itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
blackbirdps3 wrote:I would like to see a response from woot on this. They reject simple silhouettes of other characters in the derbies, yet this and other legal infringements are okay. ?

etherium wrote:In regards to IP rights, does Woot pay licensing fees for all the copyrighted characters they make shirts of? It really seems questionable how many copyrighted characters/concepts are blatantly used to generate profits for Woot. Are licensing fees paid?

The first rule of posting to complain? Read the thread. Already answered, well before you asked.

Also etherium, if you want to really see a lot of that, look at Teefury, it's all they do.

JadenKale wrote:Woot holds different rules in place for dailies vs derby entries. They have the time to research and get the okay to run a daily (case and point, I've had an daily take about 3 months before I was informed it would be printed). Whereas, a derby print needs to be ready to go by week's end. If it possibly violates copyright or other such rules, they don't have the time to research it.

And when the rare instance of a stolen design IS discovered, despite woot's research, they have removed it, and run a random tee sale instead.

doomtothee wrote:"To be sure, the requisite level of creativity is extremely low; even a slight amount will suffice. The vast majority of works make the grade quite easily, as they possess some creative spark"

As long as there is proof of a creative spark you are protected. It's all about what will hold up in court. Andy Warhol painted soup can labels. You could draw a silly nose on the Mona Lisa and argue your case for it.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/499_US_340.htm

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
Tracid wrote:Why does American apparel cost more than Anvil?

it's a better product.

that was fun while it lasted!

Narfcake

quality posts: 281 Private Messages Narfcake
theycallmemrdo wrote:Is the quality of the material/ lasting better on American Appeal.
and are they sized or shrinked differently because i have always bought size medium clothings on woot so i need help on what to get.

Quality - There are many posts which suggests one way or another.

Sizing - READ the sizing charts before ordering. Yes, there are differences, especially for the women and kids sizes.

Shrinking - there are differences here too. YMMV, but multiple Wooters have commented that Anvil shirts lose about 10% in length after a trip through the dryer, and I personally experienced them shrinking a good bit even when line dried.

Recommendation - when was the last time you bought a shirt here? Read the tag - if the ones you've been buying says 'made in the USA' and you like the way they fit, then purchase American Apparel. If it says 'made in Honduras', 'made in Nicaragua', or 'made in Bangladesh' and you like the way they fit, then purchase Anvil.

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight
auctionsaver wrote:
This is not for education use. It is not for political satire. It is not a protest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music_Inc

Thank you, I'm here all week.

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

highvolt82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highvolt82
PapaMidnight wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music_Inc

Thank you, I'm here all week.

"(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole"

Which is one of the main reasons that case went the way it did. The song was quite different lyrically from the one it was parodying.

In this case, it's an exact copy of the character, except it's holding a tissue.

Cool design regardless.

thormj

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thormj
auctionsaver wrote:Clearly, this is copyright infringement. I really like the shirt, but you can't do this without being sued. It would be one thing if this was a small company noone cared about, BUT you are infringing on a PATENTED, COPYRIGHTED image from a multibillion dollar company (Nintendo) by a multimillion dollar company (WOOT) owned by a Multibillion dollar company (AMAZON).

Do yourself a favor and remove it.

I know people are going to say it who cares, but as an software developer, I agree with it.

This does NOT fall under fair use unless you are suggesting that woot, the producer of this shirt, has rented the rights to use the original pikachu image.

Sorry.

Explain why not satire? It sounds pretty comical and has a creative spark that somewhat insults the original work...

Indeed, I think it's pretty similar to This Is True's http://www.getoutofhellfree.com/ cards.

I thought it is a fitting tribute to the woot staffers that are leaving as well....

zfactor

quality posts: 10 Private Messages zfactor

imo the american apparel shirts are FAR better quality overall. i have some woot shirts from more than 3 years ago that i can can still wear. the anvils barely fit after one dry i stopped buying many woot shirts when they changed now that i can buy american ap again i have started buying woot shirts again. huge difference imo

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

Ok Imma throw my hat into this. This image was drawn well before Alex did his and it covers the same exact subject and action.

Scroll down slightly
http://screenhog.com/blog/tag/send-me-an-idea/

Now does this mean that Alex stole the idea that was done at least a year before his? No, I don't think so and here's why. This is a very COMMON idea. My friends and I made reference to Pikachooo near the beginning of the series all those years ago when all the little kids were getting seizures from watching Pokemom. Alex is an amazing artist but this is a case of common ideas being thought of by multiple people in slightly different ways.

