jontannerhansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jontannerhansen
sonofafish wrote:The Scream was painted by Edvard Munch.

Spot on.

nimrond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond
Re: Scarecrogh

I love the colours and goghian style, the creativity and execution. The only thing I'm not sure of is the crow, though I don't really know why.

squamashii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squamashii

This is awesome! Sad it got rejected..

Re: The Starry Dark Knight

IbeMoDean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IbeMoDean
Mavyn wrote:Use of photo, celebrity likeness. No-nos.

Why isn't the Bob Ross submission rejected then?

chunkcherry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkcherry
Re: Pacifica

Oh! look at the pretty filters.

nimrond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond
Re: Earie

I don't think the square stlye of this looks good on a shirt. I would try a smoother, less clear-cut transition on the edges.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 68 Private Messages oakenspirit
lichme wrote:May be rejected for Cat

I checked in the prederby but no one answered... My logic dictates that a TIGER is not the CAT that the internet and woot is obsessed with but we shall see. /crossesfingers

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Pacific Night

Thanks guys, this was a challenging derby.

Very happy you liked it

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: Up All Night to Get Lucky

We’re Up all Night to Roll 20s

To the Tune of
“Get Lucky” by Daft Punk

We've played way too late to give up and go home
So let's roll the dice and put down our phones!

We’re up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to kill some
We're up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to roll 20s

We’re up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to kill some
We're up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to roll 20s

We're up all night to roll 20s
We're up all night to roll 20s!

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
nimrond wrote:I love the colours and goghian style, the creativity and execution. The only thing I'm not sure of is the crow, though I don't really know why.

I appreciate the input. I felt the image needing something darker, and heavier near the top to draw the eye up, or else the whole thing would be too weighted at the bottom. Whether or not I was successful, only time will tell.

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
Re: OFFICIAL submission from the Sithsmonian Institute

We here at the Sithsmonian Institute want you ordinary folk to know that we're not too stodgy to mingle with your ilk, have a little fun, and make a little money.

That's why we've instituted the Great Artist Limerick Tee Shirts. Now even simple people like yourselves can chuckle at great artists--while we chuckle at how you incorrectly pronounce their names.

Thank you for your patronage.

--G. Frank Gelée-Vertebrále
Commoner Relations

omarfeliciano

Re: Fiery Night

Patrick, I know you don't own a keyboard, and you won't be able to reply to this, but I just wanted to let you know that I love this and I'll be buying it next week

Great job!

aletayr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aletayr
Re: Fiery Night

I would love love love this on a Poster. A shirt's pretty cool, too. Excellent work.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
IbeMoDean wrote:Why isn't the Bob Ross submission rejected then?

Might still happen. TBH, Woot is not 100% consistent in their definition of 'celebrity'. I commented as much in the pre-derby thread.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ronin1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronin1013
oakenspirit wrote:I checked in the prederby but no one answered... My logic dictates that a TIGER is not the CAT that the internet and woot is obsessed with but we shall see. /crossesfingers

Nah man, i completely agree with you. "Calvin & Hobbes" is completely different iconography than the icons of "cat," or lol-cats, or cute cat, or even scroedinger's cat.
"Calvin & Hobbes" falls into a completely different iconic cultural landscape than any of these other over-saturated cat-related memes and trends.

Also: Awesome. Very nice. +1.
:-)

omarfeliciano

Re: Art Is Hard

I laughed so hard with your comment on the first version. I really like the message behind your submission.

This surely was a hard derby!

omarfeliciano

Re: A Different Life...

Very nice Oaken!

caspertheghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caspertheghost
ste7enl wrote:I appreciate the input. I felt the image needing something darker, and heavier near the top to draw the eye up, or else the whole thing would be too weighted at the bottom. Whether or not I was successful, only time will tell.

The crow is great for the darker tone. Also, you can say it connects with "Wheatfield with Crows", which is another work by Van Gogh. Great shirt design!

oakenspirit

Re: A Different Life...

Oh well- was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the kind words guys- Boo.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Sunflowers and Starry Nights

Awkward grammar, but you can't fix it with one word, unfortunately. Van Gogh is a person so the pronoun would be "he," not "it." However, if you say, "Yes, he is," the question, "Is what?" follows. And Van Gogh isn't "just sunflowers and starry nights"; his art is, at least according to the shirt. I think the whole "catch phrase" needs to be changed. (Sorry for the being pedantic and for all the quotation marks.)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ste7enl

caspertheghost wrote:The crow is great for the darker tone. Also, you can say it connects with "Wheatfield with Crows", which is another work by Van Gogh. Great shirt design!

