wolfblade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wolfblade

"if you dont evan know how to obey the rules and stuff"

I don't always evan but when I do, I evan while reading a Woot write up.

dangerhaus

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dangerhaus
hcschmidt wrote:I love rainbows as well, and try to wear my fat unicorn and shelf life shirt proudly. But it is hard not to feel a bit like people are going to judge you for it. Why did they have to take my rainbow!? It makes me want to run a "Keeping the rainbow straight" initiative lol. But I still really want this shirt no matter what anyone else thinks of me.

Here's my (extremely rare, thus collectable?) serious comment:
when I was a child growing up in (variously) Toronto, LA, Princeton, racism was part of the background (to be generous, WEans). Having a friend of colour included an awareness of that distinction. Now, in polyglot Toronto, my children (21 & 16) have friends who are just their friends, just people; and racism, though far from gone (denigrating "the other" is a part of being human), has receded much further, at least for most of their generation here.
Homophobia is a hydra...or maybe even a hydra humping another hydra. It encompasses fear of
A) homosexuals;
B) homosexuality;
C) being homosexual;
D) being perceived to be homosexual.
It is this last that is most insidious.
So if you like this shirt - for whatever reason - yet are leery of wearing for fear being thought queer...you are homophobic and are perpetuating homophobia, and you cannot rationalize your way out of that.

What you CAN do is grow a pair, and wear the shirt. Wear it because you like the shirt, and are unafraid. Wear it, remembering another recent shirt, "Alas, haters", which I purchased both for myself and my gay brother. Around a sketch of Shakespeare, it reads: Those who hate, shall hate henceforth.
You can't fix those people; but you can help them, and the world, by not giving in to their hatred.

the ha is silent - i'm laughing on the inside

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MathUhhhSaurus wrote:Is this shirt LeVar Burton approved? I can't buy it otherwise.

Looks like it:

https://twitter.com/levarburton/statuses/330305715149348865

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tigerfish313 wrote:Yes, I'm always waiting for that one to show up in a plus sale!

Why wait? You can buy it now through our digital print catalog.

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/illiterate-rainbow

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dangerhaus

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dangerhaus

The write up is a joke that never gets off the ground, lol. Seriously.

I get the shirt, but I'm not getting the shirt because I never watched be show; I was too busy reading, lol.
Seriously.

the ha is silent - i'm laughing on the inside

davvolun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davvolun

This is the version I can't get out of my head:

volta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages volta

So, is Crowned Heads of Europe and/or the artist going to donate some/all of the profits from this design to RIF, or is this shirt just good for nostalgic hipsters?

hcschmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcschmidt
dangerhaus wrote:Here's my (extremely rare, thus collectable?) serious comment:
when I was a child growing up in (variously) Toronto, LA, Princeton, racism was part of the background (to be generous, WEans). Having a friend of colour included an awareness of that distinction. Now, in polyglot Toronto, my children (21 & 16) have friends who are just their friends, just people; and racism, though far from gone (denigrating "the other" is a part of being human), has receded much further, at least for most of their generation here.
Homophobia is a hydra...or maybe even a hydra humping another hydra. It encompasses fear of
A) homosexuals;
B) homosexuality;
C) being homosexual;
D) being perceived to be homosexual.
It is this last that is most insidious.
So if you like this shirt - for whatever reason - yet are leery of wearing for fear being thought queer...you are homophobic and are perpetuating homophobia, and you cannot rationalize your way out of that.

What you CAN do is grow a pair, and wear the shirt. Wear it because you like the shirt, and are unafraid. Wear it, remembering another recent shirt, "Alas, haters", which I purchased both for myself and my gay brother. Around a sketch of Shakespeare, it reads: Those who hate, shall hate henceforth.
You can't fix those people; but you can help them, and the world, by not giving in to their hatred.

Wow that was a long reply. I meant nothing by what I said, I actually don't care what others think of me, which is why I wear my rainbow shirts every chance I get. I just find it sad that there are so many people that love these shirts but feel that they should not wear them because of what society has done to a simple, beautiful, and otherwise innocent graphic. The only reason I have for not buying this one instantly is my lack of moola. I would strongly encourage anyone to wear what they want no matter what others think, but that is because I have never tried to follow the crowds or give a dang about what the "cool kids" think. Unfortunately there are many who cannot handle that kind of judgement, and it is for them that I feel bad.

gunslingerfry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gunslingerfry

Read a book, read a book, read a mother $$%&* book. Read a book, read a book, read a mother $$%&* book. Water's good for you, so drink that *&%*.

Kiratomi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kiratomi

My first Instabuy in a looong time here at Woot. It's nice to see a great design. It's been a while.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Nice! Congrats on the print, Oneshoe. It's a fabulous design.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
truthbtold1331 wrote:Poor Indigo and Violet never get any love!

I thought the same thing, but then realized that's what it looks like on the actual show. What a shame!

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
davvolun wrote:This is the version I can't get out of my head:

HOLY COW, I can't stop laughing!!! Thank you soooo much for this!!!

mokita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mokita

I really hope they make this design into a bag. It would be perfect for all of my trips to the library. I tend to go in for one book and come out with an armful.

chubs191

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chubs191

This write-up has me itching for my red pen...

choergel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages choergel

Every time I think of Reading Rainbow, this pops into my head despite the fact I watched Reading Rainbow constantly as a tiny child.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet
aquaregia wrote:I was laughing AND cringing through the whole write-up, which was, of course, the point.

