many unique little snowflake phone booths as you like, you will never make me think that I didn't need It came out of nowhere.

you know if you want mashup pop culture shirts you can go to the other site that is now ruined because all they do now is mashups.. let us have this site where we can steel get some original art, the bird site usta be great and had tuns of great original art then for some reason they went to nothing but unoriginal mashups and pop culture joke shirts B^(

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
sirend wrote:He has a point though.. too many people too many times rely on that mushup of pop culture.. and the numbers are increasing more and more.. perhaps it is because of a lower caliber of artists who decide to laze around and just come up with some funny or witty situation with known to everyone characters.. and BIG part of it too is that more general public will vote for those kind of things.. by general public i most likely mean "nerds" that understand every little reference to some old school movie tv show etc. I wish we get more derbies that completely prohibit use of existing characters, designs and ideas. But ohh well its all about consumerism.. This is where you have a point. This is not a place for original high caliber artists for the most part. This is a place for those who rely on successful design and popularity of pop culture icons.

its really sad that more and more of these lazy artists are popping up and people are actually buying it.. so much so that its pushing the really talented artists out, we hardly ever see Draxx or Boots Boots any more and that's very sad! but whats even more sad is seeing some of the older artists on here bending over to the dark side and changing their styles to the cute dead eyed style that apparently sells very well on here for some reason... that sickens me the most!!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
orabbit wrote:Here's a work in progress. Is the joke obvious? I still struggle with how to present a joke. Meh? LOL? Yawn? All of the above?

I get it, and think it's funny!

orabbit

bluetuba wrote:I get it, and think it's funny!

Thanks! Almost finished - will sub soon.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
bluetuba wrote:I get it, and think it's funny!

I really like this one !

bemxfelix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bemxfelix

I create 2 styles with 2 colors for each .. can i upload 4 of them?? thanks

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
bemxfelix wrote:I create 2 styles with 2 colors for each .. can i upload 4 of them?? thanks

In case you didn't determine this on your own, the answer is that yes, you can. Each design/color combo should be submitted as a unique entry and there isn't a limit on how many submissions you can make, but keep in mind that

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Mavyn wrote:In case you didn't determine this on your own, the answer is that yes, you can. Each design/color combo should be submitted as a unique entry and there isn't a limit on how many submissions you can make, but keep in mind that

... keep in mind WHAT?!? WHAT?!?

this is just like that time josephus asked me if i knew how to keep a turkey in suspense, and never told me the answer!