jako800

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jako800
Lt. Dan wrote:This is in bad taste. Does anyone really think a shirt even playfully poking fun at a major tenet of Islam or Judaism would be allowed? As a Catholic Christian I can take a respectful joke about my faith, but I can't help but think that if something similar was attempted with another faith, it wouldn't have been for sale here. Who thinks that if Muhammad was depicted here as an animal, even with the most innocent of intentions, that Woot would even consider it? Not looking for special treatment, just equal.

As a Catholic I completely agree with Lt. Dan.

- jako800

charwoman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages charwoman
emmaekay wrote:I don't see anything offensive about this. Now, the zombie recreation of The Last Supper where they're eating the body of Christ? That's pretty offensive. This is an homage, an innocent parody that injures none and doesn't portray Christianity or Christ in a negative way. It's just some cats, ya'll.

For the record, I was raised Catholic, abstained from religion for several years and am now a practicing Buddhist. For those that asked "if this was Muhammad..." I have a question for you: if this t-shirt had a fat cat in a robe, sitting in the lotus pose, would you be so riled up about my religion being mocked? Buddhism is the 4th largest religion in the world, but our symbolism and imagery are used and parodied constantly. The difference is... most of us couldn't care less. I have never met a fellow Buddhist offended by the Hello Kitty Buddha, the thousands of nonpracticing people who have Ohm tattooed on their back or the dozens of other bastardizations of our religion.

This shirt design is a parody of one of the most famous paintings in the world. There are many parodies of this painting, along with the Cistine Chapel paintings and tons of other Christian relics. These images are part of our culture as a whole, not just your religion, and are thus subject to critique and parody - like any other widely referenced or recognized imagery in our culture.

TL;DR: get over it, your religion is not special and you need to take yourselves a little less seriously.

Well said, thank you.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Today's Offended Party is everybody who's making me work any harder than I want to on an otherwise very nice Saturday.

I had to delete a couple of comments. Let's try to keep the discussion focused on the product at hand and not THE WHOLE OF RELIGION AND THE WORLD AROUND US.

But we are sorry if we've caused anyone any offense. We would never intentionally do that.

Now then. Let's all just take a breath and get on with our weekend.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

nathandmay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathandmay

Christian here. I'm not really offended since the truth can stand on its own and since freedom of expression is encouraged and allowed. However, I do think it crosses some lines that replace the intended humor with some sour milk.

dustofsnow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustofsnow
emmaekay wrote:I don't see anything offensive about this. Now, the zombie recreation of The Last Supper where they're eating the body of Christ? That's pretty offensive. This is an homage, an innocent parody that injures none and doesn't portray Christianity or Christ in a negative way. It's just some cats, ya'll.

For the record, I was raised Catholic, abstained from religion for several years and am now a practicing Buddhist. For those that asked "if this was Muhammad..." I have a question for you: if this t-shirt had a fat cat in a robe, sitting in the lotus pose, would you be so riled up about my religion being mocked? Buddhism is the 4th largest religion in the world, but our symbolism and imagery are used and parodied constantly. The difference is... most of us couldn't care less. I have never met a fellow Buddhist offended by the Hello Kitty Buddha, the thousands of nonpracticing people who have Ohm tattooed on their back or the dozens of other bastardizations of our religion.

This shirt design is a parody of one of the most famous paintings in the world. There are many parodies of this painting, along with the Cistine Chapel paintings and tons of other Christian relics. These images are part of our culture as a whole, not just your religion, and are thus subject to critique and parody - like any other widely referenced or recognized imagery in our culture.

TL;DR: get over it, your religion is not special and you need to take yourselves a little less seriously.

Every artistic representation of something considered to be sacred will never live up to the actual event being depicted. It will always fall short and some may find this offensive. Even God said to make no images of Him since no image could ever begin capture Him (and that was for the person who quoted Matthew). However, this doesn't mean that the representation was meant as an offense. DaVinci's painting pays homage and also tried to honor and respect a moment which is the best any artist can do regarding any moment. Walmazan is here poking fun (a form of paying homage) at DaVinci and thereby poking fun at what DaVinci was trying to honor whether that was Walmazan's intention or not. But Walmazan does it (from my perspective of his choice of symbols) without honor and respect to this moment(The Lord's Supper). Whether some/all images belong to popular culture or not is inconseqential. Whether buddhists laugh/not laugh at a cat buddha is also inconsequential. Of course my faith is special because it is special to me. It is special for everyone too but that is also my belief.

