+ Add a Comment

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
thumperchick wrote:Now we have to hope the shirt designs are popular, too.

That's the wild card, isn't it?

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

edz321

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edz321

Ha! I was just telling my girlfriend that I was DONE with buying shirts on woot! because of the poor quality of the Anvil blanks. They feel cheap and they don't fit correctly and THE NECK HOLE IS TOO BIG! It looks all stretched out after only 1 washing. For the extra buck, though, I'll give woot! one more chance.

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
kylerjaye wrote:size question. looking at the charts it appears that if i was a woman's large for an anvil, the xl in AA will still be too small??

any input on the ladies sizing??
thanks!

Really, if you like the way your women's Anvil shirts fit, don't try to buy AA. The women's shirts between the brands are 100% different, completely different cut and style.

But, in general, AA follows a slim cut through the whole shirt, through the shoulders, belly and sleeves. The Anvils bell out at the bottom and flare out at the sleeves. So, it is totally possible that you will find the AA WXL too small if you wear Anvil WL.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
lactoholic wrote:Hi,

How slim-fit are the AA's? I looked at the sizing chart and the width is indicated as being the same. I like a loose t-shirt (and so far woot's been fine there) but I also like long t-shirts. Should I order a size extra or would that be going too far?

Thanks.

For men's, the width is the same; the length is the difference. AA shirts start out longer and shrink less, especially if you use the dryer. My experience for a men's size large ...

AA, spec - 30-3/8"
AA, line dried - 30-1/8"
Anvil, spec - 30"
AA, dryer dried - 29-1/2"
Anvil, line dried - 29-1/4"
Anvil, dryer dried - 27"

For women's, the sizing is drastically different. This thread may be of greater help.

goldenthorn wrote:Niiiiiiiiiice. And here I had just about succeeded in convincing myself that 5 dozen or so tshirts were more than enough for a lifetime. Now here's to hoping you print a bunch of designs I like during this experiment. Thank you so much, woot, for doing this!

Replace "5 dozen" with ... oh, nevermind.

WootBot wrote:You guys wouldn't happen to have any opinions about this particular issue, would you? Let fly in the forums below. And enjoy the choice while it lasts, because it won't last long.

Me? Opinions on shirt blanks? NEVER!

I just hope this temporary measure is truly long enough to gauge and pull back in some of the old customers lost after the change.

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519

This is a great step, and thanks Woot for offering this option. It would be even better if it was also an option for shirts in the Reckoning/Top 20, but this is a good first step.

As others have said, the AA shirts are longer and shrink less, thus are easier for tall guys to wear without having our belly stick out when we lift our arms.

Thanks.

emminova

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emminova

I am very excited about this! I felt like when the shirts switched to just Anvil, I couldn't buy them anymore. Even the small wasn't small enough. Also, the women's shirts lacked that women's fit that AA offers. I felt like Anvil women's shirts were just smaller boy shirts. Please keep this up. Yay! I feel like I can buy woot shirts again!

Narfcake

firebirdude wrote:And I'm SHOCKED anyone would prefer the Anvils over AA.

If you look at the two threads, there are folks who do prefer the looser neck hole and women who prefer the cut. And there are folks who couldn't care less about it and the only part that matters is their wallet.

Buffbill_ox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buffbill_ox

I have 50 of the aa shirts and only 2 of the Anvil. I stopped buying when you made the change. Thank you for bringing them back…. Even if for only a limited time.

Emerson iTone iPod Docking Station - Woot Cellars Polyphemus - 9 Random Craps! - Nike Nano Armband - 3 Monkeys - Emergency Roadside Kits - Bacon Salt - Flashing woot off lights - Tons of woot shirts

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
kylerjaye wrote:size question. looking at the charts it appears that if i was a woman's large for an anvil, the xl in AA will still be too small??

thanks!

I wear a WL in Anvil, but a MM in AA. And even that is tighter-fitting than the WL.