Now is this infringing on Pokemon. My gut says yes. Unlike the Binge where Cookie Monster is in a situation that Henson NEVER would have put him in, making a statement on gluttony and excess in our society from childhood onward, this is just a straight up representation of a character doing something that isn't really parody and that the character HAS done before in the series when it's got a cold (I can find said episodes if pressed).

Woot is the ultimate decider on if it wants to offer something on their site. It's their necks on the line not anyone else's. The reason sites like teefury get away with it is that by the time any legal action comes to bare the days over and the offending item has already been removed. They also get covered by the sometimes too generous to the offender digital millennial copy right act. Woot has a bigger liability because they will have it on offer for a much longer time period where cease and desists can be given and legal action threatened.

Alex I think you're a great artist and I love your style but I personally don't think this is parody. Just my two cents.

tjost

Just to clarify, I just saw in the front page scroll I got my comment listed, I did not make or claim to have made the pikachu image posted in my comment. Just was using it as a reference.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars
alexmdc wrote:Where's Ted Healy? ...

Given the postings about the shirt's originality, I was amused that the woot filter changed alexmdc's comment of 'double you tee eff ...' to "Where's Ted Healy? ..."
Ted was the creator of the Three Stooges act.

Healy first appears around 55 seconds ...

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

alexmdc

quality posts: 8 Private Messages alexmdc

I can tell you guys for sure I never seen that other doodle before, I initially did it for fun, I actually didnt think it would print because of copyright reasons even tho I changed it and drew a version of it myself, it was just an idea I had and wanted to draw it before I forgot about it.

The idea is simple I don't think it's necessarily impossible for someone a bunch of people to come up with it, but like the first one it's def a traced of the one I did.

I think if woot feels it was enough to avoid copyrights and wanted to print it, then even more awesome, at the same time I have learned over the years it's impossible to please everyone.

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

Just caught this - don't know if anyone really watches this anymore though...

Speed to First Woot:
1m 51.770s

First Sucker:
sydneyasu

Last Wooter to Woot:
harpertrujillo

Last Purchase:
37 minutes ago

Order Pace (rank):
Top 47% of Shirt Woots
Top 25% of all Woots

Woots Sold:

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

tjost

arryielle wrote:Just caught this - don't know if anyone really watches this anymore though...

Speed to First Woot:
1m 51.770s

First Sucker:
sydneyasu

Last Wooter to Woot:
harpertrujillo

Last Purchase:
37 minutes ago

Order Pace (rank):
Top 47% of Shirt Woots
Top 25% of all Woots

Woots Sold:

We watch..... o__o

shaynebabe2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaynebabe2009

Please, please, please, bring this back! I JUST saw it yesterday and didn't have my paycheck yet!!! I have 23-ish pikachu shirts. I NEED THIS ONE TOOO!!! Y.Y!

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

Yeah. I saw this one being pulled.

jackwells2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackwells2
auctionsaver wrote:It would be one thing if this was a small company noone cared about, BUT you are infringing on a PATENTED, COPYRIGHTED image from a multibillion dollar company (Nintendo) by a multimillion dollar company (WOOT) owned by a Multibillion dollar company (AMAZON).

You can't patent an image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent

Even if you could nobody would. Patents are a long drawn out process. Images, slogans, videos, logos, written works, etc are best protected via trademark or copyright. Inventions and processes are protected via patents

sydneyasu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sydneyasu

so with this apparently being pulled, do the shirts still get sold or is it refunded? I finally saw one I wanted on AA (I have been waiting MONTHS for the return, so happy!!) and this was my first time being first sucker... really wanted the shirt!

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
sydneyasu wrote:so with this apparently being pulled, do the shirts still get sold or is it refunded? I finally saw one I wanted on AA (I have been waiting MONTHS for the return, so happy!!) and this was my first time being first sucker... really wanted the shirt!

Well, when this happened with Xenophile, they SAID that all previous orders would be printed and shipped, but I waited about 2 weeks for my email that said mine were shipped, only to get another email later that day that said I would not be getting my shirts, just a refund. So, basically, even if they say they'll get it to you, don't count on it until you actually get the shirts.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sydneyasu wrote:so with this apparently being pulled, do the shirts still get sold or is it refunded? I finally saw one I wanted on AA (I have been waiting MONTHS for the return, so happy!!) and this was my first time being first sucker... really wanted the shirt!

Not sure what the scenario is here, but if you're concerned with your order please write into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and inquire. I'm sure they'll be able to answer any questions or concerns you might have with your order.

k9sar

quality posts: 5 Private Messages k9sar

so is this available or not? The picture says no but it seems to still allow you to fill out the size and quantity and place an order. I have a bigtime fan who would love this.

