sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
JoysAreJummy wrote:Could you please provide three examples of shirts that have printed on Woot that have used this concept? Only then shall I consider your opinion valid.

Also, based on the countless Doctor Who, TMNT, and cat related shirts that have printed here, the term "done to death" doesn't really exist. Just sayin'

ROFL! You tell 'em!

drewniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewniak
sonofafish wrote:I suppose the Epic of Gilgamesh is pretty epic in the "that's awesome, dude" sense. But yeah, to my understanding epic in the scholarly sense means a long poem, essentially. That's kind of tough, especially with no text allowed.

I was researching epic fantasy. It is a modern genre to include star wars, harry potter, game of thrones, final fantasy type art, wow type art and such. The problem I think most are having with this derby is: Is this the true meaning of epic fantasy or the more modern genre? but looking at the art that was provided as a stepping stone i am beginning to think it has to do more with the modern genre.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

drewniak wrote:I was researching epic fantasy. It is a modern genre to include star wars, harry potter, game of thrones, final fantasy type art, wow type art and such. The problem I think most are having with this derby is: Is this the true meaning of epic fantasy or the more modern genre? but looking at the art that was provided as a stepping stone i am beginning to think it has to do more with the modern genre.

I think modern fantasy art still counts, most of it is inspired by the more classic stuff anyway. It's all about the art style, not as much the subject matter. A cartoony Harry Potter design wouldn't fit but it would work if you made a HP parody in an obviously high fantasy-inspired style.

drewniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewniak
ochopika wrote:I think modern fantasy art still counts, most of it is inspired by the more classic stuff anyway. It's all about the art style, not as much the subject matter. A cartoony Harry Potter design wouldn't fit but it would work if you made a HP parody in an obviously high fantasy-inspired style.

Thanks for the clarification. This is not the derby for me.

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

i tink u guyz r over-tinking it

ochopika

Staff

skemmis wrote:i tink u guyz r over-tinking it

Yea, prolly. Just do fantasy-shaped stuff.

greystone9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greystone9

Frazetta and Vallejo are Sword & Sorcery/Heroic Fantasy (also sometimes called "Low Fantasy") which is different from Epic/High Fantasy as a literature genre and the art that goes with it.

Conan the Barbarian, Fritz Leiber, etc are Heroic Fantasy; while Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Wheel of Time are Epic. In art, the genres can be pretty well divided by Heroic Fantasy=nearly naked people and Epic Fantasy=people wearing clothes and armor.

So, is the Derby actually asking for the imaginative realism genre as usually seen in Spectrum? Or does it mean sweeping High Fantasy in which case any style, even cartoony works?

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Seriously, just draw something awesome in the realm of fantasy. There's no need to wrangle over the precise meaning of epic.

High fantasy, low fantasy, dark fantasy, heroic fantasy, medieval fantasy, it's probably all close enough. Except for that sparkle fairy queen on a dewy leaf fantasy stuff.. :P

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

And I quote - "but we want to see your take." Go for it! Don't worry about semantics. Just put on your helm, bludgeon your computer to death and upload the whole mess!

greystone9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greystone9
bluetuba wrote:

Except for that sparkle fairy queen on a dewy leaf fantasy stuff.. :P

Unless it's from the little fairy on a leaf fantasy movie "Epic". ^_^

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

bluetuba wrote:Seriously, just draw something awesome in the realm of fantasy. There's no need to wrangle over the precise meaning of epic.

This. And no Star Wars. C'mon.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I'm pretty sure that was my Trapper Keeper circa 1986.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

This really is a rad theme- been drawing a ton- I ended up with one celtic knotty looking fantasy creature and really like it- would that be off-theme? I have a more traditional one too...

oakenspirit

ps- I think ochopika should guest pick 3rd place!

bluetuba

oakenspirit wrote:ps- I think ochopika should guest pick 3rd place!

I think that's a fabulous idea, it's her theme, she should get to choose one that she thinks best represents her idea of the theme!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ladykaihra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladykaihra

Awesome theme! I'm very excited to submit something for this derby, but I have to ask the total first world problem question... How the heck am I supposed to submit? I am missing a link somewhere that has the guidelines for submitting works? If so I woulds greatly appreciate someone linking it in response to my post.

ladykaihra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladykaihra
ladykaihra wrote:Awesome theme! I'm very excited to submit something for this derby, but I have to ask the total first world problem question... How the heck am I supposed to submit? I am missing a link somewhere that has the guidelines for submitting works? If so I woulds greatly appreciate someone linking it in response to my post.