AA shirts fit beautifully for a lot of people, but sadly, I'm not one of them. If I were buying today's shirt, I'd buy a MM in AA just to support the option. I wish I could get the Anvil fit on an AA quality shirt. But, that might just be my opinion.

And to anyone else wondering, if you fit into one size in Anvil, buy at least one size up in AA, maybe 2, depending on how form-fitting you like your shirts. I'm 42, and while I'm happy being the answer to the question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, I don't always want to wear form-fitting shirts. They look great on my teens, though.

Angelente

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Angelente

Anvil for me. I buy a Women's medium and the fit is much more flattering. The AAs had too little room in the bust and too much room at the waist.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

There is never going to be a universal love for either option. There are too many body types out there. People that are really tall complain the Anvil shirts are too short. People that are really short complain that the AA shirts are too long. People that are super skinny complain that the Anvil shirts are too wide and frumpy. People that have more meat on their bones and lots of curves complain that the AA shirts are too small, tight, and form-fitting.
And apparently most people don't understand this and get all huffy and confused as to why people complain about the fit of the shirts.
Me, personally, I prefer the Anvil shirts because I can actually buy a women's size shirt. The AA shirts at their largest size are still too small and tight for me. The Anvil shirts, while a little odd in their shape, at least allow me to not have a men's neckline choking me, hugging my hips too tight and being too long like the AA ones do when I wear them (and if I go a size larger, then the neckline still annoys me, they are even longer, and I look even frumpier as it is now too baggy but at least doesn't squeeze my hips to death).
So, yeah. That's all I have to say about that.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

scorpshockey

quality posts: 7 Private Messages scorpshockey

American Apparel all the way. I bought Anvil randoms during the last wootoff and was a little disappointed in the quality. I'd gladly pay extra for the AA option and be more interested in the dailies if it sticks around!

sharktopus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharktopus

Excellent idea. Now if only American Apparel would switch to a non-skinny-hipster sizing scheme all would be well in the world.

Y'know, except for all the wars and famines and Michael Bay movies...

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Time to put your money where your mouth is peeps. I hope to see a few designs I like enough to buy on AA so I can support that option.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Narfcake

rehta wrote:There is never going to be a universal love for either option. There are too many body types out there.

This.

In a perfect world, Woot would offer every shirt on any blank in any color, with fluffy clouds, rainbows, and unicorns. But the world isn't like that, and the clouds here are ticklish and harfs rainbows so unicorns can eat them.

Oh, and afterwards, we eat the unicorn too.

What was I saying? Choices. Good. Thanks, Woot.

wvutkep1002

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wvutkep1002

as others have said, this is a great first step. Now we need the catalog to be available in AA and I will place an order. I lost some weight (yay!) and need replacement of my old favorites in a smaller size! (hint, hint, there is money left on the table)

I just keep buying more and more crap...

oscaroni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oscaroni

I have only bought one shirt since August 2012. Prior to that, I bought literally dozens of shirts. I was very disappointed in the new shirts and always liked the fit of the USA made shirts. The new ones seemed baggy, even though I buy a men's small. I am glad to have the opportunity to buy US made clothing and hope to see it make a comeback.

Thanks woot!

nerdbynight1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdbynight1

Yay! You will once again get business from me. $1 more is a bargain and I'm glad to hear that our [many] pleas didn't fall upon deaf ears. Thanks a lot for listening to your community, Woot!

exillinimj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exillinimj

FINALLY! Big proponent of the AA shirts. The Anvil shirts are generally OK except the neck holes s-t-r-e-c-h out way too much.

collinvh

quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh

Everything about this is awesome except "limited time" I'm really hoping this ends up being a permanent. Thanks woot!

Narfcake

exillinimj wrote:... The Anvil shirts are generally OK except the neck holes s-t-r-e-c-h out way too much.

Here's what I've done to make them "acceptable" ...

collinvh wrote:Everything about this is awesome except "limited time" I'm really hoping this ends up being a permanent. Thanks woot!