Me too! Epic. I came to shirt woot late today so by now I had fully expected someone to have a running tally of the number of errors (spelling and grammar) made in the "right-up" ;P

I love reading, I know that helped my grammar and vocabulary a lot. But I have to admit, I didn't grow up with Reading Rainbow. No idea about this shirt.

savagelizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages savagelizard

DO NOT buy from Another Fine Tee!

Took my money, never got my shirt, they have ignored several e-mails. There are a lot of great shirt sites out there, why deal with people who rip you off and ignore you?

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Reading and rainbows ftw! Congrats, oneshoe!

Mootsfox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mootsfox

Really wish it was available without words...

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

He's young. He's sexy. He isn't dead!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

suspenser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suspenser

Great shirt.. You should definitely make this in a different color shirt though, that baby blue is bright!

Purplecrayonmoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Purplecrayonmoon

This was an instabuy for me. I grew up watching Reading Rainbow. LaVar Burton is the most supercalafragalistic of all awesome people. So excited to get my tshirt in the mail.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 2m 13.998s
First Sucker: grimacetrail
Last Wooter to Woot: tws1999
Last Purchase: 4 hours ago

First day sales 2495
First day posts 62

As noted just now when I got home....

oneshoeoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oneshoeoff
TheGolux wrote:Speed to First Woot: 2m 13.998s
First Sucker: grimacetrail
Last Wooter to Woot: tws1999
Last Purchase: 4 hours ago

First day sales 2495
First day posts 62

As noted just now when I got home....

Thanks for all the kind comments, everybody. It was so much fun being on Woot today!

Jeff79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeff79

I cam across this, made me think of this shirt

http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/8-bit-reading-rainbow.swf

katskan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katskan

Haha, I thought of the exact same thing when I first saw this shirt!

sunnyb6442

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunnyb6442
mokita wrote:I really hope they make this design into a bag. It would be perfect for all of my trips to the library. I tend to go in for one book and come out with an armful.

Seconding that--I would love this in a bag!

MukYJ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MukYJ
sunnyb6442 wrote:Seconding that--I would love this in a bag!

It's nice having it in alternate formats, but you can always make it yourself (or find someone who can) if you really want to.

In my one and only Baldness on Curly I got a Reading Rocket shirt that was way too small for either myself or my wife, so she made it into a pillow that she uses in the reading corner of her preschool classroom.

seraphprowess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seraphprowess

Reading that description was super-painful. Oh, the English major in me...

krittikae

quality posts: 20 Private Messages krittikae
forestmaiden71 wrote:Woot...please hire me to edit your generally great posts. "alot" <- that makes me cry inside...

That's the point. It was meant to be terrible grammar.

krittikae

quality posts: 20 Private Messages krittikae
MathUhhhSaurus wrote:Is this shirt LeVar Burton approved? I can't buy it otherwise.

If I knew his address, I would mail a copy of this shirt to Mr. Burton. I'd like to think he has a marvelous sense of humor, and would appreciate the gesture.

emreynolds74

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emreynolds74

I can feel my inner rage building as I peruse the quippy post full of misspellings and grammer errors. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, punctuate Woot! Don't make me open a can of literary whoop-ass!
That's it... somebody hold my earrings while I take off my shoes...

emreynolds74

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emreynolds74
krittikae wrote:That's the point. It was meant to be terrible grammar.

and that's also the point... to make fun of herself making fun of the grammar.

AdamB5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AdamB5000

Well CRAP! I should have purchased this shirt!

valmat14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valmat14
AdamB5000 wrote:Well CRAP! I should have purchased this shirt!

Me too Does out of print mean they are no longer making them?

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

valmat14 wrote:Me too Does out of print mean they are no longer making them?

Unfortunately, yes it does mean that. Joel actually pointed this out to me when I was wearing this shirt a couple weeks ago.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

AdamB5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AdamB5000

If by some miracle this shirt comes back for a second round, count me in for one!

bdubs8807

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bdubs8807

Why is this shirt out of print? Does anybody know? Does anyone know if/when it might come back? For that matter, does anybody want to sell/trade their gently used MXL of this shirt to me? Please RSVP, thanks!

Does anybody have a http://shirt.woot.com/offers/cloak-of-visibility-lightweight-hoodie and/or http://shirt.woot.com/offers/who-needs-gravity-zip-up-hoodie in MXL that they don't want and/or need to sell? I would LOVE to buy it from you! I am currently offering $40+S&H for either one new, and $20-30+S&H for either one used! Please contact me ASAP, thanks!
B. D. Walton
P.S.: Reckon Nevermore!

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

bdubs8807 wrote:Why is this shirt out of print? Does anybody know? Does anyone know if/when it might come back? For that matter, does anybody want to sell/trade their gently used MXL of this shirt to me? Please RSVP, thanks!

From what I heard, it sounded like PBS got involved and didn't want the shirt printed anymore.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.