......5 minutes after I post this I find the link on my own. Hooray for persistence XD

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
ladykaihra wrote:......5 minutes after I post this I find the link on my own. Hooray for persistence XD

Plus, if you look up 4 posts, tgentry has a wealth of information in his signature.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

I'm hoping for fantasy dragons!

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Is the submission process broken or did everyone take the week off? 17 entries in 24 minutes.

Nothing follows.

bwhitcomb82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bwhitcomb82

I thought that the entries this week were supposed to be in a certain style of art. Am I wrong? If that's the case, then maybe a few of the entries so far are actually on topic.

bluetuba

taternuggets wrote:Is the submission process broken or did everyone take the week off? 17 entries in 24 minutes.

Hopefully more people are taking time to craft something truely impressive and epic. Though I guess given the timing right after the big Kawaii influx of people just means we'll see a bunch of cute critters with swords and game of thrones references.. :-\

I was excited for like, a day!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Did the default derby page just get changed to sort by votes rather than date?

It's been the other way around for as long as I can remember. I figured the idea was to give new submissions more of a chance to get noticed, rather than the fog and hotness getting all the attention.

Not saying that it doesn't make more sense this way, it's probably more inviting for first time voters and people who just visit once a week to see what's popular. It'll be more important than ever for artists to get their designs in early or promote them elsewhere though!

ochopika

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote:Did the default derby page just get changed to sort by votes rather than date?

It's been the other way around for as long as I can remember. I figured the idea was to give new submissions more of a chance to get noticed, rather than the fog and hotness getting all the attention.

Not saying that it doesn't make more sense this way, it's probably more inviting for first time voters and people who just visit once a week to see what's hot. It'll be more important than ever for artists to get their designs in early though!

Just noticed this as well, interesting.

@bwhitcomb82: About the style thing, I think it's just about "giving your take" on epic fantasy style. Just make fantasy stuff!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Yeah, curious change. Maybe Woot is going to be running voter promotions again, in which case it makes sense to have the fog as immediately visible as the hotness. The effects of last week's promo were extremely volatile, never seen anything like it.

Ocho, good theme this week! I can't participate but I'm enjoying the entries.

ochopika

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote:Yeah, curious change. Maybe Woot is going to be running voter promotions again, in which case it makes sense to have the fog as immediately visible as the hotness. The effects of last week's promo were extremely volatile, never seen anything like it.

Ocho, good theme this week! I can't participate but I'm enjoying the entries.

Thanksh ^.^ . Yea the votes were crazy!! I wonder if they can afford to do something like that every week.

bluetuba

Curious to see if vote totals go back down to ~200 vote winners without any bribery.

lanayru

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lanayru

I wished there was a no cute rule :/ I was looking forward to shirts like "the archer" and the dragon-wolf thing, not cutesy cats with weapons.

oakenspirit

Yay for a dragon heavy fog!

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Spiritgreen wrote:Did the default derby page just get changed to sort by votes rather than date?

I hope this isn't a permanent change...seems like the fog gets all the attention as it is without this change... perhaps it's a test or accidental.

Nothing follows.

oakenspirit

taternuggets wrote:I hope this isn't a permanent change...seems like the fog gets all the attention as it is without this change... perhaps it's a test or accidental.

I noticed the ALL DESIGNS also comes up with best selling first where before it had been newest first - doubt it's accidental.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Perhaps it's a hiccup brought on by the fact that this would normally be a double take? I know during double takes, the default sorting is 'random', since the designs are loaded in order of the original derby.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Perhaps it's a hiccup brought on by the fact that this would normally be a double take?

I think it started with Kawaii.

move along

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

It's really unfair - especially to anyone who submitted late.

publicart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages publicart

Agreed with others about automatically sorting by most popular first. Really gives an advantage to those who catch votes early.

bscityhick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bscityhick

I would love to see a shirt about the Paper Bag Princess.

pandsala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pandsala
greystone9 wrote:Frazetta and Vallejo are Sword & Sorcery/Heroic Fantasy (also sometimes called "Low Fantasy") which is different from Epic/High Fantasy as a literature genre and the art that goes with it.

Conan the Barbarian, Fritz Leiber, etc are Heroic Fantasy; while Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Wheel of Time are Epic. In art, the genres can be pretty well divided by Heroic Fantasy=nearly naked people and Epic Fantasy=people wearing clothes and armor.

So, is the Derby actually asking for the imaginative realism genre as usually seen in Spectrum? Or does it mean sweeping High Fantasy in which case any style, even cartoony works?

Thank You! and yet the majority of submissions fall short of this mark...