If there are enough takers, I would imagine so. Still, I hope they give this trial run enough time to recoup some of the Wooters who had left since the change ...

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

Woohoo! My wallet is now open. It's still not clear whether first day Derby winners will be printed on AA as well.

Hope this experiment works out to all of our favor and they decide to keep AA around.

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester
Narfcake wrote:This.

In a perfect world, Woot would offer every shirt on any blank in any color, with fluffy clouds, rainbows, and unicorns. But the world isn't like that, and the clouds here are ticklish and harfs rainbows so unicorns can eat them.

Oh, and afterwards, we eat the unicorn too.

What was I saying? Choices. Good. Thanks, Woot.

Now this, this comment here is the very definition of a quality post.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
thatrobert wrote:It's still not clear whether first day Derby winners will be printed on AA as well.

Methinks the recent restrictions on derby colors is to accommodate this new development.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

jlc40

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jlc40

YESSSSSSS.

As someone with an entire bigarse drawer devoted to Woot! tees, I have definitely bought less from Shirt.Woot since the switch to Anvil. I've found that the Anvil shirts balloon weirdly around my midsection despite my figure being far from Twiggy-esque. Also, they seem to wrinkle more easily, possibly due to all the billowing they do. Definitely willing to put in an extra buck for a shirt I can wear outside the house without feeling slobbish!

christyvaught

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christyvaught

If I am able to buy the designs on AA blanks, I will go back to buying shirts from here again. I stopped when they switched because the anvils are oddly sized and low quality. Thanks for the option.

astreya04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astreya04

thanks!

The XL AA will absolutely be too small. I am also a L in Anvil and before the switch was buying the AA XL shirts(at the time I was about an Anvil Medium). I can't even fit into my old AA XL shirts anymore. Although, my older shirts did shrink from their original sizes when I washed and dried them because I didn't know better then.

As for the Anvil shirts, I've never had a problem with the neck hole stretching or curling. I'm not really sure how that would happen and I wash and dry mine fairly regularly. But I'm glad that the people who love AA get to have their cake and eat it too. I'm sticking with Anvil because I prefer buying shirts that I can actually wear, though I admit that I do kind of miss the fit of the Women's AA shirt when they did fit.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
thatrobert wrote:It's still not clear whether first day Derby winners will be printed on AA as well.

The little blurb for the blog post on the front page says

"But for the next little while, we'll offer each day's featured design on your choice of Anvil or American Apparel."

I don't think they meant "daily" like the specific woot chosen non-derby shirt, but more generally as "shirt of the day" daily.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

thesnarticus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesnarticus

This is awesome, and I couldn't have asked for a better shirt to resume my slight shirt obsession with! I even voted in the derby, something I haven't done since they didn't have shirts to fit me anymore. AA is great for my oddly long torso.

So I say even if it's not the shirt for you, show support by bringing the derby votes up!

mvinicky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvinicky
The Tim wrote:I have bought dozens of Woot shirts, but only one (for myself) since the switch to Anvil, and I was disappointed in the quality. The stitching wasn't straight, the material felt thinner, and the collar curled after a single wash.

Having American Apparel back as an option (even at a $1 premium) might be enough to get me to buy some shirts here again.

Kudos.

I agree completely with this, 100%.

Also, Thank you as always Woot for being so concerned for your customers. It is one of the reasons I love buying things from you guys. =)

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin

BEST DAY EVARRRR!! Haha for real! yay.

AJLo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AJLo
pvtrounstine wrote:Would you elaborate? I have really liked the Anvil shirts, but you see, a Grim Optimism replacement is seriously overdue for me. The shirt color, the 2nd run coloring, what? What I would REALLY love is for the design to be split on a zipper hoodie, and I have suggested it.

Nothing complicated... I just didn't like the feel of the Anvil shirts, and at $12 it didn't seem like a great value compared to what I can get around town.

dabookworm18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabookworm18

thanks!