Golddess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Golddess

You probably already have your answer (since First Sucker implies you bought it the day it was introduced), but for everyone else, I too bought it the day it was introduced, and got it yesterday. However, I have no idea what would happen if you tried to buy it now...

arryielle

Golddess wrote:You probably already have your answer (since First Sucker implies you bought it the day it was introduced), but for everyone else, I too bought it the day it was introduced, and got it yesterday. However, I have no idea what would happen if you tried to buy it now...

Did you order it on AA or Anvil? I got the email in the afternoon/evening on the day I bought it (I bought it around 11am the day it came out) saying that it had shipped already, but FedEx hasn't updated it at all and still only shows that they received the shipping info. I bought it on AA and I'm really hoping that it actually *did* ship like it says!

Golddess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Golddess
arryielle wrote:Did you order it on AA or Anvil? I got the email in the afternoon/evening on the day I bought it (I bought it around 11am the day it came out) saying that it had shipped already, but FedEx hasn't updated it at all and still only shows that they received the shipping info. I bought it on AA and I'm really hoping that it actually *did* ship like it says!

Anvil :/

ldvaughn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ldvaughn

Is this shirt ever going to be available again? Or is it perma-gone

This shirt is perfect for me!

spellshock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spellshock

Same here. I ordered an AA print and it's "shipped" but hasn't moved.

arryielle wrote:Did you order it on AA or Anvil? I got the email in the afternoon/evening on the day I bought it (I bought it around 11am the day it came out) saying that it had shipped already, but FedEx hasn't updated it at all and still only shows that they received the shipping info. I bought it on AA and I'm really hoping that it actually *did* ship like it says!

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

My AA version (yay!) came a couple of days ago. I bought a copy as an apology to the artist (see first page) and am glad that I did. It looks amazing in person!

that was fun while it lasted!

arryielle

bpr2 wrote:My AA version (yay!) came a couple of days ago. I bought a copy as an apology to the artist (see first page) and am glad that I did. It looks amazing in person!

Well, I'm glad that both AA and Anvil have been shipped *and* arrived, but mine still shows as having received shipping information, but nothing else. Here's to hoping FedEx's website is just slow to update!

Edit: mine now shows as having left the shipping facility and is estimated to arrive on next Tuesday!

Edit 2: it came in on May 28th - yay!

sydneyasu

Golddess wrote:You probably already have your answer (since First Sucker implies you bought it the day it was introduced), but for everyone else, I too bought it the day it was introduced, and got it yesterday. However, I have no idea what would happen if you tried to buy it now...

I got mine today! so happy, love the AA fit and feel, it has been so long since a new shirt for me... hooray!

bendb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bendb

Shipping information for my AA shirt was sent to FedEx last Saturday, but the shirt did not ship until yesterday (Wednesday) evening.

I'm happy it did ship, I was worried there for a bit!

missredass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages missredass

I ordered this one along with a couple others, two arrived today, but this one wasn't in there

All three are Anvil, and I never got a separate tracking number for the order...

Thanks and Gig'em.

ninjahawkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjahawkins

I ordered mine day one and haven't received it yet. It says it shipped and I got tracking information on the order but the tracker shows it hasn't moved for a couple of days... Estimated delivery is Tuesday the 28th.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ninjahawkins wrote:I ordered mine day one and haven't received it yet. It says it shipped and I got tracking information on the order but the tracker shows it hasn't moved for a couple of days... Estimated delivery is Tuesday the 28th.

It's normal for tracking to initiate a day or two before the item is released to the shipper. Hang tight.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ninjahawkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjahawkins

Just got it in today! So glad I was able to get one before it was pulled

hannahrudkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannahrudkin

Is there any way of getting this shirt??? Please bring it back!!! Birthday in need of present!

spellshock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spellshock

Did anyone elses shirt have a reddish tone on the pikachu edges? It's a bit more red than I was expecting.

AA print here.

sydneyasu

spellshock wrote:Did anyone elses shirt have a reddish tone on the pikachu edges? It's a bit more red than I was expecting.

AA print here.

Yep, the shading around the edges looked weird and I did come back to check the posted image and see if it was really supposed to look like that LOL.

nanaki3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanaki3
hannahrudkin wrote:Is there any way of getting this shirt??? Please bring it back!!! Birthday in need of present!

I got it in an AA mens small and it turns out I liked it more on the screen than I do on the shirt. If the size works for you, let me know.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 10 Private Messages MommaBeary

YAY!!! We got ours yesterday (and both of my sons wore them today). I thought my eldest was going to explode from sheer excitment.