Thanks, glad you like it

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: starry city lights

6 colors on black

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Re: Gogh Ninja Gogh Ninja Gogh

Ninja eyes in the failed attempt of doing Van Gogh

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

Woah! Are they doing orange shirts again? Will this be on AA? I love it! Would love to own it!

omarfeliciano

Re: 5th Brother Lost

Love it!

ste7enl

trekmiss wrote:Woah! Are they doing orange shirts again? Will this be on AA? I love it! Would love to own it!

It's their red option. Apparently some people see it as kind of orange, but it's from the swatch on the site (well, I actually made it more red after someone else said it was orange, so kinda odd).

oakenspirit

Re: Vincent Van Owl

Starry Night Owl!

Hope you like this one.

trekmiss

ste7enl wrote:It's their red option. Apparently some people see it as kind of orange, but it's from the swatch on the site (well, I actually made it more red after someone else said it was orange, so kinda odd).

Oh, ok. Well, bummer... It looks orange on my iPad. I was very excited to buy it! You still got my vote, though, just not my purchase.

You might check your colors. I'd hate for you to get a rejection for shirt color.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

It looks orange on my PC, too. I love it, but hard to know what it would look like on a red shirt.

EwingKlipspringer

Re: Deep Impressions

Wow.

Very nicely done.

ste7enl

trekmiss wrote:Oh, ok. Well, bummer... It looks orange on my iPad. I was very excited to buy it! You still got my vote, though, just not my purchase.

You might check your colors. I'd hate for you to get a rejection for shirt color.

I mean, I eye-droppered the swatch they provided, and then added a bit more red when someone said it looked orange. I can't imagine it would be rejected.

EwingKlipspringer

Re: Let's Get Goghing

FYI: Nothing is showing up on my monitor--or phone. Neither the design detail nor the shirt comp...

ste7enl

blk909 wrote:It looks orange on my PC, too. I love it, but hard to know what it would look like on a red shirt.

Hmm, just ran a second calibration on my monitor. Still very red on my screen.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
ste7enl wrote:Hmm, just ran a second calibration on my monitor. Still very red on my screen.

Don't worry, it's like those people who insist dark blue is purple. ;)

Woot gives us the web color hex code; if you use that, you're pretty safe, I think.

Votes appreciated.

perkothemagician

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perkothemagician
blk909 wrote:It looks orange on my PC, too. I love it, but hard to know what it would look like on a red shirt.

The shirt is the reddest part of the page for me...the corner of the background fades to orange and there's orange in the design but the shirt itself is quite red

ste7enl

marceepauff wrote:Don't worry, it's like those people who insist dark blue is purple. ;)

Woot gives us the web color hex code; if you use that, you're pretty safe, I think.

It's slightly off from the hex now, because of the original complaint about the exact hex looking orange, but it's 99% identical.

And yeah, I do find discussing colors with people very confusing, for that dark blue is purple reason. A lot of people also think light/warm browns are orange.

omarfeliciano

Re: Deep Impressions

Beautiful, nice strokes

trekmiss

I was just curious, because Woot's red shirts always look red, and this one looked very orange. I think the fade to orange in the corner might be deceiving my eyes a little, however I thought it was orange from the thumbnail before I clicked.

Here is a simple comparison that may help you see there is a slight difference, probably from the adjustment you made.

Woot's red seems a little cooler and yours a little warmer.

Anyway, I think the shirt is awesome, and will most likely be printing next weekend.

ste7enl

trekmiss wrote:I was just curious, because Woot's red shirts always look red, and this one looked very orange. I think the fade to orange in the corner might be deceiving my eyes a little, however I thought it was orange from the thumbnail before I clicked.

Here is a simple comparison that may help you see there is a slight difference, probably from the adjustment you made.

Woot's red seems a little cooler and yours a little warmer.

Anyway, I think the shirt is awesome, and will most likely be printing next weekend.

Yeah, I originally had that exact red and someone still called it orange, I regret making any adjustment now and should have just trusted the hex, but to me it's still very red, and the difference is like you said, slight. Thanks for the feedback and in depth assessment.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Let's Get Goghing

The paint brush is awkwardly phallic.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.