So now we're on to humor. A lot of humor is funny ... or offensive. It depends greatly on who you are and also on the moment. A satire of a funeral at a funeral might be appropriately funny or offensive depending on what type of funeral you go to even if you're a close relative of the deceased. So as humor is personal, you are free to find this funny as I am free to find this offensive. As for lightening up, that's a matter of our relationship in sharing this space. You're laughing in the same room as someone who is offended and this makes you at the very least uncomfortable and at most annoyed enough to ask "What's his problem?". So you get annoyed at the guy who won't laugh and tell him to, "lighten up, his religion is not special." In this space we share, we are also free. You are free to laugh away and enjoy and I am free to think that it is at least questionable and at most wrong to depict the Lord's Supper in this way.

iupunisher

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iupunisher

I have a feeling that the majority of the people offended by this (if not all of them) have no idea when Da Vinci painted "The Last Supper", what the painting is about, and why he painted it in the first place. At least 50% of the people probably think it was done in person and treat it as a photograph.

And to the person that was saying how dare you push your views on me by telling me I should not be offended by this, guess what, you are ignorant or a hypocrite.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

Oy. Christian here: Born again, not Catholic, so maybe that distinction is why nothing about this shirt offends me. In fact the Renaissance paintings themselves do more to "offend" my spiritual beliefs than this shirt. The Renaissance painting are the artists' interpretation of religious figures and events, the reality of the Last Supper and even Jesus himself is likely very much different from the way they were often painted in the idealized romanticized Renaissance catholic church view. Plus God made kitties. I think God quite likes kitties.

To those who are offended, best solution: don't buy the shirt. But to suggest that such a shirt shouldn't be made just because it's considered offensive to some, that's getting kinda pushy there.

lostnightsoul

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul

Given I'm not religious, I find this funny, and ultra cute. I think any kind of blasphemy can be tolerated as long as it's cute. I love basement cat.

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee

@Walmazan :
Great design. It makes me smile.
I would buy the shirt , but sadly the color of the shirt wouldn't work w/ my coloring. bummer. I think it's a great take-off of Da Vinci 's work.

Kitties = Love
Jesus= Love
It's all good !
Peace out Wootizens.

Stobor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stobor

For what it is worth, the painting that this is based on is also an inaccurate depiction of this sacred scene.

Ask yourself what part of the world the Last Supper was supposed to have taken place. Then take a look at the original painting and tell me if you think that the people depicted are an accurate account of the people who are native to that area.

In short, Jesus and the disciples were not cats, nor were they European. Frankly, I find cats to be much less offensive than the whitewashing of history.

pastrami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pastrami

Does this mean to say that cats are more divine? As a dog lover, I am thoroughly offended. Or am I mistaken in that this was also the time when Jesus revealed that he knew the future and announced that one of you will betray me. Which could mean that cats are not to be trusted. So as a cat lover, I'm doubly offended!

But kidding aside, I'm glad this is not printed on AA blanks. Count me in, +1 for sexual harassment free shirts.

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10

I can't imagine walking around in this shirt, knowing that I am offending the *majority of people I encounter* (yes, majority around here are Christians). You guys can say all you want to them "oh just lighten up" - but I can't. I love cute cat shirts a great deal - as a matter of fact, most cat shirts are instabuys with me - but I cannot wear a shirt that I KNOW will be offensive to so many. And no, it is not just some silly little thing that a handful of silly people will get offended by because they are so stupid and oversensitive. It is a very important, major thing.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 52.997s
First Sucker: baybei
Last Wooter to Woot: notkyle7
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago

First day sales 629
First day posts 51

countdrunkula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages countdrunkula

Does anyone have this shirt in a women's large? I bought a women's XL but the L fits me better.