The AA is a very slim fit. I order the XL in anvil and it's slightly looser but still fitted (my dress size is a 16-18 BTW). I order the XL in AA and I can fit into if I don't my mind shirt looking painted on.

ne31097

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ne31097

Can someone please tell me if the American Apparel Size 4 or 6 shirts are longer than Anvil? I bought a couple of Anvil shirts recently and they stop at my son's belly button. At the same time they are wide enough for two kids!!! The shape of those shirts are nothing like human. I hate those shirts. HATE THEM!!

Anyway, is American Apparel any better?

KimNicole

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KimNicole
alexmg2420 wrote:Hey mods/purchasers, I've got a little input on the Anvil vs. AA debate! I am a pretty large guy, yet I prefer the so-called "slim-fitting" AA shirts better. I wear a 3X in both AA and Anvil, but the thing I like best about the AA shirts is that AA shirts are a fair bit longer!

This is also true for the ladies.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
ne31097 wrote:Can someone please tell me if the American Apparel Size 4 or 6 shirts are longer than Anvil? I bought a couple of Anvil shirts recently and they stop at my son's belly button. At the same time they are wide enough for two kids!!! The shape of those shirts are nothing like human. I hate those shirts. HATE THEM!!

very much so.

Front Length
____AA_________Anvil
K4 18"__________16"
K6 19-1/8"_______17"

Factor in shrinkage and it's a runaway.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

Narfcake

ne31097 wrote:Can someone please tell me if the American Apparel Size 4 or 6 shirts are longer than Anvil?...
... Anyway, is American Apparel any better?

Yes.

By the specs,
Anvil K4 - 13" width/16" length
Anvil K6 - 14" width/17" length

AA K4 - 13-1/2" width/18" length
AA K6 - 14" width/19" length

Additionally, I've found [men's size] AA shirts to shrink MUCH less than the Anvil, which I've found to lose 10% in length after a couple trips through the dryer. Even line-dried, the Anvil shirts end up shorter than dryer-dried AA shirts ... and these are the most comparable of the shirt sizing.

j5 wrote:Curious.
I wonder if the reason to stick to first day is one of logistics or one of statistics?

Logistics. The way I envision Woot's production:

- Shirt goes up at midnight.
- Gauge demand.
- Burn screens.
- Setup screens/ink/etc.
- Start printing ...

The easiest time to offer this additional option is after the screens are setup already. They're mounted, they're aligned (hopefully), the ink is loaded (hopefully) - all that needs to be done is to load the shirts (preferably centered). It won't matter what brand the blank is, as the machine will lay the ink down the same way no matter what.

- Reset and repeat for additional screen sizes (kids/womens).
- Pack and ship out overnight orders first, then the rest. Excess inventory goes on the shelves for reckoning sales.

All of this happens before the day is up, and because of that, it will not be cost effective to offer the option after the debut day. Such would either be done one-off on the DTG or they'd be setting back up the screens for a few prints, neither being as cost effective as if it was screen printed on day #1.

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
j5 wrote:Methinks the recent restrictions on derby colors is to accommodate this new development.

That was my thought. I wondered what was up with the color restrictions, but this move makes sense - they wouldn't have to stock a ton of extra shirts, just the ones they're using to test out this model.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

ne31097 wrote:Can someone please tell me if the American Apparel Size 4 or 6 shirts are longer than Anvil? I bought a couple of Anvil shirts recently and they stop at my son's belly button. At the same time they are wide enough for two kids!!! The shape of those shirts are nothing like human. I hate those shirts. HATE THEM!!

Oh, yes, they are much, much better! They are longer, the collars are narrower, the cotton is so much softer, and the fit is much more realistic and comfortable for a child. I used to buy the woot AA shirts for my cousins and they were much loved, much worn, and very well-fitting. The major thing of which to be aware with the AA kids' shirts is that one should size up, as they run small. So if your child is normally a 4 then purchase a 6 in AA, if a 6 then an 8, and so on.

tpohlman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpohlman

Guess I'll be checking woot daily again. (for a limited time)