PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
jessisima wrote:

Like this a lot. It has some of the humor and universality of classic woot designs.
The colours and image are really strong. Hope you don't mind me suggesting 'Visit' may work better than 'Enjoy' for the tourist angle. 'Our grass is always greener' may read clearer in font with more consistent line weight. Saw some good ones on a quick image search of travel posters from the 40's, 50's and 60's. All the best in the derby.

geekincarnadine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geekincarnadine
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I'm working on...

*snip*

Did you mean "formerly known" rather than "formally known"? Either are possible but the latter makes less sense with the 2nd place ribbon...

(I have no idea if it'll be okay wrt Woot, but the shirt looks good!)

Please vote...thank you!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
geekincarnadine wrote:Did you mean "formerly known" rather than "formally known"? Either are possible but the latter makes less sense with the 2nd place ribbon...

(I have no idea if it'll be okay wrt Woot, but the shirt looks good!)

HA- I did, thanks for the catch!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
PixelPants wrote:Like this a lot. It has some of the humor and universality of classic woot designs.
The colours and image are really strong. Hope you don't mind me suggesting 'Visit' may work better than 'Enjoy' for the tourist angle. 'Our grass is always greener' may read clearer in font with more consistent line weight. Saw some good ones on a quick image search of travel posters from the 40's, 50's and 60's. All the best in the derby.

I don't mind the suggestion at all. Visit makes more sense for enticing someone to come. "Enjoy" makes it sound like you're already there Thanks for the suggestions

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I'm working on...

Monkey Island is a REAL ISLAND... in fact- there are multiple MONKEY ISLANDS around the world- AND the games were never named JUST Monkey Island... Think this will fly?

Might be pushing it... however, there is this - depends what side of the fence you are on with WOOT and the staff is on the slim side. I would give the odds a 56% chance of sliding by.

valorandvellum

quality posts: 5 Private Messages valorandvellum

Did a simple design, and used stock images for reference (didn't reference from GoT imagery) so hopefully it'll be okay!

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's mine. You'll want to click it to see it bigger:

USAUSA by Ape Lad, on Flickr

jessisima

A second draft. Any suggestions welcome.

jessisima wrote:A color sketch of why first idea. Its kinda cheezy, but I hope to make it vintage travel poster style...
*EDIT* I forgot to say that input is appreciated

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

@jessima, looks great! PixelPants always gives good advice. :^)

geekincarnadine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geekincarnadine
ApeLad wrote:Here's mine. You'll want to click it to see it bigger:

Haha nice!

Please vote...thank you!

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
michesco89 wrote:Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but there is a giant button on the voting page that says "Tattle On This" that allows you to air your grievances about the shirt and why it doesn't meet guidelines, or why the design shouldn't be allowed and thus, Rejected. Whether or not Woot editors actually read these tattles, I cannot tell you, but the button is there.

Yes, we're aware. And use it. But there are a select few staff members granted the power to reject designs, and since staff numbers have been reduced, even those few are most likely being drafted into other roles--leaving less time for something which has always been under performed. Historically, there were a few rejections on Friday afternoon, a slew on Monday morning, and a handful on Tuesday/Wednesday. Last derby, there were a few on Friday.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

oakenspirit

deborah11565 wrote:Might be pushing it... however, there is this - depends what side of the fence you are on with WOOT and the staff is on the slim side. I would give the odds a 56% chance of sliding by.

Thanks- I have no idea of my standing with the Woot faction... I hope that wouldn't completely determine it though.

Just in case- I made woot some muffins this morning! They are on a tray on my front porch! Two types- Blueberry Creme Cheese and Banana Nut!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
oakenspirit wrote:Thanks- I have no idea of my standing with the Woot faction... I hope that wouldn't completely determine it though.

Just in case- I made woot some muffins this morning! They are on a tray on my front porch! Two types- Blueberry Creme Cheese and Banana Nut!

I think they prefer tritip and beer, just sayin'.

I wouldn't worry about your standing with the "Woot faction". Unlike some of me, you are very rarely if ever critical of the Woot process, wooters, or fellow artists. Peace and love be with you.

Also, I'm glad you got your tablet working with at least some functional program. Personally, I spent more time struggling with getting Illustrator to bend to my will than I did drawing anything. I hope nobody steals my ideas in the meantime.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

oakenspirit

j5 wrote:I think they prefer tritip and beer, just sayin'.

I wouldn't worry about your standing with the "Woot faction". Unlike some of me, you are very rarely if ever critical of the Woot process, wooters, or fellow artists. Peace and love be with you.

Also, I'm glad you got your tablet working with at least some functional program. Personally, I spent more time struggling with getting Illustrator to bend to my will than I did drawing anything. I hope nobody steals my ideas in the meantime.

Thanks!

Yeah- illustrator is hard mode- I am going to be practicing a decent amount this week because I really don't know what I'm doing yet. The way it redraws your lines after you draw them is both awesome and irritating. I was pretty happy with what I came up with but I also ended up editing it in photoshop since I'm more comfortable there.

OH!
*puts a bucket of Sam Adams on ice beside the muffin tray...

oakenspirit

jessisima wrote:A second draft. Any suggestions welcome.

This is GREAT!
So clean and calming and ubiquitously funny.

oakenspirit

NICE!
Though Delaware should be yelling FIRST!
;)

JoshuaJSlone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoshuaJSlone

I first misread this derby as Vatican Slogan, so these vacation ones seem a bit tame in comparison.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
oakenspirit wrote:Thanks!

Yeah- illustrator is hard mode- I am going to be practicing a decent amount this week because I really don't know what I'm doing yet. The way it redraws your lines after you draw them is both awesome and irritating. I was pretty happy with what I came up with but I also ended up editing it in photoshop since I'm more comfortable there.

OH!
*puts a bucket of Sam Adams on ice beside the muffin tray...

Go go Monkey Island!

The stroke smoother is the only way I can get a clean line.

I looked up some tutes. Livepaint will be my savior when I get back to the art machine. Dealing with strokes exclusively is such a nightmare.

I also usually take it to Photoshop or GIMP afterward to do final edits.
(says the guy with nothing to show for all his bluster.)

ETA: Fidelity and smoothness set the amount of stroke smoothing
TMYK

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

emibrus1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emibrus1

Quick question!

I know the derby is limited to 6 colors but what if we use our chosen shirt color as part of the design (such as choosing a black shirt and using black outlines on the design)? Does that count toward the 6 colors? Or would using black -given that it's not simply a transparent area- be overlooked since the shirt is black?

I feel like this is a rule that could go either way so I wanted more experienced users to weigh in xD

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
emibrus1 wrote:Quick question!

I know the derby is limited to 6 colors but what if we use our chosen shirt color as part of the design (such as choosing a black shirt and using black outlines on the design)? Does that count toward the 6 colors? Or would using black -given that it's not simply a transparent area- be overlooked since the shirt is black?

I feel like this is a rule that could go either way so I wanted more experienced users to weigh in xD

The shirt color can be used as a 7th color. The color limitation is limited to actual ink.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
emibrus1 wrote:Quick question!

Using the shirt color is like a free 7th color.

emibrus1

Ahhh thanks to you both!

jessisima

oakenspirit wrote:This is GREAT!
So clean and calming and ubiquitously funny.

Thanks. A few more changes and I think it should be good!

jessisima

Spiritgreen wrote:@jessimma, looks great! PixelPants always gives good advice. :^)

THanks. Yeah those suggestions really helped alot.

emibrus1

Not sure which was harder...navigating the fonts to use or designing the swimsuit (then again I'm still a beginner haha) @_@ Here's to learning more tips and tricks from you guys!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Love it. Made me laugh all over.

I was gonna say that!

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:

WHOA DUDE! Spoilers!

;)

(-looks sharp-)

piwerx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages piwerx

What about a "Holiday in Cambodia" shirt?

mikeycooper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeycooper

Man, wish this had been #300. There are 6 or 7 in here that I want.

oakenspirit

mikeycooper wrote:Man, wish this had been #300. There are 6 or 7 in here that I want.

This is such a fun theme... I have like 3 more shirt I WANNA make but I am near certain it would be fruitless with the gold thats already out there... That's a sign that this was a great theme!

PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
oakenspirit wrote:This is such a fun theme...

More designs than normal have captured my imagination but I'm learning to leave late entries. It used to work, but with the low vote count there is less of a voting population to lift clever designs into the fog after the first day or so.
I think they should have placed a limit on the number of printable colours to get the cheap tourist shirt look. As much I'm liking a lot of them they seem to be designed for a different theme than the one we were given.

evyc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evyc

Just finished my first design for this site and the Derby is closed. DAMN YOU ALL. Maybe I can submit it to Threadless.